FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Carrying a multi tool

Carrying a multi tool

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My friend was coming home from work this morning. And he was stopped by the police. They was just doing normal drink check.

Anyway on the seat beside him he had the multi tool.

The police officer said he could have been arrest for having it . Is it true ? It simply was in his back pocket from work. And as he was sitting on it he put it on the seat.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah a friend was arrested years ago for having a Stanley knife in his snickers pocket, don’t know why he was stopped or pulled over to begin with though

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

Not sure about UK law, but strictly speaking it is illegal to carry a knife (even a penknife) in Ireland. It's mostly overlooked though as so many trades require the use of knives to do their jobs... Common sense prevails.

But if it's not obvious that someone is using a knife for their trade, Gardaí are well within their rights to question anyone in possession.

In northern ireland it's not illegal if u have a reason for having it,I carry a leatherman all the time no issues

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

"Not sure about UK law, but strictly speaking it is illegal to carry a knife (even a penknife) in Ireland. It's mostly overlooked though as so many trades require the use of knives to do their jobs... Common sense prevails.

But if it's not obvious that someone is using a knife for their trade, Gardaí are well within their rights to question anyone in possession."

Knifes screwdrivers hammers anything that can be constrewed to be an offensive weapon but mostly commo n sence prevails if its obivious u are a trades man working

I have an inoffensive weapon down my pants 24/7 and have been handcuffed and blindfolded by people dressed in various uniforms ; normally french maids, schoolgirls, nurses and occasionally policewomen

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

In Ireland it is illegal yeah. I know a chef who got done for taking his knives home at night from work.

The cops didnt buy the reason of "They are expensive and I dont want to leave them in work" as excuse, they expected him to secure them in work instead.

There is no reason at all to have a multitool on the seat beside you in a car, it should be secured in the boot of the car. Thats the situation in Ireland anyway.

However you could have a shatter hammer and a tool to cut a seat belt in the front cabin in case of crash.

But you couldnt have the iron bar to undo the wheel nuts on the front seat beside you.

The only way you would get away with a multitool in your pocket is if you were on the way from job to car, once at car you would be expected to secure in the boot. If youre driving with one in your pocket and they take you out of the car and pat you down, your excuse for having it in your pocket is no longer valid.

People can say "common sense will pervail", but thats totally at the descretion of the guards and not dependent on how much you want it to happen.

By *unnyfookMan  over a year ago

Naas

hope im never stopped, im loaded with all sorts

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

"hope im never stopped, im loaded with all sorts "

Me too... Between sports, hobbies, my job and volunteer work, even my handbag alone carries an arsenal of potential weapons most days

Naas

"hope im never stopped, im loaded with all sorts

Me too... Between sports, hobbies, my job and volunteer work, even my handbag alone carries an arsenal of potential weapons most days "

, twine, knife, secateurs, pen knife, stanley knife, screwdriver... i rarley use everything but sonetimes its a long walk back to van

I’m not sure what a multi tool is but it definitely isn’t what I had in mind when I opened this thread

limerick

"I’m not sure what a multi tool is but it definitely isn’t what I had in mind when I opened this thread "

Duirty biatch

"In northern ireland it's not illegal if u have a reason for having it,I carry a leatherman all the time no issues "

The reason also needs to be pertinent to the situation. You cant be driving to footy practice and have your "work tool" for example this multitool lying out or available "ready access" as the law states it.

If you were in work gear and had it lying out you may well still be arrested and have to prove your legitimate reason for having it out in the open.

All work blades should be stowed away during travel. You dont need them when youre driving.

Naas

"In northern ireland it's not illegal if u have a reason for having it,I carry a leatherman all the time no issues

The reason also needs to be pertinent to the situation. You cant be driving to footy practice and have your "work tool" for example this multitool lying out or available "ready access" as the law states it.

If you were in work gear and had it lying out you may well still be arrested and have to prove your legitimate reason for having it out in the open.

All work blades should be stowed away during travel. You dont need them when youre driving. "

it depends where your working and driving

If you are travelling any kind of distance stow it away. A blade is a blade and if its in ready access area you may well be arrested and have to explain to a judge why an offensive weapon was lying out within reach. Even if you think its only my "work blade"

How many people have been killed or hurt when it was just a "kitchen knife" or "work blade" but not in the right place or secured correctly.

By *razy-88Man  over a year ago

belfast

Always thought it was just fixed blades over 3” where illegal

been caught driving with a leatherman on me or in the front seat a few time. cops usually just say to put it away safely. helps that the few times it's happened i was in a van wearing a pair of snickers. yes it's illegal to carry knives around but most cops will see the situation as it is and make a call on their own judgement regarding it.

I just found a scissors in my car

"been caught driving with a leatherman on me or in the front seat a few time. cops usually just say to put it away safely. helps that the few times it's happened i was in a van wearing a pair of snickers. yes it's illegal to carry knives around but most cops will see the situation as it is and make a call on their own judgement regarding it. "

Exactly. Those in question have seen all the right signs and just gave advice. Smart officers. Lol

limerick

"I just found a scissors in my car "

Its not mine i swear

By *adinLouthMan  over a year ago

dundalk

Inevitable pun.

I thought only things over 6" were to be considered weapons.

"I just found a scissors in my car

Its not mine i swear "

Not mine either

Haven't seen the owner of it in a while now

limerick

Its not mine i swear

Not mine either

Haven't seen the owner of it in a while now "

Wipe it clean for fingerprints and despose of it in peices in different places they will never tie u to it

Its not mine i swear

Not mine either

Haven't seen the owner of it in a while now

Wipe it clean for fingerprints and despose of it in peices in different places they will never tie u to it "

Done

By *adrarfjordr VoyeurMan  over a year ago

Waterford

I read about a guy up in court in the UK for carrying a Hurley. Although the judge let him off when he explained what it was and that he was returning from a game

By *r tayt2Man  over a year ago

Trim

Jesus I have two hammers a vicegrip a snips and spanners in my front seat

By *ardrod991Man  over a year ago

city

Myself and 3 friends were stopped coming home from a days shooting! The Garda asked what we had in the boot ! When I replied 3 12 gauge shotguns and about 500 rounds of ammunition ! 1 18 inch machete plastic sheeting gloves and 2 shovels! Well he got a bit disturbed! All were fully licensed by the way !

» Add a new message to this topic