FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > queuing at petrol stations ...

queuing at petrol stations ...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Why do people insist on trying to queue up to the petrol pumps on the side of their filler caps ?

Is it impossible to actually carry the hose around the back of your car?

Thereby causing queues three cars deep at the pumps

And breathe ....

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The same thing niggles me..

also once they have filled up why dont people move to a parking space when they are free and its busy before paying

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

Maybe they just arrive at the filling station with plenty of time to spare and aren't in a frantic rush and choose to do this because its an option they have ?? ... not really sure though as I am a cyclist so I don't really have such concerns but just a thought

"Why do people insist on trying to queue up to the petrol pumps on the side of their filler caps ?

And breathe .... "

Its not impossible...but im not laying a hose in my car potentially damaging paintwork....i'll wait patiently..but hey that's just me.

What really niggles me is impatient people queuing up at the pumps !!

"Why do people insist on trying to queue up to the petrol pumps on the side of their filler caps ?

And breathe ....

Its not impossible...but im not laying a hose in my car potentially damaging paintwork....i'll wait patiently..but hey that's just me.

"

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I only buy fuel about 3 times a year nowadays but it was petrol stations with supermarkets attached which pissed me off.

Lengthy queues of people buying a weeks groceries whilst blocking people from handing over their £100 or so for a tankful.

And breathe .... "

Flawed argument! Surely if they're all queuing for pumps on one particular side - then there'll be no queues for pumps on the other side?

"I only buy fuel about 3 times a year nowadays but it was petrol stations with supermarkets attached which pissed me off.

Lengthy queues of people buying a weeks groceries whilst blocking people from handing over their £100 or so for a tankful."

Now thats a pain in the ass....fill up and fck off don't do your weekly shop in the process

I personally dont pull the hose over my car as it can scratch the paintwork, I just turn the car round and back up to the pump so its on the right side of the car

And breathe ....

"

Same here, I wash and wax my car twice a week to keep the paint in as good condition as possible and I'll be buggered if I'm going to cover it in scratches putting fuel in. I'm happy to wait and do the job properly.

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

"The same thing niggles me..

also once they have filled up why dont people move to a parking space when they are free and its busy before paying"

Probably because they will appear to be driving off without paying...people pay as soon as they have filled up and leave their vehicle in situ.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I have a Smart car. Parked correctly the hose easily reaches round the back to the petrol cap without touching the car at all. Doesn't take too long to fill either so I'm good to go pretty quickly. What annoys me are those who park miles away from the pump blocking you from driving away and leading to the person behind waiting longer. I think some people believe they are driving a bus or tank the way they position themselves.

I dont like laying a dirty scratchy hose across my my car and the place i use most to buy my fuel from likes us to pay before getting back in the car otherwise it looks like we are non payers plus there isnt actually anywhere to park other than at the pumps.

"I dont like laying a dirty scratchy hose across my my car and the place i use most to buy my fuel from likes us to pay before getting back in the car otherwise it looks like we are non payers plus there isnt actually anywhere to park other than at the pumps."

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I ride a motorbike so I have the luxury of filling up either side, but it does make me laugj watching some poeple.

The petrol pumps only get reset for the next person once the petrol has been paid for. So there's no point in them moving to a parking space because no one else will be able to use the pump until it's been reset anyway. So actually, it would take longer because they'd be buggering about moving their car...

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

That should be laugh not laugj

By *EXY50ishWoman  over a year ago

Anywhere and nowhere

What REALLY P's me off is when theres huge queues and theres 2 people in the car one just sits there while the other one fills up then pays. If Im ever in that situation whether its friends, kids partner whatever one of us fills and the other goes in to pay.

The car I have varies from month to month whichever one I get from work for the month.

But they are all brand spanking new 13/63 plate cars and it could get scratched to fuck.

But the only time I go the other side is if I'm in a serious rush.

My van for my dogs I don't care.

"What REALLY P's me off is when theres huge queues and theres 2 people in the car one just sits there while the other one fills up then pays. If Im ever in that situation whether its friends, kids partner whatever one of us fills and the other goes in to pay.

"

Or the ones that will just stop and park at the first pump (usually at the back pump) which means the poor sod behind can't get to the vacant front pump.

I think what the OP meant was when there are ques out of the station yet plenty of empty pumps because people wont stretch the hose around the back of the car. And yes that is annoying and inconsiderate.

Why not use the plastic gloves provided and carefully guide the hose round the car to protect your precious paintwork?

Luckily this problem never affects me, my driver always keeps the cars topped up.

And breathe ....

Flawed argument! Surely if they're all queuing for pumps on one particular side - then there'll be no queues for pumps on the other side? "

hahaha

Doh

"I think what the OP meant was when there are ques out of the station yet plenty of empty pumps because people wont stretch the hose around the back of the car. And yes that is annoying and inconsiderate.

Why not use the plastic gloves provided and carefully guide the hose round the car to protect your precious paintwork? "

Because the hose isn't always long enough and no matter how careful you are it still ends up hanging on the car.

"I think what the OP meant was when there are ques out of the station yet plenty of empty pumps because people wont stretch the hose around the back of the car. And yes that is annoying and inconsiderate.

Why not use the plastic gloves provided and carefully guide the hose round the car to protect your precious paintwork?

Because the hose isn't always long enough and no matter how careful you are it still ends up hanging on the car."

And also not to mention the dripping diesel out of the nozzle all over your roof when you go to place the hose back!

I have a 4x4 and don't need the hose to go over the roof. Just pull forward of the pump.

Because the hose isn't always long enough and no matter how careful you are it still ends up hanging on the car.

And also not to mention the dripping diesel out of the nozzle all over your roof when you go to place the hose back!"

Diesel?.....easy cure for that is to man up and buy a proper car!...

By *eareenaCouple  over a year ago

Rockford

I am that pathetic woman who struggles with keys and Getting the cap open and does a weeks shop and parks badly.... sorry

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I always useful pump on the wrong side and it's never ever scratched my precious paintwork you can lift it to stop it hitting your car if you think a smooth Round hose is going to cause untold damage.

