FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Nerves/fear of riding after crash.

Nerves/fear of riding after crash.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he_Other_Alan OP   Man  over a year ago

Dunfermline

(Not sure this is the right place for this) I'm a new rider, only passed my cbt 3 weeks ago, but a few days after I passed I got knocked off my bike by someone just pulling into my lane without paying attention (I'm fine, just bruised) but I have found recently that when I try to go out I am so nervous/scared that I make stupid/dangerous mistakes and I'm just wondering if any of you more experienced riders have any advice that may help me get passed this block.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Just keep riding the more you ride the better it will be everyone's the same after an accident you over think thing as long as you are OK no harm it will make you a better rider just keep at it and you will soon be back to mortal

By *2funMan  over a year ago

newark/ lincoln

As the previous post said just get back on it. Maybe get some friends to go with you. Your just a bit to far from me to go out for a run.

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

After my crash it probably took a good couple of months to get back into it fully. Don’t rush it and if you find yourself making mistakes pull over and take a break. You’ll get there.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I crashed my bike a couple of years ago suffering multiple fractures.

It took me over a year to even look at my bike.

Because of COVID I was sent home from hospital with a bag full of pain killers and told the bones will reset themselves. Two years on I awake every morning to pain in my back, hips and collarbone.

I am happy to say I’m back riding my bike, once your over the hurdle of getting back on, the more often your out the less that fear becomes

You do however develop a 6th sense for bad road users

By *itty Jack SparrowMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

As many have said mate continue to ride is the main one for confidence but maybe consider additional lessons. Track day etc. Maybe have the instructor repeat the scenario with you at the location to see if the crash was avoidable by you being in a different lane position, given advice on hazard perception for bikers etc. To be clear I am NOT saying it's your fault I'm meaning that the road experience for a biker is much different than in a car so it really does help to get lessons. I personally don't think the CBT is enough to allow people on the road these days. There's too many cars on the road and the roads are in such a state its much less safe than when I started riding 17 years ago. Again mate I'm not criticising you at all I'm meaning the teaching and licensing system in general. I think motorway riding/driving should be a mandatory part of learning and assessed in the test. I also think car divers should have to undergo a biker awareness input (or we should be allowed to use the bus/cycle lanes )

By *oShrinkingVioletWoman  over a year ago

the land of unicorns and fairytales

Just keep at it and assume everyone is out to get you make those extra checks and use your lifesavers as you gain more experience you will get past it and start enjoying the riding experience again

By *ouplewanting30Couple  over a year ago

Thetford

Practice makes perfect. Keep at it. You can't control the idiots out on the road. Shit happens.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

As mentioned, get back on the saddle.

I had a van pull out of a side street 30yrs ago. Fortunately, they stopped at the last minute. I couldn't avoid them, but it was a glancing blow rather than slamming straight into it.

I had two bikes, so was able to jump on the spare. Was super nervous for a while especially at junctions. I still have a healthy respect for active junctions, looking to check that the driver has seen me, checking for any movement. It will take a while till you rebuild your confidence.

Also reflect on why the car didn't see you. Be aware of their blind spots, and make sure you're well clear of them when you're riding.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

By *ooking Fun!Man  over a year ago

NEWTOWNARDS

Get back out there, slow and steady let your confidence build. It'll come back

By *ust along for the rideMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"As many have said mate continue to ride is the main one for confidence but maybe consider additional lessons. Track day etc. Maybe have the instructor repeat the scenario with you at the location to see if the crash was avoidable by you being in a different lane position, given advice on hazard perception for bikers etc. To be clear I am NOT saying it's your fault I'm meaning that the road experience for a biker is much different than in a car so it really does help to get lessons. I personally don't think the CBT is enough to allow people on the road these days. There's too many cars on the road and the roads are in such a state its much less safe than when I started riding 17 years ago. Again mate I'm not criticising you at all I'm meaning the teaching and licensing system in general. I think motorway riding/driving should be a mandatory part of learning and assessed in the test. I also think car divers should have to undergo a biker awareness input (or we should be allowed to use the bus/cycle lanes ) "

By *eardedvillainMan  over a year ago

Bangor N.Ireland

My mates s1000r's gearbox shat itself and high-sided me up the road of a kerb and through a hedge, by some miracle no broken bones. I left it a week and was back out on my own bike taking it steady for abit as the what ifs still play in your mind a little, but was soon back to full chat .

