FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > men in kilts

men in kilts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ary and Bejesus OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ye Olde Stable

Ok ladies, how many of you think men in kilts are bloody sexy?

I think they look bloody delicious in them.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Ok ladies, how many of you think men in kilts are bloody sexy?

I think they look bloody delicious in them."

maybe VIEW, but thats it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think leather ones and dark grey are fantastic! Went to the Clothes Show and there was a cat walk full of guys in them ! I think I may have drooled

The Roman or ancient Greek style leather kilts have to be the best.

The Swiss and modern Greek kilts are too feminine.

Original Scottish or Irish kilts are ok but the traditional one piece of tartan cloth are much better.

By *1dKingColeMan  over a year ago

east london

OK!

I have been invited to a Burns Night.

Question:

Should I wear a kilt?

and if so, what type?

;-)

PS There will be vanilla/semi-vanilla people attending. LOL

You English stick to your Morris outfits

Leave the Kilts for us Scots to wear

Oooops have i offended some???

No offence taken here, but perhaps some scotts should realise that many nations wear kilts and they don't have exclusivity as some would have us believe otherwise there may be some genuine offence taken by those who have a right to be offended.

Walks proudly off to put his morris dancing outfit on

dirtybigbadsgirlville

come on people..men wearing skirts???????

"come on people..men wearing skirts??????? "

Not my cuupa tea but women wear trousers dont they??

Some Irish authors maintain that the male skirt made in tartan fabric was originally dressed in Ireland, and that from there it was introduced in Scotland after Irish-Scots tribes settled in Caledonia around the 5-6th century A.D. The alleged Irish predecessor of the Scottish kilt was called Léine and was a kind of long tunic that stretched down to the knees.

Scottish historians do not agree with their Irish cousins and believe that the real predecessor of the kilt was not the Irish Léine but the Scottish Plaid. The Plaid is a short tartan blanket which is cast over the shoulder and fastened around the waist by a belt. This was worn mainly in the Scottish Highlands as an all-weather outfit that also served as a bedroll for sleeping outdoors.

Both Scots and Irish can claim to be right in their own ways, for the Highland Plaid could indeed have evolved to a shorter garment -the kilt- and the Irish Léine was a knee-length garment which was dressed long before the modern kilt. Yet, long before the Irish were dressing their Léine and Scots were wearing their Plaid, the Galicians were already wearing knee-length male skirts made in tartan: the first Kilt ever recorded!

Dated ca.400 B.C, giant statues were carved in southern Gallaecia (the ancient name of modern Galicia) to honour regional or perhaps high kings of the country.

Those Galician kings are portrayed in a military fashion, in the same way that many mediaeval kings and earls, wearing their sword and shield. But the striking thing about those statues is the way they are dressed. Those men are wearing kilts, over which distinctive patterns of squares and lines are carved as to represent a primitive tartan fabric.

The Galician statues were carved more than five centuries before the first record of the Irish Léine, and almost two millenia before the modern Scottish Kilt.

Moreover, Ancient Gaelic mythology (Irish, Scottish and Galician) tell that the Gaelic tribes of Ireland and Scotland descend from a great migration of Gaels who departed from Brigantia, in the North-West of Galicia. This has been supported by modern DNA research confirming that the original peoples from Ireland, Scotland and Galicia share a common genetic ancestry.

Considering that the Galicians were wearing kilts as early as the 3rd century B.C.

and that Galician Gaels settled in Ireland and kept maintaining trading relations between the two lands ever after, some Irish and Scottish historians may want to review their position and accept that the first record of a man wearing Kilt (as a male skirt made in tartan cloth) is neither Irish nor Scottish, but Galician!

In 18th century Scotland the kilt was a rural garment worn only by people living in the Highlands. Urban Scotland was following the fashion codes which were standard in Europe at the time.

In 1746 the Jacobite army supporting Scotland's royal pretender Bonnie Prince Charlie was defeated at the Battle of Culloden. Since many Highland men fighting for the Jacobites were dressed in tartan and kilt, the British government decided to forbid the wearing of tartan as that could be interpreted as a sign of support for the Jacobite rebellion.

The prohibition of wearing tartan lasted for 36 years until it was abolished in 1782. Inevitably, the ban backfired and the ancient kilt-and-tartan Highland fashion was immediately promoted as Scotland's national dress during the 19th century Scottish cultural revival.

Scotland's best known regiment, The Black Watch, fought alongside the Galicians in the Battle of Corunna, 1808

[Enlarge image]

The return of the kilt as a masculine fashion garment started in the late 18th century as the kilt was adopted as the official uniform of the Royal Scottish Highland regiments.

One of the very first places in Europe to see kilted soldiers in action was Galicia, where the Scottish Black Watch regiment fought alongside the Galicians against the French in the Battle of Corunna in 1808.

Some years later, Scottish writer Sir Walter Scott convinced King George IV of Great Britain to dress in "the garb of old Gaul" during his 1822 State visit to Scotland.

Sir Walter Scott told the King that he should wear the kilt during his State visit to Scotland in order to gain the respect of the Scottish people who had formerly supported the Jacobite cause.

