FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Religion

Religion

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The biggest topic of seperation

When are people going to realise that religion is just a way of seperating people we have that many now that it just goes on and on people killing wont go with a catholic prodestant then comes the coloured or ethnic back ground. Why oh why cant we all just behave like proper human beings. For scotland to much has been brought down to football celtic v rangers this has cost us too much it even goes to which way we vote. And dont say it doesnt because you all know someone that voted due to which football club they supported if your a rangers fan it was queen and country and most voted no. If you are a celtic fan we will vote yes just to piss rangers fans off. I could go on and on about this subject but wont.

Whats your thoughts on religion ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Religion is a personal thing and while for a tiny minority it may be about a football club not everyone is like this. And most religions teach tolerance of your fellow man

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The biggest topic of seperation

When are people going to realise that religion is just a way of seperating people we have that many now that it just goes on and on people killing wont go with a catholic prodestant then comes the coloured or ethnic back ground. Why oh why cant we all just behave like proper human beings. For scotland to much has been brought down to football celtic v rangers this has cost us too much it even goes to which way we vote. And dont say it doesnt because you all know someone that voted due to which football club they supported if your a rangers fan it was queen and country and most voted no. If you are a celtic fan we will vote yes just to piss rangers fans off. I could go on and on about this subject but wont.

Whats your thoughts on religion ?"

My thought on it is let them believe what they want to believe in I'm a atheist ever since my brother died when I was ten due to the c!!! Not as if my opinion would change others

By *rjandmrskCouple  over a year ago

West Dunbartonshire

I am not interested in religion came from a mixed home and I dont know anyone who votes based on religion either. The mind boggles with folk who do that.

Mrs K x

I value my religion. Only place am at totally at peace. Honestly can say if I Didnt have my faith not sure if I'd have coped with everything that has challenged me.

Do restle with between the saint n sinner. Been on here at times. But Iv to dance with the devil then so be it.

I can undrstand everyones oponion on this but lets look at the bigger picture we have terrotists prepared to die in the name of religion so why so many different religions we only had one jesus or creator. I know this is a touchy subject thats why i put it on the forum x

coatbridge

"I can undrstand everyones oponion on this but lets look at the bigger picture we have terrotists prepared to die in the name of religion so why so many different religions we only had one jesus or creator. I know this is a touchy subject thats why i put it on the forum x"
terrorist dont do what they do for their religion they do it from the ramblings of a person/s interpretation of that religion. Not all religions have only one creator or messiah either. Its a complex area but religions dont start wars or genecides thats our own doing

Either way ramblings of someo nes interpretations they do this in the name of religion why not abolish all religion and everyone starts to Believe in yourself and your own abilities if you can do that then what do you need religion for ?

"Either way ramblings of someo nes interpretations they do this in the name of religion why not abolish all religion and everyone starts to Believe in yourself and your own abilities if you can do that then what do you need religion for ?"
right don't want to sound to deep .. But why do we have religion ? Some people believe and believing in faith get them through hard times .. I think your talking about radical movements where people hide behind religion to cause harm .. When it's the radicalism of others that promote killing in the name of (God) people praying on vunarlble people

coatbridge

"Either way ramblings of someo nes interpretations they do this in the name of religion why not abolish all religion and everyone starts to Believe in yourself and your own abilities if you can do that then what do you need religion for ?"
you cant abolish something you believe in. why dont we abolish evolution or why dont we agree to the big brother state as long as there are multiple people on this planet there will be terrotorial arguments religious arguments race arguments and all manner of other conflicts that we make and try to blame on something else (I blame the bogeyman)

By *akedninjaMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

GOD HAS NO RELIGION

If there wasn't a god, there wouldn't be any athiests! Personally I'm a fan of Charles Darwin.

Oh wow! I actually can't believe the words and phrases in this thread!! Seriously, who still uses 'coloured'? And all the other racist undertones. Gadz.

Religion is the same as drugs & money " the cause of all evils ". The church is a legalised peadophile ring

Don't tarnish other people belief n faith. If it brings peace and hope to them .then it Dosnt hurt anyone .

What do most people do in a crisis pray . Even the people who aren't religious.

