FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Breaking through a weight loss plateau

Breaking through a weight loss plateau

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Next time I hear someone preaching CICO I'm gonna start banging my head against the wall...

My BMR is ~2300 cals and I eat around 1500-1600 cals per day. That kind of caloric deficit should equal a crap ton of weight lost and yet I've been plateauing for the past two months I just keep gaining and losing the same 2lbs. I weigh and track EVERYTHING (down to a 3cal cup of tea). I don't eat sugar or carbs. I follow a 23:1 pattern of intermittent fasting. I do eat fats but I try to make sure they mostly come from plant based sources such as olive oil, nuts and avocado.

I've dealt with plateaus before during my weight loss journey but never for this long. This time it is really taking a toll on my mood and motivation as I'm getting really down whenever I step on the scale. I have one that measures body fat percentage and that's not budging either, so it's not a case of losing fat but not weight. I've had blood tests done and all hormones/thyroid levels are fine. I'm still feeling physically good because I'm feeding my body well but I just wish it would reflect on the scales...

Life is hard

Oh and CICO can suck my big smelly toe.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uke OzadeMan  over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

Follow your big smelly toe OP

Oh I should mention I've had 3 cheat days during this time (birthdays and a special occasion) but the extra weight has come off within a matter of days each time - just never past where I'm at now.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It can be an incredibly long and slow journey but I’m going to ask what may seem obvious..are you doing high intensity workouts..short sharp bursts..??

Great for burning calories and fat loss

By *heNYCSausageMan  over a year ago

Everton

"Next time I hear someone preaching CICO I'm gonna start banging my head against the wall...

My BMR is ~2300 cals and I eat around 1500-1600 cals per day. That kind of caloric deficit should equal a crap ton of weight lost and yet I've been plateauing for the past two months I just keep gaining and losing the same 2lbs. I weigh and track EVERYTHING (down to a 3cal cup of tea). I don't eat sugar or carbs. I follow a 23:1 pattern of intermittent fasting. I do eat fats but I try to make sure they mostly come from plant based sources such as olive oil, nuts and avocado.

I've dealt with plateaus before during my weight loss journey but never for this long. This time it is really taking a toll on my mood and motivation as I'm getting really down whenever I step on the scale. I have one that measures body fat percentage and that's not budging either, so it's not a case of losing fat but not weight. I've had blood tests done and all hormones/thyroid levels are fine. I'm still feeling physically good because I'm feeding my body well but I just wish it would reflect on the scales...

Life is hard

"

How often do you weigh yourself?

"It can be an incredibly long and slow journey but I’m going to ask what may seem obvious..are you doing high intensity workouts..short sharp bursts..??

Great for burning calories and fat loss "

No I just go for walks until I'm tired.

"Next time I hear someone preaching CICO I'm gonna start banging my head against the wall...

Life is hard

How often do you weigh yourself?"

Daily.

I know it's not recommended etc etc but it's been 2 months. Even if I was weighing weekly I still would have been seeing the same numbers...

Everton

Life is hard

Daily.

I know it's not recommended etc etc but it's been 2 months. Even if I was weighing weekly I still would have been seeing the same numbers... "

Weekly is optimal.

And it’s not just about the calories burnt v calories consumed. There’s other factors. Bone mass, muscle mass, metabolism. For example.

What exercise are you doing?

"It can be an incredibly long and slow journey but I’m going to ask what may seem obvious..are you doing high intensity workouts..short sharp bursts..??

No I just go for walks until I'm tired. "

You should give high intensity workouts a try, perhaps invest in a punching bag too..both excellent ways of burning fat

Good luck

By *moothGrooveWoman  over a year ago

Durham

Firstly, cutting out carbs all together is not a great idea. Try track your macros with MFP and loosely stay with your parameters.

As another poster suggested, you need to exercise. Unless your really getting your HR up on your walk then it will have little impact on your weight loss. I track all my calories burnt on Garmin, and if I go for a slow walk I'll not burn anymore calories than I would doing some housework. Do you track your calorie expenditure?

Fluid intake and sleep also play a part too.

Ive lost 5 stone (from a size 18 to an 8), its not super easy but it's not too difficult either. Be honest with yourself, get outside your comfort zone and educate yourself on what works for you.

Xxx

"Firstly, cutting out carbs all together is not a great idea. Try track your macros with MFP and loosely stay with your parameters.

As another poster suggested, you need to exercise. Unless your really getting your HR up on your walk then it will have little impact on your weight loss. I track all my calories burnt on Garmin, and if I go for a slow walk I'll not burn anymore calories than I would doing some housework. Do you track your calorie expenditure?

Ive lost 5 stone (from a size 18 to an 8), its not super easy but it's not too difficult either. Be honest with yourself, get outside your comfort zone and educate yourself on what works for you.

Xxx"

I'm never going back to eating carbs lol. I feel SO much better without them. I feel fuller for way longer, my IBS is under control and my skin is better than ever (I used have really bad eczema which cleared up when I cut out carbs and I don't get spots anymore). Also I reversed my T2 diabetes and am now in remission due to cutting out sugar. I appreciate it's not for everyone but it's what I'm finding it easiest to stick to and what is making me feel physically good.

The exercise point is fair, I'm probably not doing as much as I should. I've just always heard that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise and the caloric expenditure doesn't really amount to much. Also, I know it sounds like a cop out but the trainers I have at the moment are really shit and always give me blisters. Turns out finding good trainers for fat feet is a nigh on impossible task but I'll try and find some indoor workouts I could do when I'm home alone and can jump around.

