FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Mp s salary

Mp s salary

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rsbrooksandjohn OP   Couple  over a year ago

Swansea

Does anyone else agree that all uk mp's , welsh assembly, scotish and irish parliment members and all local councilors should have their salaries frozen or turned into a basic salary (expences to be considered as part of the job). As whenever you read about them they are always claiming that this or that needs to be cut to safe money but never their pay. Its alays the lower workers or public services that are expected to make the sacrifice.

Think it is time they put their money where their mouths are ?

Also i think the premiership could start a charity where the players give a weeks salary a year to a good cause jn return for all the adoration they get from their fans . Not sure if some already do this but when you hear that some are earning £1000's a minite and pay next to no tax.

All replies on a post card to your local mp. Lets see how they like having their pockets emptied

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

I think MPs salaries are fine, their expenses should be allowed, but this should come with clear guidance and rules should be strictly enforced. However, it should be their only paid employment, they shouldn't also be allowed additional jobs, newspaper columns, after dinner speeches etc.

County, district, borough and UA councillors do not get paid enough to live on, and that is a barrier to ordinary people becoming a councillor. I would therefore increase their salaries.

Swansea

Take it your in local government lol

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"Does anyone else agree that all uk mp's , welsh assembly, scotish and irish parliment members and all local councilors should have their salaries frozen or turned into a basic salary (expences to be considered as part of the job). As whenever you read about them they are always claiming that this or that needs to be cut to safe money but never their pay. Its alays the lower workers or public services that are expected to make the sacrifice.

Also i think the premiership could start a charity where the players give a weeks salary a year to a good cause jn return for all the adoration they get from their fans . Not sure if some already do this but when you hear that some are earning £1000's a minite and pay next to no tax.

All replies on a post card to your local mp. Lets see how they like having their pockets emptied"

Why not! I mean if we pay them even less money than we do now we're bound to get a better quality of candidates coming forward to do the job, aren't we?

More populist, ill thought-out solutions are not what this country needs right now.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"Does anyone else agree that all uk mp's , welsh assembly, scotish and irish parliment members and all local councilors should have their salaries frozen or turned into a basic salary (expences to be considered as part of the job). As whenever you read about them they are always claiming that this or that needs to be cut to safe money but never their pay. Its alays the lower workers or public services that are expected to make the sacrifice.

All replies on a post card to your local mp. Lets see how they like having their pockets emptied"

Theyre hardly overpaid at the moment. Cutting their salaries will mean we get even more useless idiots

By *roticaCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

It is not just about salaries. In business you look at efficiency effectiveness and economy. In my opinion the number of MP's needs to be reduced significantly and the running of parliament totally streamlined. I visited Parliament and could not believe how inefficient the whole place was. They even paid someone to stand and open the door. And for MP voting they filtered into 2 rooms to be counted. No business would survive with such inefficiencies.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Freeze their pay for 7 yrs, then give them 1%. Then tell them everyday they are inefficient abd do a rubbish job. Up the retiring age, take away the perks, ensure some have to worry about paying the bills each month.

Cambridge

"Take it your in local government lol"

No, I couldn't afford to be.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have always believed they are in the service of the country and they volunteered to do so.

There pay should be linked to what people are paid by the state.

If nurses get 1 % then that should be good enough for mps.

You need a degree to nurse but not an mp .

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

It would be nice if all MP’s were only allowed one job. Any income from any other sources should, e.g. public speaking, books, ‘consultancy’ should be paid directly to the Inland Revenue.

In Industry if you work for a company, you usually are not allowed to work for anyone else. If you have other income, it should be from a blind trust. In addition, you should not be able to profit from your contacts for 5 years after you stop being an MP. (Commercial & Union!)

These are just top of my head examples to reduce the amount of sleaze. My Xmas wishes, amongst better stuff!

"

In Industry if you work for a company, you usually are not allowed to work for anyone else. "

Well, no.

Lots of people hold multiple jobs, and there's the whole awful mess of the "gig economy" as well.

I get the point, but the line should probably be less "you can't work two jobs" and more "no conflict of interest".

"I think MPs salaries are fine, their expenses should be allowed, but this should come with clear guidance and rules should be strictly enforced. However, it should be their only paid employment, they shouldn't also be allowed additional jobs, newspaper columns, after dinner speeches etc.