There's good and evil in every walk of life . Thankfully the good out weights the evil.

I was brought up with religion my mum being a Sunday School teacher and it did me no harm at the time, a lot of good in fact.

The reality is though that is has a bad track record in that over the years it's easily the biggest cause of conflict, suffering and death despite its teachings.

These days it's even worse with the latest fanatics causing mayhem all over the world.

"Don't tarnish other people belief n faith. If it brings peace and hope to them .then it Dosnt hurt anyone .

There's good and evil in every walk of life . Thankfully the good out weights the evil."

I,m not tarnishing peoples beliefs & faith, thats the morons who believe there is a god & their god is holy one, hence my opinion that religion is the cause of evils. What,s a crisis in your opinion? Not getting to lidl or the bingo hall?

By *atex and KinkCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

Having faith is about having faith in yourself and in others around and in the human species you to do the right thing.

Nobody needs a God to have Faith. if you don't need a God then there is no requirement for religion.

"Having faith is about having faith in yourself and in others around and in the human species you to do the right thing.

Nobody needs a God to have Faith. if you don't need a God then there is no requirement for religion."

We dont need faith/religion or a god to bring peace around us. Why do people believe in god as there clearly isnt one. Just remember the catholic church came out apologising recently that members of its flock touched up children. Is this the faith people believe in?????? Religion god faith is all bull

edinburgh

"Having faith is about having faith in yourself and in others around and in the human species you to do the right thing.

Nobody needs a God to have Faith. if you don't need a God then there is no requirement for religion.

We dont need faith/religion or a god to bring peace around us. Why do people believe in god as there clearly isnt one. Just remember the catholic church came out apologising recently that members of its flock touched up children. Is this the faith people believe in?????? Religion god faith is all bull"

I accept everything you say. But I never mentioned faith required religion. That was my point. Everybody needs somebody to rely on. Faith in others.

You have deemed that if I refer to faith, that must mean God. Bollocks to that.. I have faith in my partner, family, friends, its got bollocks all to do with God or religion.

That was the point I was making.

No man is an island!

coatbridge

We dont need faith/religion or a god to bring peace around us. Why do people believe in god as there clearly isnt one. Just remember the catholic church came out apologising recently that members of its flock touched up children. Is this the faith people believe in?????? Religion god faith is all bull"

faith may be enough for you that dosnt mean its enough for all.you may chose that religion is surplus to req that dosnt mean all will lots take comfort in their religion whether its real or not is imaterial to you or I but means the world to them.another classic is all wars and conflicts are because of religion.the only reason for any war is people and their interpretation of a religions teachings.we as people wont take the blame lets blame religion

My personal opinion is that religion is the root of all evil

We dont need faith/religion or a god to bring peace around us. Why do people believe in god as there clearly isnt one. Just remember the catholic church came out apologising recently that members of its flock touched up children. Is this the faith people believe in?????? Religion god faith is all bull

I accept everything you say. But I never mentioned faith required religion. That was my point. Everybody needs somebody to rely on. Faith in others.

You have deemed that if I refer to faith, that must mean God. Bollocks to that.. I have faith in my partner, family, friends, its got bollocks all to do with God or religion.

That was the point I was making.

No man is an island!

Very good points. Me i only believe in myself.

"

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Religion was created by man to exercise some kind of control over the population/community/race.

All present day religions still have a hold over their members whether it's the Vatican, Islam, or whatever.

You are not allowed ed this or that. You can't say this or that without sinning.

Let's try life without pressure or influence, you never know, it might just work

Peter Brady don't insult me. A crisis is when some you love and care about someone and is dying in front of you and you know you can't stop it.

My faith helped me so much to believe there's nothing after death would have been unbearable.

why is there the need to segregate kids in this country because of religion?if we want to stop sectarianism all kids should go to the same school imo

coatbridge

"Religion was created by man to exercise some kind of control over the population/community/race.

All present day religions still have a hold over their members whether it's the Vatican, Islam, or whatever.

You are not allowed ed this or that. You can't say this or that without sinning.