I once had a lady give me a load if abuse as she was queuing up on the right side for her car, I nipped in to the free pump on the opposite side and she got all shitty because she didn't think of it first lol

evesham

"I have a 4x4 and don't need the hose to go over the roof. Just pull forward of the pump."

Bet all these moaning about dripping petrol/diesel are the ones who miss the target in the loo as well lol

"I always useful pump on the wrong side and it's never ever scratched my precious paintwork you can lift it to stop it hitting your car if you think a smooth Round hose is going to cause untold damage. "

This

Guys are too worried about damaging their penis extensions.

"The petrol pumps only get reset for the next person once the petrol has been paid for. So there's no point in them moving to a parking space because no one else will be able to use the pump until it's been reset anyway. So actually, it would take longer because they'd be buggering about moving their car..."

Having worked in a petrol station I know that you can have 2 people get petrol one after the other from the same pump without the need to pay for the first lot. It doesn't happen often because it's not well known.

I would rather wait and use the pump at the right side only because I'm always scared the pump won't reach round. Daft really because I know it will but I don't trust my parking.

My pet hate in when they have filled up ..paid .. Then sit in the car putting on there sunglasses . Handing out the sweets to the kids . Getting comfy .. Putting on seat belt .. Just move the bleeding car .. Annnnddd breath

"I have a 4x4 and don't need the hose to go over the roof. Just pull forward of the pump.

Bet all these moaning about dripping petrol/diesel are the ones who miss the target in the loo as well lol "

Yeah whatever.

I drive a brand fucking new car.

But of course, I piss all over my shoes too.

Rockford

"My pet hate in when they have filled up ..paid .. Then sit in the car putting on there sunglasses . Handing out the sweets to the kids . Getting comfy .. Putting on seat belt .. Just move the bleeding car .. Annnnddd breath "

don't forget rummaging around the floor board for the lippy I dropped and then applying said lippy

Well if you can't stick the hose in on the other side you can always do a three point turn and reverse in.

People will thank you...

evesham

Oooohhhhh out of bed the wrong side this morning Ben?

"Well if you can't stick the hose in on the other side you can always do a three point turn and reverse in.

People will thank you..."

Does a 15 point turn count

"I always useful pump on the wrong side and it's never ever scratched my precious paintwork you can lift it to stop it hitting your car if you think a smooth Round hose is going to cause untold damage.

This

Guys are too worried about damaging their penis extensions. "

Nothing wrong with caring for and taking pride in your car.

"My pet hate in when they have filled up ..paid .. Then sit in the car putting on there sunglasses . Handing out the sweets to the kids . Getting comfy .. Putting on seat belt .. Just move the bleeding car .. Annnnddd breath

don't forget rummaging around the floor board for the lippy I dropped and then applying said lippy "

I was talking about the men .. Now dont get me started on the women

Rockford

"Well if you can't stick the hose in on the other side you can always do a three point turn and reverse in.

People will thank you...

Does a 15 point turn count "

snap

My van is a pain due to where the filler is located so I wait for the correct side ( plus I get paid by the hour so I don't mind waiting ) but it does make you laugh at some if the antics when you watch the people at the pumps/waiting for pumps Paul

And breathe .... "

At many filling stations the hoses often don't reach. The ones that do are not over generous and its only possible if its streached over the bodywork the filler handle could then scratch the paintwork. Should people really have to go through this so the person behind is inpatient. Chill out listen to a cd and wait in line patience is a virtue.

People will thank you...

Does a 15 point turn count "

I can hear the applause

People will thank you...

Does a 15 point turn count

I can hear the applause "

Phew , I'm so going to try that next time

"( plus I get paid by the hour so I don't mind waiting ) "

Bet you're one of the buggers that drives really slowly too

Come and live in the boonies...they still fill your car tank for you!

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

My nine year old, dirty and scratched car has a wonky kink somewhere from the filler cap to the tank. This means I have to do some sort of contortion act with the nozzle to enable to petrol to get in the tank. Every time I fill up, I have to reposition the bloody thing several times as the petrol backs up and turns the flow off. I think only one fight per visit is all I can take, don't you.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I pay a lot of money for my cars, therefore, I will choose to use whatever side I like. People that don't like it can go and do one.

evesham

And breathe ....

At many filling stations the hoses often don't reach. The ones that do are not over generous and its only possible if its streached over the bodywork the filler handle could then scratch the paintwork. Should people really have to go through this so the person behind is inpatient. Chill out listen to a cd and wait in line patience is a virtue."

Never encountered one that doesn't reach yet

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Petrol/diesel gets all over the fuel hoses.

When you fill up over your car some of that gets transferred to your paintwork.

Petrol and diesel are solvents.

Solvents strip wax off and damage the paintwork.

I rather queue up and fill up on the fuel-cap side than devalue my car for the sake of seconds.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Because I want to use a pump on the side of the filler cap and because I can.

It's a bit self-centred and arrogant to expect everyone to behave in a way that suits you. Wait until a quiet time or find a quieter petrol station if it bothers you so much.

"I pay a lot of money for my cars, therefore, I will choose to use whatever side I like. People that don't like it can go and do one. "

"Petrol/diesel gets all over the fuel hoses.

I rather queue up and fill up on the fuel-cap side than devalue my car for the sake of seconds.

"

Just for the sake of being a pedant, diesel isn't a solvent, its a heavy oil. Petrol is a solvent though.

But I do agree with you...

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Buy a TR6?

"Buy a TR6?"

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Petrol/diesel gets all over the fuel hoses.

Just for the sake of being a pedant, diesel isn't a solvent, its a heavy oil. Petrol is a solvent though.

But I do agree with you..."

True! my bad where diesel is concerned... it's gritty! I hate the evil smelling slippery (on wet roundabouts) stuff! LoL

And yes I do ride bikes.