County, district, borough and UA councillors do not get paid enough to live on, and that is a barrier to ordinary people becoming a councillor. I would therefore increase their salaries. "

Blimey... We concur

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think MPs salaries should have similar limitations to the majority of public sector staff.

Any capital profit accruing from a second home paid for by public expenses should be owned by the public purse. I'd prefer a middle range hotel type managed operation that is a government expense instead, probably located in zone 2, not the west end zone 1.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"I think MPs salaries should have similar limitations to the majority of public sector staff.

Any capital profit accruing from a second home paid for by public expenses should be owned by the public purse. I'd prefer a middle range hotel type managed operation that is a government expense instead, probably located in zone 2, not the west end zone 1.

"

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"

In Industry if you work for a company, you usually are not allowed to work for anyone else.

Well, no.

Lots of people hold multiple jobs, and there's the whole awful mess of the "gig economy" as well.

I get the point, but the line should probably be less "you can't work two jobs" and more "no conflict of interest". "

I think we should be much stricter. In my career I have had to be ethical and not abuse client confidentiality. MPs should be the same and the penalty should be fines & imprisonment for breakung it. we already have a conflict of interest clause, but they all abuse it - Labour Unions and Commercial, Conservatives - Commercial and Donor.

By *mwstaffsMan  over a year ago

brownhills

I think the hotel thing is a good idea with single apartments and some family rooms for use when they want the family to visit , also reduce the number of mps , ban them from going into an industry that they were a minister of unless they were in it before they became an mp . I would also raise age to 35 if normal job or 40 if job before was political in nature .

House of lords would be reduced to amount of offices available and places given out according to the previous election result as pr, and then operate a squash league kind of thing where the ones who attend the least get kicked out to bottom of list and the next on list replace them

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I think MPs salaries are fine, their expenses should be allowed, but this should come with clear guidance and rules should be strictly enforced. However, it should be their only paid employment, they shouldn't also be allowed additional jobs, newspaper columns, after dinner speeches etc.

County, district, borough and UA councillors do not get paid enough to live on, and that is a barrier to ordinary people becoming a councillor. I would therefore increase their salaries. "

Pay them all less especially town hall officials.Government ministers should earn more maybe but in general MP's I believe are overpaid

Cambridge

County, district, borough and UA councillors do not get paid enough to live on, and that is a barrier to ordinary people becoming a councillor. I would therefore increase their salaries. Pay them all less especially town hall officials.Government ministers should earn more maybe but in general MP's I believe are overpaid"

District councillors get about £9k a year and county councillors get around £14k. You think that is too much?

County, district, borough and UA councillors do not get paid enough to live on, and that is a barrier to ordinary people becoming a councillor. I would therefore increase their salaries. Pay them all less especially town hall officials.Government ministers should earn more maybe but in general MP's I believe are overpaid

District councillors get about £9k a year and county councillors get around £14k. You think that is too much? "

These are starting 'allowances'. The longer serving councillors are then get put on committees.

Add on the allowances for every committee they sit on, both internal and external, being a member of the council cabinet etc. and it all adds up and some do extremely well out of it.

Plus they get 'employer' pension contributions.

I think they get enough.

Cambridge

County, district, borough and UA councillors do not get paid enough to live on, and that is a barrier to ordinary people becoming a councillor. I would therefore increase their salaries. Pay them all less especially town hall officials.Government ministers should earn more maybe but in general MP's I believe are overpaid

District councillors get about £9k a year and county councillors get around £14k. You think that is too much?

These are starting 'allowances'. The longer serving councillors are then get put on committees.

Add on the allowances for every committee they sit on, both internal and external, being a member of the council cabinet etc. and it all adds up and some do extremely well out of it.

I think they get enough."

Could you afford to give up your job and live on £9k a year?

I think they get enough.

Could you afford to give up your job and live on £9k a year?"

Why do you need to give up your job to be a councillor?

Most of the councillors I know do it as well as having a job or are retired (usually ex local govt, police or fire service) so this is a top up and keeps them busy.

There are enough overpaid useless career politicians at Westminster without creating more in every county & town hall.

Cambridge

I think they get enough.