Let's try life without pressure or influence, you never know, it might just work

"

perhaps look at the root of christianity it wasnt brought about to control the population infact folk were persecuted and killed for their faith why cant folk just accept that some folk believe and others dont.

By *44bertCouple  over a year ago

Inverness

Believing there's a magic invisible man in the sky who grants wishes?

Really can't fathom how any adult can think this is true.

By *ikerbob1957Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Religion is the biggest disaster to befall mankind. How many people will die today at the hands of another because they are deemed to be of the "wrong" religion?

It will happen day after day from now to eternity.

I have no religion so I treat people as humans and not stick a label on them based on pre conceived notions.

coatbridge

"Believing there's a magic invisible man in the sky who grants wishes?

Really can't fathom how any adult can think this is true. "

about as believable as dinosaurs were once real...........and aliens didnt plant the skeletons on this planet it really is that easy to poke holes in beliefs

We must be going to hell lol

There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation on here.

Catholicism and Protestantism are both denominations of the same religion- Christianity. There is far more than unites than divides them.

Religion does not cause wars- intolerance tribalism and extremism do.

Neither is one religion the root of all scandal or paedophilia.

Statistically children are most at risk in their own homes from relatives or friends. Paedos don't just groom kids they groom adults to get access.

Aggressive atheism is as dogmatic as some creeds, it is no business of anyone's what individuals faith is.

Talk of banning religion is ridiculous.

If you doubt what I'm saying look at Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot... mans capacity for inhumanity is astounding.

Those with religious belief consistently give more to charity than those without- perhaps because they are encouraged to look outside themselves and their immediate family.

The media don't report good news generally, but certainly not when religious talk about social justice, promote peace or reconciliation.

My education also covered all major faiths- very useful in working with multicultural communities and appreciating their backgrounds.

I've been reading about Buddhisms philosophy and strikes me if people could live with that sort of compassion we'd do a lot better.

Then again the principle of love one another, is universal. Religious or not, just don't be a dick.

Inverness

Really can't fathom how any adult can think this is true. about as believable as dinosaurs were once real...........and aliens didnt plant the skeletons on this planet it really is that easy to poke holes in beliefs"

Except there is massive evidence for dinosaurs existing - not least their bones.

No idea where you're coming from with the aliens. And yes, the very fact it is easy to poke holes in ludicrous beliefs is the point. You can't poke holes in evidence and facts.

By *ostEligibleBachelorMan  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/08/15 14:06:28]

This won't be a popular view point.

Just because a religion brings you happiness, comfort or hope, it doesn't in the slightest bit make the existence of a God true.

The ignorance of man back when the original scriptures were put together, when there was no explanation for everyday things such as sudden changes in weather, disease or even a solar eclipse... They were all not understood seen as acts of the supernatural.

There was a time when everyone thought (and few people even still do to this day) that the earth is only 6,000 years old, there was a time when they thought the earth was flat, when everyone thought the sun and other planets orbited around earth. Do people seriously believe in Adam and Eve, Moses, the wafer turning into Christ, or that Mohammad flew to heaven on a winged horse!?!? Through modern science, the credibility of religion and old religious stories break down.

It's strange that the majority of religious people seem to believe whatever their parents believe, or follow the dominant religion of whichever country or culture they were born into. If you had been born in classical Greece you would be believing in Zeus, if you had been born in Scandinavia at the time of the Vikings you would be believing in Thor.

There has been over 1,000 religions on the planet, which means at best, 999 must be wrong as they all contradict each other. If you believe in 1 of those, then you all know what it's like not to believe in a particular God because you do not believe in the 999 others.

You do not need religion to be moral and I seriously hope no body gets their morals from the bible, in particular the Old Testament, which is a largly immoral collection of books. Can someone tell me what's moral about the first four commandments? What's moral about sacrificing your son as a scapegoat for human sin? Why not just forgive man, why would "God" condemn his own son to torture and death before he forgave man? Whats moral about that? What's moral about telling a young child that if she doesn't grow up to be good, she'll forever burn hell. That's tantamount to mental child abuse!

I could go on and on about the above subject or the subject of evolution being a fact, but I'll let someone else chip in for now.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"I value my religion. Only place am at totally at peace. Honestly can say if I Didnt have my faith not sure if I'd have coped with everything that has challenged me.

