FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Starmer’s £28 billion green flip flop

Starmer’s £28 billion green flip flop

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    17 weeks ago

What’s going on with this?

Every day the position seems to change.

As usual Starmer seems to want to appeal to everybody, those who want net zero at any cost, and those who prefer some fiscal prudence and are sceptical about the viability of net zero targets.

Meanwhile, in the real world, EV sales are collapsing, green businesses are failing, and the EU is rowing back on its agriculture reforms in the face of farmer protests.

Not really inspiring much confidence in a potential Labour government.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *erry bull1Man 17 weeks ago

doncaster

Bet zero is going to take decades and doesn’t matter how much money you throw at it , it just won’t and can’t happen overnight

By *uddy laneMan 17 weeks ago

dudley

"What’s going on with this?

As usual Starmer seems to want to appeal to everybody, those who want net zero at any cost, and those who prefer some fiscal prudence and are sceptical about the viability of net zero targets.

Meanwhile, in the real world, EV sales are collapsing, green businesses are failing, and the EU is rowing back on its agriculture reforms in the face of farmer protests.

Not really inspiring much confidence in a potential Labour government."

Net zero is a big cash grab for a project that will never be accomplished.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 17 weeks ago

golden fields

Yes, he's scared if he does anything for the environment that also brings down energy costs that he won't get the funding from that sector for the Labour party.

Politics in this country is broken.

golden fields

Net zero is a big cash grab for a project that will never be accomplished. "

I mean, the fossil fuels industry receive 100s of billions in subsidies every year. They're not going to give it up anytime soon.

Meanwhile people are freaking out over a couple of quid for a wind farm that would reduce our energy bills and reduce our impact on the environment.

dudley

I mean, the fossil fuels industry receive 100s of billions in subsidies every year. They're not going to give it up anytime soon.

Meanwhile people are freaking out over a couple of quid for a wind farm that would reduce our energy bills and reduce our impact on the environment. "

All energy is sold at market value on an exchange dictated by the spot price, cheap energy is an illusion.

dudley

Meanwhile people are freaking out over a couple of quid for a wind farm that would reduce our energy bills and reduce our impact on the environment.

All energy is sold at market value on an exchange dictated by the spot price, cheap energy is an illusion."

Here is a guaranteed way to get the population in on the net zero agenda,

A 2-3mwh wind turbine costs around 2-3 million to buy and install connected to the grid which will power around 1500 homes, at 3 million

1500 energy users would need to put in £2000 investment to get in on the act of the green agenda and real cheap energy from your own wind turbine.

By *otMe66Man 17 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Meanwhile people are freaking out over a couple of quid for a wind farm that would reduce our energy bills and reduce our impact on the environment. "

What are these fossil fuel subsidies?

golden fields

What are these fossil fuel subsidies? "

direct transfers: direct expenditures by governments to recipients, which could be either consumers or producers;

tax expenditures: the amounts of tax benefits, or preferences, received by taxpayers and forgone by governments;

income or price support mechanisms: various types of economic mechanisms, most of which can be considered cross-subsidies, i.e. involve transferring amounts of money from groups of people/technology/territory to another specific group;

RD&D budgets: various types of provisions for financial and/or other preferential mechanisms to support innovation.

By *uietbloke67Man 17 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

There is an echo in here

Terra Firma

direct transfers: direct expenditures by governments to recipients, which could be either consumers or producers;

tax expenditures: the amounts of tax benefits, or preferences, received by taxpayers and forgone by governments;

income or price support mechanisms: various types of economic mechanisms, most of which can be considered cross-subsidies, i.e. involve transferring amounts of money from groups of people/technology/territory to another specific group;

RD&D budgets: various types of provisions for financial and/or other preferential mechanisms to support innovation."

Our government is paying towards the fossil fuel industries R&D? What do we get in return?

golden fields

RD&D budgets: various types of provisions for financial and/or other preferential mechanisms to support innovation.

Our government is paying towards the fossil fuel industries R&D? What do we get in return?"

Not sure why you're asking about our government. That's not what I'm talking about.

But if you want to know that stuff, I'm sure you can find out.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 17 weeks ago

nearby

He is going to be a dreadful prime minister.

Uncosted flip flop policies, and proposed chancellor couldn’t tie Gordon Browns shoe laces.

By *aribbean King 1985Man 17 weeks ago

South West London

Thats why you cant trust Keir Starmer, lost count on how many things his flipped flopped on. Not a credible trait for a Prime Minister I'm afraid

Terra Firma

Our government is paying towards the fossil fuel industries R&D? What do we get in return?