Maybe try going out when the roads are less busy early mornings on B roads just to get your confidence up, the more miles you rack up the more confidence you'll get and be more relaxed and will be natural hopefully.

By *ust Us TogetherCouple  over a year ago

Newport

You have done the hardest bit which was getting back on your bike and riding it. Confidence will return. Getting knocked off can be the wakeup call to make you realise that as motorcyclists we are very vulnerable to the many idiots on the roads. No serious injuries was a bonus, some are not so lucky when they are new riders.

I have been riding for more years than I care to remember and ride most days for work or pleasure. You never get past thinking every twat will pull out in front of you and you learn to ride accordingly. You just have to accept there is a risk to biking as in everything you do, but never let it distract you from the freedom and enjoyment it gives.

You can only gain confidence and experience by riding...

By *ust Us TogetherCouple  over a year ago

Newport

I will add.....there is nothing quite like being on a fast, smooth, deserted, twisty A road with the throttle wound open and riding like you have a death wish!!!

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

We got knocked off our Pan European few weeks ago. As an advanced rider I put not being seriously injured to my training and road positioning, she did write my bike off however. I didn't have a problem getting back on as I do have a few bikes. Training gets you to analyse everything you do on your bike to assist you to decide if you can do things differently or safer, like I said collision may not be your fault but deciding if your way of the way you do things could it be a better outcome. My decision on my collision is if I hadn't done things the way I reacted It would have been worse. My advice is get some advanced training to help gain confidence back OP. Think about the collision from both sides and come up with a conclusion of what you may or may not be able to improve on. I have just had good news yesterday. Third Party insurance are paying up and admitted fault, not that there was any question of that. Hope that helps OP

By *icklowhornMan  over a year ago

Dublin &

Fair play for getting back on the bike so soon after your accident, I hope there isn’t too much damage. As a few have said already, some advanced training will really get your confidence back and it’s something we should all be doing every few years as it really helps your skill and awareness of what’s happening around you. Always remember that every Motorist is out there to get you! Ride safe lad and book a few advanced lessons.

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

It's not a matter of if, but when you get knocked off.

I used to commute on bike to London and was knocked off my bike 4-5 times. I got pretty blasè but failed to appreciate that it was mostly low speed, minor shoves.

Then I moved back to Scotland and was wiped out by a high speed van who slammed me between him and a drystone wall. Rag-doll'd about 100 ft along the road, smashed against the wall and dropped down into the field alongside the road . After recovery , the thought of climbing back on a bike scared me.

I ended up taking another biker's advice and joined an advanced instruction course. I explained my issue and they took the time to work on my technique and identify hazards quicker which helped me regain my confidence. Being able to discuss with folks with similar experience helped immensely .

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Get back on the bike ASAP!

Build up your congidence, try to go through thr site of your crash. It won't be a nice feeling for a good few times, but you need to master the nerves and anxiety.

What I did was just ride up down my road next day go a bit further and gradually build up the distance try use quite roads and not in rush hour

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

There's a lot of good advice here and there's a lot of shite as well.

I've no idea what your driving history is like, don't know if you've done any advanced driving where you would have learned about defensive driving... It's so much more important on a bike.

You've only just passed cbt so you could be in the position of having never ridden a bike before and 8 hours later your on your own on L plates in busy traffic... Pretty scary. They don't really go into much detail about defensive riding during cbt.

I used to be a bike instructor and I passed my advanced test, it was a while ago but those skills never leave you. I'm not far from you, if you want to meet up, talk about what happened, get on the bikes and go and see where it happened, see if there's anything you could have done differently, it might help.

Feel free to message me if you like.

I had a nice little accident a while ago. Some nice woman pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, had to pull up sharply or hit her car, bike went from under me and luckily was only my ankle that was damaged. Unfortunately now tho im on blood thinner tablets for the rest of my life.. woman drove off (thanks for that) anyway… knocked my confidence slightly, got a smaller bike then over time got my confidence back and gradually built myself back up to where i am now. So, best thing to do, if you fall off, get back up and on again.

» Add a new message to this topic