By *yphoon1Man  over a year ago

"My pet hate in when they have filled up ..paid .. Then sit in the car putting on there sunglasses . Handing out the sweets to the kids . Getting comfy .. Putting on seat belt .. Just move the bleeding car .. Annnnddd breath "

agreed. its the automotive equivalent of someone who has been in a shop queue for ages then faffs about opening their bag, extracting their wallet/purse, opening that, rooting through for exact change, checking which coupons match which product etc etc but only doing all this when asked at end to pay for the items! (And relax......)

"Because I want to use a pump on the side of the filler cap and because I can.

It's a bit self-centred and arrogant to expect everyone to behave in a way that suits you. Wait until a quiet time or find a quieter petrol station if it bothers you so much. "

This is poetic in it's irony.

Am amazed some of the guys in his thread have time for swinging, seems they spend too much time trying to avoid damage to their precious.....

"Am amazed some of the guys in his thread have time for swinging, seems they spend too much time trying to avoid damage to their precious.....

"

Would you buy a pair of nice shoes and then deliberately tread in dog muck with them?

I'd hazard a guess that the answer is a resounding 'no'. Why should people be forced to possibly damage a car, which they've worked hard to afford, for the sake of some impatient Muppet behind them?

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"My nine year old, dirty and scratched car has a wonky kink somewhere from the filler cap to the tank. This means I have to do some sort of contortion act with the nozzle to enable to petrol to get in the tank. Every time I fill up, I have to reposition the bloody thing several times as the petrol backs up and turns the flow off. I think only one fight per visit is all I can take, don't you."

Is this about the petrol tank?

And breathe .... "

Try doing that in a new petrol station with short hose pumps in a transit van I'd need to pull the darn hose under it and I ain't doing that.

And breathe .... "

Lol...this irritates me also, but I've since realised that not ALL pumps reach round and nobody likes lookin like a fud!

" Would you buy a pair of nice shoes and then deliberately tread in dog muck with them?

I'd hazard a guess that the answer is a resounding 'no'. Why should people be forced to possibly damage a car, which they've worked hard to afford, for the sake of some impatient Muppet behind them?"

Its easy. You put the provided plastic gloves on, you lift the hose round/over the boot and support it there while you fuel. You tap the nozzle to get rid of any drips. You have to run no risk of damaging your car or its paintwork.

To me it's a case of impatience versus selfishness. A little compromise on both sides might make things more rosy.

Just a short trip from where I am sat now there are two petrol stations with entrances directly off a main thoroughfare dual carriageway. At rush hours the ques for these stations come out onto the road causing mayhem. Part of the reason is people not using both sides of the pumps.

Your car will depreciate and sustain damage just through normal use. Id suggest just being careful for the 1 time in 10 you actually have to use the wrong side of the pump is less likely to cause damage than normal driving, and you might make someone's day.

"At rush hours the ques for these stations come out onto the road causing mayhem. Part of the reason is people not using both sides of the pumps.

"

That's oxymoron!

Why not just go WHEN THE PUMPS ARE QUIET!!!

"At rush hours the ques for these stations come out onto the road causing mayhem. Part of the reason is people not using both sides of the pumps.

That's oxymoron! "

What is?

That's oxymoron!

What is?"

Well your suggesting the "reason" for the issue is that we are all incorrectly using the correct side of the pump?..or at least some of us

"Why not just go WHEN THE PUMPS ARE QUIET!!! "

If you're not prepared to use the pumps as they've been designed why don't you go when they're quiet and stop adding uneccesarily to ques?

That's oxymoron!

What is?

Well your suggesting the "reason" for the issue is that we are all incorrectly using the correct side of the pump?..or at least some of us "

What?? Way to twist the english language! PART of the reason, I said. PART. The other reason being volume of custom. Too many cars for the pumps exacerbated by people queuing for one specific side and blocking access to free pumps. That better?

" Would you buy a pair of nice shoes and then deliberately tread in dog muck with them?

I'd hazard a guess that the answer is a resounding 'no'. Why should people be forced to possibly damage a car, which they've worked hard to afford, for the sake of some impatient Muppet behind them?

Its easy. You put the provided plastic gloves on, you lift the hose round/over the boot and support it there while you fuel. You tap the nozzle to get rid of any drips. You have to run no risk of damaging your car or its paintwork.

To me it's a case of impatience versus selfishness. A little compromise on both sides might make things more rosy.

Just a short trip from where I am sat now there are two petrol stations with entrances directly off a main thoroughfare dual carriageway. At rush hours the ques for these stations come out onto the road causing mayhem. Part of the reason is people not using both sides of the pumps.

Your car will depreciate and sustain damage just through normal use. Id suggest just being careful for the 1 time in 10 you actually have to use the wrong side of the pump is less likely to cause damage than normal driving, and you might make someone's day."

You're assuming that the gloves have been stockedand that the hose is long enough to reach over the car without sagging and scratching the roof or bootlid.

My car depreciates enough with daily use without me exacerbating it with easily avoided scratches at the petrol pump.

I'm not selfish or obnoxious I wait my turn patiently and expect others to do the same.

I'm also a car enthusiast if you hadn't already noticed and I don't see why I should damage something I enjoy because the person behind me is impatient...

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

patent number 2186571230254789554447

manufacturers will soon be fitting a filler on BOTH sides of the car.

thanks guys, i'll soon be a millionaire

Can someone show me where it's written what the "correct" way to use a petrol pump is?

The "correct" way for me is to fill up on the side of the filler cap. I don't need to go when it's quiet to do this because I am happy to wait patiently.

As for those of you who aren't happy to wait patiently wanting everyone else to change their behaviour so you don't have to, dream on!

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

I don't actually see what the OPs problem is

If there is a Q at one side because everyone wants to fill up on the side where their filler cap is then use the side of the pumps where nobody is in a Q and you'll be out of the forecourt before the people in the Qs

If there is a Q on both sides then wait your turn like everyone else has to!

"Can someone show me where it's written what the "correct" way to use a petrol pump is?