Most of the councillors I know do it as well as having a job or are retired (usually ex local govt, police or fire service) so this is a top up and keeps them busy.

There are enough overpaid useless career politicians at Westminster without creating more in every county & town hall.

"

How do you expect politics to be representative if they are retired? And how do you expect people to be fully engaged in their job if they are only doing it part time, on the side?

I think they get enough.

How do you expect politics to be representative if they are retired? And how do you expect people to be fully engaged in their job if they are only doing it part time, on the side?"

Because it isn't a full time occupation. That is what council officers are there for.

What is wrong with being retired? The representation is usually party based so age doesn't come in to it.

Are you proposing there has to be age quotas for candidates?

Cambridge

I think they get enough.

How do you expect politics to be representative if they are retired? And how do you expect people to be fully engaged in their job if they are only doing it part time, on the side?

Because it isn't a full time occupation. That is what council officers are there for.

What is wrong with being retired? The representation is usually party based so age doesn't come in to it.

Are you proposing there has to be age quotas for candidates?"

Cambridgeshire County Council has a budget of £563m a year. Elected officials should be making sure that is correctly spent on a full time basis.

No I'm not suggesting quotas, but having just retired people as councillors is not representative.

I think they get enough.

Cambridgeshire County Council has a budget of £563m a year. Elected officials should be making sure that is correctly spent on a full time basis.

No I'm not suggesting quotas, but having just retired people as councillors is not representative. "

Who said they're all retired? Many councillors have jobs (full or part time).

According to https://data.gov.uk/dataset/cambridgeshire-county-council-senior-salaries, the Chief Executive of Cambridge County Council is on £195,000-£199,999.

He/she (no apologies if incumbent is gender fluid) should be more than capable of making sure that £563m is correctly spent.

Cambridge

I think they get enough.

No I'm not suggesting quotas, but having just retired people as councillors is not representative.

Who said they're all retired? Many councillors have jobs (full or part time).

According to https://data.gov.uk/dataset/cambridgeshire-county-council-senior-salaries, the Chief Executive of Cambridge County Council is on £195,000-£199,999.

He/she (no apologies if incumbent is gender fluid) should be more than capable of making sure that £563m is correctly spent.

"

So why have a democracy when we have civil servants?

Swansea

I think if mp's weren t so highly paid

And councilors were paid expences only we would end up with people doing the job because they want too not beause its a nice little earner. So as previously stated it would still be open to people who work or are retired.

But we wouldn t have half as many hangers on and old guard running the country. I also think that mp's salary should be paid in preportion to they attendance in westminster. Ie when you see parliment on tv most of the time its 3/4 empty so they should maybe have a clocking in machine to confirm how often they actually attend

Cambridge

"I think if mp's weren t so highly paid

And councilors were paid expences only we would end up with people doing the job because they want too not beause its a nice little earner. So as previously stated it would still be open to people who work or are retired.

But we wouldn t have half as many hangers on and old guard running the country. I also think that mp's salary should be paid in preportion to they attendance in westminster. Ie when you see parliment on tv most of the time its 3/4 empty so they should maybe have a clocking in machine to confirm how often they actually attend"

It's hardly going to make it better by only being represented by those too old to work, or so rich that they don't need to work.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I think they get enough."

It is not a full time jobs and most do have full time jobs so it a very nice extra as most of them are useless as all councils are badly run some worse than others

Swansea

But we wouldn t have half as many hangers on and old guard running the country. I also think that mp's salary should be paid in preportion to they attendance in westminster. Ie when you see parliment on tv most of the time its 3/4 empty so they should maybe have a clocking in machine to confirm how often they actually attend

It's hardly going to make it better by only being represented by those too old to work, or so rich that they don't need to work. "

Sorry what i was getting at is that the jobs would still be open to all those people who would want to do it but they wouldn t be making a living from it.

Hence we may get people who want to help others and do the role more efficiently rather than the ones who do it to line their pockets. Also the political parties should only be allowed to select

Candidates who live in the area and not just joe bloggs because they are the next high flyer and he/she needs a helping hand

Widnes

It's hardly going to make it better by only being represented by those too old to work, or so rich that they don't need to work.

Sorry what i was getting at is that the jobs would still be open to all those people who would want to do it but they wouldn t be making a living from it.