Congrats on the 5 stone weight loss! I'm at that point too but I have many more stones to go

"Firstly, cutting out carbs all together is not a great idea. Try track your macros with MFP and loosely stay with your parameters.

Xxx"

^^ what She said ^^

Fantastic effort in your part too

You should give high intensity workouts a try, perhaps invest in a punching bag too..both excellent ways of burning fat

Good luck "

I think you're overestimating my fitness levels if I break my ankles and/or wrists I'll be suing you...

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

It’s gonna be annoying but. Calories in calories out.

There’s a good chance your BMR isn’t 2300

You should also make sure you aren’t taking in additional calories you aren’t accounting for.

People suggesting high intensity workouts without knowing your abilities are in the wrong. Walking is fine. It really is 80% diet.

If you are going to do more exercise, focus on lifting weights, not cardio. Lighting weights is far better for fat loss than cardio.

Also the gimmicks? The 23:1, the no carbs etc? None of that makes weight loss better. So unless you really enjoy it that way, don’t do it. Studies have shown when calories are equal these things have no effect on overall weight loss.

Also, daily weighing yourself is the best method, not weekly as other have suggested

How long have you been dieting for?

Everton

"It’s gonna be annoying but. Calories in calories out.

You should also make sure you aren’t taking in additional calories you aren’t accounting for.

People suggesting high intensity workouts without knowing your abilities are in the wrong. Walking is fine. It really is 80% diet.

If you are going to do more exercise, focus on lifting weights, not cardio. Lighting weights is far better for fat loss than cardio.

Also the gimmicks? The 23:1, the no carbs etc? None of that makes weight loss better. So unless you really enjoy it that way, don’t do it. Studies have shown when calories are equal these things have no effect on overall weight loss.

Also, daily weighing yourself is the best method, not weekly as other have suggested

How long have you been dieting for?"

I agreed with everything you said then apart from the weighing yourself.

Experts say that weighing yourself daily gives you false results. Some days you’ll gain weight, then you’ll try dieting harder to compensate. Some days you’ll lose weight, so you might have a cheat day and eat more.

Weekly averages out the gains and losses and gives you a better picture. Especially if you do it at the same time every week.

w

I agreed with everything you said then apart from the weighing yourself.

Experts say that weighing yourself daily gives you false results. Some days you’ll gain weight, then you’ll try dieting harder to compensate. Some days you’ll lose weight, so you might have a cheat day and eat more.

Weekly averages out the gains and losses and gives you a better picture. Especially if you do it at the same time every week. "

Experts actually say that weighing yourself daily and tracking it on a graph is the most accurate way to see your weight loss because you can see if there is a downward trend and adjust calories as needed.

The more readings you take, the more accurate you are.

Ideally you should weigh yourself daily at the same time, then average those reading out over the week.

Weekly weighing just makes tracking harder because if you have a fluctuation on your weigh in day it can throw you off and you won’t get to see again until a week later.

Daily allows for the most accurate reading. More data = better

How long have you been dieting for?"

1. I've tried multiple calculators which all give me BMRs of well over 2000 - I promise you, I'm really fucking fat

2. I track EVERYTHING on mfp.

3. Thank you. Everyone is always so quick to recommend HIIT but some people just aren't capable of giving the intensity required (ie me).

4. Like I explained above, low carb is easiest for me to stick to. 23:1 has also worked really well for me in the past, and keeps me disciplined and controlled over my cravings and hunger. When I eat 1500 cals with carbs I feel starved and miserable. When I eat 1500 cals on low carb I feel full and satisfied - even when doing OMAD.

5. I do the Greg Doucette method of weighing daily and taking the median for the week to account for fluctuations. It also helps me catch upwards trends before they become a problem

w

1. I've tried multiple calculators which all give me BMRs of well over 2000 - I promise you, I'm really fucking fat

3. Thank you. Everyone is always so quick to recommend HIIT but some people just aren't capable of giving the intensity required (ie me).

4. Like I explained above, low carb is easiest for me to stick to. 23:1 has also worked really well for me in the past, and keeps me disciplined and controlled over my cravings and hunger. When I eat 1500 cals with carbs I feel starved and miserable. When I eat 1500 cals on low carb I feel full and satisfied - even when doing OMAD.

5. I do the Greg Doucette method of weighing daily and taking the median for the week to account for fluctuations. It also helps me catch upwards trends before they become a problem "

It’s great to hear you follow Greg! He is a fantastic resource.

The problem here is yoir basing your BMR on an online calculator. These are known for being very inaccurate

So most likely, your BMR isn’t 2300. That’s most likely the issue.

When people can’t lose weight it’s usually 1 (or 2) of 2 things.

1. They over estimate how much they need (BMR).

2. They under estimate how much they eat (daily calories consumed).

But outside of fixing that, I can’t suggest lifting weights more. It really is huge. Abs machines at the gym are fine if free weights look intimidating.

But you seem to have a good attitude so I think with some adjustments you’ll break this plateau

Good luck

I think you're overestimating my fitness levels if I break my ankles and/or wrists I'll be suing you... "

Well I’m based in Heathrow too so you won’t have to travel far to serve me with papers

5. I do the Greg Doucette method of weighing daily and taking the median for the week to account for fluctuations. It also helps me catch upwards trends before they become a problem

The problem here is yoir basing your BMR on an online calculator. These are known for being very inaccurate

But outside of fixing that, I can’t suggest lifting weights more. It really is huge. Abs machines at the gym are fine if free weights look intimidating.

