FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Mobile Web App feedback > New App - add GPS!

New App - add GPS!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rish_lad69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

[Removed by poster at 16/04/12 11:23:47]

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rish_lad69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

It would be great to have a GPS feature that you can see who's around you?

By *ilandlarryCouple  over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

that is DEFINITELY one we would opt out of

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"It would be great to have a GPS feature that you can see who's around you? "

It will show on browse page by end of summer, with privacy controls

Admin x

By *onandsallyCouple  over a year ago

Pembroke

"that is DEFINITELY one we would opt out of "

X2

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can't wait for this, checking it in supermarket or pub and knowing others around u somewhere who were swingers, sounds great. X

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"that is DEFINITELY one we would opt out of

X2 "

me too

By *habsMan  over a year ago

Fortress of Solitude, Middlesex

Oh I can see it now:

That guy that has been emailing me for years and won't take no for an answer as am not interested in guys...

One day I turn on FabsMobile while waiting in supermarket queue and it bleeps ...

..."He's behind you!"

Is a good idea, other sites do it now where you can switch it on and off when you want it.

Providing people can opt out it could be a useful addition particularly for dogging.

Default turned off though please

By *Sensual40Man  over a year ago

South Woodford

Haha ... Or even better, you take your old dear shopping, get to the til and the lady at the til looks up and says to all within earshot 'Your profile says you are 12"...show me' and tries to grab ur junk

"Oh I can see it now:

That guy that has been emailing me for years and won't take no for an answer as am not interested in guys...

One day I turn on FabsMobile while waiting in supermarket queue and it bleeps ...

..."He's behind you!""

"Is a good idea, other sites do it now where you can switch it on and off when you want it."

I think people need to understand what this actually is: GPS is more like Sat Nav.. except the destination is other swingers.

Knowing just how much people leave their bluetooth devices on, I dread to think people leaving they "swinger GPS" on while out with family doing the shopping only to have some random person tap them on the shoulder expecting to follow them home for a meet.

By *ohnny4playMan  over a year ago

Kinross

Off by default I think is a must for privacy, given the resolution of GPS today.

Perhaps if enabled it should time out in a manner similar to the options in ´looking to meet today´?

Default off is the standard for security and I would hope the developers are taking note, we wouldn't want them to be in the same boat as Google and Apple by gathering location information would we

I also see it may be helpful for example if you were dogging or looking for a meet in a public place so there's an argument there for the pro side.

However all I see the app as, is a stalking tool for spurned or vengeful individuals. Not everyone is technically competent knowing where the settings are to turn off the gps.

So before there's complaints in the forums of people "stalking" with the help of the app I would highly suggest "default off". Send all uses a mail explaining then the "improvement" is being rolled out and how to use it

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"Default off is the standard for security and I would hope the developers are taking note, we wouldn't want them to be in the same boat as Google and Apple by gathering location information would we

I also see it may be helpful for example if you were dogging or looking for a meet in a public place so there's an argument there for the pro side.

However all I see the app as, is a stalking tool for spurned or vengeful individuals. Not everyone is technically competent knowing where the settings are to turn off the gps.

So before there's complaints in the forums of people "stalking" with the help of the app I would highly suggest "default off". Send all uses a mail explaining then the "improvement" is being rolled out and how to use it"

We're sensitive to all privacy concerns, we don't want to be tracked down to our North London suburban hideout either (without our consent).

And the GPS feature, if enabled, will not be "exact" (no maps or anything like that) and will only be active while you are actively browsing the site.

Admin x

Absolutely with you on the concerns.

However I and others might have jumped the gun and speculated on how it is to be implemented into the site.

Now my knowledge and understanding of gps is to locate a point anywhere in the world via satellites, I'm not going into accuracy so let's just say your car gps can pin down an address to a street in a chosen city/ town .

So in order for myself and others to make an informed choice about the app.

Could you please explain what the app is intended to do and how it is to be used.