Hence we may get people who want to help others and do the role more efficiently rather than the ones who do it to line their pockets. Also the political parties should only be allowed to select

Candidates who live in the area and not just joe bloggs because they are the next high flyer and he/she needs a helping hand "

Candidates currently have live in the locality that is covered by the chamber they are standing for election to.

And why you think people shouldn't be paid a fair amount for working for the good of the community simply staggers belief.

Cambridge

Candidates who live in the area and not just joe bloggs because they are the next high flyer and he/she needs a helping hand "

You don't have to be specific or identifiable, but what sector do you work in?

Do you think if we made medicine unpaid, that we would get people who really wanted to do it, rather than people who just wanted to line their pockets?

How about the military, should they all be unpaid and part time? Should we just hand over a rifle/submarine/fighter jet to those who really want to fight, rather than those people who just want to line their pockets?

Swansea

People should be paid a fair amount for

Doing a job. But with councilors the majority of the work is done by the council workers not the councilors so why have them . As a previous person commented a coucil with a multy million pound budget pays a cheif executive to oversea how it is spend and he/she has people under them who do the same job. Seems we have too many pen pushers. Like the old saying " too many chiefs and not enough injuns". Think how much money could be saved to spend on worthy causes ie health and elderly care with all that wasted money.

And as someone said earlier if only 1% rise is all that is offered the nhs police and civil service workers

Why should mp 's get more

As i think 1% of their salary is a lot more than 1% of say a nurses salary

Cambridge

"People should be paid a fair amount for

Doing a job. But with councilors the majority of the work is done by the council workers not the councilors so why have them . As a previous person commented a coucil with a multy million pound budget pays a cheif executive to oversea how it is spend and he/she has people under them who do the same job. Seems we have too many pen pushers. Like the old saying " too many chiefs and not enough injuns". Think how much money could be saved to spend on worthy causes ie health and elderly care with all that wasted money.

And as someone said earlier if only 1% rise is all that is offered the nhs police and civil service workers

As i think 1% of their salary is a lot more than 1% of say a nurses salary "

So you are advocating replacing democracy with a technocracy?

Swansea

In reply to _lcc i work for a industrial safety suply firm.

As for your comment about medicine They are specially trained individuals who have quite often spent their own or families funds to gain qualification to be able to follow that career . So i think they deserve everything they are paid and more . But as a previous commenter said you dont need any qulifications to be an mp or councilor

For mp just finacial backing and the backing of an outdated institution called fhe political partys.

As for military i think we treat our service men like crap . We expect them to be willing to sacrifice themselves in the name of freedom and defence of the relm but when they stop being usefull or are injured we just toss most of them to one side and try to ignor them

Cambridge

"In reply to _lcc i work for a industrial safety suply firm.

As for your comment about medicine They are specially trained individuals who have quite often spent their own or families funds to gain qualification to be able to follow that career . So i think they deserve everything they are paid and more . But as a previous commenter said you dont need any qulifications to be an mp or councilor

For mp just finacial backing and the backing of an outdated institution called fhe political partys.

As for military i think we treat our service men like crap . We expect them to be willing to sacrifice themselves in the name of freedom and defence of the relm but when they stop being usefull or are injured we just toss most of them to one side and try to ignor them "

Would you be more dedicated and more efficient in the industrial safety supply field if you were unpaid?

Widnes

As i think 1% of their salary is a lot more than 1% of say a nurses salary "

You've actually got that completely the wrong way round. The, unelected, council CEO does not have oversight over how the money is spent. It's the elected councilors that have the oversight in how and where the money is spent.

Swansea

Technocracy

A system of governance where decision-makers are selected on the basis of their expertise in their areas of responsibility, particularly scientific knowledge. This system explicitly contrasts with the notion that elected representatives should be the primary decision-makers in government,[1] though it does not necessarily imply eliminating elected representatives. Leadership skills for decision-makers are selected on the basis of specialized knowledge and performance, rather than political affiliations or parliamentary skills.

This sounds like the country would be run by the mp's advisors ??? Which to a certain extent it is already .

Mp's get paid to use information gained from experts who are in turn paid by the goverment for giving that information so all that technocracy would do is the remove the mp's ???

