FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > same sex marriage

same sex marriage

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ouple1234 OP   Couple  over a year ago

BELFAST UK

You would think the people that are ment to run this country would pull their heads together. If people want to get married should it really matter if its two men or two women

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"You would think the people that are ment to run this country would pull their heads together. If people want to get married should it really matter if its two men or two women "

Got to say I totally agree with u what is the big deal in all fairness. They are people same as rest of us why should they be denied the right to show their comittment to each other just because the twats that run our country are a pack of nodding dogs with no ability to recognise the need for change.

Allow same sex marriage why the hell not I've yet to hear a convincing argument against it

"You would think the people that are ment to run this country would pull their heads together. If people want to get married should it really matter if its two men or two women

Got to say I totally agree with u what is the big deal in all fairness. They are people same as rest of us why should they be denied the right to show their comittment to each other just because the twats that run our country are a pack of nodding dogs with no ability to recognise the need for change.

Allow same sex marriage why the hell not I've yet to hear a convincing argument against it "

hear hear

Unfortunately this is all political hoodwink one party has again walked another party down the pad and they've rejected the proposal.

[Removed by poster at 29/04/13 20:32:02]

I find it ludicrous that religious views have any bearing on these types of decisions, an absolute joke.

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

Some sex marriage would be nice as well.

No one else is allowed to discriminate against a person being Gay só i dont see how the church can get away wit it.

Its this country all over again...religion...i really can't believe that these people have the right to discriminate against people who want to make a life commitment to each other legally.

"Its this country all over again...religion...i really can't believe that these people have the right to discriminate against people who want to make a life commitment to each other legally.

"

First off we are all on here because we are open minded, sexually active and tolerant people. Are we not discriminating against those ppl who feel same sex marriage is wrong? And before anyone starts I am a bi male who is pro same sex marriage!!

Hold on! The other side of the coin. Same sex marriages are allowed. But not in church. Why should that have anything to do with politics. If you are a priest or a minister why should you 'have' to marry two same sex partners.

Our minister wouldn't marry you if you were in a second marriage! Can you force them?

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

[Removed by poster at 29/04/13 21:15:25]

Lucan

"No one else is allowed to discriminate against a person being Gay só i dont see how the church can get away wit it."

This is a government matter though, not a church matter. They're entirely separate issues. Nobody can force a church to change their rules from the outside. That would be like forcing golf clubs to allow members to use footballs instead of golf balls.

"Hold on! The other side of the coin. Same sex marriages are allowed. But not in church. Why should that have anything to do with politics. If you are a priest or a minister why should you 'have' to marry two same sex partners.

Our minister wouldn't marry you if you were in a second marriage! Can you force them? "

Ok that's fair enough but is it not time that the option should be given for same sex marriages to be recognised by everyone across the board. Yes a civil marriage same sex is allowed but why should they not be given the option if so desired to have a church wedding. Surely in one sense it's just a venue and I agree that the clerics can't be forced to perform the ceremony but that doesn't just apply to same sex marriages as u said some won't marry a couple where one person has been divorced or others will only perform a ceremony if u are a recognised member of their congregation. Now how u become recognised in a parish is another issue I'm sure very few Dublin priests can recognise every church attendant but there are always going to be "issues". Personally I just feel its time for same sex relationships to be given the same options as every other person in the country that's all

Lucan

"Hold on! The other side of the coin. Same sex marriages are allowed. But not in church. Why should that have anything to do with politics. If you are a priest or a minister why should you 'have' to marry two same sex partners.

Our minister wouldn't marry you if you were in a second marriage! Can you force them?

Ok that's fair enough but is it not time that the option should be given for same sex marriages to be recognised by everyone across the board. Yes a civil marriage same sex is allowed but why should they not be given the option if so desired to have a church wedding. Surely in one sense it's just a venue and I agree that the clerics can't be forced to perform the ceremony but that doesn't just apply to same sex marriages as u said some won't marry a couple where one person has been divorced or others will only perform a ceremony if u are a recognised member of their congregation. Now how u become recognised in a parish is another issue I'm sure very few Dublin priests can recognise every church attendant but there are always going to be "issues". Personally I just feel its time for same sex relationships to be given the same options as every other person in the country that's all "

A Church is more or less like a club. People accept the rules and join the club. If you try playing golf in a football club's grounds, they will promptly throw you out as it's against their rules. Can you enforce them to let you on the basis that it's perfectly legal to play golf? Likewise, why in the name of God (see what I did there?) would you want to get married in a church when you don't agree with their rules, and why would you want an organisation that you fundamentally disagree with, to bestow some sort of recognition on you? How could it possibly mean anything?

