FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Rewilding the Lynx

Rewilding the Lynx

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Talk today of rewilding the UK by bringing in something called a lynx which is part of the big cat family. Some people will not be happy until we are overun with wolves and the like..

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Something called a lynx? Have you never seen one?

Any reasons why we shouldn’t reinstate native species that we killed off?

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"Something called a lynx? Have you never seen one?

Any reasons why we shouldn’t reinstate native species that we killed off?"

^^this

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

There's plenty of cans of Lynx on some blokes profiles

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

"Talk today of rewilding the UK by bringing in something called a lynx which is part of the big cat family. Some people will not be happy until we are overun with wolves and the like..

."

In national park in America they introduced 14 wolves back into the ecosystem which changed significantly it for the better.

They have introduced beavers which completely changed the water management system and actually is stopping some of the terrible floods where were introduced. They are better at flood management than any human.

Lynx were indigenous once as were many creatures

By *razzyhorseMan  over a year ago

cambridge

"Talk today of rewilding the UK by bringing in something called a lynx which is part of the big cat family. Some people will not be happy until we are overun with wolves and the like..

."

Can see nothing but positives with reintroducing Lynx. Why wouldn't you want an indigenous species reintroduced into the appropriate ecosystem if it's possible?

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Who are these some people Tom?

And what do you mean by overrun? Do you think we're going to have city lynx like we do foxes?

Kudos to any man that has the balls to flop their todger out for a photo opportunity next to that type of lynx!

."

‘Something called a Lynx.’

That reminds me when Dave Nice played Hey Jude and said ‘That was er The Beatles there, never heard of them myself, the Fab Four or something mate.!’

."

I love these parody accounts.

Chelmsford

"Who are these some people Tom?

And what do you mean by overrun? Do you think we're going to have city lynx like we do foxes? "

Well that's an interesting theory that I had not heard of. The urban fox is bigger, stronger than it's country cousin. Imagine how big these new super lynx would get when they invade our towns. And would the family cat be safe out at night or even worse breed with these dangerous buggers...

By *imbob85Man  over a year ago

inverness

And what do you mean by overrun? Do you think we're going to have city lynx like we do foxes?

Well that's an interesting theory that I had not heard of. The urban fox is bigger, stronger than it's country cousin. Imagine how big these new super lynx would get when they invade our towns. And would the family cat be safe out at night or even worse breed with these dangerous buggers... "

stands to reason more opportunities for food in towns and city’s same thing happens with seagulls to

By *andsome HandMan  over a year ago

roundabout

"Kudos to any man that has the balls to flop their todger out for a photo opportunity next to that type of lynx! "

Challenge accepted

roundabout

Any reasons why we shouldn’t reinstate native species that we killed off?

^^this"

Seconded

La la land

Well that's an interesting theory that I had not heard of. The urban fox is bigger, stronger than it's country cousin. Imagine how big these new super lynx would get when they invade our towns. And would the family cat be safe out at night or even worse breed with these dangerous buggers... "

Maybe I should get a pet lynx to stop next doors cats shitting in my garden....

By *iscreet-is-paramountMan  over a year ago

where no one knows

What the nob heads don't realise ( ones sat round the table in London dreaming up shit) is that some species were killed off for reasons. They go on about flooding then reinstate beavers down south.....

They brought back sea eagles and they now take carrion. They have problems with foxes in cities, we don't.

You can't stroke a lynx, well I have, but ya don't want em prowling around your gaff at night. They entice squirrels in the area and then wonder why there's a rat epidemic. Dicks.

Chelmsford

Another thing does not sit well here... Farmers would lose so many sheep which would push the price of lamb up

La la land

"Another thing does not sit well here... Farmers would lose so many sheep which would push the price of lamb up"

I think the people behind would like them introduced to the Highlands to control the number of deer, whoose numbers are too great and are in themselves causing damage.

Foxes kill sheep too and people's dogs. Grew up on a farm and seen the consequences of people's pets drove over 50 sheep into a freezing river and they drowned. We had to then pull them all out it was devastating and hard work. We frooze and made ourselves ill. Lynx at least wouldn't do that.

By *ecydogMan  over a year ago

wales

"What the nob heads don't realise ( ones sat round the table in London dreaming up shit) is that some species were killed off for reasons. They go on about flooding then reinstate beavers down south.....

They brought back sea eagles and they now take carrion. They have problems with foxes in cities, we don't.

You can't stroke a lynx, well I have, but ya don't want em prowling around your gaff at night. They entice squirrels in the area and then wonder why there's a rat epidemic. Dicks."

Chelmsford

And who decides that there are too many deer. I think if you asked the average deer then he would disagree...

