FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are you interested in your family tree?

Are you interested in your family tree?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What are your roots?

Turns out my family is of old Prussian nobility stock. I knew we were German but I wasn't expecting that!

I think this is a perfectly acceptable excuse to start putting a 'Von' in the middle of my name

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I know all I need to know about my family.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

family member looked into it..

all pretty average tbh..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It can be interesting tracing your lineage back but you need lots and lots of time free.

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

From the little I know I don't want to unearth those skeletons..

It is fascinating, I love history of all sorts and even more interesting if you have a link. Turned out on my Fathers side we come from a wealthy Dutch Jewish lineage which suprised us all (particularly as grandparents didn't have any money!).

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I am very lucky as my family as kept records that date back rather a long way. My seven year old daughter has started tracing her way though the records and is hoping that her mothers side of the family will help her trace that side.

My grandfather always used to say it is hard to know who you are, unless you know where you come from.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"From the little I know I don't want to unearth those skeletons.."

My mam's side of the family are from Hull, now get in the closet woman, I'll be up in an hour

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"I am very lucky as my family as kept records that date back rather a long way. My seven year old daughter has started tracing her way though the records and is hoping that her mothers side of the family will help her trace that side.

My grandfather always used to say it is hard to know who you are, unless you know where you come from. "

But I know who I am without having to know who my family were in the 15th century!

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"What are your roots?

Turns out my family is of old Prussian nobility stock. I knew we were German but I wasn't expecting that!

I think this is a perfectly acceptable excuse to start putting a 'Von' in the middle of my name "

TronVon604 has got a bit of a ring to it! My Dad's done his family tree back to late 1700s, quite fascinating but no real skeletons in the cupboard for us so far

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"What are your roots?

I think this is a perfectly acceptable excuse to start putting a 'Von' in the middle of my name "

Is that Ron in English? Genealogy is fascinating and I have done some of mine.

My family tree would be.....interesting.

There are some characters in our family that are kind if Red herrings, which leads me yo think somewhere down the line something went bad wrong.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Our family goes back to pre 1066. My ancestors were French. We have a family coat of arms and all.

Pm me for any hints and tips on pre 1840....

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Mine would be very interesting if I could find exact details of one relative, who told lies so he could join the army.

Don't even know if that was his real name or even know his right date of birth.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Mine would be very interesting if I could find exact details of one relative, who told lies so he could join the army.

Don't even know if that was his real name or even know his right date of birth. "

Try with what you know loads of people did the same years ago .

By *ll-Knight-longMan  over a year ago

Derby/Notts(Long Eaton)

Managed to get back to 1793 on my surname side but no records beyond that........did have links to THE big brewery family in Burton upon Trent who originally came from a haulage family in Hinckley

"Mine would be very interesting if I could find exact details of one relative, who told lies so he could join the army.

Don't even know if that was his real name or even know his right date of birth. Try with what you know loads of people did the same years ago ."

Have tried and get to him and get stuck. It was/is a very common name.

I recently found out something really interesting and would love to know if it was true, but will have to wait til I next go to Ireland to find out more stuff from the clan.

Love all the stories from them, it fascinates me.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Don't even know if that was his real name or even know his right date of birth. Try with what you know loads of people did the same years ago .

I recently found out something really interesting and would love to know if it was true, but will have to wait til I next go to Ireland to find out more stuff from the clan.

Love all the stories from them, it fascinates me."

They have opened up census records as well as parish records from Eire.

Don't even know if that was his real name or even know his right date of birth. Try with what you know loads of people did the same years ago .

Love all the stories from them, it fascinates me.They have opened up census records as well as parish records from Eire."

Ooo thank you, that's a great help!

Will look and see what I can find xx

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Online census goes back to 1840, before that, try looking at parish records and before about 1550, you're into visitation records, land sale records and such. Kelly's lists are good for occupations in specific areas.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Online census goes back to 1840, before that, try looking at parish records and before about 1550, you're into visitation records, land sale records and such. Kelly's lists are good for occupations in specific areas. "
This ^^^^^^^ as well Hels...I managed to find all sorts....

French jews on Mums side

Irish catholic on dads

So if you see a ginger man with a big nose playing 'if i was a rich man' on a shillelagh, that will be me

(not that I am ever one to pander to racial stereotypes of course )

"Online census goes back to 1840, before that, try looking at parish records and before about 1550, you're into visitation records, land sale records and such. Kelly's lists are good for occupations in specific areas. This ^^^^^^^ as well Hels...I managed to find all sorts...."

Mwah's thank you! xx

It will mean a lot to my Dad if I can find out stuff.

There is a great big chunk missing out of his history we'd love to find out.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

My cousin researched our family tree a few years back . We all have a copy which is nice now Mum has gone because she had all the family knowledge.

Found out there was a brother 13 I didnt know about died in a shooting accident and a sister died at 4 with scarlet fever. 13 kids in all .

Remember that on average 10% of children were conceived by someone other than their registered father so your (genetic) family tree might look a lot different to your registered tree.

That's worrying...

By *coobyroo218Couple  over a year ago

Guernsey

I have done mine and found a illagitimate son to my great grand father, familly goes back to an early and lady in scotland.

My mams side of tha family is astrange, her mam (my gran ) i can find loads but her dad was adopted and his birth cert gives mam and dad names but they lead no where, looks like he could have been a mistake born out of wed lock and put up for adoption but never got adopted.

Until they release the world war two records I can not do anything yet as I know he joined the army and got posted to the same place as my gran and they married. Once the records are released I should get a next of kin and a last known address.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

keith has traced his family tree back to 1690 in scotland found lots of interesting stuf like his family tartan etc but no big supprises other than his great great grandad was one of 13 children !

Couldn't give a hoot was brought up in foster care

Yep we've looked into both sides quite a lot. In one generation on my mother's side was a Rabbi, on my father's a Pork Butcher!

Couldn't make that up really!

"Yep we've looked into both sides quite a lot. In one generation on my mother's side was a Rabbi, on my father's a Pork Butcher!

Couldn't make that up really!"

haha cracking!

I love all these stories. Great topic OP

my family tree's as boring as fook lol

I fell to sleep half way thro

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

"What are your roots?

Von Tron604!!! Nice ring to it xx

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

"French jews on Mums side

Irish catholic on dads

So if you see a ginger man with a big nose playing 'if i was a rich man' on a shillelagh, that will be me

(not that I am ever one to pander to racial stereotypes of course )"

puzzled look

My family tree includes a victim of jack the ripper.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There's nowhere to go on mine as I'm from indentured slave stock. After my great-grandparents there is nothing, and not much on them.

My brother-in-law works on his every once in a while. It's interesting stuff.

» Add a new message to this topic