But you seem to have a good attitude so I think with some adjustments you’ll break this plateau "

My day just feels too weird if I haven't been yelled at by Coach Greg for being a moron and/or circle

How would you suggest calculating BMR? Even if it's not 2300, I guarantee it's higher than 1500 and I'm eating at a deficit, which should be resulting in me getting snatched

w

But you seem to have a good attitude so I think with some adjustments you’ll break this plateau

My day just feels too weird if I haven't been yelled at by Coach Greg for being a moron and/or circle

How would you suggest calculating BMR? Even if it's not 2300, I guarantee it's higher than 1500 and I'm eating at a deficit, which should be resulting in me getting snatched "

If you like I can put you in contact with some resources.

There’s a spreadsheet I use. You put in your daily weight + calories consumed and through the magic of maths is works out your BMR with about 95% accuracy.

Now because it works on the data you put in, there’s a few things to remember.

1. It needs plenty of data to be 95% accurate. So the first week using it you’ll get weird readings. It once had me down at 9k calories BMR. But that’s only for the first week or so. The more you use it, the more accurate it becomes.

2. It’s only as accurate as the data you put in. Weigh yourself daily and put that in. Track your calories daily, and accurately, and put that in.

It’s a tool I refuse to diet without because it takes all the guess work out. I’m even using it now as I’m bulking and I don’t want to bulk too fast

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I've had a few plateaus through my weightloss journey and each time the thing that worked for me was having a break from calorie deficit and eating maintenance calories for a while. When I started eating at a deficit again I started losing weight again. I can't remember the exact explanation I was given (something to do with leptin and grehlin) but one becomes low when you're in calorie deficit but increases when you're not and when it's higher it can help you lose weight easier. Basically when food is seen as plentiful, your body isn't so scared of starving .

Sounds like you’re on the right track, weigh loss is all about being a calorie deficit, if you’ve a certain % of your body weight your metabolism will have slowed slightly.

Just keep adjusting your calories until you find something that starts working again, there are no easy fixes.

Also agree weighing daily & take an average, so many different factors can be affected week to week, even more so with women.

Sounds like you’ve made some great changes .

If what you are doing isn’t working, change it? It sounds simple, but it is.

When you walk, how do you walk? Do you amble along, or do you really walk, until you’re sweaty and out of breath?

I know you say you’re not keen on HIIT, but it really does work, could you start with a beginner one (gymra app has loads of workouts, I get it on my fire stick), if you’re not keen on that, you can also do hiit yoga, Julia Marie (also prime) does a 30 day weight loss yoga programme.

Message me if you want any links.

Not going to add anything just because everyone knows everything and you're doing great! Except I think your BMR is most likely wrong and too high ... mine is 1434 cals/daily (I'm 5ft10) but this obviously increases with exercise?

Not going to add anything just because everyone knows everything and you're doing great! Except I think your BMR is most likely wrong and too high ... mine is 1434 cals/daily (I'm 5ft10) but this obviously increases with exercise?

By *lasphemousGirlWoman  over a year ago

Cambs

Definitely increase your exercise OP swimming and cycling helped me push past the plateau, amazing work so far though, so try not to be too hard on yourself xx

Fluid intake is vital to weight loss too so stay hydrated,

I've lost 8 stone over 3 years then maintained for 2 years now, it's a constant battle but weighing yourself daily is a bad habit you should try to avoid, it's too easy to get obsessed over the number on a scale but your health has improved and weekly weigh in at the same time is ideal. Best of luck.

"I've had a few plateaus through my weightloss journey and each time the thing that worked for me was having a break from calorie deficit and eating maintenance calories for a while. When I started eating at a deficit again I started losing weight again. I can't remember the exact explanation I was given (something to do with leptin and grehlin) but one becomes low when you're in calorie deficit but increases when you're not and when it's higher it can help you lose weight easier. Basically when food is seen as plentiful, your body isn't so scared of starving . "

By *viatrixWoman  over a year ago

Back in Gatwick!

Strength training. They don’t have to be massive weights. Even exercises with your own bodyweight. There are many free workouts on Youtube...

I lost 4 stone and went from a size 18 to an 8, but a size 8 wasn’t sustainable for me (I also went low carb, but I do like my carbs in moderation haha) so I am now a 10-12 but happy with that.

It is recommended to have at least 150 minutes of moderate/vigorous activity per week.

By *_the_impalerMan  over a year ago

canterbury

Doing the same does not give the same fat loss

Every 6 weeks I recommend changing up your exercise

A fitbit or similar step counter is great and try and get at least 10’000 steps a day

You you are trying intermittent fasting I would suggest 16:8 and in a perfect world train both weights and cardio first thing while fasted and then eat hours later.

Weight training increases muscle mass that is what burns calories 24/7 and what ever people say as a girl you will never become muscular

Ask if you want some more advice

If you genuinely think you've nailed the diet side. Movement and excerise and a good long nights sleep every night - if I don't keep moving then I definitely put on weight. Not just a one-off walk or run, but lots, , getting up and moving about at least once an hour, parking in the far corner of the carpark, walking to the shops, gardening, DIY, not sitting still looking vat fab. Sleep is a weight loss angel most people neglect!

Shagging is great too!

