FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > How many on here face loosing there jobs

How many on here face loosing there jobs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *inkycream OP   Couple  over a year ago

manchester

Seems to be much more than we realise

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Seems to be much more than we realise "

But far less than without the furlough scheme and other things brought in by Rishi

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS  over a year ago

Huddersfield

We had work lined up throughout 2020 and leading into 2021 but once lock down happened every contract was cancelled.

I already did, back in March

By *issme quick sucmeslowMan  over a year ago

warringtonish

Furloughed but losing mine in 6weeks

By *inkycream OP   Couple  over a year ago

manchester

Looking like some tougher times coming

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Been saying on this forum for ages this lockdown would cause misery and more deaths in the long run ,there is going to be one hell of a recession, hospital waiting lists for operations horrendous

I work in education and had my hours slashed even though I'm doing the same amount of work but, I feel very lucky to be back in September and I have a some job security.

Saying that, my subject is always to first to go.

By *exy7Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"Seems to be much more than we realise

But far less than without the furlough scheme and other things brought in by Rishi"

Probably. However if the furlough scheme had been a Labour idea, it would have been deemed to be communist.

I dread to think how the tories would have reacted if Labour had renationalised parts of the train network as the conservatives just have and if Labour had paid all these people to stay at home. Nice to see the tory suddenly believing in state intervention.

It is a shame they don't believe in it when the other parties suggest it. Do as I say but don't do as I do. The tory mantra.

Only just been furloughed last week which seems quite late in the game considering my company originally got denied the scheme (funny how they got it now. No doubt the fuckers just wanted us to work through the peek of this plus even our CEO died from it) but iam guessing now orders are complete or they cant get material to start other stuff or drivers so its basically a knock on effect as in we have work but do it. I actually hope I get made redundant to be honest fucking horrible company

By *aughtywifeandhimCouple  over a year ago

luton

Have been layed off many times in the past, in a better situation these days,, but who knows what tomorrow will bring, so I tend to live for today

"Only just been furloughed last week which seems quite late in the game considering my company originally got denied the scheme (funny how they got it now. No doubt the fuckers just wanted us to work through the peek of this plus even our CEO died from it) but iam guessing now orders are complete or they cant get material to start other stuff or drivers so its basically a knock on effect as in we have work but do it. I actually hope I get made redundant to be honest fucking horrible company "

Be careful what you wish for. Getting a bit of redundancy pay is one thing, getting another job might be difficult in the coming months.

Same as one other poster we had a contract due to commence on 2nd march for the rest of 2020 it was cancelled..now many companies can't get materials so projects aren't starting or being cancelled..

"Only just been furloughed last week which seems quite late in the game considering my company originally got denied the scheme (funny how they got it now. No doubt the fuckers just wanted us to work through the peek of this plus even our CEO died from it) but iam guessing now orders are complete or they cant get material to start other stuff or drivers so its basically a knock on effect as in we have work but do it. I actually hope I get made redundant to be honest fucking horrible company "

That sounds very familiar to my job- they won’t even pay sickleave to staff. One person had an industrial accident and lost a hand. The only reason that he got anything was through a tribunal (which they lost)

I hope that something comes off good for you soon x

By *olden RatioWoman  over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

Lost my job in March. Have fortunately had some freelance work to tide me over but the future scares me somewhat.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I was made redundant in March, so no furlough, straight away due to start on a self employed basis in a new job, can't do that as its tourist related, so couldn't get help for that either. Ended up having to claim UC which took 5 weeks to come through.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

my job is 50/50 if its gona be there to go back to.if i do get made redundant then so be it.it wont be the first time. its happend if it does i will do what i have in the past.get whatever job i can to keep money coming in until i can find one that i actually want to do

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"I was made redundant in March, so no furlough, straight away due to start on a self employed basis in a new job, can't do that as its tourist related, so couldn't get help for that either. Ended up having to claim UC which took 5 weeks to come through. "

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I was on a fixed term contract til August and thought, being furloughed my contract wouldn't be extended, it has been for another year which is good news.

Good thing as other half is self employed heating engineer. He was struggling before lock down now doesn't have any work at all.

Approaching 60, twenty years self employed he will struggle to find work.

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

My company is cutting the workforce by 50% next month.

Not a comforting thought

I'm quite lucky I guess. I work in care, I'm contracted full time. The zero hour girls have no work as it's being put on the contracted staff. If they don't work they don't earn. It's like redundancy without being made redundant for them

By *andystick72Man  over a year ago

kinky Street

I've got to much work I've just taken 2 lads on

By *ighugs69Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

I think furlough is currently hiding a lot of zombie jobs. It maybe a rather bleak time this winter.