Are there too many people on the planet ? Possibly.. who decides on what number should be killed. I can't remember the name of it but I think slaughtering whole races is illegal and called euthanasia or something similar

roundabout

"And who decides that there are too many deer. I think if you asked the average deer then he would disagree...

Are there too many people on the planet ? Possibly.. who decides on what number should be killed. I can't remember the name of it but I think slaughtering whole races is illegal and called euthanasia or something similar

"

There's definitely too many humans on the planet. I agree with Bill Burr we should have an aptitude test to decide who to toast.

I believe you mean genocide.

Chelmsford

"And who decides that there are too many deer. I think if you asked the average deer then he would disagree...

There's definitely too many humans on the planet. I agree with Bill Burr we should have an aptitude test to decide who to toast.

I believe you mean genocide. "

Yes that's the word thank you..

Leaving humans out of it I just don't understand people wanting dangerous animals on the loose....

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"

Pristine habitats evolve so that all species are kept in balance. When you remove a species or (as is the case in this country an entire group of species) it leads to huge changes in the environment. Barely any of the old native forest is left in Scotland and it is a constant battle to protect what is left from the red deer who no longer have any predators (apart from humans). Re-introducing apex predators like the wolf and the lynx would not only give us those animals back, it would change the landscape of Scotland back to a far more diverse one that that man's behaviour has turned it into. This in turn would provide new habitats for hundreds of other species at the expense of a few less red deer.

Mr

Chelmsford

Pristine habitats evolve so that all species are kept in balance. When you remove a species or (as is the case in this country an entire group of species) it leads to huge changes in the environment. Barely any of the old native forest is left in Scotland and it is a constant battle to protect what is left from the red deer who no longer have any predators (apart from humans). Re-introducing apex predators like the wolf and the lynx would not only give us those animals back, it would change the landscape of Scotland back to a far more diverse one that that man's behaviour has turned it into. This in turn would provide new habitats for hundreds of other species at the expense of a few less red deer.

Mr"

As I day.. ask Mr Deer if he wants to volunteer ...

Not sure many would...

La la land

Leaving humans out of it I just don't understand people wanting dangerous animals on the loose...."

Dangerous animals there are barely any lynx attacks where they are still found in Europe. Human on human attacks are more likely, so aren't we the dangerous animals on the loose?

Bring on the wolves.

By *extravagantWoman  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

We’re over run with cows and sheep!

By *TK421-Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

Lynx will take care of the deer population.

So we introduce wolves to take care of the lynx.

Then Pizzly Bears to take care of the wolves. (Pizzly Bears an occurrence of global warming).

Then Chuck Norris? to take care of the Pizzlies.

Honestly I'm happy to have the Lynx back. It's not like they were noticed when they were here and survived for 100's of years after people thought they were gone from the island.

roundabout

Leaving humans out of it I just don't understand people wanting dangerous animals on the loose...."

The eurasian lynx which is the type they want to introduce is 80-130 cm long, 55-75 cm tall and 18-30 kg in weight. They're stealth hunters. They're not attacking a human unless a human is stupid enough to try and corner it.

roundabout

I still feel we should at least explore the idea of trimming the fat off the human race

By *umblefunMan  over a year ago

London/ South East

A lynx is a bit like a cougar, and I’m all in favour of those!

Chelmsford

It's what they mate with that concerns me also...

Chelmsford

What would happen if a lynx mated with an urban fox?

La la land

"What would happen if a lynx mated with an urban fox?"

Seriously

By *extravagantWoman  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Well wild cats are already in the Highlands and discussions are ongoing regarding bring wolves back. 100% all for this. More chance of getting hit by a cyclist in London than you are off with wolves and wildcats attacking you... unless you're a rabbit or a lamb... then you're fucked ! hahaha

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

The only downside to reintroducing them into this country, are the idiots who will want a selfie with them.

When you think that a lynx will fiercely defend themselves when cornered, and although they typically avoid people, they may attack a human if threatened. With its padded, furry claws, the lynx can quietly sneak up on its prey.

Chelmsford

It won't happen. Bringing these evil beasts back is like going into the Dark ages..

Chelmsford

If they bring these buggers back then they will kill our lambs and I turn farmers will hunt them to extinction...History repeats

By *hesblokeMan  over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Beautiful creatures hope they manage them properly

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Jesus Christ Tom where did you learn about reproduction? Species only mate within their own species

By *aturegentdurhamMan  over a year ago

Stanley

A lynx can in theory mate with a domestic cat but it would be very rare.

A wildcat also can mate with domestic cats and these produce what is cat a Kellas cat.

This is a much bigger off spring than both parents and may well be the course of some of the big cat sightings around the country side.