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

No I just go for walks until I'm tired. "

Long aerobic exercise routine will burn fat stores (adipose tissue) on your body. It will also raise your metabolic rate, improve your mood, etc. Try to choose a route with varying terrain, that forces your heart to work harder, followed by downhill; a less strenuous period.

As fitness improves and you lose fat stores, a faster pace should be possible. If you don't want to walk faster, choose an even more hilly course.

Finally, drink water regularly, rather than waiting until you feel thirsty or waiting until you return home.

It's a long process, but it will be worth it, in the end.

w

As people have noted in here, sleep is massive.

Lack of sleep has been shown in studies to increase appetite and decrease TDEE due to reduced NEAT. Basically being tired makes you eat more and move less.

And since we know the secret to weight loss is eat less move more we want to avoid being tired.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I highly recommend you book a session with a trained professional nutritionist. That did more good for my weight than anything else I've ever done. Luke

"I highly recommend you book a session with a trained professional nutritionist. That did more good for my weight than anything else I've ever done. Luke "

Personally agree with this ^^^ see a professional that can help with the nutrition and exercise for you personally. Best way forward ...

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

In December 2019, just before Christmas, I am convinced I had symptoms of what was later called Covid-19.

I was laid up for months, gained weight, lost previously acquired fitness and mood dropped.

I have used an increasingly elongated, varied and strenuous walking routine to lose weight, gain fitness, restore stamina and elevate my mood.

Furthermore, I bought a slow cooker for making vegetarian soups and stews, and reduced the size of my breakfast bowl by 50%, for home-made oats.

Lots of small incremental improvements contribute to the overall picture.

Next year, when my recovery from Covid is complete, weight loss has been significant, stamina is increased and travel restrictions are removed, I would hope to undertaken one of the long distance walking routes in Europe.

Xxx

I'm never going back to eating carbs lol. I feel SO much better without them. I feel fuller for way longer, my IBS is under control and my skin is better than ever (I used have really bad eczema which cleared up when I cut out carbs and I don't get spots anymore). Also I reversed my T2 diabetes and am now in remission due to cutting out sugar. I appreciate it's not for everyone but it's what I'm finding it easiest to stick to and what is making me feel physically good.

The exercise point is fair, I'm probably not doing as much as I should. I've just always heard that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise and the caloric expenditure doesn't really amount to much. Also, I know it sounds like a cop out but the trainers I have at the moment are really shit and always give me blisters. Turns out finding good trainers for fat feet is a nigh on impossible task but I'll try and find some indoor workouts I could do when I'm home alone and can jump around.

Congrats on the 5 stone weight loss! I'm at that point too but I have many more stones to go "

Haven't read the whole thread but I just wanted to say that cutting the carbs and sugar out to the extent you have and reversing your T2 diabetes, improving your IBS (which inspired me a lot) is impressive and not that easy to do. You clearly have the will power and that's amazing as well as impressive. You may bit be losing the weight you want to atm but what you've achieved health wise is bloody good going. Nicely done!

By *moothGrooveWoman  over a year ago

Durham

Going back to your comment about trainers for flat feet, have a look at Altra shoes. They have a super wide toe box x

Thanks everyone for the replies xx

Lots of different, conflicting information but it looks like the main takeaway is that I have to up my exercise... Yay...

@Thicc, could I please have a gander at that magic spreadsheet?

"Sounds like you’ve made some great changes .

When you walk, how do you walk? Do you amble along, or do you really walk, until you’re sweaty and out of breath?

I know you say you’re not keen on HIIT, but it really does work, could you start with a beginner one (gymra app has loads of workouts, I get it on my fire stick), if you’re not keen on that, you can also do hiit yoga, Julia Marie (also prime) does a 30 day weight loss yoga programme.

Message me if you want any links."

I don't amble, but I don't power walk either. I'd say I walk at around 3mph?

Thanks I'll have a look at the yoga thing. I quite enjoy yoga normally and I just got a block to be able to positions a little more comfortably

Xxx

Congrats on the 5 stone weight loss! I'm at that point too but I have many more stones to go

Haven't read the whole thread but I just wanted to say that cutting the carbs and sugar out to the extent you have and reversing your T2 diabetes, improving your IBS (which inspired me a lot) is impressive and not that easy to do. You clearly have the will power and that's amazing as well as impressive. You may bit be losing the weight you want to atm but what you've achieved health wise is bloody good going. Nicely done!"

Thank you very much!! The health issues were what motivated me the most now it's all the dresses I want to wear haha

"I've had a few plateaus through my weightloss journey and each time the thing that worked for me was having a break from calorie deficit and eating maintenance calories for a while. When I started eating at a deficit again I started losing weight again. I can't remember the exact explanation I was given (something to do with leptin and grehlin) but one becomes low when you're in calorie deficit but increases when you're not and when it's higher it can help you lose weight easier. Basically when food is seen as plentiful, your body isn't so scared of starving . "

I think I'd feel too guilty eating my maintenance calories as it is quite a lot I'd also feel very full haha

Yeah I've gotten super into biochemistry lately and one of the reasons I love intermittent fasting is it's taught me to recognise "fake" hunger brought on by increased ghrelin levels vs real hunger, when my body is really asking me for food.

By *oolkoupleCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire

Qell done on your hard workload!

I'm also here to vote for adding weights into your life, it's not just about strength but will do wonders for your body composition too, which is especially reassuring when measurements don't move much.