Do restle with between the saint n sinner. Been on here at times. But Iv to dance with the devil then so be it."

. Same here . The benefits of religion vastly exceed those factors which people consider to be negative . Attending church and you have a totally focused hour.

"This won't be a popular view point.

Just because a religion brings you happiness, comfort or hope, it doesn't in the slightest bit make the existence of a God true.

The ignorance of man back when the original scriptures were put together, when there was no explanation for everyday things such as sudden changes in weather, disease or even a solar eclipse... They were all not understood seen as acts of the supernatural.

There was a time when everyone thought (and few people even still do to this day) that the earth is only 6,000 years old, there was a time when they thought the earth was flat, when everyone thought the sun and other planets orbited around earth. Do people seriously believe in Adam and Eve, Moses, the wafer turning into Christ, or that Mohammad flew to heaven on a winged horse!?!? Through modern science, the credibility of religion and old religious stories break down.

It's strange that the majority of religious people seem to believe whatever their parents believe, or follow the dominant religion of whichever country or culture they were born into. If you had been born in classical Greece you would be believing in Zeus, if you had been born in Scandinavia at the time of the Vikings you would be believing in Thor.

There has been over 1,000 religions on the planet, which means at best, 999 must be wrong as they all contradict each other. If you believe in 1 of those, then you all know what it's like not to believe in a particular God because you do not believe in the 999 others.

You do not need religion to be moral and I seriously hope no body gets their morals from the bible, in particular the Old Testament, which is a largly immoral collection of books. Can someone tell me what's moral about the first four commandments? What's moral about sacrificing your son as a scapegoat for human sin? Why not just forgive man, why would "God" condemn his own son to torture and death before he forgave man? Whats moral about that? What's moral about telling a young child that if she doesn't grow up to be good, she'll forever burn hell. That's tantamount to mental child abuse!

I could go on and on about the above subject or the subject of evolution being a fact, but I'll let someone else chip in for now. "

Couldn't have said it any better myself

Religion has become a way of controlling the human race which is quite distinctively like brain washing. Everyone sitting on their pews praying for forgiveness every Sunday so they go to heaven.

I was never raised with a religion but I did begin to study each one and picked my own path. Something I believe in and can actually see with my own eyes.

I believe in the Goddess but I won't chap on your door or eye up choir boys lol

Peace out

edinburgh

"There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation on here.

Catholicism and Protestantism are both denominations of the same religion- Christianity. There is far more than unites than divides them.

Religion does not cause wars- intolerance tribalism and extremism do.

Neither is one religion the root of all scandal or paedophilia.

Statistically children are most at risk in their own homes from relatives or friends. Paedos don't just groom kids they groom adults to get access.

Aggressive atheism is as dogmatic as some creeds, it is no business of anyone's what individuals faith is.

Talk of banning religion is ridiculous.

If you doubt what I'm saying look at Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot... mans capacity for inhumanity is astounding.

Those with religious belief consistently give more to charity than those without- perhaps because they are encouraged to look outside themselves and their immediate family.

The media don't report good news generally, but certainly not when religious talk about social justice, promote peace or reconciliation.

My education also covered all major faiths- very useful in working with multicultural communities and appreciating their backgrounds.

I've been reading about Buddhisms philosophy and strikes me if people could live with that sort of compassion we'd do a lot better.

Then again the principle of love one another, is universal. Religious or not, just don't be a dick."

Deepest respect for this post..

coatbridge

Really can't fathom how any adult can think this is true. about as believable as dinosaurs were once real...........and aliens didnt plant the skeletons on this planet it really is that easy to poke holes in beliefs

Except there is massive evidence for dinosaurs existing - not least their bones.

No idea where you're coming from with the aliens. And yes, the very fact it is easy to poke holes in ludicrous beliefs is the point. You can't poke holes in evidence and facts. "

what for some is evidence others can view as circumstantial. As an example did you know that there is evidence points to the fact we could be living in a matrix like system. We chose to discount it. We chose to believe the evidence of evolution.and yet others decide to believe in a higher power but some feel the need to ridicule it.