At the same time Sir Walter Scott -who was in charge of organising the Royal visit- told the guests that they were expected to dress in the Highland fashion, as the King would do himself.

Modern Scottish dress, incorporating elements of the 20th century European fashion like the tie and jacket.

[Enlarge image]

The royal reception was to take place in the city of Edinburgh, but the kilt was a rural garment worn only by people living in the Highlands and therefore the Scottish urban aristocracy was not used to wear the kilt.

Sir Walter Scott moved rapidly and printed an instruction booklet so the Scottish urban nobility would know how to dress in the Highland fashion in time for the Royal reception.

The Royal event in Edinburgh was a full success and ever since then, the kilt has been an essential part of the Scottish national dress and has been most commonly associated with all things Scottish.

The way the kilt is worn has evolved significantly over the past century. Some people wear it in a "traditional" style with plaid and jacobite shirt, as in the old Highland fashion. Some others prefer to dress it in a more sophisticated manner, incorporating elegant elements of the contemporary European fashion such as the tie and the suit jacket.

Following the Scottish experience, the kilt was also reintroduced to a lesser degree in the other Celtic nations during the 20th century revival for all things Celtic.

"OK!

I have been invited to a Burns Night.

Question:

Should I wear a kilt?

and if so, what type?

;-)

PS There will be vanilla/semi-vanilla people attending. LOL"

whats the Cole tartan like ?????? would it suit u sir ???

"come on people..men wearing skirts??????? "

Men in lingerie

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"come on people..men wearing skirts???????

Not my cuupa tea but women wear trousers dont they?? "

i grant you they do.....but women look good in trousers lol, just not my thing i guess, give me a man in a nice fitting pair of jeans anyday

By *1dKingColeMan  over a year ago

east london

Well, judging from the response via PM and here it seems it will be dark plain kilt.

LOL

Now where to get one? lol

;-)

ones I saw were about £300.00 - £500.00 so not cheap !

"

ones I saw were about £300.00 - £500.00 so not cheap ! "

Hun that is cheap I looked into getting Hubby one for us getting married (almost 8 years ago) and it was going to cost over a grand just for the damn skirt then they wanted another thousand for the coat shirt socks shoes and sporan - and they wouldnt sell me the knifey thing cos I was under 25!!!

I agree with Femme.

I prefer my man in good fitting jeans showing off his bum

Shona

x x x

"

Hun that is cheap I looked into getting Hubby one for us getting married (almost 8 years ago) and it was going to cost over a grand just for the damn skirt then they wanted another thousand for the coat shirt socks shoes and sporan - and they wouldnt sell me the knifey thing cos I was under 25!!!

I agree with Femme.

Shona

x x x "

thats serious money but to be honest if I ever get married I want my man in a kilt whatever the cost - oh I havent got a man ah well I will dress up a Ken then its cheaper

"

I agree with Femme.

Shona

x x x

thats serious money but to be honest if I ever get married I want my man in a kilt whatever the cost - oh I havent got a man ah well I will dress up a Ken then its cheaper "

marry a jock then hun,

"

I agree with Femme.

Shona

x x x

thats serious money but to be honest if I ever get married I want my man in a kilt whatever the cost - oh I havent got a man ah well I will dress up a Ken then its cheaper "

I decided since his stuff would have cost more than mine he had to wear a suit!

Looked great too but I have promised him for his 40th I will buy him a kilt so I best start saving now

Shona

x x x

There are many places that do sell second hand or ex hire kilts for a fraction of the price you pay new. They will have been cleaned up and pressed like new before going on general sale so its worth a try doing that before splashing out.

"

I agree with Femme.

Shona

x x x

thats serious money but to be honest if I ever get married I want my man in a kilt whatever the cost - oh I havent got a man ah well I will dress up a Ken then its cheaper

marry a jock then hun, "

Ok then form an orderly Q please ...........

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

Have a Gunn tartan kilt, plus jacket, sporran, sgian dubh etc. It is the tartan from my mother's side of the family, and I was married in it; R thinks it looks great. Being made of 9 yards of pleated quality woolen cloth, it all cost a bomb but will last a lifetime, and I've used it for hill-walking as well as Burn's nights and general 'best' wear for going out.

I believe it is OK for non-Scottish ancestry people to wear the Royal Stewart tartan, as the line is now dead and they were once our monarchs. If you're not related to a clan don't risk potential offence by wearing their tartan!

And no, I don't wear anything underneath! As the old saying goes - 'nothing is worn under the kilt, it's all in perfect working order!'

G

Man in kilt for hire lol

its not a skirt it's a kilt. I love a man in one, but has to have tho whole outfit too. Very very sexy indeed x x

"Man in kilt for hire lol"

Mr Bear that looks lovely will you be my wife ???

"Man in kilt for hire lol

Mr Bear that looks lovely will you be my wife ??? "

The offers are flooding in lol well thats two anyway.

mmmm definatley a big turn on for me especially with a nice pair of hairy legs x

our family is the McKay clan

our boys are the last of the McKay's in the clan book in edingburgh castle

bloody horrible tarten though !

you cannie beat a guy in a kilt mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but then again i am a jock lol just call me brave TART lol

It depends on the man, must have nice arse and nice legs, and not too big a tummy!