Taking a break to eat at maintenance for a while won't do you any harm. Try to not make it all really filling foods like green veg so as to avoid feeling stuffed!

I highly recommend speaking to a nutritionist to get a full macro plan. It sounds like you're comfortable with tracking all you consume so like with lifting weights, looking more closely at the specific macro break down could bring about the changes you seek.

Good luck!

"Sounds like you’ve made some great changes .

Message me if you want any links.

I don't amble, but I don't power walk either. I'd say I walk at around 3mph?

Thanks I'll have a look at the yoga thing. I quite enjoy yoga normally and I just got a block to be able to positions a little more comfortably "

Would it be worth increasing your speed, even if it’s for a few minutes, then have a break and slow down, then do that again.

It’s the main thing I’ve been able to do over the last year having been unwell, and it’s kept the weight off and kept me reasonably toned.

Walking like that is very effective.

I was going to pm you a link, but I’m too old

I’ve lost just over 2 stone doing alternate-day fasting. It’s hard on the beginning but it really does work and you can pretty much eat what you want on the eating days

Weighing daily is better.

Weekly gives a false indicator if anything.

On your weekly weigh you may not have been to toilet for a day or two, might be holding more water, lots of variables.

Daily weighing at the same time, on waking after going to the loo for me gives you an average over the week and to some degree eliminates these variables.

As the guy up there said, excel graph is great for this.

My weight can fluctuate +/- 1.5kg.

As for the BMR, most people grossly over estimate this.

Oh blimey, where do I start?

Could you post what you eat on a typical day? If not, feel free to PM me. I wouldn't personally suggest weighing yourself daily. Not only is it demorilising, your weight fluctuates on a daily basis so it is inaccurate. What you are looking for is a general trend in the right direction. I'd suggest maybe weighing yourself every couple of weeks, but I actually don't own scales as I think the exercise is misleading. Weight is not the only metric and it is misleading. You could be building muscle mass and that could explain a weight increase. The best thing to get your hands on is a body composition meter. Some gyms have one made by a company called Boditrax and they are fairly accurate without having to resort to very elaborate and expensive technologies, like DEXA body scans. That said, a 3 point Jackson Pollock measurement with a pair of inexpensive calipers isn't that inaccurate. I don't count calories. The reason being that CICO is not the only mechanism by which weight can be lost and depending upon the person it might not work. It doesn't work for a surprisingly large number of people, plus you have to live the rest of your life in calorie deficit or trying to find that fine balance. I don't count macros either. I was once a 36" waist, but now I'm about 32". I'm also in the fittest state I've been in all my life, so can attest to the approach I us. There is a bigger picture with this too and it relates to appetite, the hormones involved in the process, including insulin and insulin sensitivity and resistance. Human metabolism is a very complex area, so it's understandable that an overly simplistic approach like CICO probably isn't the answer. Personally, I think LCHF Ketogenic is the way forward and the science seems to support it. Unfortunately, there was a lot of shit science done in the 60s and we are still paying the price for it both financially and nutritionally.

w

"Oh blimey, where do I start?

Could you post what you eat on a typical day? If not, feel free to PM me. I wouldn't personally suggest weighing yourself daily. Not only is it demorilising, your weight fluctuates on a daily basis so it is inaccurate. What you are looking for is a general trend in the right direction. I'd suggest maybe weighing yourself every couple of weeks, but I actually don't own scales as I think the exercise is misleading. Weight is not the only metric and it is misleading. You could be building muscle mass and that could explain a weight increase. The best thing to get your hands on is a body composition meter. Some gyms have one made by a company called Boditrax and they are fairly accurate without having to resort to very elaborate and expensive technologies, like DEXA body scans. That said, a 3 point Jackson Pollock measurement with a pair of inexpensive calipers isn't that inaccurate. I don't count calories. The reason being that CICO is not the only mechanism by which weight can be lost and depending upon the person it might not work. It doesn't work for a surprisingly large number of people, plus you have to live the rest of your life in calorie deficit or trying to find that fine balance. I don't count macros either. I was once a 36" waist, but now I'm about 32". I'm also in the fittest state I've been in all my life, so can attest to the approach I us. There is a bigger picture with this too and it relates to appetite, the hormones involved in the process, including insulin and insulin sensitivity and resistance. Human metabolism is a very complex area, so it's understandable that an overly simplistic approach like CICO probably isn't the answer. Personally, I think LCHF Ketogenic is the way forward and the science seems to support it. Unfortunately, there was a lot of shit science done in the 60s and we are still paying the price for it both financially and nutritionally. "

The new science says keto is no more effective than other diets when calories are equated.

What science are you reading?

"Oh blimey, where do I start?