By *opinovMan  over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"What the nob heads don't realise ( ones sat round the table in London dreaming up shit) is that some species were killed off for reasons. They go on about flooding then reinstate beavers down south.....

You can't stroke a lynx, well I have, but ya don't want em prowling around your gaff at night. They entice squirrels in the area and then wonder why there's a rat epidemic. Dicks."

Good god... I have read some utter nonsense in my time!

"It's what they mate with that concerns me also...

"

No bending over to tie your laces after dark in the countryside for you then.

Chelmsford

No bending over to tie your laces after dark in the countryside for you then."

To be fair it's best to avoid the countryside at night. Who knows what animals are on the loose

By *uriouscouple83Couple  over a year ago

Worcester

That’s where hyenas come from Tom. Honest.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm broadly in favour of managed rewilding. There are good reasons for doing this and to have some caution too. Lynx are beautiful animals and it's disgusting that we made them extinct here. They're shy, nervous solitary animals that will pose little risk to us in many places. We have huge areas with limited people but other animal populations that are missing an apex predator, that's not human. Our country should be made fit for much more than just the people who have pillaged it.

roundabout

Some of the comments on this thread remind me of my townie friend who was scared a fox might attack him

Point Nemo, Cumbria

No bending over to tie your laces after dark in the countryside for you then.

To be fair it's best to avoid the countryside at night. Who knows what animals are on the loose "

To clarify... this is a joke, right?

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 22/08/21 11:57:21]

Chelmsford

How many times have foxes attacked babies in their own homes when the patio doors are open in the summer. Now think lynx instead of fox

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 22/08/21 12:00:15]

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"How many times have foxes attacked babies in their own homes when the patio doors are open in the summer. Now think lynx instead of fox "

Totally different range and totally different behaviour... if you want a better comparison, think Scottish Wildcat.

Chelmsford

"How many times have foxes attacked babies in their own homes when the patio doors are open in the summer. Now think lynx instead of fox

Totally different range and totally different behaviour... if you want a better comparison, think Scottish Wildcat."

How many of those buggers are on the loose? Imagine a Scottish wildcat mating with a Lynx.. a bigger even more dangerous animal..

roundabout

"Some of the comments on this thread remind me of my townie friend who was scared a fox might attack him

Fox's have regularly attacked babies when patio doors are left open in the summer. Who knows what damage a lynx could do to a small child "

The fella I'm talking about was eighteen at the time and ran from a fox

Foxes are predominantly nocturnal so it begs the question why the patio doors were open and the child unattended.

Will parents be leaving their infants unattended where the lynx are rewilded?

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"How many times have foxes attacked babies in their own homes when the patio doors are open in the summer. Now think lynx instead of fox

Totally different range and totally different behaviour... if you want a better comparison, think Scottish Wildcat.

How many of those buggers are on the loose? Imagine a Scottish wildcat mating with a Lynx.. a bigger even more dangerous animal.."

Hmmm ... you're not terribly familiar with either species, are you?

Chelmsford

How many of those buggers are on the loose? Imagine a Scottish wildcat mating with a Lynx.. a bigger even more dangerous animal..

Hmmm ... you're not terribly familiar with either species, are you?"

The point is that I do not want to be familiar with either beast ..

Chelmsford

And I don't want to be their breakfast...

Point Nemo, Cumbria

And I don't want to be their breakfast... "

Mate, the point actually is that you haven't a clue what you're on about... you even thought a lynx could breed with a fox FFS!

Chelmsford

And I don't want to be their breakfast...

Mate, the point actually is that you haven't a clue what you're on about... you even thought a lynx could breed with a fox FFS! "

Of course it can.. a donkey can breed with a horse ffs.

The offspring are called mules

Point Nemo, Cumbria

What..?! this is a piss take surely...

I mean seriously, if we're going to stand any chance of preserving our environment were going to have to get serious about educating people about it, not to mention addressing the current spate of Dunning-Krugerism - at what point did we decide someone who scraped a D in food science as the single GCSE is suddenly an expert in environmental sciences after an afternoon of reading fb memes?

For example, and forgive me if I'm being mean here, there are a few statements in this very thread that scream the kind of ignorance that's at the root of the problem.

"They go on about flooding then reinstate beavers down south....."

That's because beavers build semi-permeable dams that sow and spread flow in tributaries, thereby reducing flooding downstream.

"They brought back sea eagles and they now take carrion."

So they also eat dead things already lying around... and yeah, so?.. good, I say - crows and buzzards do that already. I have all three (and more) in my forest and there's no issue at all.

"What would happen if a lynx mated with an urban fox?

.. a donkey can breed with a horse ffs.

The offspring are called mules"

Oh my Jesus fuckity-fucking Christ on a fucking bike!! that's because donkeys and horses are far more closely related than cats and foxes... on what planet can a cat reproduce with a fox?!

