FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > BREXIT and Tax Avoidance

BREXIT and Tax Avoidance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *nleashedCraken OP   Man  over a year ago

Widnes

A lot of comments on here and in other places have been claiming that this whole BREXIT malarkey is just a massive Tax Avoidance Scheme. I've never really brought in to that and it seems like the facts don't actually support that scenario either.

It's important when tackling people who have contradictory points of view to your own that you try to understand their motives and not ascribed to then motives that they don't actually have.

https://fullfact.org/online/brexit-not-concealing-offshore-accounts/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It's a good conspiracy theory.

It may have motivated some at the top end of the food chain.

But I doubt if the average Joe in Redcar was motivated by how to shield his money from the taxman.

By *eep.Man  over a year ago

Just a background character

Increased deregulation? defo not a conspiracy theory more an obvious plan!

Widnes

"Increased deregulation? defo not a conspiracy theory more an obvious plan!"

I'm not totally convinced by that either. I'm very much in favour of the removal of unnecessary regulation but I'm definitely not in favour of BREXIT. Further John Major was probably one of the biggest deregulators ever and he's clearly not pro-BREXIT.

No, I think we're still missing something.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Deregulation of the financial sector.

The Conservative Party is the political wing of the City of London.

Widnes

"Deregulation of the financial sector.

The Conservative Party is the political wing of the City of London.

"

I won't argue the point today but even if true it doesn't explain it. Don't forget up until 23 Jun 2016 the Conservative Party's official policy was pro-EU. I'm also not convinced that most of the City would prefer to be in a 60 million deregulated home market as opposed to a 550 million lightly regulated home market.

It's still not adding up to me.

By *iltsguy200Man  over a year ago

Warminster

Wasn’t the City of London deregulated in 1986 ???

By *rufinWoman  over a year ago

notts

It's a possible motive ascribed to a very very small (but very very rich) number of fervent Brexiteers pushing for extreme Brexit.

Brexit doesn't make any kind of economic or financial sense for 99.9% of the population. That's why no major political party supported it. Even most politicians are not that rich, or that evil. My personal view is that economic chaos favours asset strippers and the mega rich. Not all the mega rich are evil bastards but all asset strippers surely are. Why would they care about the 99.9%? This is just an opportunity to create mayhem. And in mayhem, there is a lot of money to be made by a few.

I can see, as part of that, a view that it is an opportunity to create a kind of tax haven next to the EU. It's an opportunity for lots of things. A bit like if you get lost in a slum and fall over d*unk while carrying your week's wages- there's an opportunity there for lots of things to happen. Just not any of them pleasant.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's likely to be a small number of people who want more money and power, with less restraint. The particular ways that they want these things may be complex, due to the nature of their affairs and so less easy for us to determine, as they'll have longer term vision in place. The needs and wellbeing of most people won't really figure, except for us to enable their ends. In the meantime,, smoke and mirrors will abound.

» Add a new message to this topic