Could you post what you eat on a typical day? If not, feel free to PM me. I wouldn't personally suggest weighing yourself daily. Not only is it demorilising, your weight fluctuates on a daily basis so it is inaccurate. What you are looking for is a general trend in the right direction. I'd suggest maybe weighing yourself every couple of weeks, but I actually don't own scales as I think the exercise is misleading. Weight is not the only metric and it is misleading. You could be building muscle mass and that could explain a weight increase. The best thing to get your hands on is a body composition meter. Some gyms have one made by a company called Boditrax and they are fairly accurate without having to resort to very elaborate and expensive technologies, like DEXA body scans. That said, a 3 point Jackson Pollock measurement with a pair of inexpensive calipers isn't that inaccurate. I don't count calories. The reason being that CICO is not the only mechanism by which weight can be lost and depending upon the person it might not work. It doesn't work for a surprisingly large number of people, plus you have to live the rest of your life in calorie deficit or trying to find that fine balance. I don't count macros either. I was once a 36" waist, but now I'm about 32". I'm also in the fittest state I've been in all my life, so can attest to the approach I us. There is a bigger picture with this too and it relates to appetite, the hormones involved in the process, including insulin and insulin sensitivity and resistance. Human metabolism is a very complex area, so it's understandable that an overly simplistic approach like CICO probably isn't the answer. Personally, I think LCHF Ketogenic is the way forward and the science seems to support it. Unfortunately, there was a lot of shit science done in the 60s and we are still paying the price for it both financially and nutritionally. "

Body composition meters are shite and not at all accurate. Too many variables can influence the reading.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Well done with the T2D!! Check out Ted Naiman - you may find you need more protein and some resistance rather than cardio to persuade your metabolism out of starvation mode. I have to do that, and low carb, and intermittent fasting to lose nowadays.

Op, is the 23:1 the issue, im sure an ex trainer of mine said if you starve for so long, your body clings onto whatever you eat.

Well done on your achievements so far. I would really like to lose a stone too.

"

The new science says keto is no more effective than other diets when calories are equated.

What science are you reading? "

Do you want a list of scientific papers? I can dig a sample out if you want. Current science suggests that 22 out of 26 health markers improve with LCHF Ketogenic.

What "current science" are you referring to? I'd be interested to know what is being compared to what by the current science.

w

"

Do you want a list of scientific papers? I can dig a sample out if you want. Current science suggests that 22 out of 26 health markers improve with LCHF Ketogenic.

What "current science" are you referring to? I'd be interested to know what is being compared to what by the current science. "

It’s pretty commonly accepted now and understood that for weight loss, when calories are equates keto does no better than other diets.

If we are talking about health benefits the science is still mixed. I’m not as versed on that.

But I can confidently say for weight loss, keto isn’t better

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"

What "current science" are you referring to? I'd be interested to know what is being compared to what by the current science.

It’s pretty commonly accepted now and understood that for weight loss, when calories are equates keto does no better than other diets.

If we are talking about health benefits the science is still mixed. I’m not as versed on that.

But I can confidently say for weight loss, keto isn’t better "

This is correct just looked up Pubmed on peer reviewed scientific research. And keto is no better than any other method.

w

"

This is correct just looked up Pubmed on peer reviewed scientific research. And keto is no better than any other method."

People often think keto is better because you drop a bunch of weight quickly with keto.

What they miss is that glycogen comes from carbs. Glycogen comes with water weight. Cut out carbs, deplete your glycogen, massive loss of water weight.

Eat a carb heavy meal and all that glycogen and water comes back. It’s not actual weight loss

"

Body composition meters are shite and not at all accurate. Too many variables can influence the reading. "

I think that's not correct and what you've said in your last sentence hits the nail on the head. It's basically down to consistency. Most users, including gym staff don't know how to use them. Why? Because they can't be arsed to read the manual. As they say in the IT world - RTFM.

For example, did you know you're meant to use then during the same time window during the day? Or that you shouldn't drink or eat a couple of hours before use? Did you know there was an "athletic" mode for people with lower resting heart rates, owing to them being a different fitness and usually body fat percentage cohort? Most people don't, but apologies if you know all this. I agree that the home ones aren't up to much as they tend to measure your impedance through your legs mostly and nothing much else (there are no hand electrodes). There may be other technical differences, eg algorithms employed. However, I think it is a gross generalisation to suggest all composition meters are crap. It's simply not true.

"

This is correct just looked up Pubmed on peer reviewed scientific research. And keto is no better than any other method.

People often think keto is better because you drop a bunch of weight quickly with keto.

What they miss is that glycogen comes from carbs. Glycogen comes with water weight. Cut out carbs, deplete your glycogen, massive loss of water weight.

Eat a carb heavy meal and all that glycogen and water comes back. It’s not actual weight loss "

I hear you, but what's the science to which you refer?

w

"

Eat a carb heavy meal and all that glycogen and water comes back. It’s not actual weight loss

I hear you, but what's the science to which you refer? "

Go educate yourself, it’s all out there, it’s common knowledge these days. If you choose to believe your own bro science it’s no issue with me.

"

Eat a carb heavy meal and all that glycogen and water comes back. It’s not actual weight loss "

Whenever I have cheat days I do gain a bunch of water weight but it comes off in like 3 days when I go back to keto. I've lost 5 stone doing it so it can't all be water lol. Even if CICO is what truly matters, cutting out carbs is the easiest way for me to instantly eliminate a bunch of calories, and like I mentioned above I've seen a bunch of health benefits from doing so.

Also, your body can convert protein into glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis. Look up the fasting phases on Zero; it explains really well what your body does in the absence of food and/or carbs.

In other news, I've lost 3lbs!!!!

I have to say that water retention and the glycogen connection is not, imho, what's causing weight loss. If we were talking about a juice diet then I'd say there's an analogous process, but this isn't the case here. The relationship between ketogenesis and insulin levels (primarily) is key here. Other hormones play a part, but we could be here forever discussing all that. If insulin levels are sufficiently low and steady, then insulin doesn't spike as it does when you eat carbs. When insulin spikes it is effective messaging the cells in the body to take up the carbs and use them or store then as glycogen. In the case of fat cells, it stores the excess carbs as triglycerides made by the liver (a process known as lipogenesis). This is different to glycogen, which can be stored in the muscles and accounts for I believe some water retention. The discussion about about glycogen and triglycerides is different. I'm looking at fat storage. Glycogen and associated water storage does not concern adipocytes (fat cells to you and me).