I'm WFH & been told we're not back in the office anytime soon. Work colleagues are happy about it, but its set alarm bells ringing with me. If they're happy to have remote workers - then it's easy to replace us with cheaper overseas people.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm a student, paid full price for my course but haven't received a full year's tuition. My part time work is ongoing. I fear for the troubles that so many here may have yet to come.

"I'm a student, paid full price for my course but haven't received a full year's tuition. My part time work is ongoing. I fear for the troubles that so many here may have yet to come. "
My students are doing catch up over the summer. Very taugh position to be in.

But far less than without the furlough scheme and other things brought in by Rishi

Probably. However if the furlough scheme had been a Labour idea, it would have been deemed to be communist.

I dread to think how the tories would have reacted if Labour had renationalised parts of the train network as the conservatives just have and if Labour had paid all these people to stay at home. Nice to see the tory suddenly believing in state intervention.

It is a shame they don't believe in it when the other parties suggest it. Do as I say but don't do as I do. The tory mantra. "

What's your point? In fact it's a moot point. The only relevance that I can see is if we are faced with another crisis such as this and Labour are in power.

The point is that the chancellor did good.

To everyone thinking the furlough scheme saved jobs, you are possibly right and most likely wrong.

IF furlough keeps people in jobs until their employer and those they sell to are fully back to unrestricted activity then it will be a huge success and something the govt. should rightly be proud of.

That however looks to be very unlikely with no end of restrictions (in particular the hugely damaging and largely unworkable 2m rule). Many companies will struggle to reopen profitably, others may not be in a position to reopen at all. Offices won't be able to house all staff, transport won't be able to get people to work and many consumers just won't be willing to stand for an hour in the rain to get into shops unless they absolutely have to.

I sadly suspect that we've only seen the tip of a very large iceberg of unemployment so far. There's still time to change course but we (the uk population) need to shake free of the fear pandemic paralyzing us and start putting real pressure on our politicians to do it before it's too late.

"To everyone thinking the furlough scheme saved jobs, you are possibly right and most likely wrong.

IF furlough keeps people in jobs until their employer and those they sell to are fully back to unrestricted activity then it will be a huge success and something the govt. should rightly be proud of.

That however looks to be very unlikely with no end of restrictions (in particular the hugely damaging and largely unworkable 2m rule). Many companies will struggle to reopen profitably, others may not be in a position to reopen at all. Offices won't be able to house all staff, transport won't be able to get people to work and many consumers just won't be willing to stand for an hour in the rain to get into shops unless they absolutely have to.

I sadly suspect that we've only seen the tip of a very large iceberg of unemployment so far. There's still time to change course but we (the uk population) need to shake free of the fear pandemic paralyzing us and start putting real pressure on our politicians to do it before it's too late."

"To everyone thinking the furlough scheme saved jobs, you are possibly right and most likely wrong.

I sadly suspect that we've only seen the tip of a very large iceberg of unemployment so far. There's still time to change course but we (the uk population) need to shake free of the fear pandemic paralyzing us and start putting real pressure on our politicians to do it before it's too late."

Indeed just like how many got fired mid-late March it will continue as the amount of work necessary is going to massively drop in most sectors. I work as a manager in a pub and while it's not being mentioned I expect we will lose about 60% of our allowed hours. So we'll have to drop over half our staff

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Very lucky we are growing through this still and more vacancies than ever. Telecom / internet always does well , even in recession tv/internet/phone are the last things people cancel

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

To everyone that has lost their job or had hours cut I am sorry you have had to go through this.As far as I am aware my job is safe in fact my office have taken on 8 members of staff on fixed term 6 month contracts.Please don’t hold it against me but I work for DWP in a job centre doing my best with all the new claims that are coming in.

Bristol

It is a shame they don't believe in it when the other parties suggest it. Do as I say but don't do as I do. The tory mantra.

What's your point? In fact it's a moot point. The only relevance that I can see is if we are faced with another crisis such as this and Labour are in power.

The point is that the chancellor did good. "

The chancellor did good?

You probably mean the chancellor did WELL in proper English. I am not criticising the furlough scheme in itself or what the tories have done. I am just saying that the party which doesn't believe in state intervention itself brands everybody who believes in state intervention as communist. And people who are congratulating Sunak for this scheme would probably have shat on Labour if they'd paid people doing f.all but stay at home. I repeat that The Daily Mail and the right wingers like Duncan Smith and co would have vomitted their bile for months.

By *londie8399Couple  over a year ago

blackpool

I was layed off last Friday so been seching to find a new job with not much luck

Bristol

"I was layed off last Friday so been seching to find a new job with not much luck"

Best of luck guys. Hope it goes well for you.