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Actually... nah - I reckon you're having a troll/larf Tom, because nobody can be that ignorant.

Very funny.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

LARAMIE, WYOMINGTwenty-five years after gray wolves returned to Yellowstone National Park, the predators that some feared would wipe out elk have instead proved to be more of a stabilizing force. New research shows that by reducing populations and thinning out weak and sick animals, wolves are helping create more resilient elk herds.

For the past 12 years, elk numbers in the park’s largest herd have leveled off between about 6,000 and 8,000, instead of extreme boom-and-bust cycles due to climate fluctuations.

Be nice to have a success story like this, about the Lynx.

Chelmsford

Surely we don't want these big cats reintroduced. They are dangerous buggers and were expelled for a reason. You can read romantic fiction all you like but wolfs and big cats are no longer wanted or valued in the UK.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Better than a mass of pampered pooches. This nation’s obsession with dogs is obscene.

Point Nemo, Cumbria

I prefer to read the science. Y'know, the kind that teaches you why cats can't reproduce with foxes.

Maybe you should try it sometime Tom.

Chelmsford

Oh yes they can...a fox is half dog half cat..a lynx and fox can definitely mate...it does not mean the offspring is fertile but what is certain is that it will be a dangerous beast

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"Oh yes they can...a fox is half dog half cat..a lynx and fox can definitely mate...it does not mean the offspring is fertile but what is certain is that it will be a dangerous beast "

Are you on drugs..?!

Chelmsford

And the jaws will be exceptionally strong. These experiments belong in a lab and not our countryside...

If this plan is muted and there is a march then I will be on it..

"And the jaws will be exceptionally strong. These experiments belong in a lab and not our countryside...

If this plan is muted and there is a march then I will be on it.. "

Does Tom come with any red flags? Only his total misundertanding of the natural world pinkish tinged flag.

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"And the jaws will be exceptionally strong. These experiments belong in a lab and not our countryside...

If this plan is muted and there is a march then I will be on it.. "

I totally hope you do... and that you're interviewed on the telly so you can share your ground-breaking zoological theories and insights with the nation. lol

Point Nemo, Cumbria

If this plan is muted and there is a march then I will be on it..

Does Tom come with any red flags? Only his total misundertanding of the natural world pinkish tinged flag. "

Need to watch out for flags ... they're actually a sinister and dangerous chimaera of knicker and pillow slip.

Chelmsford

Why would any anybody introduce an animal that just kills ....put a lynx in a Henhouse and people after judge

roundabout

"Actually... nah - I reckon you're having a troll/larf Tom, because nobody can be that ignorant.

Very funny. "

I'd figured he was trolling a while back for that very reason.

Chelmsford

If a horse mates with a donkey then you get a mule.. separate species but miles can't mate.. I think I remember that from a movie.. different species can mate . That's why we get pedigree dogs.. like cockerpoodles etc

roundabout

"If a horse mates with a donkey then you get a mule.. separate species but miles can't mate.. I think I remember that from a movie.. different species can mate . That's why we get pedigree dogs.. like cockerpoodles etc "

A cockerpoodle is a mongrel that some bright spark duped poor fools into parting with silly money for. Dogs are all the one species though.

Chelmsford

"If a horse mates with a donkey then you get a mule.. separate species but miles can't mate.. I think I remember that from a movie.. different species can mate . That's why we get pedigree dogs.. like cockerpoodles etc

A cockerpoodle is a mongrel that some bright spark duped poor fools into parting with silly money for. Dogs are all the one species though."

Yes I agree and until scientists tell me that a lynx cannot mate with a fox I will reserve judgement.. I think we are on the same wavelength

"Surely we don't want these big cats reintroduced. They are dangerous buggers and were expelled for a reason. You can read romantic fiction all you like but wolfs and big cats are no longer wanted or valued in the UK."

This is pure poetry

roundabout

"If a horse mates with a donkey then you get a mule.. separate species but miles can't mate.. I think I remember that from a movie.. different species can mate . That's why we get pedigree dogs.. like cockerpoodles etc

A cockerpoodle is a mongrel that some bright spark duped poor fools into parting with silly money for. Dogs are all the one species though.

Yes I agree and until scientists tell me that a lynx cannot mate with a fox I will reserve judgement.. I think we are on the same wavelength "

here now don't you throw that wild accusation around

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

If the Lynx gets rid of the cats which shit in our garden I am all for them.

Chelmsford

Well that's an interesting theory that I had not heard of. The urban fox is bigger, stronger than it's country cousin. Imagine how big these new super lynx would get when they invade our towns. And would the family cat be safe out at night or even worse breed with these dangerous buggers...