"

Go educate yourself, it’s all out there, it’s common knowledge these days. If you choose to believe your own bro science it’s no issue with me. "

That's not very nice, but if you're not prepared to back up what you're saying, you're effectively promoting broscience. I will post article a bit later hopefully.

"

Go educate yourself, it’s all out there, it’s common knowledge these days. If you choose to believe your own bro science it’s no issue with me. "

One further thought. I am fairly well informed in this and other areas having had spent half my professional life working with molecular biologists and other life scientists, plus the odd Nobel Laureate in the area of life sciences ...

By *damBFDMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Well I do work with models and stuff I've done a bbw to petite journey with a few people and it's worked. All macros and calories need to be tracked along with a custom made diet and gym plan . I do have my own gym so yah I can help you get where you want .

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

I find it much easier if I’m getting fat to just stop eating for a couple of days, fasting does amazing things to your metabolism, so many long term benefits to your body and mind. It also teaches your stomach it’s not in control of you

"I find it much easier if I’m getting fat to just stop eating for a couple of days, fasting does amazing things to your metabolism, so many long term benefits to your body and mind. It also teaches your stomach it’s not in control of you "

Yep. I also combine with 16:8. It was a struggle right at the beginning but is second nature now and I feel great for it.

"I find it much easier if I’m getting fat to just stop eating for a couple of days, fasting does amazing things to your metabolism, so many long term benefits to your body and mind. It also teaches your stomach it’s not in control of you "

This

Just take a look on r/fasting to see how much easier people have it when they're already fat adapted.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"I find it much easier if I’m getting fat to just stop eating for a couple of days, fasting does amazing things to your metabolism, so many long term benefits to your body and mind. It also teaches your stomach it’s not in control of you

Yep. I also combine with 16:8. It was a struggle right at the beginning but is second nature now and I feel great for it. "

It is a struggle at first but once you break that cycle of believing you need to eat three times every single day a d accepting a bit of hunger is healthy it becomes easier and empowers you to be in control of food rather than food controlling you. Diets never really do this , the stomach isn’t ever properly tamed

"

Body composition meters are shite and not at all accurate. Too many variables can influence the reading.

I think that's not correct and what you've said in your last sentence hits the nail on the head. It's basically down to consistency. Most users, including gym staff don't know how to use them. Why? Because they can't be arsed to read the manual. As they say in the IT world - RTFM.

For example, did you know you're meant to use then during the same time window during the day? Or that you shouldn't drink or eat a couple of hours before use? Did you know there was an "athletic" mode for people with lower resting heart rates, owing to them being a different fitness and usually body fat percentage cohort? Most people don't, but apologies if you know all this. I agree that the home ones aren't up to much as they tend to measure your impedance through your legs mostly and nothing much else (there are no hand electrodes). There may be other technical differences, eg algorithms employed. However, I think it is a gross generalisation to suggest all composition meters are crap. It's simply not true. "

They're not even accurate in the first place based on my experience, even the ridiculously expensive ones.

Calipers had me at 18-19% and the meter had me at 24-25%.

Not even use. Tried over several days at the same time, made sure I hadn't drank etc.

They're just rubbish.

"I find it much easier if I’m getting fat to just stop eating for a couple of days, fasting does amazing things to your metabolism, so many long term benefits to your body and mind. It also teaches your stomach it’s not in control of you

Yep. I also combine with 16:8. It was a struggle right at the beginning but is second nature now and I feel great for it.

It is a struggle at first but once you break that cycle of believing you need to eat three times every single day a d accepting a bit of hunger is healthy it becomes easier and empowers you to be in control of food rather than food controlling you. Diets never really do this , the stomach isn’t ever properly tamed"

It's also really good at improving insulin sensitivity.

I'll weigh you. 'Weeeeeeeeheeeeey!'

Ok, shit jokes aside, apparently if you stick to a routine eventually your body gets used to it and remains in that state. So you have to change things up. Different exercise routines and such, every 6 weeks ish. Dunno if you do this?

Personally I think fun exercise makes a massive difference. Had a relative who gave it some at the gym but didn't loose anything. Until she found roller derby then it dropped off

w

"

Go educate yourself, it’s all out there, it’s common knowledge these days. If you choose to believe your own bro science it’s no issue with me.

That's not very nice, but if you're not prepared to back up what you're saying, you're effectively promoting broscience. I will post article a bit later hopefully. "

I look forward to it

By *anky_PankyWoman  over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

"

Whenever I have cheat days I do gain a bunch of water weight but it comes off in like 3 days when I go back to keto. I've lost 5 stone doing it so it can't all be water lol. Even if CICO is what truly matters, cutting out carbs is the easiest way for me to instantly eliminate a bunch of calories, and like I mentioned above I've seen a bunch of health benefits from doing so.

Also, your body can convert protein into glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis. Look up the fasting phases on Zero; it explains really well what your body does in the absence of food and/or carbs.

In other news, I've lost 3lbs!!!! "

Brilliant! I won't get involved in the contentious bits above, but I will cheer you on.

Good on you. A lot of people have no idea how bloody hard it is to shift a large amount of weight.

