FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Teeth

Teeth

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *astello OP   Woman 3 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Lets talk oral.. hygiene or turkey teeth or anything mouthy..

Anyhoo..l went to the dentist today and it was mentioned a very expensive treatment for the perfect smile.. I grew up in a generation of extraction is king and dentists are the devil. But have we now gone too perfect?..

Ps im not advocating poor dental hygiene but are mere imperfections deemed unacceptable nowadays.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r_Insatiable666Man 3 weeks ago

Cork

"Lets talk oral.. hygiene or turkey teeth or anything mouthy..

Anyhoo..l went to the dentist today and it was mentioned a very expensive treatment for the perfect smile.. I grew up in a generation of extraction is king and dentists are the devil. But have we now gone too perfect?..

Ps im not advocating poor dental hygiene but are mere imperfections deemed unacceptable nowadays. "

I have an overbite and poor gums but it's beyond weird, I've never had a need for anything since my braces when I was 16 (they didn't do a great job). I've never had a filling.

By *panishRebelMan 3 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

The most valuable diamonds have a flaw. The perfect factory made diamonds have no great value. So why isn't it the same with teeth?

Or bodies in general for that matter?

Tír na nÓg

Ps im not advocating poor dental hygiene but are mere imperfections deemed unacceptable nowadays.

I have an overbite and poor gums but it's beyond weird, I've never had a need for anything since my braces when I was 16 (they didn't do a great job). I've never had a filling. "

That's a great compliment to you.

Tír na nÓg

"The most valuable diamonds have a flaw. The perfect factory made diamonds have no great value. So why isn't it the same with teeth?

Or bodies in general for that matter?"

I just felt that l didnt see the imperfection but is a little flaw ok..drawing attention to something that didnt bother me in the pursuit of perfection... Maybe its his job.. But are we now morphing into each other to be aesthetically perfect..

Isnt there beauty in it. A little different

By *panishRebelMan 3 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

"The most valuable diamonds have a flaw. The perfect factory made diamonds have no great value. So why isn't it the same with teeth?

I just felt that l didnt see the imperfection but is a little flaw ok..drawing attention to something that didnt bother me in the pursuit of perfection... Maybe its his job.. But are we now morphing into each other to be aesthetically perfect..

Isnt there beauty in it. A little different "

If it doesn't hinder the function of eating etc, and doesn't bother you or your perception of yourself, I feel/think you don't need to do anything about it. It will only make more money for the dentist.

By *r_Insatiable666Man 3 weeks ago

Cork

If it doesn't hinder the function of eating etc, and doesn't bother you or your perception of yourself, I feel/think you don't need to do anything about it. It will only make more money for the dentist."

Somewhat agree here, we conform to a beauty standard that's sometimes completely unrealistic/unobtainable. I couldn't imagine going to whiten my teeth monthly etc

By *oco_Social_ClubWoman 3 weeks ago

North

Your smile Is very important let's put it out there is the first thing people look as is straight in your face. But I have to say there is a lot of turkys smiles out there a bit fake but if people are happy what's what matters

By *ipstick KissesWoman 3 weeks ago

South Down, Northern Ireland

As someone who took a seesaw to the mouth at 3 years of age, and who ditched her braces at 17 in a fit of pique (I figured I'd weathered the storm of being teased about them for so long that I didn't care anymore what people thought), I'm acutely aware of my wonky teeth. Maybe it bothers me more than it does others but I do crave a perfect smile. If I could turn the clock back, I'd give 17 year old me a hefty boot on the backside. And if I ever come into money, fixing my teeth would be high on my to do list

By *aptain Caveman41Man 3 weeks ago

Home

I had my jaw cracked in hurling so my teeth are a bit wonky now

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple 3 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

I have invisalign at the mo. Costs a bloody fortune, but hey, I get better lookin each day

By *eductivepiercingsWoman 3 weeks ago

louth

Ps im not advocating poor dental hygiene but are mere imperfections deemed unacceptable nowadays. "

The beauty industry is worth Billions, we all strive to be better versions of ourselves. Hair, nails, eyebrows, eye lashes, tanning, beauty salons have menus as big as a Chinese restaurant. The dentists are following trends set overseas. Some people have lots of spare cash! The dentists are just looking for their share of it. Get it done or not, the bad part is, it's now stuck in your mind and won't leave it, like a small stain on a wall, you won't be happy until you have a fresh coat of paint.

By *aseylee324Couple 3 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

It's all about exploiting people's insecurities to make money, as we become increasingly superficial.

But sure, whatever floats one's boat. You just have to wonder where it all ends

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

Been blessed with good straight chompers..never had the need for braces..few fillings alright.

By *ubadubdubWoman 3 weeks ago

Hereabouts

If it doesn't hinder the function of eating etc, and doesn't bother you or your perception of yourself, I feel/think you don't need to do anything about it. It will only make more money for the dentist."

Agreed. However I did end up getting a brace in my late 30's because of very crowded teeth and the dentist was concerned about decay as some surfaces couldn't be cleaned. Fair enough. That seemed practical.

