FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Things to do in the area surrounding Cap

Things to do in the area surrounding Cap

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ap d Agde Harbour OP   Man  over a year ago

Cap d Agde in May 23 and September 23 Meals in the apartment , horse riding and boat trips

I am stating in the village in the apartment with Kelly and now planning how to spend the days .

Whilst I know all about entertainment within the village , the intention is to visit the surrounding area and am seeking recommendations of places to visit ( for a normal French holidau) . Preferably places easily accessible by bus / train as I have yet to book a hire car . I assume Sete is very picturesque , Agde has a ggod market and Montpelier / Beziers good shops . Any other recommmendations - I am happy to book an over night stay else whrre for longer trips ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

You really need a car to get around this wonderful part of France full of medieval villages, walled towns and truly stunning scenery.

Other than Sete, Montpellier and Beziers I would recommend a trip to Pezenas, just 20 minutes by car from the village.

The old town has very grandiose medieval architecture and if you visit on a Saturday morning there is an excellent market.

A great place to shop, wander about and have lunch and there are regular bus services there from Agde.

Cap d Agde in May 23 and September 23 Meals in the apartment , horse riding and boat trips

"You really need a car to get around this wonderful part of France full of medieval villages, walled towns and truly stunning scenery.

Other than Sete, Montpellier and Beziers I would recommend a trip to Pezenas, just 20 minutes by car from the village.

The old town has very grandiose medieval architecture and if you visit on a Saturday morning there is an excellent market.

A great place to shop, wander about and have lunch and there are regular bus services there from Agde."

. Thank you for the advice .It looks like I will need to hire a car in order to get around

By *ouraineCouple  over a year ago

Blois, France

We've been to Minerve a couple of times, its 80km from Cap so you definitely need a car. Minerve is where the Minervois wine comes from, its an ancient fortified town on a rock. The town is great to visit but even better are the gorges below it, the rocks are worn smooth by the water in winter but are exposed when the level drops in summer. Plenty of people nude sunbathe higher up the gorge.

Another day out is 65km from Cap starting at Le pont du Diable (The devil's bridge), here you can rent a canoe and paddle up the gorge which is great on a hot day. Its best to leave the car in the carpark then use the free bus service that takes you up to St Guilhem le Désert (an ancient town) and to Le grotte de Clamouse (guided tour of the caves).

Its great to discover the back country and the muggles, but we're always happy to get back to Cap in the evening to be among our own kind.

Thank you for the replies . I have taken the advice and hired a car . I just need a little practice driving in France . Hopefully as I used to hold an LGV licence I can adjust quickly .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Marseillan is not far from Cap D'agde and a great place to visit. Lovely quayside and a great place to visit is Noilly Prat distillery, they do tours in English and French and some lovely restaurants on the Quayside

By *owel CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Living in South of France

Canal barge trip on Canal du Midi, taking in 9 Canal Locks of Fonseranes. I know that the campsite runs day trips, including Lunch and Wine, for €42 each.

Cap d’Agde, France

Can't beat a day at Terre de Soleil, 30 minutes drive from the Cap.

Naturist, great pool, sunbeds, the main course from the lunch menu and a half litre of wine plus a play area all for 35 euros per couple. (couple only resort)

By *rivateshooter2Man  over a year ago

Stoke

agree 100% re Marseillan. And some great places to buy quality Languedoc wines too.

By *akrox23Couple  over a year ago

notts

Yes Marseillan and Pezenas are a must. There is the river jousting too at Sete and Marseillan on a Sat and loads of canoeing in the hills at Roquebrun and St Guilhem les deserts which is beautiful too.

Thank you everyone for very informative replies . ( including those sent via pm ) . They were all very useful and there are more than sufficient places to visit in ten days . In light of these comments I have booked a hire car which will be picked up at the airport .

A few more questions.

1. Best restaurants within 50 miles of Cap . ?

2. If driving to Montpelier do you have to stop to pay the toll or can you purchase in advance . ?

3. Is parking pay parking or free in the surrounding areas ?

Thank you . Patrick

Cap d’Agde, France

La Table d'Emilie in the centre of Marseillan old town is in the Michelin guide, 35-55 euros menu. We eat there for special occasions.

Le Chateau du Port in Marseillan old Port is highly regarded 29-39 euro menu. A traditional classy restaurant.

Both restaurant are 20 minutes drive from the naturist village, Parking free

You can access the A9 to Montpellier at Bessan, the toll is about 3 euros, just take a ticket at the entrance, it takes about 1 hour. Alternatively take the nice drive to the other side of Meze to pick up the motorway, toll 1.60 euros to Montpellier or just stay on the National road D613 for free which takes 1h.15 minutes.

Parking is usually free other than the centre of Montpellier and Beziers. Pezenas has a pay car park but also a very large free parking in the centre.

Polygone is the largest and most central car park in Montpellier, 2.20 euros per hour.

Cap d’Agde, France

On Wednesdays you can travel by train from Agde Station to the centre of Montpellier (Gare St Roche) for 1 euro, or any other station within the Herald Dept.