Shifting a stone is hard for some but a large amount can seem neverending and its one hell of a task - good on you! You are a better woman than I xx

What is your fibre intake?

Also your body maybe in fat storage mode.

Try upping the cals and increasing exercise.

This is far storage mode. Your body knows its not taking in enough calories so it begins to store fat.

Are you eating enough fibre? Especially if you're not eating carbs. You could try doing some yoga too. Especially yin yoga in the evenings as it helps you to sleep.

Don’t know if this has been mentioned may be something with your thyroid

"

"

Here's a takedown by Dr Jason Fung on one of those studies, there may be others.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-kevin-hall-tried-to-kill-insulin-hypothesis-pure-spin

"

"

I was giving this some more thought and I don't think it adds up.

If carbs provide glycogen and glycogen comes with water, your suggestion is that water is lost once the body is depleted of carbs and therefore glycogen. This loss of water accounts for a weight loss. However, the vast majority of glycogen is gone after 2-4 days of being on a ketogenic diet and so if that's the only explanation for weight loss on a ketogenic diet, then that would be the lot. However, people in studies involving ketogenic diets continue to lose weight. Therefore, it can't be the sole reason for weight loss otherwise it would stop after a few days.

"

I look forward to it

"

So here's a couple of scientific studies in support of ketogenic diets. As you probably know, scientific studies involving diet are very difficult and very expensive to do long term. The following are over two year periods and has a decent number of participants, which is a good thing. At the end of the day, everybody has to decide what works best for them. However, there are always people out there in the scientific community trying to rubbish studies, especially if they are in a particular "camp", like those advocating the Standard American Diet, and they've been advocating it for years. Changing opinions about nutrition is like trying to turn a supertanker. It's a very slow and drawn out process.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/109/2/433/5289643

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2019.00348/full

The Nusi seems to be funding research in this area and the results are interesting.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd switch things around and add some shocks. Increasing muscle level should result in an increase to your daily calorie requirements. You could do increased cardio but I'd probably focus on aiming to increase your percentage of muscle mass.

Increasing your relaxation and decreasing stress could be healthy too

w

"

Here's a takedown by Dr Jason Fung on one of those studies, there may be others.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-kevin-hall-tried-to-kill-insulin-hypothesis-pure-spin

I was giving this some more thought and I don't think it adds up.

If carbs provide glycogen and glycogen comes with water, your suggestion is that water is lost once the body is depleted of carbs and therefore glycogen. This loss of water accounts for a weight loss. However, the vast majority of glycogen is gone after 2-4 days of being on a ketogenic diet and so if that's the only explanation for weight loss on a ketogenic diet, then that would be the lot. However, people in studies involving ketogenic diets continue to lose weight. Therefore, it can't be the sole reason for weight loss otherwise it would stop after a few days.

I look forward to it

So here's a couple of scientific studies in support of ketogenic diets. As you probably know, scientific studies involving diet are very difficult and very expensive to do long term. The following are over two year periods and has a decent number of participants, which is a good thing. At the end of the day, everybody has to decide what works best for them. However, there are always people out there in the scientific community trying to rubbish studies, especially if they are in a particular "camp", like those advocating the Standard American Diet, and they've been advocating it for years. Changing opinions about nutrition is like trying to turn a supertanker. It's a very slow and drawn out process.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/109/2/433/5289643

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2019.00348/full

The Nusi seems to be funding research in this area and the results are interesting. "

The issue I’m seeing with both these studies is that they are long form studies where calories weren’t equated.

I also think you’ve misunderstood what I meant about the water and glycogen related weight loss on a Keto diet.

But I think we can both agree that ultimately a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss. And if a Keto diet helps you maintain that calorie deficit then that’s what’s best for you.

I think that’s the most important aspect. Find what makes maintaining a calorie deficit easiest for you. For some that might be Keto, others might find higher protein helps, I enjoy extremely high carb

w

So to clear up the keto water weight point I was making.

I didn’t say that weight loss from Keto is purely water and glycogen. A calorie deficit works no matter what, Keto included.

My point was that Keto often gets hailed as this super effective weight loss diet because people often don’t understand the water glycogen lost when you first start.

Someone will start Keto and very quickly lose 10-20 lbs with a few weeks. They have no idea this is purely water weight and it compounds this idea in their head that Keto is magic, carbs are evil.

Then it doubles down. They go off Keto for a week and suddenly the scale jumps up 10lbs. If they understood what was happening we wouldn’t have an issue, but many don’t. So sadly it just reinforces that false idea that fats = weight loss and carbs = instant weight gain.

People get stuck in this rut thinking it’s their food selection which is driving results, instead of realising that energy balance runs the entire thing. They make dieting extra difficult because that believe the only way to get results is to go down this extreme path of avoid all carbs at all costs and it creates and very unhealthy relationship with food.

When in reality we should be teaching what the most up to date science already know. When calories are equated, weight lost is the sane, so find a diet you enjoy and can maintain, because that’s where 99% of your results will come from

By *inister_SpinsterWoman  over a year ago

North West

Life is hard

Daily.

I know it's not recommended etc etc but it's been 2 months. Even if I was weighing weekly I still would have been seeing the same numbers... "

Course you can weigh yourself daily, if you want to, as long as it doesn't upset you.

I do, it's data, and the more data you have the more informed you are.

Weekly isn't optimal, its a habit we've gained from clubs like WW.

» Add a new message to this topic