"

Jodie has that book.

"Can someone show me where it's written what the "correct" way to use a petrol pump is?

Jodie is writing the book. "

Fixed that for ya!...

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

"My nine year old, dirty and scratched car has a wonky kink somewhere from the filler cap to the tank. This means I have to do some sort of contortion act with the nozzle to enable to petrol to get in the tank. Every time I fill up, I have to reposition the bloody thing several times as the petrol backs up and turns the flow off. I think only one fight per visit is all I can take, don't you.

Is this about the petrol tank? "

Only you Lickety, only you

The "correct" way for me is to fill up on the side of the filler cap. I don't need to go when it's quiet to do this because I am happy to wait patiently.

As for those of you who aren't happy to wait patiently wanting everyone else to change their behaviour so you don't have to, dream on!"

As I said, it's impatience versus selfishness.

What gets me pissed off is folk that use one that says pay at pp then go in shop and pay that way the clue is in front of them pay at the pump.

Yes i know folk sometime need stuff from shop but show consideration that use correct pumps.

By *entleman JackMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

Girl returns to her car at petrol pumps:

1) Searches for ages for keys in oversized handbag. Whist there looks at her reflection in drivers door glass, primps hair.......

2) Gets into seat, spends ages adjusting seat to her exact liking.

3) Inspects hair and makeup in rear view mirror

4) Removes high heeled shoes required to go to pay booth, and replaces with comfy driving shoes

5) Opens glove box to find cd of choice.

6) Inspects hair and makeup again in mirror.

7) Looks in bag for mobile phone

8) Checks for incoming texts, and answers all of them......

9) Ejects cd and replaces with another one she likes a little better........

10) Inspect hair and makeup again in mirror

11) Lean over to stow handbag in passenger footwell

12) Check mobile again for incoming messages

13) Adjust rear view mirror to exactly correct driving position.

14) Start engine........except that keys are still in handbag......

15) Lean over to retrieve handbag, search for keys, re-stow handbag

16) Inspect hair and makeup in mirror once again........re-apply lippy.

17) Incoming text.......reply immediately.

18) Eject cd and replace with one stowed right at the back of the glove compartment

19) Rummage round looking for polo mints......

20) Readjust mirror to precisely the right position.......

21) search for tissue to polish fingermarks off rear view mirror.

22) Search for sunglasses.......

23) Check hair and makeup prior to starting engine........

24) Position mobile phone strategically in left hand just in case of any urgent incoming calls or texts

24) Stall the engine trying to start whilst car was in gear.......

25) Sweep out of the garage without looking, causing other drivers to brake to avoid collision, leaving oblivious to scores of fuming motorists still waiting to fill up.........

Yeah I'll be steering well clear of that little bit of sexism!

Shall make a coffee and await replies with interest though....

"Girl returns to her car at petrol pumps:

1) Searches for ages for keys in oversized handbag. Whist there looks at her reflection in drivers door glass, primps hair.......

2) Gets into seat, spends ages adjusting seat to her exact liking.

3) Inspects hair and makeup in rear view mirror

4) Removes high heeled shoes required to go to pay booth, and replaces with comfy driving shoes

5) Opens glove box to find cd of choice.

6) Inspects hair and makeup again in mirror.

7) Looks in bag for mobile phone

8) Checks for incoming texts, and answers all of them......

9) Ejects cd and replaces with another one she likes a little better........

10) Inspect hair and makeup again in mirror

11) Lean over to stow handbag in passenger footwell

12) Check mobile again for incoming messages

13) Adjust rear view mirror to exactly correct driving position.

14) Start engine........except that keys are still in handbag......

15) Lean over to retrieve handbag, search for keys, re-stow handbag

16) Inspect hair and makeup in mirror once again........re-apply lippy.

17) Incoming text.......reply immediately.

18) Eject cd and replace with one stowed right at the back of the glove compartment

19) Rummage round looking for polo mints......

20) Readjust mirror to precisely the right position.......

21) search for tissue to polish fingermarks off rear view mirror.

22) Search for sunglasses.......

23) Check hair and makeup prior to starting engine........

24) Position mobile phone strategically in left hand just in case of any urgent incoming calls or texts

24) Stall the engine trying to start whilst car was in gear.......

25) Sweep out of the garage without looking, causing other drivers to brake to avoid collision, leaving oblivious to scores of fuming motorists still waiting to fill up......... "

I do a lot on that list too - but only if I think it will annoy the person honking their horn behind me when there's a perfectly good vacant pump on the other side.

And breathe ....

"

exactly

Its up to the individual. Why should I mess around stretching it over my car? I don't want to and that is my concern.

"Its up to the individual. Why should I mess around stretching it over my car? I don't want to and that is my concern."

So what you are saying, and indeed proving my point, is that your selfishness in not wanting to put yourself out even slightly is somehow more valid than someone elses impatience in not wanting to relax and wait?

"Its up to the individual. Why should I mess around stretching it over my car? I don't want to and that is my concern.

So what you are saying, and indeed proving my point, is that your selfishness in not wanting to put yourself out even slightly is somehow more valid than someone elses impatience in not wanting to relax and wait?"

I fail to see any point proved or even how its selfish how people fill their cars. You could say its incredible selfish to hassle someone in front of you waiting to fill up. Some people are tight on budget and need to put in only what they have available money wise so need to clearly see the cost going up. Who is the selfish one again?

Ah. How British to join queues and wait patiently.....

Sheeeeep! That's all. Bah meh bah

I have the same trouble with my other hose which sometimes if I'm a bit too far away from the hole wont reach. Trick is to move a little closer to the hole and stretch it a bit further until the said hole is within reach and doesn't damage your paintwork on the sharp bits.

Just chill LOL.

And breathe .... "

2 statements:

"I'll bloody well fill my car up however I like, I don't care how much of a que I cause"

Is the same as

"I'm in a hurry, why don't you move to the free pump so I can get on with my day"

And that is essentially the gist of this entire thread. One side of the argument is just as bad as the other but in different ways.