Not sure why you're asking about our government. That's not what I'm talking about.

But if you want to know that stuff, I'm sure you can find out."

I’m curious why you trot out the fossil fuel subsidies quote at every opportunity.

I’ve read about some subsidies, but that doesn’t really line up with what you’re saying

golden fields

But if you want to know that stuff, I'm sure you can find out.

I’m curious why you trot out the fossil fuel subsidies quote at every opportunity.

I’ve read about some subsidies, but that doesn’t really line up with what you’re saying"

What is it that you're reading that doesn't line up with the subsidies being paid to get he fossil fuels industry?

South West London

And whats scary is that most of you will be voting for him knowing that his likely to be even worse then the Tories

By (user no longer on site) 17 weeks ago

"And whats scary is that most of you will be voting for him knowing that his likely to be even worse then the Tories "

‘Knowing’?

I can’t even fathom the idea of less competent govt. than we’ve had since 2017 (and that’s being generous, because they’ve been incompetent since 2010)

golden fields

"And whats scary is that most of you will be voting for him knowing that his likely to be even worse then the Tories "

Can you give an example of what would be worse than the Tories? Policy, rhetoric, narcissism, nepotism, etc. what would be worse?

"And whats scary is that most of you will be voting for him knowing that his likely to be even worse then the Tories

Can you give an example of what would be worse than the Tories? Policy, rhetoric, narcissism, nepotism, etc. what would be worse?"

Economic meltdown

A crackdown on free speech

Further intrusion into our individual freedom to choose how we live our lives.

All of these things are a dead cert under Labour.

South West London

Its my civil duty to tell you guys what to expect from Labour if they were to be in Government and it won't be sunshine and rainbows

"Its my civil duty to tell you guys what to expect from Labour if they were to be in Government and it won't be sunshine and rainbows"

Do tell us then. Don’t talk in riddles - what are Starmer’s labour planning?

South West London

Lets start with the stifling and annoying political correctness also known as woke. It will reach new heights in the hands of Keir Starmer who's unwilling to define what a woman is and takes the knee to latest divisive woke cause. Strikes that we already suffered will get worse giving the Union Barons bankroll the Labour Party. Borrowing and the National Debt wont fall because the public sector will expect a cash bonanza if Labour get in. Why? because those working in the public sector are Labours electoral constituencies.

"Lets start with the stifling and annoying political correctness also known as woke. It will reach new heights in the hands of Keir Starmer who's unwilling to define what a woman is and takes the knee to latest divisive woke cause. Strikes that we already suffered will get worse giving the Union Barons bankroll the Labour Party. Borrowing and the National Debt wont fall because the public sector will expect a cash bonanza if Labour get in. Why? because those working in the public sector are Labours electoral constituencies."

There’s that word again - woke. Have you defined it yet?

Also, if the unions are pally with Labour, why would there be more strikes? (Labour will IMO make a sensible choice on rail strikes and allow individual TOCS to negotiate with their staff, rather than avoiding negotiations at a national level as the DFT have done)

I reckon you’re talking abject nonsense. If I was the prime minister, I’d bet you a grand that you’re wrong.

South West London

Taxes wont go down to any significant extent because Labour dont really believe in low taxes. More often then not they mislead low taxes are trickal down economics which isnt true. Given the state of the country at the moment we're so broke that its likely taxes will go up to fund Labours policies and ambitions. More spending and generous pay rises will mean that inflation currently in retreat will return as a threat.

South West London

Now Im not sure what people opinions on Brexit is but to those who affocated for Brexit, its unlikely to be safe in the hands from a man who campaigned for a secound referendum.

golden fields

"Lets start with the stifling and annoying political correctness also known as woke. It will reach new heights in the hands of Keir Starmer who's unwilling to define what a woman is and takes the knee to latest divisive woke cause. Strikes that we already suffered will get worse giving the Union Barons bankroll the Labour Party. Borrowing and the National Debt wont fall because the public sector will expect a cash bonanza if Labour get in. Why? because those working in the public sector are Labours electoral constituencies."

So less racism. Less transphobia. More kindness. More strikes because workers aren't treated as badly (not sure i can see your logic here). And some weird assumptions about the public sector.

I'll be honest, I'm not going to vote labour, but these are not on my agenda for potential problems we'll face with them in power.

golden fields

"Now Im not sure what people opinions on Brexit is but to those who affocated for Brexit, its unlikely to be safe in the hands from a man who campaigned for a secound referendum. "

How could Brexit be any worse?

