FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Scottish tablet recipe

Scottish tablet recipe

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *othianGuy41 OP   Man  over a year ago

Eureka

Couple of people asked for a good tablet recipe so here’s mine.

Butter a non stick baking tray with deep sides. Set aside.

Please be careful when making this as its like molten lava & will burn the skin off you if you get it on yourself!

Ingredients

2lbs (1 kg) Granulated Sugar

4 oz (113g) Unsalted Butter (NOT Margarine)

One 14oz (397g) can of Condensed Milk (NOT Evaporated Milk) (Nestle)

8 fl. oz (227ml) of Milk

1 fl. oz (3 dssp) Vanilla extract or whisky

Method

Put the sugar, milk & butter into a fairly large, preferably non stick saucepan on a low heat & stir for about 15 minuets till all the sugar has dissolved. Then add the tin of condensed milk

Put pan on medium-high heat and bring mixture to the boil (this usually takes somewhere around 10 mins), stirring occasionally.

Once mixture comes to the boil, reduce the heat until mixture is boiling gently.

Continue to let it boil for around 20 minutes, till it turns a golden brown colour, still stirring constantly

Remove saucepan from the heat and add Vanilla extract or whisky ( note it will bubble up so keep your fingers clear!!) ... and now comes the 'elbow grease'... beat the mixture like fuck for 4 - 5 minutes, solid with a wooden spoon. But I’ve since tried an electric whisk & that worked to ( reduce time a minute for electric whisk)

At this point the Tablet is ready to be poured into the baking tray you Allow mixture to cool a little and then mark it off into bars, or squares with a sharp knife.

Hope you enjoy this. Please comment if you have a different recipe or method xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Couple of people asked for a good tablet recipe so here’s mine.

Please be careful when making this as its like molten lava & will burn the skin off you if you get it on yourself!

Ingredients

8 fl. oz (227ml) of Milk

Method

Put the sugar, milk & butter into a fairly large, preferably non stick saucepan on a low heat & stir for about 15 minuets till all the sugar has dissolved. Then add the tin of condensed milk

Put pan on medium-high heat and bring mixture to the boil (this usually takes somewhere around 10 mins), stirring occasionally.

Once mixture comes to the boil, reduce the heat until mixture is boiling gently.

Continue to let it boil for around 20 minutes, till it turns a golden brown colour, still stirring constantly

Remove saucepan from the heat and add Vanilla extract or whisky ( note it will bubble up so keep your fingers clear!!) ... and now comes the 'elbow grease'... beat the mixture like fuck for 4 - 5 minutes, solid with a wooden spoon. But I’ve since tried an electric whisk & that worked to ( reduce time a minute for electric whisk)

At this point the Tablet is ready to be poured into the baking tray you Allow mixture to cool a little and then mark it off into bars, or squares with a sharp knife.

"

This is pretty much like mine and makes great tablet but I use caster sugar as it gives a better texture and whole milk. Agreed butter not marg and condensed milk. Tablet is an indulgence and wicked not healthy, don’t try and make it that way lol

Eureka

Yes it’s definitely not healthy but if it turns out right its amazing ?? probably one of the reasons im fat haha x

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Almost the same though i caramalise the condensed milk seperatly and and bring together at the end gives a better grainy texture that i prefer though others dont (dents in the tin method for condensed milk be careful as if ya get wrong can be havoc)

"Yes it’s definitely not healthy but if it turns out right its amazing ?? probably one of the reasons im fat haha x "

It IS amazing and I dislike sweet things so it’s odd I love tablet (the good homemade stuff that is) and as someone on the ice cream thread said Scottish tablet ice cream is yum too

"Almost the same though i caramalise the condensed milk seperatly and and bring together at the end gives a better grainy texture that i prefer though others dont (dents in the tin method for condensed milk be careful as if ya get wrong can be havoc)"

Horses for courses I think, sounds lovely but I love the melty texture the caster sugar gives. Oh it’s a science to be sure lol

"Almost the same though i caramalise the condensed milk seperatly and and bring together at the end gives a better grainy texture that i prefer though others dont (dents in the tin method for condensed milk be careful as if ya get wrong can be havoc)

Horses for courses I think, sounds lovely but I love the melty texture the caster sugar gives. Oh it’s a science to be sure lol "

Can you whip me up a batch for when I'm home?

"Almost the same though i caramalise the condensed milk seperatly and and bring together at the end gives a better grainy texture that i prefer though others dont (dents in the tin method for condensed milk be careful as if ya get wrong can be havoc)

Horses for courses I think, sounds lovely but I love the melty texture the caster sugar gives. Oh it’s a science to be sure lol

Can you whip me up a batch for when I'm home? "

Lol Nae bovver, hope you’re having a good time missus xxxx

Ohhhh another tip, a heavy based saucepan and keep it moving or it burns

Eureka

Can you whip me up a batch for when I'm home?

Lol Nae bovver, hope you’re having a good time missus xxxx

Ohhhh another tip, a heavy based saucepan and keep it moving or it burns "

I use a non stick pot cos its a nightmare to clean if its not. Oh & try the Equi’s tablet ice cream they have in asda its amazing x

My pot is inherited lol. Equi’s is lovely I agree

Eureka

"My pot is inherited lol. Equi’s is lovely I agree "

Is it one of those antique ones that weigh a ton? x

"My pot is inherited lol. Equi’s is lovely I agree

Is it one of those antique ones that weigh a ton? x "

Yes!!! I make soup in it too

Eureka

Yes!!! I make soup in it too "

Love a bowl of homemade soup. Sweet & spicy carrot & sweet potato is my favourite to make... bloody starving now haha x

Ingredients

8 fl. oz (227ml) of Milk

Method

"

Love the sound of this

Love a bowl of homemade soup. Sweet & spicy carrot & sweet potato is my favourite to make... bloody starving now haha x "

I do one like that - butternut squash too with garlic, chilli and coconut milk - It's lush

By *anny77Man  over a year ago

glasgow

This is why I love fab

By *oggingnfloggingCouple  over a year ago

fife

Ingredients

8 fl. oz (227ml) of Milk

Method

"

pretty much the same but instead of vanilla or whisky try grating a bar of chocolate orange and add it

I always end up eating the condensed milk straight from the can, yum

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

I don’t like vanilla essence added to it. The trick is in the stirring back to get the grainy texture. Otherwise you just end up with fudge.

Eureka

Love a bowl of homemade soup. Sweet & spicy carrot & sweet potato is my favourite to make... bloody starving now haha x

I do one like that - butternut squash too with garlic, chilli and coconut milk - It's lush "

That sounds amazing. Id maybe add some Thai lemon grass to that recipe. After all cooking is like a bit like sex, be experimental, try new things & it’ll always be fun x

I do one like that - butternut squash too with garlic, chilli and coconut milk - It's lush

That sounds amazing. Id maybe add some Thai lemon grass to that recipe. After all cooking is like a bit like sex, be experimental, try new things & it’ll always be fun x "

Good idea, might add that next time, thanks

By *at n michaelCouple  over a year ago

AYRSHIRE

swear by sunday post recipe i got yrs ago works every time ...

» Add a new message to this topic