Your objection is soley based on short sightedness and really weak!

"Its up to the individual. Why should I mess around stretching it over my car? I don't want to and that is my concern.

So what you are saying, and indeed proving my point, is that your selfishness in not wanting to put yourself out even slightly is somehow more valid than someone elses impatience in not wanting to relax and wait?"

So, in your world, people have to damage/devalue something they've worked hard to afford and maintain because you and a couple of other people deem it selfish of them to do otherwise?

The irony I'm seeing is that its not only impatient its also selfish!

Heck, I may just check my oil and tyre tread depth next time I'm filling up!

So what you are saying, and indeed proving my point, is that your selfishness in not wanting to put yourself out even slightly is somehow more valid than someone elses impatience in not wanting to relax and wait?

So, in your world, people have to damage/devalue something they've worked hard to afford and maintain because you and a couple of other people deem it selfish of them to do otherwise?

Heck, I may just check my oil and tyre tread depth next time I'm filling up!"

I'd clean your windows and headlights too, if I were you. And make sure the screenwash is full. Maybe check your tyre pressures to see if you need to go and adjust them. Then go back into the shop to get some hand wipes to clean your hands.

Heck, I may just check my oil and tyre tread depth next time I'm filling up!"

As Ive already said, twice, you don't have to damage your car in any way. Now you're just being stubborn to add to your selfishness!

And breathe .... "

Why not just go round to the wrong side yourself rather than waiting to fill up at your preferred side. Isn't that fairer than expecting the person in front of you to do so????

In Your Bush

As Ive already said, twice, you don't have to damage your car in any way. Now you're just being stubborn to add to your selfishness!"

Out of interest, do you use the opposite side pump?

As Ive already said, twice, you don't have to damage your car in any way. Now you're just being stubborn to add to your selfishness!"

And as I've said an equal number of times, the hose is not long enough or it sags and scratches my car! I only have two hands and one pair of forward facing eyes. I can either stand there looking like a teapot trying to avoid damaging my car and possibly putting more fuel in it than I intended or I can do the job properly and without faffing about or devaluing my car!

By *ebsCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Orpington/london

"I only buy fuel about 3 times a year nowadays but it was petrol stations with supermarkets attached which pissed me off.

Lengthy queues of people buying a weeks groceries whilst blocking people from handing over their £100 or so for a tankful.

Now thats a pain in the ass....fill up and fck off don't do your weekly shop in the process "

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

Because the hose wont reach over or round my car, so I sit and wait patiently

And breathe .... "

Hmmm can't see your problem, if you are willing to take the pipe round the back of your car surely 100% of the pumps are available to you, and only 50% to everyone else... They queue so you don't have to

By *exycleanerWoman  over a year ago

pontefract

my car is a citreon c1 and the filler cap is on the left of car not drivers side so i use other side and go to asda to fill up

as it is card only doesnt have a shop

put card in it reads it then you put fuel in ,bugger when filling motorhome i had to fill up as it locks down at £99

"

As Ive already said, twice, you don't have to damage your car in any way. Now you're just being stubborn to add to your selfishness!

And as I've said an equal number of times, the hose is not long enough or it sags and scratches my car! I only have two hands and one pair of forward facing eyes. I can either stand there looking like a teapot trying to avoid damaging my car and possibly putting more fuel in it than I intended or I can do the job properly and without faffing about or devaluing my car!"

Yes they are long enough. They all are these days for the very reason that they want you to fill up from both sides. So unless you fill up in an old two pump backwater where they still crank it by hand then thats a load of shit.

It's not difficult is it to hold the nozzle in one hand, which you do anyway, and keep the hose clear with the other. Do you have problems using both arms at once? Should we be concerned with other things you may have to co-ordinate your movements with, like for example driving?

I understand about the forward facing eyes. I'll tell you a little trick I learned a while ago, if you twist that fleshy stump between your shoulders and your head you can actually make your head swivel to different directions. It takes some getting used to but it's come in handy.

Any questions? Do I have to do a Youtube video explaining how not to be selfish?

"

And as I've said an equal number of times, the hose is not long enough or it sags and scratches my car! I only have two hands and one pair of forward facing eyes. I can either stand there looking like a teapot trying to avoid damaging my car and possibly putting more fuel in it than I intended or I can do the job properly and without faffing about or devaluing my car!

Yes they are long enough. They all are these days for the very reason that they want you to fill up from both sides. So unless you fill up in an old two pump backwater where they still crank it by hand then thats a load of shit.

It's not difficult is it to hold the nozzle in one hand, which you do anyway, and keep the hose clear with the other. Do you have problems using both arms at once? Should we be concerned with other things you may have to co-ordinate your movements with, like for example driving?

I understand about the forward facing eyes. I'll tell you a little trick I learned a while ago, if you twist that fleshy stump between your shoulders and your head you can actually make your head swivel to different directions. It takes some getting used to but it's come in handy.

Any questions? Do I have to do a Youtube video explaining how not to be selfish? "

Oh yes please but while I'm waiting I'm going to cause a queue while I'm filling up by posting on here

"

Any questions? Do I have to do a Youtube video explaining how not to be selfish? "

1) No they're not all long enough!

2) keeping the hose off my car while wrestling the pump nozzle into the fuel filler hole so it doesn't cut the flow (remember its frequently inverted when using the wrong side and squirts the fuel upwards causing a back.flow) and keeping an eye on how much fuel I'm putting in is a faff.

I'd rather wait patiently for my turn at the correct side and do the job properly and efficiently. You feel free to wrestle with hoses, nozzles and then rant that people are selfish...

evesham

I think you have both laboured your points enough now

"I think you have both laboured your points enough now "

Oh come on we've not got to the hazards of driving erratically around a forecourt to get to a free pump yet!...

evesham

"I think you have both laboured your points enough now

Oh come on we've not got to the hazards of driving erratically around a forecourt to get to a free pump yet!... "

Ok. You have 2 more posts to get to that point!!