"Now Im not sure what people opinions on Brexit is but to those who affocated for Brexit, its unlikely to be safe in the hands from a man who campaigned for a secound referendum. "

Given the consistent polling about Brexit, I’d argue that Starmer’s stance (no rejoin, no single market, no customs union) is incorrect - he should be telling the public that we’re going to solve the problems that Brexit has caused.

golden fields

"Taxes wont go down to any significant extent because Labour dont really believe in low taxes. More often then not they mislead low taxes are trickal down economics which isnt true. Given the state of the country at the moment we're so broke that its likely taxes will go up to fund Labours policies and ambitions. More spending and generous pay rises will mean that inflation currently in retreat will return as a threat."

Tax only going down a bit. Surely even if down, that's still good? Isn't it?

South West London

Again I will say this no government is perfect and the Tories have been disastrous for the last 14 years in power. Boris was terrible and Liz Truss was well meaning with some good ideas but in the end another disaster as she clearly didnt do her homework. While Sunak has stabled things but running the country quietly, competently and bookishly may not be enough

South West London

And running the country is my greatest concern should Labour prevail. Now one thing I might give Starmer credit for is that he isnt an extremist like Jeremy Corbyn. However if Labour was to win by a majority of 30 seats for example I believe a Labour Government will be ungovernable. Starmer would do secret deals to his rebels within the party which might bring chaos to the country and a shift to the far left politicly.

"And running the country is my greatest concern should Labour prevail. Now one thing I might give Starmer credit for is that he isnt an extremist like Jeremy Corbyn. However if Labour was to win by a majority of 30 seats for example I believe a Labour Government will be ungovernable. Starmer would do secret deals to his rebels within the party which might bring chaos to the country and a shift to the far left politicly. "

A 30 seat majority would be a disappointment for Labour, given polling.

South West London

The Tories have been a disaster in recent years and Im sure everyone can agree with that. Personally I like Sunak but the party hell no. So yes its time for a change but my big fear is that people will vote for a change for the worse

South West London

"Now Im not sure what people opinions on Brexit is but to those who affocated for Brexit, its unlikely to be safe in the hands from a man who campaigned for a secound referendum.

How could Brexit be any worse?"

I didnt say worse it wont be safe

"Now Im not sure what people opinions on Brexit is but to those who affocated for Brexit, its unlikely to be safe in the hands from a man who campaigned for a secound referendum.

How could Brexit be any worse? I didnt say worse it wont be safe"

Why won’t Brexit be safe? It’s done. We left.

golden fields

How could Brexit be any worse? I didnt say worse it wont be safe"

Okay, what do you mean by unsafe?

golden fields

"And running the country is my greatest concern should Labour prevail. Now one thing I might give Starmer credit for is that he isnt an extremist like Jeremy Corbyn. However if Labour was to win by a majority of 30 seats for example I believe a Labour Government will be ungovernable. Starmer would do secret deals to his rebels within the party which might bring chaos to the country and a shift to the far left politicly. "

You mean that they might be in danger of making policy that benefits British people and the UK as a whole, instead of themselves, ultra rich and big corporations?

By *lfasoCouple 17 weeks ago

South East

All those wind farms are contributing 6% of our electricity needs this evening. Let’s build 10 times as many so that just over half of us can have the lights on.

All those wind farms are contributing 6% of our electricity needs this evening. Let’s build 10 times as many so that just over half of us can have the lights on."

I don’t think anyone believes that we can find all our required power through wind alone - but it will form part of a renewable network.

Sensible, no?

golden fields

All those wind farms are contributing 6% of our electricity needs this evening. Let’s build 10 times as many so that just over half of us can have the lights on."

30.2% of our electricity was generated via wind farms in the last year.

South East

All those wind farms are contributing 6% of our electricity needs this evening. Let’s build 10 times as many so that just over half of us can have the lights on.

30.2% of our electricity was generated via wind farms in the last year."

Trouble is, I, and most civilised people, have become accustomed to having electricity all day every day. Neither wind nor solar will ever satisfy that expectation, particularly as more people are forced to have electricity powered heat pumps and electricity charged vehicles.

South East

I don’t think anyone believes that we can find all our required power through wind alone - but it will form part of a renewable network.

Sensible, no? "

Renewable network will source power from what exactly, on those cold windless nights?

Sensible, no?

Renewable network will source power from what exactly, on those cold windless nights?"

Wind, solar, hydro, tidal and nuclear will all play their part in the future (storage is key, not the means of creating the energy)

golden fields

30.2% of our electricity was generated via wind farms in the last year.