Swansea

As i think 1% of their salary is a lot more than 1% of say a nurses salary

You've actually got that completely the wrong way round. The, unelected, council CEO does not have oversight over how the money is spent. It's the elected councilors that have the oversight in how and where the money is spent."

So in which case why have a council ceo ?

Cambridge

"Technocracy

A system of governance where decision-makers are selected on the basis of their expertise in their areas of responsibility, particularly scientific knowledge. This system explicitly contrasts with the notion that elected representatives should be the primary decision-makers in government,[1] though it does not necessarily imply eliminating elected representatives. Leadership skills for decision-makers are selected on the basis of specialized knowledge and performance, rather than political affiliations or parliamentary skills.

This sounds like the country would be run by the mp's advisors ??? Which to a certain extent it is already .

Mp's get paid to use information gained from experts who are in turn paid by the goverment for giving that information so all that technocracy would do is the remove the mp's ???

"

So are you advocating for a technocracy to replace our democracy?

Swansea

As for military i think we treat our service men like crap . We expect them to be willing to sacrifice themselves in the name of freedom and defence of the relm but when they stop being usefull or are injured we just toss most of them to one side and try to ignor them

Would you be more dedicated and more efficient in the industrial safety supply field if you were unpaid?"

Obviously not because it is my only source of income for my family i do it to the best of my ability and take an interest in the firm i work for to ensure it is succesfull as my living relies on it.

Hence if councilors only got expences then they would be doing it because the want to and to benifit the majority not just themselves. The majority of councilors have other jobs or are retired and do not rely on the money to survive

Swansea

Would technocracy be such a bad thing

If you go by the definition of the word

Cambridge

"Would technocracy be such a bad thing

If you go by the definition of the word "

I'm not taking a stand on if it's good or bad, I'm asking if that's what you are proposing.

Cambridge

Would you be more dedicated and more efficient in the industrial safety supply field if you were unpaid?

Obviously not because it is my only source of income for my family i do it to the best of my ability and take an interest in the firm i work for to ensure it is succesfull as my living relies on it.

Hence if councilors only got expences then they would be doing it because the want to and to benifit the majority not just themselves. The majority of councilors have other jobs or are retired and do not rely on the money to survive"

So you wouldn't be more efficient or dedicated if you were unpaid, but you think that other people would be if they were unpaid. That makes no sense it all.

Also, imagine if you had another career, and worked in the industrial safety supply field in your spare time. Do you think you would be as knowledgeable, effective and basically as good as someone who did it full time and in a professional capacity? Put bluntly, who do you think are better in most professions, amateurs or professionals?

Swansea

"Would technocracy be such a bad thing

If you go by the definition of the word

I'm not taking a stand on if it's good or bad, I'm asking if that's what you are proposing. "

Going by the definition of the word yes as we would still have democracy as there is still and element of electural control so the voting public would still have a say in how would run the country /coumcil.

I think our political institute is in need of a major overhaul. And the house of lords should be shut down as it seems to resemble a private gentlemens club open only to the privaliged few - and those few are so far removed from reality that i d say most dont even know we are in 2017

Swansea

Hence if councilors only got expences then they would be doing it because the want to and to benifit the majority not just themselves. The majority of councilors have other jobs or are retired and do not rely on the money to survive

So you wouldn't be more efficient or dedicated if you were unpaid, but you think that other people would be if they were unpaid. That makes no sense it all.

Also, imagine if you had another career, and worked in the industrial safety supply field in your spare time. Do you think you would be as knowledgeable, effective and basically as good as someone who did it full time and in a professional capacity? Put bluntly, who do you think are better in most professions, amateurs or professionals? "

Tha answer to that is simple professionals but as i have no qualification in industrial safety as it makes no difference to my specific job. but as i and others have said earlier you dont need any qulifications to be a "professional" MP unlike a nurse or surgeon laywer dentist policeman firefighter or any other career that requires a qualification and are classed as professionals. In some constituancies you could put forward a monkey as a political candidate and if it belonged to the right political party it would get voted in

Technocracy is the future.Singapore and Switzerland are both democratic and technocratic.China is very technocratic wth all the politburo having degrees in engineering and science.These are far superior politicians than the old school tie Etonian years we get here.Born to rule the plebs.

» Add a new message to this topic