In Your Bush

Oh come on we've not got to the hazards of driving erratically around a forecourt to get to a free pump yet!... "

I'm waiting for Jodie to confirm what side she uses

Oh come on we've not got to the hazards of driving erratically around a forecourt to get to a free pump yet!...

Ok. You have 2 more posts to get to that point!!"

Naaa, I can't be arsed!

People should just fill up how they want at the end of the day!!

By *entleman JackMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

Buy a Jaguar XJ..........

They have twin filler caps......

Problem sorted!

I am one of those people.

Mine is on the right hand side and never in my life will i drag the pump to the other side. I cant be arsed to do all that. Why would i do/go through all this hassle just for a few moments.

..if someone cant be patient in line. They are the ones with the issue

I am also one of those people, who when people come close to me whilst driving and are tailgaiting me..i go even slower.

At the petrol pump i'd do the same. If its bothering someone so much. I'd take my time in filling the car with petrol. Just to test how much patience they have.

....yeah. im a right bastard on the road lol

"

2) keeping the hose off my car while wrestling the pump nozzle into the fuel filler hole so it doesn't cut the flow (remember its frequently inverted when using the wrong side and squirts the fuel upwards causing a back.flow) and keeping an eye on how much fuel I'm putting in is a faff.

I'd rather wait patiently for my turn at the correct side and do the job properly and efficiently. You feel free to wrestle with hoses, nozzles and then rant that people are selfish."

It's hardly wrestling is it? It's doing exactly the same as you would do anyway, but with the pump on a different side of the car. Make a meal of it why don't you. You simply can't be bothered and expect everyone else to wait for you. Because THEY have the issues, not you.

Impatience v Selfishness.

"

I'd rather wait patiently for my turn at the correct side and do the job properly and efficiently. You feel free to wrestle with hoses, nozzles and then rant that people are selfish.

It's hardly wrestling is it? It's doing exactly the same as you would do anyway, but with the pump on a different side of the car. Make a meal of it why don't you. You simply can't be bothered and expect everyone else to wait for you. Because THEY have the issues, not you.

Impatience v Selfishness. "

Meh, its their problem...fuck em!...

QED.

Immovable object vs unstoppable force...

I am actually sitting in a car at the local petrol station now, in the middle, between two pumps, blocking both, applying lipstick and posting on here. Purely as research.

Reminds me.. a few months ago I was waiting behind a car filling up for my turn. A car pulled in behind me and after several seconds, blew his horn. I was pulled up fairly close to the car in front (to allow space to pass behind me) so I couldn't go anywhere and I couldn't deduce what he wanted, so I ignored him. Both he and his passenger remained in the car so I figured it couldn't be too urgent.

The person in front of me moved off so I pulled forward and started filling my car. He pulled in at the pump across from me, his car beside mine when the car at that pump moved off. When he got out he demanded to know why I hadn't pulled forward when he "politely asked" - yes, he actually claimed sounding his horn was "politely asking". I pointed out I couldn't have moved forward any more without mating with the car in front and that I hadn't understood what he wanted anyway. He was most put out when I suggested that since we were both in stationary vehicles, had he wanted me to do something, either he or his passenger could have got out and walked all of twenty feet to ask me.

So there you have it folks, if you want to make a request of another road user, blow your horn politely.

"I am also one of those people, who when people come close to me whilst driving and are tailgaiting me..i go even slower."

Me too. Although I'll use any pump that's free. It gets battered enough on the roads round here for me to be bothered about the depreciation a rubber hose might do to the paint work.

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

And breathe ....

"

Such a trivial thing to get so riled up about. Each to their own. Simples

well easy way out of that is to go to an alnight garage then,no queues late at night.

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Wow! The attitude some of you carry around is astounding!

*Her*

By *ovelybumCouple  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

"The petrol pumps only get reset for the next person once the petrol has been paid for. So there's no point in them moving to a parking space because no one else will be able to use the pump until it's been reset anyway. So actually, it would take longer because they'd be buggering about moving their car..."

"Wow! The attitude some of you carry around is astounding!

*Her*"

Nice tits.

*me*

100+ posts for how to fill up your car lol.

Each to their how they do it...but for the record....i work damn hard to pay for my penis extension a £30k Audi(irrelevant but I'll tell you all anyway)

Nobody in their right mind would do something that could damage their luxury items.....

If we were all the same it would be boring.

"The petrol pumps only get reset for the next person once the petrol has been paid for. So there's no point in them moving to a parking space because no one else will be able to use the pump until it's been reset anyway. So actually, it would take longer because they'd be buggering about moving their car... "

As I said before I worked in a petrol station and it is possible to have 2 different cars fill up one after another on the same pump without the first one paying for their fuel.

"100+ posts for how to fill up your car lol.

Each to their how they do it...but for the record....i work damn hard to pay for my penis extension a £30k Audi(irrelevant but I'll tell you all anyway)

Nobody in their right mind would do something that could damage their luxury items.....

If we were all the same it would be boring. "

You'd think they could put the cap on the wrong side for that price though!

Or at least some decent paint.

Or at least some decent paint."

lol or at least one on each side.......now there's a thought

And breathe ....

Same here, I wash and wax my car twice a week to keep the paint in as good condition as possible and I'll be buggered if I'm going to cover it in scratches putting fuel in. I'm happy to wait and do the job properly."

I'm only 5'3" and i can quite easily hold the hose up off my car and put petrol in it

Or at least some decent paint.

lol or at least one on each side.......now there's a thought "

Stick it right in the middle - see how the fussy buggers on here handle that

And breathe ....

Same here, I wash and wax my car twice a week to keep the paint in as good condition as possible and I'll be buggered if I'm going to cover it in scratches putting fuel in. I'm happy to wait and do the job properly.

I'm only 5'3" and i can quite easily hold the hose up off my car and put petrol in it "

That would be multi-tasking. Men don't do it apparently.