Thank you

"Is a good idea, other sites do it now where you can switch it on and off when you want it."

which sites are those?

xx

I still don't feel a feature that lets people know your location and strangers walking up to you, is justifiable: if I want people to know where I am or will be at any point in time, I will say so (ie, club xyz with the cindarella's sisters), rather than my phone having not turned off the browser and my coordinates being transmitted.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"I still don't feel a feature that lets people know your location and strangers walking up to you, is justifiable: if I want people to know where I am or will be at any point in time, I will say so (ie, club xyz with the cindarella's sisters), rather than my phone having not turned off the browser and my coordinates being transmitted."

so totally agree, what about ppl who log in on their phones in their lunch hour, perfectly legitimate but shows they work in a hospital, council office,school, army base or other establishment where they could loose there job for being here.

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"I still don't feel a feature that lets people know your location and strangers walking up to you, is justifiable: if I want people to know where I am or will be at any point in time, I will say so (ie, club xyz with the cindarella's sisters), rather than my phone having not turned off the browser and my coordinates being transmitted.

so totally agree, what about ppl who log in on their phones in their lunch hour, perfectly legitimate but shows they work in a hospital, council office,school, army base or other establishment where they could loose there job for being here. "

We've written about this elsewhere. In a nutshell, those who are concerned don't need to be this is something you'll need to turn ON, the default will be OFF and it won't trasmit location unless you are ACTIVELY using the site.

We don't want people coming to our North London hideout and knocking on our door either (unless we invite them).

Admin x

I think the GPS feature should have say a 5 minute timeout on the site, that way people worried about still being trackable if they forget to log out neednt worry, i think the gps is a good idea

Why not just have the GPS work out the distance from your location, that way it could be, for example 3.5 miles away in any direction. Still useful, but not giving away any exact location.

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

liking what admin have stated on numerous threads that is will be based on postcodes rather than absolute location ... so no different to using the normal search function available

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"Why not just have the GPS work out the distance from your location, that way it could be, for example 3.5 miles away in any direction. Still useful, but not giving away any exact location."

We'll only be showing distance in "bands", no ones location will be shown on a map or exactly

We've not finalised what these bands will be but something like

0-2 miles away

3-5 miles away

etc.

Admin x

By *heRainManMan  over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"liking what admin have stated on numerous threads that is will be based on postcodes rather than absolute location ... so no different to using the normal search function available "
I think you're confusing 2 different things:-

1) Better location based searching, which WILL use the (first part of the) postcodes that I'm sure we've all added to our profiles

2) A function (as yet unimplemented) of the mobile web site, to show other mobile users (who have GPS and who opt in!!) within a certain range of your CURRENT GPS location.

Depending on how small a limit Admin set on the GPS, the postcode search is more likely to bring fellow Fabbers to your door, than the GPS search!!

The 1 question no one has asked yet. Will this feature be free for all or only for gold members ?

Warrington & Glasgow

"The 1 question no one has asked yet. Will this feature be free for all or only for gold members ?

"

I'd presume it would only be available for site supporters!

Sj_mark are taking there time replying to that one lol

Warrington & Glasgow

Real life, perchance?

"Is a good idea, other sites do it now where you can switch it on and off when you want it.

which sites are those?

xx"

I have a friend uses a dating site, I was with friend one night when he mentioned there was someone in the area open to meeting, it didn't state where, just let him know there was someone available and gave the option to message but not track down the person.

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"The 1 question no one has asked yet. Will this feature be free for all or only for gold members ?

"

Not fully figured this out but all users in at least some form .

Admin x

how about a friends only GPS then?... anyway I've no interest in a smartphone, or their usage for fab..I like seeing pussys on a bigger screen

only have gps if your bluetooth is on ,do you think that would be possiable!

People seem to be getting their knickers knotted over this one.

I use a site that has this feature, it's only accurate within about a mile so it can't pinpoint that your sitting in chair 3 at Krazy Kuts having your vajazzle tinted!

Chill out guys, I'd use this a lot as I travel around the country on business.

It's a neat little add on to enhance this excellent mobile app.

(gets down off soap box)!

By *s_4_uCouple  over a year ago

nottinghamshire

I think people are not listening to admin.

You will not be tracked if you don't want to. !

There is no chance of you leaving gps on. !

The feature will not pinpoint ure exact location.!

SIMPLE.