Ok that's fair enough but is it not time that the option should be given for same sex marriages to be recognised by everyone across the board. Yes a civil marriage same sex is allowed but why should they not be given the option if so desired to have a church wedding. Surely in one sense it's just a venue and I agree that the clerics can't be forced to perform the ceremony but that doesn't just apply to same sex marriages as u said some won't marry a couple where one person has been divorced or others will only perform a ceremony if u are a recognised member of their congregation. Now how u become recognised in a parish is another issue I'm sure very few Dublin priests can recognise every church attendant but there are always going to be "issues". Personally I just feel its time for same sex relationships to be given the same options as every other person in the country that's all [/quote

Personally I agree. As do many priests and clerics. The problem is that many in the church see same sex rships as a sin and cannot condone it. Remember marriage is only a public promise and a promise before the eyes of god. So stand up in church and say 'I love x' and you promise to always do so and x does the same then effectively you are married. The ritual that we see today is just ritual.

So back to the point. !

If the church believes it to be a sin it would be hypocritical for them to ask god to bless it. ]

Ok that's fair enough but is it not time that the option should be given for same sex marriages to be recognised by everyone across the board. Yes a civil marriage same sex is allowed but why should they not be given the option if so desired to have a church wedding. Surely in one sense it's just a venue and I agree that the clerics can't be forced to perform the ceremony but that doesn't just apply to same sex marriages as u said some won't marry a couple where one person has been divorced or others will only perform a ceremony if u are a recognised member of their congregation. Now how u become recognised in a parish is another issue I'm sure very few Dublin priests can recognise every church attendant but there are always going to be "issues". Personally I just feel its time for same sex relationships to be given the same options as every other person in the country that's all

A Church is more or less like a club. People accept the rules and join the club. If you try playing golf in a football club's grounds, they will promptly throw you out as it's against their rules. Can you enforce them to let you on the basis that it's perfectly legal to play golf? Likewise, why in the name of God (see what I did there?) would you want to get married in a church when you don't agree with their rules, and why would you want an organisation that you fundamentally disagree with, to bestow some sort of recognition on you? How could it possibly mean anything? "

Sorry mike I've got to disagree with u on the club thing. How many non practising Catholics get married in the church every day and are allowed. Equally how many clerics perform marriages outside of the enclosure of the church. I don't think the whole same sex marriage comes down to the good old boys club but I don't see a reason to stop them using a church if that is their chosen venue. How many children get christened,get communion and also confirmation and most likely get we'd within the confines of the same church and yet may never darken the doors of same church or utter a single prayer from one end of the yr to the next. It's not about what they do or don't believe in its about freedom of choice. Who are any of us to restrict couples from a marriage just because we think it's wrong or that it conflicts with their fundamental beliefs. That is none of our business in the grand scheme of things. If they want to get married on Jupiter then let them what gives any one of us the right to dictate how somebody else should lead their lives.

Lucan

"

Ok that's fair enough but is it not time that the option should be given for same sex marriages to be recognised by everyone across the board. Yes a civil marriage same sex is allowed but why should they not be given the option if so desired to have a church wedding. Surely in one sense it's just a venue and I agree that the clerics can't be forced to perform the ceremony but that doesn't just apply to same sex marriages as u said some won't marry a couple where one person has been divorced or others will only perform a ceremony if u are a recognised member of their congregation. Now how u become recognised in a parish is another issue I'm sure very few Dublin priests can recognise every church attendant but there are always going to be "issues". Personally I just feel its time for same sex relationships to be given the same options as every other person in the country that's all [/quote

Personally I agree. As do many priests and clerics. The problem is that many in the church see same sex rships as a sin and cannot condone it. Remember marriage is only a public promise and a promise before the eyes of god. So stand up in church and say 'I love x' and you promise to always do so and x does the same then effectively you are married. The ritual that we see today is just ritual.

