FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Forum Timeouts

Forum Timeouts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *emini Man OP   Man  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Firstly I want to make it clear this does not relate to a specific timeout and is intended as genuine and constructive feedback as suggested/requested in the site FAQs/rules etc - in other words please don't ban me for it

Would it be possible when giving forum timeouts to provide more specific information about (a) which thread it relates to and (b) details of why the ban has been given i.e. what was posted specifically that resulted in a timeout and why?

I feel that would benefit all, as it would leave no room for doubt and help educate anyone getting a ban, especially where they're not sure what they said to merit one, so they can avoid doing so again in future.

The current generic timeout categories, and lack of notification of the thread a timeout relates to, leaves plenty of room for doubt and confusion, and given that feedback isn't always given when appealing a timeout, lessons aren't necessarily learned.

Appreciate that mods/admin have limited time but don't think adding this info would add a great deal to the workload and may actually cut down the number of appeals lodged as an additional benefit.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Great idea, OP

I second that.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

A mod picks a ban reason, the mails are then automated along with the length of the ban, there is not an option to add a message to it

If people go back over their posts and see which one has been removed you would probably be able to figure out which one it was

"A mod picks a ban reason, the mails are then automated along with the length of the ban, there is not an option to add a message to it

If people go back over their posts and see which one has been removed you would probably be able to figure out which one it was"

Would be good if what I suggested could be added though - slight tweak to the tool is all that is needed - and will help people better understand where they've gone wrong or crossed a line, as it really isn't always that clear and sometimes a subjective matter in terms of interpretation, so adding that would make things a lot more transparent for all.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It is normally clear for a mod when someone has broken rules going on the instructions of Admin. If they were misinterpreting bans the bans would be lifted when Admin see them.

However , if a mistake has been made and Admin review it for you they will lift it for you and let you know . If you don't hear anything back you should assume it is the right ban and go back over your posts to see what has been removed

I have no clue of how small a tweak it would be and if I am honest I don't think anyone else would know about that other than Admin themselves but your suggestion is in the right place and hopefully the thread will stay just as a suggestion

By *aron_TentakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

I moderate a nightclubing forum and we had a locked moderators only section where we posted up the name of who was on a time out, how long for and why. In the end, we had to drop the 'how long' and 'why' parts because troublemakers/trolls started to actively compete with each other over who could get the most impressive ban and for the most extreme reason... :/

By *aron_TentakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

I mean only moderators could post to it but all users could read it.

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

A little afraid to post (please don’t cast me out).

I think we all know when we are posting something that might get us a timeout. On the occasions I have had one I’ve really known it as I hit submit. Once or twice I’ve been a tad righteously indignant but even so I’ve known I was close to the edge.

The system could give the thread title I guess which might help if you’d posted rapidly on more than one thread and had pushed a few boundaries on all of them.

V x

"It is normally clear for a mod when someone has broken rules going on the instructions of Admin. If they were misinterpreting bans the bans would be lifted when Admin see them.

However , if a mistake has been made and Admin review it for you they will lift it for you and let you know . If you don't hear anything back you should assume it is the right ban and go back over your posts to see what has been removed

I have no clue of how small a tweak it would be and if I am honest I don't think anyone else would know about that other than Admin themselves but your suggestion is in the right place and hopefully the thread will stay just as a suggestion"

I hope it remains that way too (although one that is hopefully taken into account and actioned by admin) as that was my intent and the reasons I posted it here.

Just want to be clear that I'm not suggesting mods have misinterpreted anything per se - more that it's not always clear to a user when a line has been crossed which is why knowing which thread and why would help educate, and leave things in no doubt whatsoever.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I moderate a nightclubing forum and we had a locked moderators only section where we posted up the name of who was on a time out, how long for and why. In the end, we had to drop the 'how long' and 'why' parts because troublemakers/trolls started to actively compete with each other over who could get the most impressive ban and for the most extreme reason... :/

"

Is there a reason for posting peoples bans that way?

It would be helpful to know which topic caused the ban .

Some people are prolific across threads and it may not be blatantly obvious which particular post resulted in the ban.

Sorry you have a forum timeout for:

"Cock snot up you fart pipe "

as an example.

By *rettyLittleThingWoman  over a year ago

Swansea

I think this would be helpful, sometimes you'd like to know a reason.

I had one the other day, I genuinely didn't know why I got one. I checked the rules and there was nothing in what I said that was mentioned on the page as I worried I had done so, and it wasn't in anyway offensive (I was trying to explain something).

I just feel it could be helpful to know sometimes especially if you haven't been abusive or break obvious rules in a post.