FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Servicing a car..

Servicing a car..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I understand its not a legal thing like an MOT.. but is it financially viable on older cars (mine being 10)

It wouldnt even get £500 if it were to be sold, so am i best saving the money i would spend on a service and just run it into the ground?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Worth changing oil and filter and checking front brakes depends on your mileage

"Worth changing oil and filter and checking front brakes depends on your mileage"

would that not have been done on an MOT (Feb)

Im clueless

Devon

No Mot just checks over the car nothing like that is done

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"No Mot just checks over the car nothing like that is done "

erm, the brakes come into an MOT

Devon

"No Mot just checks over the car nothing like that is done

erm, the brakes come into an MOT"

Brake performance on rollers but not condition not allowed to remove wheel trims wheels or brake drums for mot

notts

Brake performance on rollers but not condition not allowed to remove wheel trims wheels or brake drums for mot"

they inspect how much wear is left on the pads and the condition of the discs for scoring, also brake fluid leaks, corroded pipes and perished hoses

Devon

Brake performance on rollers but not condition not allowed to remove wheel trims wheels or brake drums for mot

they inspect how much wear is left on the pads and the condition of the discs for scoring, also brake fluid leaks, corroded pipes and perished hoses"

Correct but do not remove wheels a lot more checked on service they have changed some of mot regs on disc condition cant fail as many for rusty discs anymore

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

if you do your basic maintanance , oil filter and air filter and all that should last you for another wee while , just find a small garage, tht has good reviews amd get it done there dont do it at the dealerships couse they charge u a fortune for the work the fo alone . hope this helps .

Brakes wear out, they need to be checked. Get it serviced

The term for running cheap cars is bangernomics

A yearly oil change on older petrol cars is advisable, and spark plug condition check. Twice yearly oil change on older diesels.

Air/fuel Filters once a year. Ask them on its next MOT to tell you the percentage effectiveness of the brakes and that'll tell you if they need looking at.

By * for KinkMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"

It wouldnt even get £500 if it were to be sold, so am i best saving the money i would spend on a service and just run it into the ground? "

I'm intending to run mine until it fails, majorly. It's a diesel and has completed over 250K so, just worn in.

Find an independent garage and ask for an MOT plus service; get the brakes, oil, filters (inc. air and fuel) serviced, replace tyres dependent on wear and carry on driving.

I'm no longer worried about the bodywork as d*unken f**kers seem to be attracted to it, it's unlikely to be stolen or damaged (other than by d*unken f**ks) and comes in at around £200 per annum.

Nick

If there are more problems not related to service issues I'd save your money and wait for it to blow.

If the car is running fine and has no other issues that would cost you more than the cars worth to fix keep servicing it and it will keep going. Most of a service you could probably do yourself with a bit of YouTube tuition.

S x

mines only done around 60,000 i think and had a cambelt change when the head gasket got done.

you need to change the oil and filters at about 18000 miles depending on make and model. an air filter is very important too. you can go to a website like euro car parts put in your reg and it will show you service parts look up 4 spark plugs if petrol oil and filter and air filter. a male friend should be able to change all in an hour or so for the price of a coffee......

i am doing a friends daughters clio and from said company all the parts plus oil are £39 as they got a sale on atm. will take me about an hour and a half including draining down the oil and changing the filter and cabin pollen filter. for which i get a cooked sunday roast

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

What car is it year an is it petrol or diesel ?

Just remember that the idea of a service is about preventative maintenance, it gives an oppurtunity to check and inspect areas not seen with out some stripping and even changing the oil and filters can sometime throw up signs of impending problems building with the car. I've had a garage for 25 years and now recon that an average yearly cost of service and basic maintenance is about £550 per year for your basic run of the mill cars. Not servicing just ends up building surprise breakdowns and often cars ending up with massive bills that would of been far less if they had of been picked up during a routine service !

We had a mondeo with over 200,000 miles on the clock. It had a slipping cultch for the last four years but still pottered around town and did five hundred mile round trips regularly.

Only got rid of it last month.

Miss the heated screen

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Chester

Yes a service could find issues. Ie low brake fluid low oil. A pinch you could ask a fabber to change spark plugs change oil air filter check brake pads etc. Coolant. Change. Run a Scan with a fault code reader basic preventive maintance a must

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

That sounds expesive in sure if you shop around you can get it cheeper

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Check out your local adult learning centre/night school, chances they run a basic car maintenance course and for a few £ and a night a week for 6/12 weeks you will get to learn what to do to service and maintain your car.

"I understand its not a legal thing like an MOT.. but is it financially viable on older cars (mine being 10)

It wouldnt even get £500 if it were to be sold, so am i best saving the money i would spend on a service and just run it into the ground? "

Change your oil and filter every 6 k if you buy cheap oil or at manufacturers intervals if you use recommended oil

If you have the know how change air filter and spark plugs periodical as well

A lot of the national chains do a oil service for under 30 which is a little more than you can get the bits yourself for.

Always worth doing, your car theoretically can do over 300 k if you never change the oil again, be lucky to do another 30 k

There is very little that can be done on a service now, the majority is just checking for things that are worn or may go wrong, and the mot does this

"We had a mondeo with over 200,000 miles on the clock. It had a slipping cultch for the last four years but still pottered around town and did five hundred mile round trips regularly.

Only got rid of it last month.