If the Lynx gets rid of the cats which shit in our garden I am all for them."

A lynx is a cat.. he will just replace your cat shit with bigger car shit

By *amie HantsWoman  over a year ago

Atlantis

Just shake a bag of dreamies at them, Tom. They’ll learn to respect you and you can make them do your bidding. You’ll need them on side when the sharks invade

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

If the Lynx gets rid of the cats which shit in our garden I am all for them.

A lynx is a cat.. he will just replace your cat shit with bigger car shit "

If that is the case the Mrs might finally let me plant those landmines to deal with the little fuckers

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

I’m waiting for the cougars to be released

By *iltopbearMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

This is by far THE FUNNIEST thread I've read on the forums lately

Chelmsford

"This is by far THE FUNNIEST thread I've read on the forums lately "

Yes and we know who the funny buggers are..

Lynx admirers do not change their spots

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 24/08/21 21:48:20]

Norfolk

You have an over active imagination.

Try living and working with the countryside before you start panicking about chimera!

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I am not qualified to have a strong opinion on this matter. What do the experts say?

Chelmsford

"I am not qualified to have a strong opinion on this matter. What do the experts say? "

There are experts and so called experts and it's about risk.. some will accept the risk that this wild beast may attack a human and some will not accept that risk...

My take on this.. if you want to see these buggers in the wild then it's a short hop to Europe.. don't bring these dangerous killers here ..

By *igtatsMan  over a year ago

gravesend

"I am not qualified to have a strong opinion on this matter. What do the experts say? "

That doesn’t matter on here just pull an answer out your ass it’ll at least give more interesting reading

Norfolk

Not many deaths in Europe involving cats....

Are you scared of your own shadow?

They named helicopters after them so they can't be all that bad

If the lynx can mate with foxes......they could probably mate with adders or sharks?

Norfolk

"If the lynx can mate with foxes......they could probably mate with adders or sharks?

"

Or a Red Deer even, giant man eating cats..... WITH HORNS

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

Lynxes were great. Horizontal Cummins L10 engine. ZF auto box. Went like the clappers. But the bonded side windows fell out on hot days. Mixed blessings. Not Workington's finest hour.

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

When will the first fab casualty happen? Some bloke will undoubtedly use a lynx to compare against his cock

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Not many deaths in Europe involving cats....

Are you scared of your own shadow? "

That's because they're all down as "cardiac event", when really, it was their cat scaring the fuck out of them by jumping out unexpectedly. Unfortunately, there's no clinical code for "death by cat fright".

You're welcome

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

And what do you mean by overrun? Do you think we're going to have city lynx like we do foxes? "

Lynx kill foxes, so that might help the situation.

Part of the problem we have is that we have unbalanced the ecosystem and reduced the habit.

Start fixing that and things should enter a natural balance again.

By *igtatsMan  over a year ago

gravesend

It also said there’s no plans to reintroduce them so……

Norfolk

"

That's because they're all down as "cardiac event", when really, it was their cat scaring the fuck out of them by jumping out unexpectedly. Unfortunately, there's no clinical code for "death by cat fright".

You're welcome "

I concede, thats definitely a death caused by a cat....

One more thing for us to be scared of.......

Stay in your homes... Oh no, not again

roundabout

"If the lynx can mate with foxes......they could probably mate with adders or sharks?

Or a Red Deer even, giant man eating cats..... WITH HORNS "

Big picture, what happens when they start trying to mate with humans????

Big picture, what happens when they start trying to mate with humans????"

The offspring would pribably be cat man / women and be in a marvel film

Chelmsford

Lynx kill foxes, so that might help the situation.

Part of the problem we have is that we have unbalanced the ecosystem and reduced the habit.

Start fixing that and things should enter a natural balance again. "

Nothing like planning for a New World Order. Where have we heard that before ?

roundabout

Big picture, what happens when they start trying to mate with humans????

The offspring would pribably be cat man / women and be in a marvel film "

We'll have to wait and see though Catwoman is DC

Chelmsford

They want to bring back otters now .

Interesting fact.. monks used to eat otters on a Friday because they classed it as fish

"They want to bring back otters now .

Interesting fact.. monks used to eat otters on a Friday because they classed it as fish "

We already have Otters

Interesting fact.. monks used to eat otters on a Friday because they classed it as fish

We already have Otters"

And beavers too

By *he Secret Tea PartyCouple  over a year ago

London

Any reasons why we shouldn’t reinstate native species that we killed off?"

Chelmsford

But do we have monks

We already have Otters"

Chelmsford

We already have Otters

And beavers too "

Beavers are pretty much extinct here .. apart from zoos

North West

We already have Otters

And beavers too

Beavers are pretty much extinct here .. apart from zoos"

Incorrect.