So back to the point. !

If the church believes it to be a sin it would be hypocritical for them to ask god to bless it. ]"

I agree with most of that, but if you believe same sex marriage is right, then you're highly unlikely to be a member of any of the mainstream churches. If you're not a member, you have no entitlement to expect them to convey any of their sacraments on you, and if you're not a member, why would you want them to?

Just remember GOD IS WATCHING YOU ALL.... youll stand before him one day.....

q up in front of me peeps

Lucan

A Church is more or less like a club. People accept the rules and join the club. If you try playing golf in a football club's grounds, they will promptly throw you out as it's against their rules. Can you enforce them to let you on the basis that it's perfectly legal to play golf? Likewise, why in the name of God (see what I did there?) would you want to get married in a church when you don't agree with their rules, and why would you want an organisation that you fundamentally disagree with, to bestow some sort of recognition on you? How could it possibly mean anything?

Sorry mike I've got to disagree with u on the club thing. How many non practising Catholics get married in the church every day and are allowed. Equally how many clerics perform marriages outside of the enclosure of the church. I don't think the whole same sex marriage comes down to the good old boys club but I don't see a reason to stop them using a church if that is their chosen venue. How many children get christened,get communion and also confirmation and most likely get we'd within the confines of the same church and yet may never darken the doors of same church or utter a single prayer from one end of the yr to the next. It's not about what they do or don't believe in its about freedom of choice. Who are any of us to restrict couples from a marriage just because we think it's wrong or that it conflicts with their fundamental beliefs. That is none of our business in the grand scheme of things. If they want to get married on Jupiter then let them what gives any one of us the right to dictate how somebody else should lead their lives. "

Of course there is a huge amount of hypocrisy around Communion, confirmation, weddings, etc, but there is a difference bergen being a half heated member and not being a member at all. If you are not a Catholic, you cannot get married in a Catholic Church. I'm sure the other churches have the same rule. If you're not a Catholic, why would you have any interest in getting married in a Catholic Church? You cannot force a religion to change it's beliefs so that other people can use their churches. It makes no sense.

"

So back to the point. !

If the church believes it to be a sin it would be hypocritical for them to ask god to bless it. ]

I agree with most of that, but if you believe same sex marriage is right, then you're highly unlikely to be a member of any of the mainstream churches. If you're not a member, you have no entitlement to expect them to convey any of their sacraments on you, and if you're not a member, why would you want them to? "

I don't think being gay is a sin and there are lots of people who would agree with me. Being gay doesn't preclude you from being religious. I'm sure it would be difficult in the church - imagine knowing you are gay - believing in god - going to same church all of your life - falling in love with a man - being faithful true and virginal - proposed to - told by your church you're a sinner and NO. Pretty tough I think.

Equally gay guy who fucks most of ireland finally falls in love and wants to get married. Wants a church wedding because better light for the pictures and your flambuoyant friends. Horrified to be told no and kicks up stink in the press.

Sorry mike I've got to disagree with u on the club thing. How many non practising Catholics get married in the church every day and are allowed. Equally how many clerics perform marriages outside of the enclosure of the church. I don't think the whole same sex marriage comes down to the good old boys club but I don't see a reason to stop them using a church if that is their chosen venue. How many children get christened,get communion and also confirmation and most likely get we'd within the confines of the same church and yet may never darken the doors of same church or utter a single prayer from one end of the yr to the next. It's not about what they do or don't believe in its about freedom of choice. Who are any of us to restrict couples from a marriage just because we think it's wrong or that it conflicts with their fundamental beliefs. That is none of our business in the grand scheme of things. If they want to get married on Jupiter then let them what gives any one of us the right to dictate how somebody else should lead their lives.

Of course there is a huge amount of hypocrisy around Communion, confirmation, weddings, etc, but there is a difference bergen being a half heated member and not being a member at all. If you are not a Catholic, you cannot get married in a Catholic Church. I'm sure the other churches have the same rule. If you're not a Catholic, why would you have any interest in getting married in a Catholic Church? You cannot force a religion to change it's beliefs so that other people can use their churches. It makes no sense. "

Fair enough but are u saying there are no gay Catholics lol. I believe I know a few personally who are both gay and Catholics. Even went to school with them. Should they then not be allowed marriage in a church if they so wish

I actually know quite a few gay catholic men. They go to mass every Sunday. And not just out of habit. No, they believe in God.