Trouble is, I, and most civilised people, have become accustomed to having electricity all day every day. Neither wind nor solar will ever satisfy that expectation, particularly as more people are forced to have electricity powered heat pumps and electricity charged vehicles."

No but a combination of wind, solar, tidal, wave, biogas, in conjunction with storage solutions will do the job.

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Renewable network will source power from what exactly, on those cold windless nights?

Wind, solar, hydro, tidal and nuclear will all play their part in the future (storage is key, not the means of creating the energy)"

Sorry yes this chap already answered.

South East

Even as we banter away, the electricity demand is increasing as the evening progresses, wind contributing just 5%, solar 0%, without gas and coal, the lights go out.

South East

Sensible, no?

Wind, solar, hydro, tidal and nuclear will all play their part in the future (storage is key, not the means of creating the energy)

Sorry yes this chap already answered."

Name one viable means of storage.

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Name one viable means of storage."

Pumped storage.

South East

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage."

Physics is obviously not your forte. Pumped hydro producing 5% atm. Where do you seriously imagine we are going to build 20 times as many high level lakes?

Sensible, no?

Name one viable means of storage."

Maybe you could research ‘storage of renewable energy’ or suchlike, and have a look. It’s quite an interesting topic. I figured that industrial sized batteries were the answer, turns out I was wrong - at least in the long term I will be

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Physics is obviously not your forte. Pumped hydro producing 5% atm. Where do you seriously imagine we are going to build 20 times as many high level lakes? "

I'm not a geologist. You asked for a viable means of storage. I gave you one. Where we have one running in Wales and one is proposed in Coire Glas Scotland.

What's your proposal to combat climate change and to remove our reliance on ever increasingly expensive fossil fuels?

South East

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Physics is obviously not your forte. Pumped hydro producing 5% atm. Where do you seriously imagine we are going to build 20 times as many high level lakes?

I'm not a geologist. You asked for a viable means of storage. I gave you one. Where we have one running in Wales and one is proposed in Coire Glas Scotland.

What's your proposal to combat climate change and to remove our reliance on ever increasingly expensive fossil fuels?"

Unfortunately, as I have a reasonable grasp of physics, I know that large scale electricity storage is not an option. Luckily I know that the small percentage increase of atmospheric CO2 will have little effect on the climate. The climate has and will vary, just as it has for many millions of years, largely in the absence of mankind.

South East

Wind down to 4% now.

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

What's your proposal to combat climate change and to remove our reliance on ever increasingly expensive fossil fuels?

Unfortunately, as I have a reasonable grasp of physics, I know that large scale electricity storage is not an option. Luckily I know that the small percentage increase of atmospheric CO2 will have little effect on the climate. The climate has and will vary, just as it has for many millions of years, largely in the absence of mankind."

Ah you're an anti-sciencer!

No further questions.

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Unfortunately, as I have a reasonable grasp of physics, I know that large scale electricity storage is not an option. Luckily I know that the small percentage increase of atmospheric CO2 will have little effect on the climate. The climate has and will vary, just as it has for many millions of years, largely in the absence of mankind."

You say ‘ know that the small percentage increase of atmospheric CO2 will have little effect on the climate’ - that’s a statement of fact. You’re not ambiguous.

Why are you right and the majority of climate scientists wrong?

Terra Firma

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Unfortunately, as I have a reasonable grasp of physics, I know that large scale electricity storage is not an option. Luckily I know that the small percentage increase of atmospheric CO2 will have little effect on the climate. The climate has and will vary, just as it has for many millions of years, largely in the absence of mankind.

No further questions. "

Bingo! Full house....

Anti science Nobody is claiming climate change isn't real, people are saying the reality of the situation is renewables can't keep the lights on..

Now the hard bit for you to swallow, you are working on rules, models and math that was created recently in what we know today, going forward we will discover better ways of creating and storing energy than we have now, but until then we will be still using fossil fuels.

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

Anti science Nobody is claiming climate change isn't real, people are saying the reality of the situation is renewables can't keep the lights on..

Now the hard bit for you to swallow, you are working on rules, models and math that was created recently in what we know today, going forward we will discover better ways of creating and storing energy than we have now, but until then we will be still using fossil fuels."

We’ve literally just had a poster say that climate change isn’t worth worrying about.

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

You say ‘ know that the small percentage increase of atmospheric CO2 will have little effect on the climate’ - that’s a statement of fact. You’re not ambiguous.

Why are you right and the majority of climate scientists wrong?"

Do the scientists say we have to buy a Tesla and a heat pump?