(From the Woodland Trust)

Where do beavers live?

Knapdale, the Tay and the Otter are the only places in the UK with wild, free-ranging beavers. The species has also been introduced to Kent, Essex and the Forest of Dean, but these populations are kept in large, fenced enclosures. The impact of these enclosed beavers is being monitored, with hopes they will reduce flood risk and boost biodiversity.

We already have Otters

And beavers too

Beavers are pretty much extinct here .. apart from zoos"

The lynx had 'em

Chelmsford

We already have Otters

And beavers too

Incorrect.

Where do beavers live?

Knapdale, the Tay and the Otter are the only places in the UK with wild, free-ranging beavers. The species has also been introduced to Kent, Essex and the Forest of Dean, but these populations are kept in large, fenced enclosures. The impact of these enclosed beavers is being monitored, with hopes they will reduce flood risk and boost biodiversity."

Exactly my point...caged like animals .. probably riddled with TB like their badger cousins

North West

We already have Otters

And beavers too

Incorrect.

Where do beavers live?

Knapdale, the Tay and the Otter are the only places in the UK with wild, free-ranging beavers. The species has also been introduced to Kent, Essex and the Forest of Dean, but these populations are kept in large, fenced enclosures. The impact of these enclosed beavers is being monitored, with hopes they will reduce flood risk and boost biodiversity.

Exactly my point...caged like animals .. probably riddled with TB like their badger cousins"

Did you miss the bit about wild and free range?

Beavers can carry a form of pseudotuberculosis but not bovine TB (which is what badgers may transmit).

Chelmsford

We already have Otters

And beavers too

Incorrect.

Where do beavers live?

Exactly my point...caged like animals .. probably riddled with TB like their badger cousins

Did you miss the bit about wild and free range?

Beavers can carry a form of pseudotuberculosis but not bovine TB (which is what badgers may transmit). "

I knew it.. these beavers are caged for a reason.. they are riddled with disease..

I don't want them back..

Chelmsford

I think most of us agree...

No need to Introduce wild animals into England to upset the balance of nature

I think most people are saying we should being them back. We should be helping nature - humans are one species in an ecosystem of many species. The world isnt here simply for us.

Chelmsford

Any yet we interfere.. the lynx are banished for a reason.. keep the buggers out

By *r.SJMan  over a year ago

Wellingborough

"I think most of us agree...

No need to Introduce wild animals into England to upset the balance of nature

"

We've already upset the balance of nature...

Reintroducing them is the only way to address it

"Any yet we interfere.. the lynx are banished for a reason.. keep the buggers out "

They were killed not banished. You miss the point - the planet dosnt belong to us. Other species have just as much right to exist as us

Chelmsford

Whoever brings them back will have blood on their hands when these Lynx kill a human...

Dogs kill humans every year

Chelmsford

Well .. that's restricted to certain breeds ...

And those breeds should be banned..

roundabout

"Well .. that's restricted to certain breeds ...

"

There's no bad dogs, only bad owners. I'd sooner euthanize the owner and rehabilitate the dog

Chelmsford

Did the govery get it wrong banning certain breeds?

I think they banned the American Pit Bull for one. Bred to fight and capable of inflicting horrific damage..

There's no bad dogs, only bad owners. I'd sooner euthanize the owner and rehabilitate the dog"

This is hilarious, honestly. Every habitat needs top predators - it's how ecosystems work Tom. Otherwise secondary or primary consumers increase in numbers and place too great a demand on species lower down or elsewhere in the food chain.

A lynx isn't going to kill you. Or breed with a fox!

There's no bad dogs, only bad owners. I'd sooner euthanize the owner and rehabilitate the dog"

roundabout

Did the govery get it wrong banning certain breeds?

I think they banned the American Pit Bull for one. Bred to fight and capable of inflicting horrific damage..

Breed specific legislation is a load of bullshit.

In the 70's they blamed Dobermans

In the 80's German shepherds

In the 90's rottweilers

Now it's pit bulls.

Pit bulls in the right hands are the most gentle, loving pets around.

Personally I think humans should have to pass a test before being allowed to own a dog.

Norfolk

Humans are the deadliest invasive species......

This is still the FUNNIEST thread on the forum

roundabout

"Humans are the deadliest invasive species......

This is still the FUNNIEST thread on the forum "

One man's fear of a medium sized wild cat and attempt to grasp inter species breeding

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

"A lynx can in theory mate with a domestic cat but it would be very rare.

A wildcat also can mate with domestic cats and these produce what is cat a Kellas cat.

This is a much bigger off spring than both parents and may well be the course of some of the big cat sightings around the country side."