How faithful are they, considering that they're lifestyle is considered a sin by the church?

With marriage comes a lot more benefits compared to a civil partnership, it's not equal.

Quoted from another source:

Civil partnership:

- does not permit children to have a legally recognised relationship with their parents - only the biological one. This causes all sorts of practical problems for hundreds of families with schools and hospitals as well as around guardianship, access and custody. In the worst case, it could mean that a child is taken away from a parent and put into care on the death of the biological parent.

- does not recognise same sex couples' rights to many social supports that may be needed in hardship situations and may literally leave a loved one out in the cold.

- defines the home of civil partners as a "shared home", rather than a "family home" , as is the case for married couples. This has implications for the protection of dependent children living in this home and also means a lack of protection for civil partners who are deserted.

"I actually know quite a few gay catholic men. They go to mass every Sunday. And not just out of habit. No, they believe in God.

How faithful are they, considering that they're lifestyle is considered a sin by the church?

With marriage comes a lot more benefits compared to a civil partnership, it's not equal.

Quoted from another source:

Civil partnership:

- does not permit children to have a legally recognised relationship with their parents - only the biological one. This causes all sorts of practical problems for hundreds of families with schools and hospitals as well as around guardianship, access and custody. In the worst case, it could mean that a child is taken away from a parent and put into care on the death of the biological parent.

- does not recognise same sex couples' rights to many social supports that may be needed in hardship situations and may literally leave a loved one out in the cold.

- defines the home of civil partners as a "shared home", rather than a "family home" , as is the case for married couples. This has implications for the protection of dependent children living in this home and also means a lack of protection for civil partners who are deserted.

"

Very informative wobbly thank u

btw, a marriage isn't necessarily about religion.

A civil marriage is a marriage which takes place in a registry office or other non-church venue. Religious marriage is a ceremony followed by the signing of the civil marriage register, which is the legally binding part of the event. Because of religion's traditional role in sanctifying marriages and presiding over wedding ceremonies it is easy to think of marriage as a religious rite only, but this is not the case.

I copied pasted this from the Marriage Equality page.

Lucan

"

I don't think being gay is a sin and there are lots of people who would agree with me. Being gay doesn't preclude you from being religious. I'm sure it would be difficult in the church - imagine knowing you are gay - believing in god - going to same church all of your life - falling in love with a man - being faithful true and virginal - proposed to - told by your church you're a sinner and NO. Pretty tough I think.

Equally gay guy who fucks most of ireland finally falls in love and wants to get married. Wants a church wedding because better light for the pictures and your flambuoyant friends. Horrified to be told no and kicks up stink in the press. "

On your first point... I agree totally with you. I don't think being gay is a sin either, and it doesn't preclude you from being religious, nor should it. Being a sinner doesn't preclude you from being religious either, as most churches tell us that we're all sinners anyway. The problem is that probably every Church on this Island has a rule that forbids gay couples from having sex and getting married. If you don't like that, you have a choice; you leave the church, or you work within the church to have your fellow Church members change their rules.

I like golf, but I prefer to play it using tennis balls. I'm a member of a club in Dublin, but they won't allow me to use the tennis balls here. I like the game, 18 holes, tees, greens, fairways, bunkers, the lot, but I just want to play it with tennis balls. There's nothing wrong with tennis balls. Everybody loves them. Isn't it unfair that they won't let me?

I don't know what the answer to the problem is though. I'm sure same sex marriage will be legal soon, but I can't see how churches will ever conduct same sex marriages, given the slow taste of change. I do find it mildly amusing though, that Church marriage even matters to people on a swinging site. I didn't see that one coming!

I do love fab and the variety of flavours and opinions!

Lucan

"I do love fab and the variety of flavours and opinions! "

Lol

All people should be treated the same.

"Just remember GOD IS WATCHING YOU ALL.... youll stand before him one day.....

q up in front of me peeps "

But you are away to hell in a row boat already

» Add a new message to this topic