The number 4 bus will take you from the entrance of the village naturist to Agde station.

There are regular buses and trains

"On Wednesdays you can travel by train from Agde Station to the centre of Montpellier (Gare St Roche) for 1 euro, or any other station within the Herald Dept.

The number 4 bus will take you from the entrance of the village naturist to Agde station.

There are regular buses and trains"

That is useful to know. Do you just ask for the 1 Euro fare . I guess there might be quite a long queue of people for these ticket. As I need to go to Leroy Merlin I may drive as well. Thank you for the advice.

Cap d’Agde, France

Download an App to your phone called 'Trainline'

There is an English version, very easy to use.

Imput your destination, date, times and you will get a list of all trains on that date, which you can pay for online.

Trains are only 1 euro on Wednesdays but there might be the odd train going to your destination that you need to pay more, so to get that fare you need to flexible with your times.

Some trains also go from Marseillan Plage station which is nearer if you wish to walk.

To go anywhere but the centre of towns would be difficult so specific trips like Leroy Merlin, Apple Store etc would be best made with a car.

By *acksparrow99Man  over a year ago

Canary Wharf, London

When I go to Cap, I stay in the village or visit Terre d'Soleil, for obvious reasons But If wanted to see the surroundings I'd hire a small car (some country lanes and medieval streets can be narrow), get a Michelin guide and enjoy smaller, quieter towns and food.

By *ouraineCouple  over a year ago

Blois, France

"Marseillan is not far from Cap D'agde and a great place to visit. Lovely quayside and a great place to visit is Noilly Prat distillery, they do tours in English and French and some lovely restaurants on the Quayside "

Thanks for the tip Tlhcouple1, we did the tour of the Noilly Prat Vermouth factory today - really interesting and just 9€50 per person with a tasting at the end. You're right about Marseillan too, its really picturesque and we ate at one of the restos on the quayside.

Someone else on this thread said Pézenas is worth visiting so that's where we are for 3 nights. The old town is great and the normal shops you see in any French town aren't present, instead there are loads of little independant boutiques.

3 days with the muggles is about enough though so we're looking forward to to Cap on Saturday

"La Table d'Emilie in the centre of Marseillan old town is in the Michelin guide, 35-55 euros menu. We eat there for special occasions.

Le Chateau du Port in Marseillan old Port is highly regarded 29-39 euro menu. A traditional classy restaurant.

You can access the A9 to Montpellier at Bessan, the toll is about 3 euros, just take a ticket at the entrance, it takes about 1 hour. Alternatively take the nice drive to the other side of Meze to pick up the motorway, toll 1.60 euros to Montpellier or just stay on the National road D613 for free which takes 1h.15 minutes.

Parking is usually free other than the centre of Montpellier and Beziers. Pezenas has a pay car park but also a very large free parking in the centre.

Polygone is the largest and most central car park in Montpellier, 2.20 euros per hour."

. I have just checked the websites for these restaurants and the reviews are good . It will have to be a wine free meal as I am driving and the french drink / driving limit is very low

"Canal barge trip on Canal du Midi, taking in 9 Canal Locks of Fonseranes. I know that the campsite runs day trips, including Lunch and Wine, for €42 each. "
Hello. Thank you. Where do these start from. ? I will like to give it a try.

"La Table d'Emilie in the centre of Marseillan old town is in the Michelin guide, 35-55 euros menu. We eat there for special occasions.

Polygone is the largest and most central car park in Montpellier, 2.20 euros per hour."

. Hello. I am going to try these. Do you need to book in advance or can you just turn up. ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Marseillan is not far from Cap D'agde and a great place to visit. Lovely quayside and a great place to visit is Noilly Prat distillery, they do tours in English and French and some lovely restaurants on the Quayside

Thanks for the tip Tlhcouple1, we did the tour of the Noilly Prat Vermouth factory today - really interesting and just 9€50 per person with a tasting at the end. You're right about Marseillan too, its really picturesque and we ate at one of the restos on the quayside.

Someone else on this thread said Pézenas is worth visiting so that's where we are for 3 nights. The old town is great and the normal shops you see in any French town aren't present, instead there are loads of little independant boutiques.

3 days with the muggles is about enough though so we're looking forward to to Cap on Saturday "

Glad you enjoyed Marseillan, we love the place. We are off to Pezenas today for 2 days and then to Cap on Monday for the day

By *voncouplexxCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

How about

Day trip to Milau Bridge g interesting visitors centre and then on to see the caves where Roquefort is made and back via Guillem le desert as so one also mentioned.

We often go Kyaking g several places within about an hour on the river - brilliant day.

Narbonne is worth a visit as is Carcasson (towards toulouse)

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

It’s great cycling country. Stick to the coast so no hills. I’ve cycled most of it from Argeles to Marseille.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

"It’s great cycling country. Stick to the coast so no hills. I’ve cycled most of it from Argeles to Marseille."

Yes

I worked in montpelier a few years ago ..not outstandingly beautiful but plenty to do.

Went on a tour one day to a troufle festival where the big piggies had to discover buried truffles

» Add a new message to this topic