Doesn't bother me at all...usually means I can get to a pump and be gone whilst they're still queuing!

I think the problem is that most petrol stations have closed down and turned into carwashes, and were all queing up for the remaining fuel stations that are over subscribed.

A lot of stations now specifically state you aren't allowed to stretch them over, or they've made them shorter.

Jodie still swerved the question I notice..

Which side of the pump does he/she use?

Jodie has debated everything else but swerved that!

"Jodie still swerved the question I notice..

Jodie has debated everything else but swerved that! "

That's because Jodie probably doesn't drive!

And breathe ....

I'm only 5'3" and i can quite easily hold the hose up off my car and put petrol in it "

As I keep saying, the hoses are often too short and why should I faff around because the person behind me is either impatient or late?

"Jodie still swerved the question I notice..

Jodie has debated everything else but swerved that!

That's because Jodie probably doesn't drive! "

evesham

"A lot of stations now specifically state you aren't allowed to stretch them over, or they've made them shorter."

never seen that, only seen pictures promoting using both sides.

"A lot of stations now specifically state you aren't allowed to stretch them over, or they've made them shorter.

never seen that, only seen pictures promoting using both sides."

It's true. The ones near me aren't long enough.

I thought they made pumps so you don't pull it round to the other side. The pipes used to be longer but for safety reasons the pipes were not supposed to be run round under the boot because of hot exhaust pipes. The only way they can possibly reach is if you park very close to the pump and you can't get round on the pump side.

Is it me or is some bollocks being talked on this thread and why?

"I thought they made pumps so you don't pull it round to the other side. The pipes used to be longer but for safety reasons the pipes were not supposed to be run round under the boot because of hot exhaust pipes. The only way they can possibly reach is if you park very close to the pump and you can't get round on the pump side.

Is it me or is some bollocks being talked on this thread and why? "

It's also because the hoses and nozzles have compression fittings and pulling and stretching them damages them, which causes potential leaks.

"I thought they made pumps so you don't pull it round to the other side. The pipes used to be longer but for safety reasons the pipes were not supposed to be run round under the boot because of hot exhaust pipes. The only way they can possibly reach is if you park very close to the pump and you can't get round on the pump side.

Fuck me..where was you earlier??...

Jodie would have loved that comment!

[Removed by poster at 30/09/13 23:03:40]

Jodie would have loved that comment! "

Well it kind of is cos it doesn't reach at most tescos or at sainsburys either

And breathe ....

Flawed argument! Surely if they're all queuing for pumps on one particular side - then there'll be no queues for pumps on the other side? "

Ah no...there's a bias for cars with the flap on the drivers side because that would normally put you out of traffic if you had to use a jerry can at the side of the road as most cars for the UK are adapted from designs for Europe. Useless bit of info I've acquired soemwhere!

what about the twat that parks tooo close to my car so I can't get back in it?

Jodie would have loved that comment!

Well it kind of is cos it doesn't reach at most tescos or at sainsburys either "

I know..

But he/she still fully expects us to at least try and drag it over the top of a brand new 63 plate car.

Normally I wouldn't care..but since I joined fab, if I turn up to a meet with Fuel hose marks on my roof they might not shag me...

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I can't believe there are 146 posts on putting the hose on the other side lol

Well there is now.

Every garage I know of round here has signs to say 'use both sides'.

"I can't believe there are 146 posts on putting the hose on the other side lol "

It's a serious topic.

also once they have filled up why dont people move to a parking space when they are free and its busy before paying

Probably because they will appear to be driving off without paying...people pay as soon as they have filled up and leave their vehicle in situ. "

i have never been accused

Well there is now.

Every garage I know of round here has signs to say 'use both sides'."

Sure they do because European cars have them on the right and Japanese cars on the left they dont want some ham fisted fucker swinging on the pipe.

All this talk about scratching psint and pulling hoses over yhe top...

i think thats the answer..

people seem unaware that you can position your car so the hose goes round the back as hoses are long.. ive never scratched my paint and fill up about 3 timed a week

"

Sure they do because European cars have them on the right and Japanese cars on the left they dont want some ham fisted fucker swinging on the pipe."

Jahahaha!

As in use both sides because the pump reaches both sides of the vehicle

People don't take much notice of them though

Well there is now.

Every garage I know of round here has signs to say 'use both sides'."

if pumps werent meant to be pulled round then why is so many pumps labelled extra long

Nobody post after me now..because that will be post #157 and I want to save that to bump it when Jodie comes online!!

Southwick

Probably because they will appear to be driving off without paying...people pay as soon as they have filled up and leave their vehicle in situ.

i have never been accused "

It's not filling station etiquette to drive off without paying. ..even to a different part of the forecourt.

It's not filling station etiquette to drive off without paying. ..even to a different part of the forecourt. "

It is at many Asda's you pay from your car on exit you need your facts right.

By *tevelizCouple  over a year ago

northampton

a lot of garages don't like you to leave the pump until you have paid

It's not filling station etiquette to drive off without paying. ..even to a different part of the forecourt. "

there is an etiquette..

so its better to let a queue a cars wait while u get coffee or something... yh thats s better etiwueyte

It's not filling station etiquette to drive off without paying. ..even to a different part of the forecourt.

there is an etiquette..

so its better to let a queue a cars wait while u get coffee or something... yh thats s better etiwueyte "

As someone who worked in a petrol station I can say everyone I worked with preferred the cars to stay at pump while people paid especially when it's busy. There is nothing worse than trying to keep an eye out for potential drive offs while at the same time trying to serve others.

"Nobody post after me now..because that will be post #157 and I want to save that to bump it when Jodie comes online!! "

She won't be online for ages - there was a massive queue at the petrol station.

By *iker ladMan  over a year ago

Hinckley

"Nobody post after me now..because that will be post #157 and I want to save that to bump it when Jodie comes online!!

She won't be online for ages - there was a massive queue at the petrol station."

Prob cos in the confusion the nozzle went in the wrong hole.

