FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > UK predicts 50% spike in strokes by 2035

UK predicts 50% spike in strokes by 2035

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 2 weeks ago

nearby

The number of people in the UK experiencing a stroke will increase more than 50% to 151,000 (414 a day) a year by 2035, costing the NHS and the economy £75bn annually in healthcare and lost productivity, according to the Stroke Association

Worsening physical health, rising alcohol consumption and low exercise levels among an ageing population as well as a failure by ministers and the health service to do more to prevent ill health are blamed for the predicted spike in strokes the association claims.

“”If the next government fails to tackle prevention, treatment and recovery at the root, then stroke will become the most avoidable burden on the NHS,” says the Stroke Association

Is restricting alcohol and compulsory exercise the answer to relieve the NHS of the ever increasing burden society has created for itself.

And what can the government do to address access to better quality affordable food.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ravelmanxxxMan 2 weeks ago

Durham

"The number of people in the UK experiencing a stroke will increase more than 50% to 151,000 (414 a day) a year by 2035, costing the NHS and the economy £75bn annually in healthcare and lost productivity, according to the Stroke Association

Worsening physical health, rising alcohol consumption and low exercise levels among an ageing population as well as a failure by ministers and the health service to do more to prevent ill health are blamed for the predicted spike in strokes the association claims.

“”If the next government fails to tackle prevention, treatment and recovery at the root, then stroke will become the most avoidable burden on the NHS,” says the Stroke Association

Is restricting alcohol and compulsory exercise the answer to relieve the NHS of the ever increasing burden society has created for itself.

And what can the government do to address access to better quality affordable food.

"

How’s about people taking responsibility for their actions? Like admitting they are fat and not “curvy” and stop shoving food down their throats??

Just a thought.

By *idnight RamblerMan 2 weeks ago

Pershore

I believe alcohol consumption in UK is declining, albeit not by much. For sure obesity and lack of exercise are troubling trends. But increased longevity will increase the incidence of strokes too - in the end, we have to die of something!

Personally, I think there should be more effort put into public health policies. The trouble is, any government initiatives are met with howls of "Nanny State". They can't win.

By *irkby coupleCouple 2 weeks ago

Kirkby

Every visit to the NHS costs money.

I would like to see the cost to the NHS because people need treatment while trying to keep fit and healthy.

I want to see a headline, Sports Injuries Cost NHS £XXXm Per Year!

By *melie LALWoman 2 weeks ago

Peterborough

What's the prospective increase in cardiac issues? Lifestyle choices (smoking and obesity increase, exercise decrease) will also have a bearing. Oddly enough, there'll be an increase in all weight categories (that'll be the increase in triglycerides - IE fat IN the organs.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"Every visit to the NHS costs money.

I would like to see the cost to the NHS because people need treatment while trying to keep fit and healthy.

I want to see a headline, Sports Injuries Cost NHS £XXXm Per Year!"

I spent more time in A&E when I used to time trial back in my 20's. Crashes, getting knocked off the bike by an idiot car driver, yet since I gave up cycling and embraced fat bastard lifestyle, I haven't been to A&E once. Accept when I broke my little toe, when out walking the dog.

Exercise is bad for you....

By *erry bull1Man 2 weeks ago

doncaster

They predict such things but are not investing money on the nhs and social care , to busy spending it on migrants , Hotels etc

By *oxychick35Couple 2 weeks ago

thornaby

Covid vaccine maybe ?

» Add a new message to this topic