Nah. I think they're practically indistinguishable. The inter species breeding between the two now means the wild cat has gone from seriously endangered to the brink of extinction.

That's what Springwatch said anyway..

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

"This is hilarious, honestly. Every habitat needs top predators - it's how ecosystems work Tom. Otherwise secondary or primary consumers increase in numbers and place too great a demand on species lower down or elsewhere in the food chain.

A lynx isn't going to kill you. Or breed with a fox!"

I think he's clip, clop, like a fox(baiting).

By *olden RatioWoman  over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

This thread is amazing

I think introduce the honey badger to our country. Their name sounds sweet

roundabout

"I think introduce the honey badger to our country. Their name sounds sweet "

What species should be introduced

to the British Isles? My top 5.

The Great White Shark to the Clacton Area.

Giraffes, vegetarian and comical: all public parks to have at least one pair.

Koala Bears in the New Forrest

Wolves to Wolverhampton, a spiritual homecoming

Boa Constrictors on Tyneside.

roundabout

"What species should be introduced

"

Chelmsford

I am pretty sure that they once disbelieved that horses could mate with donkeys and that the offspring is a mule..

Let's not diss the science..

I'm any case they will not bring back a lynx. The Ministers career would be over after the first attack...

"I am pretty sure that they once disbelieved that horses could mate with donkeys and that the offspring is a mule..

I'm any case they will not bring back a lynx. The Ministers career would be over after the first attack..."

Horses and donkeys are genetically much more closely related than foxes and lynx. I agree, let's not diss ACTUAL science

"I am pretty sure that they once disbelieved that horses could mate with donkeys and that the offspring is a mule..

I'm any case they will not bring back a lynx. The Ministers career would be over after the first attack..."

I understand the Lynx can mate with a stoat. That stynx !

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

I think we should introduce every "dangerous" animal we can get our hands on to the Colchester area specifically.

I'm any case they will not bring back a lynx. The Ministers career would be over after the first attack...

I understand the Lynx can mate with a stoat. That stynx !"

Nothing ever stynx when you spray it with some lynx!

roundabout

"What species should be introduced

"

Lynx and/or cougars in Colchester

Flamingos in the lake district

Wolves in the highlands

By *haron1701DTV/TS  over a year ago

ormskirk

Mr"

Agreed, and I spent over 10years as a wildlife and countryside ranger

You can't stroke a lynx, well I have, but ya don't want em prowling around your gaff at night. They entice squirrels in the area and then wonder why there's a rat epidemic. Dicks.

Good god... I have read some utter nonsense in my time! "

Wait til you hear this then... What do you reckon would be more dangerous? a lynx thats a bit of a minx? A goose thats a bit loose? Or a bi-polar bear? (Genuine question)

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Crocs in Colchester - not the odd shoes

Hippos in Henley - lots of water

Lions in Leominster

Pterodactyls in Peterborough

North West

"This is hilarious, honestly. Every habitat needs top predators - it's how ecosystems work Tom. Otherwise secondary or primary consumers increase in numbers and place too great a demand on species lower down or elsewhere in the food chain.

A lynx isn't going to kill you. Or breed with a fox!"

Jeez, don't go all SCIENCE, Kitty. Tom doesn't do Science

Chelmsford

Tom does science but not from those who were given a chemistry set when they were 12 years old...

North West

"Tom does science but not from those who were given a chemistry set when they were 12 years old..."

*Laughing uncontrollably*

Chelmsford

"Tom does science but not from those who were given a chemistry set when they were 12 years old...

*Laughing uncontrollably* "

And of the cap fits then wear it....

North West

"Tom does science but not from those who were given a chemistry set when they were 12 years old...

And of the cap fits then wear it...."

Lovely baseball number you have there, Tom. Not sure the back-to-front style suits you though

Chelmsford

And of the cap fits then wear it....

Lovely baseball number you have there, Tom. Not sure the back-to-front style suits you though "

Taking pops at the OP adds nothing to the thread...

By *actilemale4uMan  over a year ago

London

Is this thread is a wind up

Chelmsford

"Is this thread is a wind up"

Well it's a fantasy for the do gooders who live in cities and have no thought for people living in the country..

Same old story...the toffs think they know what's best...

Sheep farming under enough threat without these aggressive cats being introduced...

"Is this thread is a wind up"

I'm laughing at some of the replies

Chelmsford

This is no wind up or laughing matter... We have these University types who have studied nature but never lived in it. Never had the long walk home from the remote country pub to the remote cottage ...

Not seeing sheep ravaged by domestic dogs and the wild cats like the Beast of Exmoor.

They would introduce wolves and the like and blame the victim for being bit . I roll my eyes after a dogbite and these bufoons blame the owner and not the dog .

Makes my blood boil .