"Nobody post after me now..because that will be post #157 and I want to save that to bump it when Jodie comes online!!

Prob cos in the confusion the nozzle went in the wrong hole."

I don't think she has that problem

Southwick

It is at many Asda's you pay from your car on exit you need your facts right."

You need to get your facts right...Asia is pay at the pump:

"ASDA filling stations

ASDA operates 160 filling stations across the country.  Their fillings stations are conveniently located at the major store sites making it quick and convenient to fill up.  ASDA filling stations are a no frills affair, they do not have shops at the filling stations and all of the fuel has to be purchased at the pump.  Whilst this speeds things up because you are not waiting for someone to do their weekly shop whilst buying fuel it means you can’t pay in cash.  All stations provide disposable gloves at the pumps, there are  air and water filling services are also located on the forecourt.  As for the future of ASDA filling stations it would seem sensible to assume that they will be offering more refueling options as the demand for  electric and hydrogen options gathers pace. se the map below to find Asda petrol stations and fuel prices, or use their own store locator to find all Asda supermarkets."

there is an etiquette..

so its better to let a queue a cars wait while u get coffee or something... yh thats s better etiwueyte

As someone who worked in a petrol station I can say everyone I worked with preferred the cars to stay at pump while people paid especially when it's busy. There is nothing worse than trying to keep an eye out for potential drive offs while at the same time trying to serve others. "

what exactly can the staff do ifvsomeone drives off? Surely if its discovered petrol isnt paid for then its the cameras and security systems that need to be relied on... so what difference would knowing straight away or 5 mins later make?

Prob cos in the confusion the nozzle went in the wrong hole.

I don't think she has that problem "

evesham

Asda in Dagenham has a pay on exit system much like a toll booth. you fill up then move to the toll booth to pay for the fuel. no shop, just petrol

Southwick

*Asia=ASDA haha

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"ASDA filling stations

ASDA operates 160 filling stations across the country.  Their fillings stations are conveniently located at the major store sites making it quick and convenient to fill up.  ASDA filling stations are a no frills affair, they do not have shops at the filling stations and all of the fuel has to be purchased at the pump.  Whilst this speeds things up because you are not waiting for someone to do their weekly shop whilst buying fuel it means you can’t pay in cash.  All stations provide disposable gloves at the pumps, there are  air and water filling services are also located on the forecourt.  As for the future of ASDA filling stations it would seem sensible to assume that they will be offering more refueling options as the demand for  electric and hydrogen options gathers pace. se the map below to find Asda petrol stations and fuel prices, or use their own store locator to find all Asda supermarkets.""

Apart from Dundee Asda (and probably others too) where you move away from the pumps to pay at a booth on your way out of the forecourt!

there is an etiquette..

As someone who worked in a petrol station I can say everyone I worked with preferred the cars to stay at pump while people paid especially when it's busy. There is nothing worse than trying to keep an eye out for potential drive offs while at the same time trying to serve others.

what exactly can the staff do ifvsomeone drives off? Surely if its discovered petrol isnt paid for then its the cameras and security systems that need to be relied on... so what difference would knowing straight away or 5 mins later make?"

Because where I worked it was the person that authorised the pump that was responsible for ensuring that the fuel was paid for even if they had to pay for it. And yes we did have to pay for drive offs if it was shown that we hadn't noticed it straight away.

"ASDA filling stations

ASDA operates 160 filling stations across the country.  Their fillings stations are conveniently located at the major store sites making it quick and convenient to fill up.  ASDA filling stations are a no frills affair, they do not have shops at the filling stations and all of the fuel has to be purchased at the pump.  Whilst this speeds things up because you are not waiting for someone to do their weekly shop whilst buying fuel it means you can’t pay in cash.  All stations provide disposable gloves at the pumps, there are  air and water filling services are also located on the forecourt.  As for the future of ASDA filling stations it would seem sensible to assume that they will be offering more refueling options as the demand for  electric and hydrogen options gathers pace. se the map below to find Asda petrol stations and fuel prices, or use their own store locator to find all Asda supermarkets.""

Actualy he is right I have been to many asda filling stations where you fill up and drive through to a pay cubical there is one in Huddersfield Barnsley and Bradford for starters also at Minworth and South Birmingham I have been to myself if you are going to be pedantic get your facts right with real knowledge not from snipits from google it makes you look a bit of a fool

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

"ASDA filling stations

Our Asda has pay at the pump AND a drive through kiosk to pay at after filling.

I only ever fill on the side of my filler cap after an embarrassing situation on a very crowded forecourt where I parked on the 'other side' and tried to pass the hose over but it was connected to itself with some kind of cord. I'm only 5'1" and couldn't even reach to see if I could release it ... in the end I just had to replace the nozzle and drive away. Never again!

Southwick

"Asda in Dagenham has a pay on exit system much like a toll booth. you fill up then move to the toll booth to pay for the fuel. no shop, just petrol"

I avoid Dagenham.... however I'm going by my own experience as well as what I posted as information from a website..

Whilst information can be wrong. ok so there are some that you have to drive to a pay point.

As Moody says...who has worked at a filling station...it is expected that drivers leave their car at the pump until payment is made .

there is an etiquette..

what exactly can the staff do ifvsomeone drives off? Surely if its discovered petrol isnt paid for then its the cameras and security systems that need to be relied on... so what difference would knowing straight away or 5 mins later make?

Because where I worked it was the person that authorised the pump that was responsible for ensuring that the fuel was paid for even if they had to pay for it. And yes we did have to pay for drive offs if it was shown that we hadn't noticed it straight away. "

Im still confused. How can you tell in advance if someone msy drive off or not? Also how does not authorising the next vehicle make a runner pay? Surely they would of legged it..

how were you meant to stop a runner? Jump in front of a moving vehicke?

So those who dont notice shoplifters is supermarkets have to pay toi?

I always find it so funny some people think whats on a website is gospel then look stupid afterwards. Makes me laugh though big time and you need something to laugh at.