What’s going to happen when people just don’t buy them, and European car companies start going bust? Do you think these net zero targets will survive the end of VW?

Do you think the net zero targets are going to survive the lights going out?

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

Anti science Nobody is claiming climate change isn't real,

"

The person I replied to just did

"

people are saying the reality of the situation is renewables can't keep the lights on.."

Evidence suggests otherwise.

"

Now the hard bit for you to swallow, you are working on rules, models and math that was created recently in what we know today, going forward we will discover better ways of creating and storing energy than we have now, but until then we will be still using fossil fuels."

Yes, so you're arguing that we should, or shouldn't push forward with renewables? Because you're kind of saying both here.

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

What’s going to happen when people just don’t buy them, and European car companies start going bust? Do you think these net zero targets will survive the end of VW?

Do you think the net zero targets are going to survive the lights going out?"

I was asking a valid question of the poster who said that climate change is going to be insignificant.

You could answer it, if you fancy.

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

"

Nope

"

"

You don't need to worry about this fictional scenario.

"

Do you think the net zero targets are going to survive the lights going out?"

Again, you don't need to worry about this because it's not real.

Meanwhile our energy bills continue to rise and we pump more CO2 into the atmosphere.

There are nations (with different demographics/populations etc, admittedly) who operate at 95% renewable energy.

But sure, it’s impossible.

Terra Firma

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

people are saying the reality of the situation is renewables can't keep the lights on..

Now the hard bit for you to swallow, you are working on rules, models and math that was created recently in what we know today, going forward we will discover better ways of creating and storing energy than we have now, but until then we will be still using fossil fuels.

Yes, so you're arguing that we should, or shouldn't push forward with renewables? Because you're kind of saying both here.

"

We will stumble along with half baked renewable solutions for a couple more decades, not really denting the fossil fuels.

At this point I expect major advancements in our understandings, especially in photosynthesis and the ability to produce energy from the sun to near 100% efficiency.

That or something similar will be the game changer, for mankind.

South East

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Why are you right and the majority of climate scientists wrong?"

I am by no means alone. All of the scientists and government officials on the Maldives must agree with me. They are building ever more airport capacity even though they are just 1.5 m above sea level and aviation is one of the greatest sinners according to the climate disaster doctrine. Even the Artic Ice is chugging alone nicely in the interdecile range, contrary to all the ‘expert’ prophesies.

Terra Firma

"There are nations (with different demographics/populations etc, admittedly) who operate at 95% renewable energy.

But sure, it’s impossible. "

This is not a sustainable global way forward, a country that is uniquely placed is not the same as a country like the UK in the north, with limited resources and gigantic consumption

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

people are saying the reality of the situation is renewables can't keep the lights on..

We will stumble along with half baked renewable solutions for a couple more decades, not really denting the fossil fuels.

At this point I expect major advancements in our understandings, especially in photosynthesis and the ability to produce energy from the sun to near 100% efficiency.

That or something similar will be the game changer, for mankind."

Synthetic photosynthesis operates at about 20% efficiency- considerably better than plants, but not near 100%

Now that’s not to say that with R&D it couldn’t improve - but that goes for all renewables. Something you’ve been hesitant to accept previously.

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

I am by no means alone. All of the scientists and government officials on the Maldives must agree with me. They are building ever more airport capacity even though they are just 1.5 m above sea level and aviation is one of the greatest sinners according to the climate disaster doctrine. Even the Artic Ice is chugging alone nicely in the interdecile range, contrary to all the ‘expert’ prophesies."

You’ve not actually answered my question though.

What makes you right and the majority of climate scientists wrong?

South East

"There are nations (with different demographics/populations etc, admittedly) who operate at 95% renewable energy.

But sure, it’s impossible. "

The Dogger Bank produces many times the amount required by the indigenous population, but I, nor anyone else, live there.

Which nations are you referring to?

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Do you think the net zero targets are going to survive the lights going out?

I was asking a valid question of the poster who said that climate change is going to be insignificant.

You could answer it, if you fancy."

I don’t really care one way or other about “the science” as it isn’t really relevant to the practicalities of what’s achievable.

Let’s say the science 100% supports that we are heading for some difficulty, and therefore maybe something should be done.

That’s your position I’m assuming.

But if what you think needs to be done simply isn’t achievable, isn’t affordable, doesn’t work, what actually is going to happen to your goal?

What will happen is what is already happening, it’s starting to fall apart.

Isn’t this all the classic case of making perfect the enemy of the good? Western governments are coming up with crazy targets that simply aren’t going to happen.