Miss the heated screen"

Only 220 mine did 350 I sold it to a builder and it is still going now

I'd save your money tbh. As long as it runs fine and there is enough oil in the car I wouldn't bother.

Servicing a car regularly will save you money in the long run, especially on fuel. The car will be more reliable too, saving you money on unexpected break downs. It's doesn't matter what age or mileage, regular oil and filter changes and a regular dose of Redex will help your car stay on the road for longer, especially with all the recent changes in the fuel we're using.

i know in my heart i should and probs will get it done,, but its £150 plus VAT

im just grumpy lol

"i know in my heart i should and probs will get it done,, but its £150 plus VAT

im just grumpy lol "

You can find a willing bloke to do it for far less than that. The parts aren't expensive. Google carparts4less (can't post a link) and you'll get oil, filters and plugs for about £50.

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

My car is also 10 yrs old but looks newer and has very low mileage. I had mine serviced on mon. Its peace of mind I also know I have a good mechanic.

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

im just grumpy lol

You can find a willing bloke to do it for far less than that. The parts aren't expensive. Google carparts4less (can't post a link) and you'll get oil, filters and plugs for about £50."

Don't they also deliver the parts ?

im just grumpy lol "

Make sure you have good breakdown cover.

im just grumpy lol

You can find a willing bloke to do it for far less than that. The parts aren't expensive. Google carparts4less (can't post a link) and you'll get oil, filters and plugs for about £50. Don't they also deliver the parts ?"

Yes, free delivery on all parts, often next day too. Their prices for service parts are excellent.

im just grumpy lol

Make sure you have good breakdown cover. "

That costs me just under £200 a year too.. im with the AA..

got the package that means they will take me home, recover the car to a garage of my choice or put me up in a hotel ..

god dam my mother living a 5hr car journey away.. lol

im just grumpy lol

You can find a willing bloke to do it for far less than that. The parts aren't expensive. Google carparts4less (can't post a link) and you'll get oil, filters and plugs for about £50. Don't they also deliver the parts ?

Yes, free delivery on all parts, often next day too. Their prices for service parts are excellent."

cheers for that will have a ganders!.. your a sweetie really

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

It's false economy and potentially dangerous, not to carry out basic routine maintenance.

belts/filters/fluids/plugs/coils/leads need to be changed at the recommended intervals.

Tyres, brake pads/shoes/discs should be inspected regularly and changed before becoming critical.

Whether you skimp or not, depends on how long you want your car to last, how reliable you want it to be and how safe it is for it to be on the road

notts

im just grumpy lol

got the package that means they will take me home, recover the car to a garage of my choice or put me up in a hotel ..

god dam my mother living a 5hr car journey away.. lol"

if your with lloyds or tsb bank, you get AA cover included with certain current accounts

"It's false economy and potentially dangerous, not to carry out basic routine maintenance.

belts/filters/fluids/plugs/coils/leads need to be changed at the recommended intervals.

Tyres, brake pads/shoes/discs should be inspected regularly and changed before becoming critical.

Whether you skimp or not, depends on how long you want your car to last, how reliable you want it to be and how safe it is for it to be on the road

"

Oil, water, brake fluid, power steering and tyres should be checked every week and before any long journeys. Don't always trust the owners manual regarding belt change intervals, many manufacturers change the interval if there are significant numbers of failures before the specified time/mileage.

It is worth checking out your local adult education centre as they run courses on motor maintenance. Will be signing my daughter up when she learns to drive x

"It is worth checking out your local adult education centre as they run courses on motor maintenance. Will be signing my daughter up when she learns to drive x"

An excellent idea.

"

if your with lloyds or tsb bank, you get AA cover included with certain current accounts"

Natwest

Oil is the life blood of the engine

You must change the oil and filter regularly.

Air filters clog up making the car sluggish and costing you more money in fuel.

By *ercedes_SLKMan  over a year ago

nottingham

As previously stated

Buy from carparts4less which are the same company as eurocarparts

If you have brake wear indicators on the car (yellow circle) warning light when turning on ignition, then no need to worry about brakes until that lights up or you start getting pulling or vibration under braking

Oil & oil filter change every 10k miles

Air filter and plugs generally every 20k miles

Oil level

Water level

Windscreen washer fluid

Tyre pressures

EVERY WEEKEND

Why not buy the parts and get somebody around from here to do it for you......call it a photo opportunity......lol

If I was closer, I would have done it for you......without the photos

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"

Bloody 'ell that sounds expensive. Im sure I dont pay anywhere near that...

By *issBehavingxxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"

if your with lloyds or tsb bank, you get AA cover included with certain current accounts

Natwest "

Aren't they the same group as RBS?? I get RAC free with my RBS account

I do my oil and filters every 6k and flush the cooling system every 12k I also change the gearbox oil every 24k. Always use higher than Alfa's specified Selinia oil.

Another top tip is to swap the rear wheels with the fronts to keep the tyre wear the same, because rears don't wear as quickly as fronts and the rubber perishes.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

im just grumpy lol

Start rescue does the same for £25.85 for a car your age, add on homestart and it is £35.45

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I like to get mine MOT'd by a MOT only centre and then serviced afterwards by the chap who's been doing the family's cars for donkeys years. I think it pays to keep on top of these things, but then I put aside a sum of money each month for car stuff and presents.

Devon

Use genuine parts where possible far better quality cheap parts not always good idea most parts departments will do deals and price match

» Add a new message to this topic