I think they look bloody delicious in them.

It depends on the man, must have nice arse and nice legs, and not too big a tummy! "

Nice Arse? Check

Nice Legs? Check

Not too big a tummy? Check

If I cant blow my own trumpet who can lol

"It depends on the man, must have nice arse and nice legs, and not too big a tummy!

Nice Arse? Check

Nice Legs? Check

Not too big a tummy? Check

If I cant blow my own trumpet who can lol "

Yup, you like good in a kilt!

who would have thought the kilt could be so informative!! as far as i know the plaid is the thing u wrap roon new born babies when they wont settle n u swaddle them !!!

nowt better than a fit lookin bloke in a kilt either the family tartan or the rangers tartan!! the plain black ones are tidy too!!

u can hire them reasonably about here for weddings burnt suppers (burns) etc!! xx

"who would have thought the kilt could be so informative!! as far as i know the plaid is the thing u wrap roon new born babies when they wont settle n u swaddle them !!!"

I thought that was a shawl - or at least thats what I used when mine were babies . . . . . confused tonight going to give up and go to bed I think before I do something really daft!!!

Shona

x x x

to me n u it was the shawl to my granny it was the plaid!!! i remember it well tartan itchy bloody thing it was!! our family plaid was used for 23 weans and i still have it! many a colicy wean got rumbled in it!to the old yin the shawl was the white knitted number xx

Forum Mod

Samuel L Jackson wearing a kilt in The 51st State....................ppppphhhhhhhhooooooooooaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr

love kilts on guys...v sexy xx

Yup thats what we all had white knitted by granny shawls.

Mind you I think like many things knitting is going out of fashion my mother knitted and my gran before her but I dont, cos I never learnt.

Shona

x x x

mmmmmmm..Christopher Lambert in Highlander...looked fecking HOT..and would blooming love to see my fella dressed up in one...bit of a kink of mine...ravishment in the highland heather...

"Yup thats what we all had white knitted by granny shawls.

Mind you I think like many things knitting is going out of fashion my mother knitted and my gran before her but I dont, cos I never learnt.

Shona

x x x "

i can knit do it a lot then take it to boot sale also do wee tiny premature babie things for local maternity ward!! i need to start back up again when i stop smokin anyone need a scarf lol xxx

"i can knit do it a lot then take it to boot sale also do wee tiny premature babie things for local maternity ward!! i need to start back up again when i stop smokin anyone need a scarf lol xxx "

A woman who I used to work with made loads of scarfs and hats every year we bought them and she donated the money to a different charity each time.

Good luck with giving up smoking

Shona

x x x

men in kilts are fab! men out of their kilts...mmmmmmm! lol

My lovely had the full outfit and it is now worn by my eldest son, it will eventually be passed onto my younger when he grows into it xx

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

http://www.scotlandshopdirect.com/

Try this link for kilts of all types - including black PVC, camoflage print, and cheap polyester! (and all the other regalia).

"who would have thought the kilt could be so informative!! as far as i know the plaid is the thing u wrap roon new born babies when they wont settle n u swaddle them !!!

nowt better than a fit lookin bloke in a kilt either the family tartan or the rangers tartan!! the plain black ones are tidy too!!

u can hire them reasonably about here for weddings burnt suppers (burns) etc!! xx "

Have worn a kilt on many an occasion but as a bluenose myself i would never wear the Rangers tartan. I don't wear any colours as it is apart from when am playing 5's. All it takes is for some twat to timplode when they see your football preference.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

nope a fit guy in a nicely fitting pair of jeans wins everytime.......tell em shona!!!!! lmao

Im a Scot thru and thru but still love a nice hairy body with good quality well fitting jeans on and nothing else

Maybe its cos my man fills jeans so well or maybe its cos my father had a kilt and I never got on with him either way I likes my man in his jeans.

Shona

x x x

men in kilts rock....... and they make for such easy access

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

soooooooooooooooooo sexy x

"who would have thought the kilt could be so informative!! as far as i know the plaid is the thing u wrap roon new born babies when they wont settle n u swaddle them !!!

u can hire them reasonably about here for weddings burnt suppers (burns) etc!! xx

Have worn a kilt on many an occasion but as a bluenose myself i would never wear the Rangers tartan. I don't wear any colours as it is apart from when am playing 5's. All it takes is for some twat to timplode when they see your football preference. "

cancel the wedding if u not wearin rangers tartan its over sob sob!!!

Have worn a kilt on many an occasion but as a bluenose myself i would never wear the Rangers tartan. I don't wear any colours as it is apart from when am playing 5's. All it takes is for some twat to timplode when they see your football preference.

cancel the wedding if u not wearin rangers tartan its over sob sob!!! "

Ya dancer!!!!!

Am a free man!!

Yes Please!! xx

Yes Please!! xx

Couldnt be doing meeting a man in a skirt.

» Add a new message to this topic