The heat pump thing won’t happen. The ICE car ban will get dumped eventually. We will continue to rely for decades and probably longer on fossil fuels. So where does that leave the targets and how much time and money will have been wasted on this massive misallocation of resources that would have been better spent on incremental and gradual improvements that don’t lay waste to people’s lives?

South East

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

I am by no means alone. All of the scientists and government officials on the Maldives must agree with me. They are building ever more airport capacity even though they are just 1.5 m above sea level and aviation is one of the greatest sinners according to the climate disaster doctrine. Even the Artic Ice is chugging alone nicely in the interdecile range, contrary to all the ‘expert’ prophesies.

What makes you right and the majority of climate scientists wrong? "

The visible evidence. All of the catastrophic predictions have been wrong to date. That will continue.

Terra Firma

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

Synthetic photosynthesis operates at about 20% efficiency- considerably better than plants, but not near 100%

Now that’s not to say that with R&D it couldn’t improve - but that goes for all renewables. Something you’ve been hesitant to accept previously."

The advancement will come from photosynthesis, this will answer many world problems, food can be grown in climates it can't grow in now, removing the food limitations of countries in cold and heat extremes.

But harnessing the suns energy at near 100% will create a true solar energy solution

This is not a sustainable global way forward, a country that is uniquely placed is not the same as a country like the UK in the north, with limited resources and gigantic consumption "

Limited resources?

What’s that’s wet stuff that surrounds the entire U.K.? Or the blustery stuff that flows over hills and mountains?

What’s lacking isn’t resources, it’s willpower.

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

What makes you right and the majority of climate scientists wrong?

The visible evidence. All of the catastrophic predictions have been wrong to date. That will continue."

The visible evidence? The visible evidence that backs the climate scientists, you mean?

You’re either ignorant in the topic or trolling. The end result is the same.

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

I am by no means alone. All of the scientists and government officials on the Maldives must agree with me. They are building ever more airport capacity even though they are just 1.5 m above sea level and aviation is one of the greatest sinners according to the climate disaster doctrine. Even the Artic Ice is chugging alone nicely in the interdecile range, contrary to all the ‘expert’ prophesies."

Never debate a science based topic with someone who doesn't know what science is.

That's the take away.

South East

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

Now that’s not to say that with R&D it couldn’t improve - but that goes for all renewables. Something you’ve been hesitant to accept previously.

The advancement will come from photosynthesis, this will answer many world problems, food can be grown in climates it can't grow in now, removing the food limitations of countries in cold and heat extremes.

But harnessing the suns energy at near 100% will create a true solar energy solution "

Ironically the plants on which we rely, thrive when atmospheric CO2 is 1000ppm, more than double current levels.

South East

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

Never debate a science based topic with someone who doesn't know what science is.

That's the take away."

Ah, we’ve reached the limit of your intellect. Sooner than I’d hoped. Enjoy your fossil fuelled evening and long will it continue

Terra Firma

This is not a sustainable global way forward, a country that is uniquely placed is not the same as a country like the UK in the north, with limited resources and gigantic consumption

Limited resources?

What’s that’s wet stuff that surrounds the entire U.K.? Or the blustery stuff that flows over hills and mountains?

What’s lacking isn’t resources, it’s willpower."

Yes, the resources are limited to the amount of use. Solar is not a good source at present and wind is unpredictable.

I have laid out how I see things shaping up, it isn't what you see in the news or on the agenda of climate campaigners, who are shot sighted alarmists.

dudley

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

No further questions.

Bingo! Full house....

But harnessing the suns energy at near 100% will create a true solar energy solution

Ironically the plants on which we rely, thrive when atmospheric CO2 is 1000ppm, more than double current levels."

And that stuff comes out mouths, breathe in breathe out and relax.

golden fields

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

That's the take away.

Ah, we’ve reached the limit of your intellect. Sooner than I’d hoped. Enjoy your fossil fuelled evening and long will it continue "

Someone who understands climate science has lesser intelligence?

Bizarre.

By *astandFeistyCouple 17 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Sensible, no?

Pumped storage.

That's the take away.

Ah, we’ve reached the limit of your intellect. Sooner than I’d hoped. Enjoy your fossil fuelled evening and long will it continue

Someone who understands climate science has lesser intelligence?

Bizarre."

You continually tell us you understand climate science and call out others who see things differently but you never actually tell us what you understand.

Care to educate?

By *oo hotCouple 17 weeks ago

North West

Maybe they are becoming more and more aware at just how dire the country’s finances are? It would be a bit silly to plan to spend money that the current Government is determinedly spunking away as fast as it can.