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"This is no wind up or laughing matter... We have these University types who have studied nature but never lived in it. Never had the long walk home from the remote country pub to the remote cottage ...

Not seeing sheep ravaged by domestic dogs and the wild cats like the Beast of Exmoor.

They would introduce wolves and the like and blame the victim for being bit . I roll my eyes after a dogbite and these bufoons blame the owner and not the dog .

Makes my blood boil . "

Are you another one of these Michael Gove types who won’t listen to expert advice? Surely an expert is exactly what we need at this point. Read about what is suggested & what ‘prey’ the Lynx will actually go after. What I object to is not experts, but internet idiots

Chelmsford

"This is no wind up or laughing matter... We have these University types who have studied nature but never lived in it. Never had the long walk home from the remote country pub to the remote cottage ...

Makes my blood boil .

Are you another one of these Michael Gove types who won’t listen to expert advice? Surely an expert is exactly what we need at this point. Read about what is suggested & what ‘prey’ the Lynx will actually go after. What I object to is not experts, but internet idiots "

Good retort.. thank you .

No offence taken . And yes.. the internet idiots are out in force here ..

"Tom does science but not from those who were given a chemistry set when they were 12 years old..."

You have no knowledge of my understanding of science Tom. It's certainly not from a chemistry set. I have a masters in Biology and I know what I'm saying about ecosystems and genetics & reproduction for that matter.

I will concur that farmers do struggle with their livestock being attacked though, and possibly adding lynx back to those areas will add to a few issues. What I was arguing with was the inter-breeding inaccuracies of your statements, that's all.

Urban foxes are generally quite a bit smaller and leaner than country foxes

Chelmsford

You have no knowledge of my understanding of science Tom. It's certainly not from a chemistry set. I have a masters in Biology and I know what I'm saying about ecosystems and genetics & reproduction for that matter.

I will concur that farmers do struggle with their livestock being attacked though, and possibly adding lynx back to those areas will add to a few issues. What I was arguing with was the inter-breeding inaccuracies of your statements, that's all. "

Totally agree thank you .

You are qualified with a Masters Degree in Biology. I am not sure what that means but it sounds important.

And yes I agree. The farmers would suffer.. I follow the science.

Chelmsford

Negative .. they are much bigger

Urban foxes are generally quite a bit smaller and leaner than country foxes"

Chelmsford

Urban foxes are generally quite a bit smaller and leaner than country foxes"

Negative.. urban foxes growing huge because the food is so plentiful in towns.. that's why these beasts migrated from the country... Imagine those big buggers mating with a lynx...

Negative.. urban foxes growing huge because the food is so plentiful in towns.. that's why these beasts migrated from the country... Imagine those big buggers mating with a lynx..."

Apparently you are unwilling to accept that lynx and foxes cannot mate to produce offspring. Despite being told so by someone actually qualified in the area. I give up.

Chelmsford

Negative.. urban foxes growing huge because the food is so plentiful in towns.. that's why these beasts migrated from the country... Imagine those big buggers mating with a lynx...

Apparently you are unwilling to accept that lynx and foxes cannot mate to produce offspring. Despite being told so by someone actually qualified in the area. I give up."

Are you a fox expert.. I studied Biology too.. admittedly I gave it up to study other subjects but when I studied it it was about tadpoles and plants and cells .. no mention of foxes etc

But there we go.. debate is about different views

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Jesus Christ... still?

Chelmsford

The issue is not so much about who they mate with, but about should they be rewilded..

The consus seems to suggest that the majory oppose it but to be fair.. this forum is not representative of the whole community...

My analysis is that people oppose the lynx but the wolf even more ..

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

Is there a list of animals you do think have a right to exist Tom? Some old fella, with a beard is shouting at me from a cloud saying “Wassat? Wos he saying now? Alpacas okay? Wolves not okay?” Jesus, I had but seven frigging days!”

Chelmsford

"Is there a list of animals you do think have a right to exist Tom? Some old fella, with a beard is shouting at me from a cloud saying “Wassat? Wos he saying now? Alpacas okay? Wolves not okay?” Jesus, I had but seven frigging days!” "

I am guessing that you are a creationist .

[Removed by poster at 31/08/21 19:41:26]

Has anyone seen Karl Pilkington? Ive heard he's on Fab.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Has anyone seen Karl Pilkington? Ive heard he's on Fab."

Nice but Bad idea, the ever increasing numbers of humans infesting the uk and the world will cause conflict with the wild animals

Their are wild lynxes in Switzerland. They kill a lot of sheep and deer.

Chelmsford

"Their are wild lynxes in Switzerland. They kill a lot of sheep and deer."

And that's why we don't want the buggers here...

roundabout

And now this thread is done