"what for some is evidence others can view as circumstantial. As an example did you know that there is evidence points to the fact we could be living in a matrix like system. We chose to discount it. We chose to believe the evidence of evolution.and yet others decide to believe in a higher power but some feel the need to ridicule it."

Evidence is discounted when greater evidence challenges or goes against it.

I'm not sure what your stance is on evolution and religion but perhaps you haven't got an impression of how strong the evidence for evolution actually is?

It's as though you had a million different pieces of evidence all pointing in the same direction. You can go and look at fossils, you can go look at DNA evidence, you can go and look at the geographical distribution of animals and plants. That's "evidence".

Does anyone seriously think that what it says in a book, that was written several thousand years ago by whom? some scribe? somebody who obviously didn't know anything about how the world works (how could they in those days?).

Are people saying that they can take the evidence of an ancient book more seriously than the evidence of fossils, the evidence of DNA, of geographical distribution, of comparative anatomy, comparative physiology, etc?

We are all apes who evolved on the plains of Africa. Go back a few million years and we share a common ancestor with the chimpanzee. Btw, we share approximately 97-98% of our DNA with chimpanzees. We're more closely related to the chimpanzee, than even gorillas are to the chimpanzee. All life on earth are cousins of each other and we all share the same common ancestor if you go back far enough. That is why we have DNA in common (at varying degrees) with every form of life on the planet, from chimps, to mice to microbes...

This post isn't directed at the person I quoted. I just used that to lead on to my point about peoples interpretation of what constitutes as evidence. . Evolution is supported by so much evidence that it is correctly categorised as a "fact" within the scientific community. It is a breath of fresh air to see such a discussion here, and it's probably clear that I am keen on the study of evolution and I'd be interested to hear of the evidence that challenges or contradicts it?

There is nothing wrong with being religious and believing in evolution. The majority of high ranking bishops including the arch bishop, as well as the pope have at some point or another publicly supported their beliefs in evolution.

coatbridge

What is written in a book can also be interpreted as evidence. Alot of these things in religeous books could have been used in the courts as eye witness accounts. As for evidence being fact its not that simple. and alot of evidence has the slant of proving that the person or persons view of things is correct.lets use the "matrix" theory as an example if this is correct then it blows evolution out the water......while at the same time going alobg way to proving "god" or any other superbeing thats why I have an open mind and think its silly to ridicule anyones beliefs whether scientific or religeous based.throwing facts and figure you gather from other folk wont make me believe any diffrent

"What is written in a book can also be interpreted as evidence. Alot of these things in religeous books could have been used in the courts as eye witness accounts. As for evidence being fact its not that simple. and alot of evidence has the slant of proving that the person or persons view of things is correct.lets use the "matrix" theory as an example if this is correct then it blows evolution out the water......while at the same time going alobg way to proving "god" or any other superbeing thats why I have an open mind and think its silly to ridicule anyones beliefs whether scientific or religeous based.throwing facts and figure you gather from other folk wont make me believe any diffrent"

Evolution is a fact. It's that simple! Also your comment about "throwing facts and figures you gather from other folk" is a bit of a fallacy as you gathered your matrix theory from someone else? Off the topic of religion but valid re your point about gathering facts from other people: You believe the earth is round I imagine, but you base your belief on what scientists have said eh? You haven't seen the earth with your own eyes... I read books, studies, I don't just listen to Richard Dawkins or Carl Sagan and base my facts off of what they say. There is no evidence in this matrix theory other than a few philosophical fantisful ideas. C'mon now.

"Don't tarnish other people belief n faith. If it brings peace and hope to them .then it Dosnt hurt anyone .

There's good and evil in every walk of life . Thankfully the good out weights the evil."

What most people do in a crisis has got to be make a cup of tea lol x

Lmao Religion.....So people criticize Scientology,because they believe in aliens created the world..(and the human race do actually have spaceships)And they get ridiculed,but people who believe in god are sane,a man in the sky...lol All religion should be banned the world would be a better place...

