FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > North coast 500

North coast 500

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi all how are we doing? Me and the queen are looking at doing the nc500 in March anny good spots to stop at ? Recommendations?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *Xtriple7Couple  over a year ago

We really liked Sango Sands Oasis in Durness.

The main campsite in Ullapool centre and Bunchrew site just outside Inverness were good too

As for extra curricular, nocturnal activities both sites are busy, could pitch out the way in Ullapool but others were rammed and had to be quiet

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You guys must stop of at apple cross camp site , the road in itself is a huge experience, the site is also spot on and the local pub is excellent also . A definite must so !

By *landAnnCouple  over a year ago

Inverness

"Hi all how are we doing? Me and the queen are looking at doing the nc500 in March anny good spots to stop at ? Recommendations? "

If you need general info about route(s) etc, feel free to ask by pm

By *reenlanerCouple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Hi we we’re thinking of taking the caravan up with motorcycles in the back of the van and base ourselves somewhere to ride it on the bikes

By *kyeguyMan  over a year ago

portree

domt miss out on the isle of skye while doing the 500

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury

"You guys must stop of at apple cross camp site , the road in itself is a huge experience, the site is also spot on and the local pub is excellent also . A definite must so ! "

Totally agree. You can wild camp about 5 mins walk away from the pub on the loch,s edge, with public toilets not far from the pub either.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thank you will keep this in mind all help is appreciated really looking forward to spending quality time together too xx

By *immf-guyMan  over a year ago

Bath

NC500 is a fabulous route but best to do it out of season. It's become a victim of its own success and the limited infrastructure can't cope with the hoards in summer. Whenever you decide to go make sure you know how to use "single track roads with passing places" correctly and always pull over if someone is close on your tail - it will most likely be a local trying to get from A to B quickly.

We spent 2 weeks on the route in our motorhome, wild camped and used paid sites 50:50. Enjoy!

We are doing it, out of season to avoid the rush, I am thinking of early spring

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

"We are doing it, out of season to avoid the rush, I am thinking of early spring "

Should be good but remember even at that time you can be snowed in. Make sure you are prepared for such when you park up so that you can drive off in the morning.

Most people go clockwise, doing it anti clockwise is I think prettier.

Having lived and worked on it I think you will struggle to find a more beautiful place.

Which months would you recommend and which to avoid? I'm going to be doing it in my Transit camper this year.....

Inverness

"Which months would you recommend and which to avoid? I'm going to be doing it in my Transit camper this year....."

We live near 'the route', (there is no 1 single route but various ways to go following the basic coastal direction) and would advise avoid the mass 'tourist season' July-August..it's mayhem and single track roads etc just can't cope with the volume of people.

Easter can be busy too.

Agree anti-clockwise is best but spectacular in any direction..

Happy to help with basic info about routes/accommodation etc, by PM

Brilliant, we are looking at June

Inverness

"domt miss out on the isle of skye while doing the 500 "

-----------

Yes, Skye is lovely and well worth doing...

-----------

By *thLincsCpleCouple  over a year ago

Barton upon Humber

How long does it take to do the NC500, comfortably? Would 7 days be enough or is that pushing it? We have been advised not to bother with Skye due to the volume of visitors and the chaos it causes. We would be towing a tourer and have limited time off, could possibly stretch to 9 days

"How long does it take to do the NC500, comfortably? Would 7 days be enough or is that pushing it? We have been advised not to bother with Skye due to the volume of visitors and the chaos it causes. We would be towing a tourer and have limited time off, could possibly stretch to 9 days"

7 days is ample to see the scenery and a few stops to have a look around, it will still seem like a relaxed holiday with time to spare

Sky is OK if you go in the off season, if you can stretch to 9 days then it's worth spending one or two of them there

Inverness

"How long does it take to do the NC500, comfortably? Would 7 days be enough or is that pushing it? We have been advised not to bother with Skye due to the volume of visitors and the chaos it causes. We would be towing a tourer and have limited time off, could possibly stretch to 9 days"

--------------

7 days should be pretty comfortable, some may take longer some rush round it... (we met a French couple outside Tesco last summer who had whizzed round it in 18 hours on their motorcycle..) but 6 / 7 days is probably about average.

No doubt the 'experts' will wish to contradict this

Yes, Skye can get very congested, just like everywhere else at the height of the season July-August.

There is no set 'route'.. just roughly follow the coast and go wherever your nose takes you.

(If you need more info PM please.)

--------------------

By *thLincsCpleCouple  over a year ago

Barton upon Humber

That is perfect, thank you very much

We are trying rn between the nc and Isle of mull rally. We will be doing it in hubbies mr2 (no boot!) and wild camping as much as we can. That's gonna be a squeeze...

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

I love the NC500. Done (most of it) twice now, once in October '14 and then again last June.

The waterfront at Ullapool is one of my favourite places in the world.

Didn't notice it being overly busy last June, but that may have been just before it got too ridiculous.

Have gone anticlockwise both times and, seeing as I can't wait to get back, think I might have to do it the other way round next time. And take in Skye as well

"NC500 is a fabulous route but best to do it out of season. It's become a victim of its own success and the limited infrastructure can't cope with the hoards in summer. Whenever you decide to go make sure you know how to use "single track roads with passing places" correctly and always pull over if someone is close on your tail - it will most likely be a local trying to get from A to B quickly.

We spent 2 weeks on the route in our motorhome, wild camped and used paid sites 50:50. Enjoy!"

I’ve found may is an excellent time to do it .. not too busy and not too cold

I'm new on here and exploring the forums, I am native to Scotland and have never done this, I've led a sheltered life. I am hoping to get a motor home one day but I think a tent may be more realistic but will definitely be looking to go there. Hope you guys enjoy it. This country has many beautiful areas, so many I've missed out it seems

By *horman11Man  over a year ago

Thurso

If you are in Thurso give me a shout or if you need any help just message me on here x

By *ikeMike2012Man  over a year ago

Blackpool

I wonder if there is any fun to be had along the route

» Add a new message to this topic