I don't think you will be able to track people I have an app that already does this badoo and it just tells you distance in km

"I don't think you will be able to track people I have an app that already does this badoo and it just tells you distance in km "

I agree it's not going to pinpoint the person(s) with a big arrow saying them over their. It'll be a rough distance and guide and id imagine just the user name if you click on the icon close by, nothing more.

Warrington & Glasgow

"I think people are not listening to admin. "
Really ???

Not only that could be used by police to track potential play areas

Nobody seems to get this......

Your GPS signal will be passed to the software on this site down to 3mtrs (10 ft) accuracy. The site will only show your position down to say a postcode level.

But, and it is quite a big but, ALL the GPS information is sent, there is no way to stop it. It should be fairly easy to log into the server with software designed for GPS scanning using account details, the site obviously won't appear but is IS theoretically possible for the GPS data to be read. As this is NOT being filtered by the site, it is quite possible that exact positions can be found.

If anyone cares to do the research, this has been done! The data that admin chooses to show on the site bears no relation to the data that the GPS software collects.

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"Nobody seems to get this......

Your GPS signal will be passed to the software on this site down to 3mtrs (10 ft) accuracy. The site will only show your position down to say a postcode level.

But, and it is quite a big but, ALL the GPS information is sent, there is no way to stop it. It should be fairly easy to log into the server with software designed for GPS scanning using account details, the site obviously won't appear but is IS theoretically possible for the GPS data to be read. As this is NOT being filtered by the site, it is quite possible that exact positions can be found.

If anyone cares to do the research, this has been done! The data that admin chooses to show on the site bears no relation to the data that the GPS software collects."

This is mostly FUD

People with corcerns can just not opt in

Admin x

I cannot wait for this. So easy 2 just meet for a quick fix

Omg!!! how f/ing gud! Where's Stephen Hawkins when u need him lol

who on earth thinks anybody is going to cum up to them in the street and expect a shag.

please wake up and listen..its already happening on other sites.

we cant wait.when somebody wants to meet they switch it on..simplez.

if liker us you have blocked all the single guys etc whats the prob.

ffs get a grip

"Default off is the standard for security and I would hope the developers are taking note, we wouldn't want them to be in the same boat as Google and Apple by gathering location information would we

So before there's complaints in the forums of people "stalking" with the help of the app I would highly suggest "default off". Send all uses a mail explaining then the "improvement" is being rolled out and how to use it"

Great for dogging and day meets

Summer as definatly ended now or it at least feels like it, so are we getting the phone gps gadget thing now then ?

"that is DEFINITELY one we would opt out of "

"who on earth thinks anybody is going to cum up to them in the street and expect a shag.

please wake up and listen..its already happening on other sites.

we cant wait.when somebody wants to meet they switch it on..simplez.

if liker us you have blocked all the single guys etc whats the prob.

ffs get a grip "

Lol, happened to me in the supermarkets at summer when I had my kids and sister with me!! One of these things that you always assume wont happen to you, and when the creepiest guy you can imagine comes over and asks you loudly, it's pretty scary

By *incsmale71Man  over a year ago

lincoln

Well the man doesn't know decorum then I don't think the ppl on here would be like that I hope

So before there's complaints in the forums of people "stalking" with the help of the app I would highly suggest "default off". Send all uses a mail explaining then the "improvement" is being rolled out and how to use it

We're sensitive to all privacy concerns, we don't want to be tracked down to our North London suburban hideout either (without our consent).

And the GPS feature, if enabled, will not be "exact" (no maps or anything like that) and will only be active while you are actively browsing the site.

Admin x"

thank god for that

It'll be great for Stalkers haha

Won't it be based on which cell tower you are using rather than switching your phones GPS on? Therefore only ever approximate?

Sounds superb !

DAM! i was hoping this would pinpoint my exact spot as whilst on a meet i could have the chance then of more than one guy turning up... if it only goes on post code areas then whats the difference to the basic search that already does this.. seems a little pointless to me.. i thought GPS could pinpoint your exact spot.. i was looking forward to this until just reading the replies and now i dont see the point in it.

if i want to let someone know where i am i think i will email or phone them this is a no go for us

» Add a new message to this topic