It sounds sensible to re-evaluate plans and options on a regular basis according to the economic situation.

By *mateur100Man 17 weeks ago

nr faversham

It's just been dropped! I pity the fool who sat in front of Kay Burley this morning and stated the exact opposite. Talk about thrown under the bus

"It's just been dropped! I pity the fool who sat in front of Kay Burley this morning and stated the exact opposite. Talk about thrown under the bus "
m

Full story will be out together - I expect the 28bn figure will be erased, whilst the green ‘theme’ ultimately remains in place.

Story is that Labour want to be seen as fiscally responsible in the face of potentially hostile/cynical media.

dudley

"It's just been dropped! I pity the fool who sat in front of Kay Burley this morning and stated the exact opposite. Talk about thrown under the bus m

Full story will be out together - I expect the 28bn figure will be erased, whilst the green ‘theme’ ultimately remains in place.

Story is that Labour want to be seen as fiscally responsible in the face of potentially hostile/cynical media."

A stack of £50 notes 20 km high is a bit to much for the chap to commit. Bless.

"It's just been dropped! I pity the fool who sat in front of Kay Burley this morning and stated the exact opposite. Talk about thrown under the bus m

Story is that Labour want to be seen as fiscally responsible in the face of potentially hostile/cynical media."

So what’s happening with the “green energy by 2030 pledge now? Is that history too?

Looks like Labour are yesterday’s men before they’ve even got into office.

Story is that Labour want to be seen as fiscally responsible in the face of potentially hostile/cynical media.

So what’s happening with the “green energy by 2030 pledge now? Is that history too?

Looks like Labour are yesterday’s men before they’ve even got into office."

We’ll find out tomorrow, won’t we? They’re still winning the election this year regardless.

According to sources, the Tories had planned an attack on the 28bn figure today, but Sunak’s little faux-par fucked that off into a hat

By *eroy1000Man 17 weeks ago

milton keynes

"It's just been dropped! I pity the fool who sat in front of Kay Burley this morning and stated the exact opposite. Talk about thrown under the bus "

Some are speculating that this policy has been the subject of much disagreement in the shadow cabinet and does now look as those opposed to it have got their way. As far as I know the rest of the green policy remains but the part dropped today was a flag ship one for well over a year

By *heffielderCouple 17 weeks ago

sheffield

And it's gone...

By *amantMan 17 weeks ago

Alnmouth

The cost of borrowing has increased four-fold since the policy was announced in 2021. Labour's issue was not rowing back from that in the face of increased cost but in giving it a number in the first place. The policy was announced in 2021, they had no idea what was coming but should've had the foresight to know these things can fluctuate. A snap election was never on the cards so was an election always going to be a few years away. Quite why anyone thought it was a good idea to bang on about the cost, as opposed to its benefits, is anyone's guess. But it was a mistake, whether it'll affect the outcome of the election is another matter. The personal polling difference between Starmer and Sunak is greater than it was between Corbyn and Johnson. It does Labour no favours. I doubt a Labour lead of 20%+ will hold into an election but they'll manage a majority because Sunak goes down like a bucket of cold sick. Starmer doesn't need to be popular, just less unpopular than his opponent. Mistakes like these, however, will deprive Labour of an historic victory. Though maybe that's for the best, it's quite unhealthy to have a governing party to have a huge majority.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 17 weeks ago

in Lancashire

They all do it, remember spinning Boris and roundabout Truss

in Lancashire

"Its my civil duty to tell you guys what to expect from Labour if they were to be in Government and it won't be sunshine and rainbows"

Na mate you can keep your advice Ty..

But it's good to see the youngsters embracing a social responsibility..

So other than dropping the 28bn figure, we are none the wiser. And since the 28bn was never broken down into its component spending, we don’t know the impact.

Labour fumbling the grenade

Terra Firma

"So other than dropping the 28bn figure, we are none the wiser. And since the 28bn was never broken down into its component spending, we don’t know the impact.

Labour fumbling the grenade "

I fear this will be a regular occurrence once in power. They have been allowed to get away with boastful claims with no substance, but as that clock is ticking down to the GE they are finding out they need to start to provide some detail that can be scrutinised.

I don't think they have much to offer, but they don't need much to take office.

South West London

"Its my civil duty to tell you guys what to expect from Labour if they were to be in Government and it won't be sunshine and rainbows

But it's good to see the youngsters embracing a social responsibility.. "

I say what I want even if you dont like it

in Lancashire

"Its my civil duty to tell you guys what to expect from Labour if they were to be in Government and it won't be sunshine and rainbows

But it's good to see the youngsters embracing a social responsibility.. I say what I want even if you dont like it"

Well done..

milton keynes

"So other than dropping the 28bn figure, we are none the wiser. And since the 28bn was never broken down into its component spending, we don’t know the impact.