One notiony local orthodontist I went to locally quoted me a small fortune and 2.5 years to tweak them to standardised perfection.

I found a qualified dentist to straighten them 'enough' for half that price over 1.5 years. I'm Happy out with that.

By *iny DelightWoman 3 weeks ago

City Centre

There was a certain embarrassment or ridicule associated with dentures years ago and yet that straight mouthful of porcelain seems to be all the rage. Some cosmetic procedures look great, like composite bonding, which is a cheaper and effective option for some. I can't say I'm a fan of the ultra white teeth purchased on holidays in Turkey.

Also, for something so important, it always annoyed me that teeth and eyes are not considered part of health care.

By *inxySTV/TS 3 weeks ago

dublin

"I have invisalign at the mo. Costs a bloody fortune, but hey, I get better lookin each day"

I got then about 8 years ago. Took ages as I had the fangs top and bottom. About €3500 at the time. Word of advice, get the wire retainer when the plastic brace is finished or your teeth will start moving back after about 4 years

By *ednuts101Man 3 weeks ago

North Dublin

It would seem in this day and age any imperfections or individuality is frowned upon. Everyone seems to want to look and act like clones of each other

By *ealitybitesMan 3 weeks ago

Belfast

Never had any cosmetic work done or teeth whitening but I have a mouth full of metal.

Nothing to do with what I was eating and everything to do with grinding my teeth and the strength of my bite.

I bit through every gumshield I was given.

By *reenfrogoMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

"Your smile Is very important let's put it out there is the first thing people look as is straight in your face. But I have to say there is a lot of turkys smiles out there a bit fake but if people are happy what's what matters "

It took me a minute or two to cop what a turkey smile was…..i was trying to think what a turkey looks like when they smile …… i badly need a coffee

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple 3 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

"It's all about exploiting people's insecurities to make money, as we become increasingly superficial.

But sure, whatever floats one's boat. You just have to wonder where it all ends"

The way i see it. Every corner of the globe has been obsessed with excessive body modification since the dawn of time. Bounding babies feet/heads in Asia, elongating necks in Africa, tattoos in Australia, giant plates in lips/ears in South America.

At least nowadays we are making ourself look more human.

By *eroLondonMan 3 weeks ago

Mayfair

"There was a certain embarrassment or ridicule associated with dentures years ago and yet that straight mouthful of porcelain seems to be all the rage. Some cosmetic procedures look great, like composite bonding, which is a cheaper and effective option for some. I can't say I'm a fan of the ultra white teeth purchased on holidays in Turkey.

Also, for something so important, it always annoyed me that teeth and eyes are not considered part of health care."

I agree with you: ultra white teeth look contrived and unnatural. There has to be an element of imperfection within the perfection to complement the smile.

By *amesnplanesMan 3 weeks ago

Brighton

"It's all about exploiting people's insecurities to make money, as we become increasingly superficial. "

You've absolutely nailed it. Our teeth serve a purpose namely for food preparation etc.

Alas the dental profession have considered the straightening, veneers and other cosmetic so called treatments as a huge income opportunity.

By *aseylee324Couple 3 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

"It's all about exploiting people's insecurities to make money, as we become increasingly superficial.

But sure, whatever floats one's boat. You just have to wonder where it all ends

The way i see it. Every corner of the globe has been obsessed with excessive body modification since the dawn of time. Bounding babies feet/heads in Asia, elongating necks in Africa, tattoos in Australia, giant plates in lips/ears in South America.

At least nowadays we are making ourself look more human."

Debatable

By *eductivepiercingsWoman 3 weeks ago

louth

But to add to people's fears the electric chair was invented by a dentist... so next time you sit in the chair check it

By *ex coupleCouple 3 weeks ago

wexford

"Never had any cosmetic work done or teeth whitening but I have a mouth full of metal.

Nothing to do with what I was eating and everything to do with grinding my teeth and the strength of my bite.

I bit through every gumshield I was given. "

Don’t mean to blow me own trumpet (Jack here )

Luckily enough to not have any dental works done ever bar a clean ever few years

No fillings

No braces

No veneers

No nothing

And am very greatful

By *elle111Woman 3 weeks ago

NI

I’m one of those people that teeth are my thing and can be the Ick factor. Stems from one of my first jobs ever as a trainee dental nurse and some horror stories there. However the love of my life didn’t have the most cosmetically perfect set so maybe it’s all in my head!

By *ikey2022EireMan 3 weeks ago

Clare

An interesting post

We crave perfection and teeth are first thing I notice mainly because I'm conscious of mine

But hey ho, we can't all be perfect

By *leasurer77Man 3 weeks ago

Athlone

Clean teeth an absolute necessity. If you don't clean and look after your teeth then you're just lazy. It's a 4 minute a day job!

By *ex coupleCouple 3 weeks ago

wexford

"Clean teeth an absolute necessity. If you don't clean and look after your teeth then you're just lazy. It's a 4 minute a day job!"

Personal hygiene in general only takes minutes

Major requirement of ours

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

The small imperfections are what makes life interesting…I’ve know a few ladies who had a crooked tooth straightened and for me it looked better before.

» Add a new message to this topic