FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > "Sex is the consolation...

"Sex is the consolation...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iaisonseeker OP   Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

... of those who are not touched by enough love."

So said Gabriel Garcia Marquez, as reliable a chronicler of the motions of the human heart as any poster on the Fab forums.

It's obviously trite to say that love and sex are not the same but the idea that sex is the runners-up prize in affairs of the heart might be controversial. Is sex the ersatz substitute for romantic connection suggested by Garcia Marquez? Or is it the apotheosis of romantic endeavours?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nope they two different things all to gether

Take d*unken one nights stands

Yes as we all probably have

Went out to a club or pub looking for a one night stand I wasn’t looking for romantics and love

Not ashamed to say I was just looking to get pumped lol ha ha

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's a delightfully fun physical act and has little relationship to love for me.

I live a life packed full of love. I have no interest in a monogamous relationship.

I very much enjoy sex. I don't use sex as a poor facsimile of love, but I also don't give or receive love exclusively through sex.

By *lenderfoxMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Obviously people are led on believing someone has romantic feelings for them when in reality they're just being used for sex

Sex is fun and pleasurable, love is heartbreak. I'll take just sex anyday.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"... of those who are not touched by enough love."

So said Gabriel Garcia Marquez, as reliable a chronicler of the motions of the human heart as any poster on the Fab forums.

It's obviously trite to say that love and sex are not the same but the idea that sex is the runners-up prize in affairs of the heart might be controversial. Is sex the ersatz substitute for romantic connection suggested by Garcia Marquez? Or is it the apotheosis of romantic endeavours?

"

I think gabi might have a point. Those who have love in their lives are blessed for sure.

Tin town

I think gabi might have a point. Those who have love in their lives are blessed for sure. "

By the way. Nice use of the word apotheosis!

I think sex can be the consolation but it can also be great in its own right too. Much depends on the situation.

Personally speaking I want more than just sex, I do want to be loved, I crave affection, intimacy and a connection. However being single sex is sometimes a pretty good substitute for some of those things.

I think true enduring love is a higher high than the best sex, so to that extent GGM was right about sex being a consolation prize.

But as consolation prizes go, it’s definitely in the top one.

Liverpool

"Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's a delightfully fun physical act and has little relationship to love for me.

I live a life packed full of love. I have no interest in a monogamous relationship.

I very much enjoy sex. I don't use sex as a poor facsimile of love, but I also don't give or receive love exclusively through sex."

It was perhaps a little crude to set it up as a binary opposition. Sex can be everything or nothing (and plenty of things in between that have very little to do with love) and can often be better understood as self-expression.

Liverpool

I think gabi might have a point. Those who have love in their lives are blessed for sure.

By the way. Nice use of the word apotheosis! "

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's a delightfully fun physical act and has little relationship to love for me.

I very much enjoy sex. I don't use sex as a poor facsimile of love, but I also don't give or receive love exclusively through sex.

It was perhaps a little crude to set it up as a binary opposition. Sex can be everything or nothing (and plenty of things in between that have very little to do with love) and can often be better understood as self-expression."

I get what you are saying and I'm sure for some people it's true and the two are inextricably linked.

There are infinite ways of living.

Liverpool

"I think true enduring love is a higher high than the best sex, so to that extent GGM was right about sex being a consolation prize.

But as consolation prizes go, it’s definitely in the top one. "

I'm inclined to agree and maybe is Fab an illustration of his point - a lot of single people chasing sex because of the absence of love in their lives.

Or is it a refutation of the argument because true swingers are deeply in love with their partners and the sex with others offers a different sort of fulfilment?

I daresay Woody Allen was on the same page as Garcia Marquez when he said "Love is the answer but, while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty questions."

Liverpool

"I think true enduring love is a higher high than the best sex, so to that extent GGM was right about sex being a consolation prize.

But as consolation prizes go, it’s definitely in the top one.

I'm inclined to agree and maybe is Fab an illustration of his point - a lot of single people chasing sex because of the absence of love in their lives.

Or is it a refutation of the argument because true swingers are deeply in love with their partners and the sex with others offers a different sort of fulfilment?

I daresay Woody Allen was on the same page as Garcia Marquez when he said "Love is the answer but, while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty questions.""

*good questions

By *onb21Woman  over a year ago

Cardiff

Yes but not only.

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

Too black and white therefore in some instances it’s true but others not so much. Think of a couple of different scenarios that may help refine

Scenario a. You can have sex with someone you are madly in love with, but you would never see them again. Worth the trade?

Scenario b You can have sex with someone you are NOT madly in love with, but they fall madly in love with you? Worth the trade?

Perhaps it boils down to value? Do you value love over sex? Most would say yes, okay… so you would stay with that person and never have sex again? Unfair trade; love will lead to sex. Okay so does sex lead to love? Most would say no. Hmmmm bugger.

Okay duration then. Sex is momentary (although I’ve been know to go for 90seconds, ladies ) Love is timeless. Hmm okay but then after le petit-mort and knob has been wiped on curtains, what then? Whereas love is washing the curtains…..

After sex one can feel bad, or hungry again in mere moments, it is get rich quick, low effort endorphins, whereas love is poverty with dolphins. So can you compare one to another, neither require the other to exist? How can sex be a consolation for something that is so far removed from it? I wanted forever but now I just have cum stained curtains, and a divot in the bed, I do not feel fulfilled therefore I lost the raffle and the packet of pork scratchings I got as runner up, rather than acting as a consolation, mock me and my sense of value.

At some point during this post I forgot what we were discussing.

I guess that question could be answered by asking another...

Would you prefer to only have sex but never love? Or only love but never have sex? Can either alone and without the other make you happy?

"I guess that question could be answered by asking another...

Would you prefer to only have sex but never love? Or only love but never have sex? Can either alone and without the other make you happy?

"

Meh. Pass my beer

Meh. Pass my beer "

Easily pleased

Meh. Pass my beer

Easily pleased "

You know it

Liverpool

"Too black and white therefore in some instances it’s true but others not so much. Think of a couple of different scenarios that may help refine

Scenario a. You can have sex with someone you are madly in love with, but you would never see them again. Worth the trade?

Scenario b You can have sex with someone you are NOT madly in love with, but they fall madly in love with you? Worth the trade?

Perhaps it boils down to value? Do you value love over sex? Most would say yes, okay… so you would stay with that person and never have sex again? Unfair trade; love will lead to sex. Okay so does sex lead to love? Most would say no. Hmmmm bugger.

Okay duration then. Sex is momentary (although I’ve been know to go for 90seconds, ladies ) Love is timeless. Hmm okay but then after le petit-mort and knob has been wiped on curtains, what then? Whereas love is washing the curtains…..

After sex one can feel bad, or hungry again in mere moments, it is get rich quick, low effort endorphins, whereas love is poverty with dolphins. So can you compare one to another, neither require the other to exist? How can sex be a consolation for something that is so far removed from it? I wanted forever but now I just have cum stained curtains, and a divot in the bed, I do not feel fulfilled therefore I lost the raffle and the packet of pork scratchings I got as runner up, rather than acting as a consolation, mock me and my sense of value.

At some point during this post I forgot what we were discussing. "

The riff on curtains was most entertaining

If you are looking for love just sex will never be enough in the end.

Tin town

"Too black and white therefore in some instances it’s true but others not so much. Think of a couple of different scenarios that may help refine

At some point during this post I forgot what we were discussing. "

Try from a shorter run up.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

"If you are looking for love just sex will never be enough in the end. "

This for me.

» Add a new message to this topic