I fear this will be a regular occurrence once in power. They have been allowed to get away with boastful claims with no substance, but as that clock is ticking down to the GE they are finding out they need to start to provide some detail that can be scrutinised.

I don't think they have much to offer, but they don't need much to take office."

What I find more surprising is that SKS used the 28 billion figure just this week in an interview. At least the others in his team saw fit to not mention the figure even when repeatedly asked. The effect on the GE will be minimal, if anything but maybe they will learn that now is the time to put your policies forward and they need to be able to withstand scrutiny

Terra Firma

I don't think they have much to offer, but they don't need much to take office.

What I find more surprising is that SKS used the 28 billion figure just this week in an interview. At least the others in his team saw fit to not mention the figure even when repeatedly asked. The effect on the GE will be minimal, if anything but maybe they will learn that now is the time to put your policies forward and they need to be able to withstand scrutiny"

nearby

Now he is saying £15bn a year

No experience of business, handling or budgeting large sums of money

Arbitrarily halves it. No explanation of what parts of the expenditure will be cut or deffered. Straw man.

golden fields

"Now he is saying £15bn a year

Arbitrarily halves it. No explanation of what parts of the expenditure will be cut or deffered. Straw man. "

Presumably it's to attract the 'climate science isn't real' types. But I doubt it will work.

milton keynes

Arbitrarily halves it. No explanation of what parts of the expenditure will be cut or deffered. Straw man. "

The other day they were saying the home insulation plan was still to go ahead but apparently there is disagreement on how much that will cost already.

nearby

Arbitrarily halves it. No explanation of what parts of the expenditure will be cut or deffered. Straw man.

The other day they were saying the home insulation plan was still to go ahead but apparently there is disagreement on how much that will cost already. "

Like the tories not a clue on what things cost or should cost. Starmer and Reeves have run only their expenses accounts, not these enormous budgets, totally above their ability

Why have labour not got Dr Miatta Fahnbulleh as shadow chancellor.

The other day they were saying the home insulation plan was still to go ahead but apparently there is disagreement on how much that will cost already.

Like the tories not a clue on what things cost or should cost. Starmer and Reeves have run only their expenses accounts, not these enormous budgets, totally above their ability

Why have labour not got Dr Miatta Fahnbulleh as shadow chancellor. "

I heard somewhere that Reeves thought that people’s average weekly shopping bill had gone up £100 under this government.

She either has a very large shopping bill or hasn’t got a clue.

I heard somewhere that Reeves thought that people’s average weekly shopping bill had gone up £100 under this government.

She either has a very large shopping bill or hasn’t got a clue."

It has gone up consider though, right?

Or do you deny that as well?

She either has a very large shopping bill or hasn’t got a clue.

It has gone up consider though, right?

Or do you deny that as well? "

Am I denying that it has gone up £100? Yes I think so.

Do you think it has?

milton keynes

Why have labour not got Dr Miatta Fahnbulleh as shadow chancellor. "

Welcome to our future leaders, much the same as our current leaders.

nearby

Just watched his interview with Chris mason

When asked why he has u turned

“Well the tories have crashed the economy and maxed out the credit card”

Did not answer the question. When labour fail on every promise they will just state the above.

Miliband saying that Labour’s climate plan is “world leading”.

Whenever a British politician uses the words “world leading” it’s a dead cert that it’s the biggest pile of dog poo known to man.

By *enSiskoMan 17 weeks ago

Cestus 3

We all know what is coming, "HO dear they have left no money, im afraid there will be hard choices to make" just history repeating itself over again just a different author.

I wonder if Starmmer lost his seat what would happen, wes streeting is on the verge of losing his, I read.

By *astandFeistyCouple 17 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"We all know what is coming, "HO dear they have left no money, im afraid there will be hard choices to make" just history repeating itself over again just a different author.

I wonder if Starmmer lost his seat what would happen, wes streeting is on the verge of losing his, I read."

There's no way Starmer can lose his seat. I mean, it's possible but highly unlikely.

nearby

"Miliband saying that Labour’s climate plan is “world leading”.

Whenever a British politician uses the words “world leading” it’s a dead cert that it’s the biggest pile of dog poo known to man."

Philip Hammond was the most honest about climate change

“The UK cannot afford the one trillion pound cost of climate change”

» Add a new message to this topic