"Lmao Religion.....So people criticize Scientology,because they believe in aliens created the world..(and the human race do actually have spaceships)And they get ridiculed,but people who believe in god are sane,a man in the sky...lol All religion should be banned the world would be a better place... "

Like i said in my earlier message that religion drugs & money are the cause of all evils. If you need to believe in a fake man in the sky (head of the legalised paedophile ring) then you clearly dont believe in yourself. Stop wasting your time on someone who doesnt exsist as its embaressing

coatbridge

"What is written in a book can also be interpreted as evidence. Alot of these things in religeous books could have been used in the courts as eye witness accounts. As for evidence being fact its not that simple. and alot of evidence has the slant of proving that the person or persons view of things is correct.lets use the "matrix" theory as an example if this is correct then it blows evolution out the water......while at the same time going alobg way to proving "god" or any other superbeing thats why I have an open mind and think its silly to ridicule anyones beliefs whether scientific or religeous based.throwing facts and figure you gather from other folk wont make me believe any diffrent

Evolution is a fact. It's that simple! Also your comment about "throwing facts and figures you gather from other folk" is a bit of a fallacy as you gathered your matrix theory from someone else? Off the topic of religion but valid re your point about gathering facts from other people: You believe the earth is round I imagine, but you base your belief on what scientists have said eh? You haven't seen the earth with your own eyes... I read books, studies, I don't just listen to Richard Dawkins or Carl Sagan and base my facts off of what they say. There is no evidence in this matrix theory other than a few philosophical fantisful ideas. C'mon now. "

maybe go and check the matrix theory out alot more work has been done on it "than a few fantisful ideas" im not sayin evolution isnt real neither am I saying god in his/her/its many forms are not real all the books and studys in the world may be enough for yourself to proclaim fact dosnt really make it so for everyone does it.until science found that the world was round all data they had said the world was flat........... FACT twin skinned reinforced hull unsinkable..........FACT thats how easily facts can become obsolete

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Animal farm

Life of Brian

They taught me all I needed to know about religion,and politics.

Live and let live.

"1984

Animal farm

Life of Brian

They taught me all I needed to know about religion,and politics.

Live and let live.

"

haha so true oiy big nose lol x

Religon is nothing more than an ideology to influence people and give them guidance in a world in which without such practices would have them scratching there head , mariage is also a product of religeon which is essentially a tool to control the masses , Religon in this day is so irrelevant it's mental , you've got same sex marriages , trans gender , a govering society who do the total opasite to what the preach ( as long as we're ok ) to hell with the rest ! Lol , Islam is a real deal but , I was brought up catholic , don't believe in god or Jesus , but I have to endure the orange prodestant order marching in my street

By *oftSwingDuoCouple  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Just because a religion brings you happiness, comfort or hope, it doesn't in the slightest bit make the existence of a God true. "

Love this statement, because it instantly made me think of Santa.

The belief in Santa not only brings the feelings quoted above, but is also a form of control to keep children in line.

I have zero support for organised religion - I do however respect an individual's right to have faith.

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

All who denigrate Python (piss be upon him) are infidels who must be punished.

that's just horrible and wrong

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 31/08/15 00:13:22]

"All who denigrate Python (piss be upon him) are infidels who must be punished. "

Wtf????

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Oh wow! I actually can't believe the words and phrases in this thread!! Seriously, who still uses 'coloured'? And all the other racist undertones. Gadz. "

People are becoming way too politically correct. In my humble opinion racist undertones only exist where there is intent. I watched a movie yesterday about Sudan's Lost Boys where one of the "coloured" people said "these people are without colour" referring to a white man. Now am not saying that line has ever actually been used in that context but it makes sense.

As someone has already said it is not religion that causes wars - belief/religion has had so many positive impacts in ao many parts of the world. That message is lost by the negatives. Which is a shame!

Mrs S

Inverness

"until science found that the world was round all data they had said the world was flat........... FACT twin skinned reinforced hull unsinkable."

Science never said the world was flat. Ever. The Ancient Greeks, the Egyptians, the people who built Stonehenge had already figured it out.

Also, nobody ever said the Titanic was unsinkable. This was a myth that grew from the many fictions written about it afterwards.

Facts are funny things - they don't care if you believe them or not.

» Add a new message to this topic