By *dsindyTV/TS  over a year ago

East Lancashire

25% going at my place.....and as others have stated, not a lot of jobs out there.

Bristol

And that's before whatever Brexit will bring...

By *edGrayCouple  over a year ago

Swindon

I am in the hospitality industry, so our future is uncertain.

I lost mine back in March. Luckily i found another pretty quick.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I think the people who are still on furlough at my place (5 or 6 people chose not to come back), should be getting a bit worried. Our takings are down and I doubt our company will make up the shortfall when furlough payments are reduced by the government. As far as I am aware the furlough scheme doesn't stop employers from making redundancies.

We are coping on 75% of the workforce, they can see that as well

By *urocougarCouple  over a year ago

watton

Today on radio2 it’s claimed they are going to start investigating some company’s for fraud now as many company’s have been claiming furlough for people who have been working or told if they didn’t attend work they don’t bother coming back at all

If this happens they won’t have a job either

Iv not been able to claim anything for myself but did for the staff but they are all facing unemployment at the end of this sad fact many company’s will not see a Christmas party this year

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Not really. Anyone with a bit of foresight could have told you the Job Retention Scheme, and other measures similar, were only a delaying tactic.

They had to be done because the impact of 2 to 3 million unemployed in a month would have been catastrophic. The government bought itself time to plan for 1980's style unemployment.

That will happen. The mass transportation, tourism, hospitality and entertainment industries are not going to be profitable at anything less than full capacity - and that won't happen until an effective vaccine is available.

There's been a lot of heads buried in the sand on this. Partly because it's a natural human reaction to deal with one crisis at a time and cross bridges as you come to them.

Hopefully, the government will have a post-furlough plan; though, on their track record so far, that's maybe overoptimistic.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Things aren't looking good. The civil engineering company I've been working for over the last 18 months is cutting the workforce by 40%. Been on furlough since last week; probably be end of job by end of next month. Time to start circulating my CV again I guess.

It is a shame they don't believe in it when the other parties suggest it. Do as I say but don't do as I do. The tory mantra. "

some people on here just cant see past party politics no matter what the topic of the thread

dont you have a politics section you could be in?

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

some people on here just cant see past party politics no matter what the topic of the thread

dont you have a politics section you could be in? "

dont you have a politics section you could be in? "

Well as it stands I've not earned a penny since March. I've not been self employed long enough to qualify for a grant and saving have been taking a hammering. Safe to say if the pools don't reopen soon I'm going to be in a pretty dire situation

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Well as it stands I've not earned a penny since March. I've not been self employed long enough to qualify for a grant and saving have been taking a hammering. Safe to say if the pools don't reopen soon I'm going to be in a pretty dire situation"

That sucks. Presumably you haven't been sitting round moping and have been actively looking for some source of income. There is still plenty of work out there...

"Well as it stands I've not earned a penny since March. I've not been self employed long enough to qualify for a grant and saving have been taking a hammering. Safe to say if the pools don't reopen soon I'm going to be in a pretty dire situation

That sucks. Presumably you haven't been sitting round moping and have been actively looking for some source of income. There is still plenty of work out there..."

i know someone in similar position who took a job in morrisons and is really happy about the bit of breathing space its given her

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Today, our business owners announced they are reopening the hotel in early August.

Though 9 staff were made redundant, 7 of us including myself have been retained along with the GM, to prepare the building in line with Govt guidelines for reopening, & then move the business forward.

I'm happy tonight I've kept my job, especially in these troubled times and at 65 years old too.

By *utualpleasure42Man  over a year ago

enter location here

I'm on universal credit.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Lost my job beginning of march when europe started shutting down. Was a long term contractor so no redundancy or furlough. My industry is starting to think about recruiting again. Probably not take anyone on for a couple of months and in much lower numbers.

I had a bit of a rest to start with as I hadn't had a day off since January 3rd. But yes, I've been proactive with my dowtime. My side business (t-shirt printing/sticker making) is now operating again with most of the country returning to work and suppliers both having stock and shipping orders.

I applied for a few jobs but didn't hear anything back.

Fingers crossed things get back to some normality soon...I actually miss my job

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

My cousin started his own business last year taking home a six figure sum in his first year and used to towards a house purchase and refurbishment. Now he is looking at part time work as a food delivery driver. I am sure his business will resume eventually. But I think some industries will be in for a shock and people will have to take a few steps back before they are able to take any steps forward. I have literally no idea what I'd move into if I needed to find a new job and if my current industry was impacted. Some people may work in a niche area and suddenly find only unskilled roles are available to them. Gonna be a hell of an adjustment period for some sadly.

However, over in Hong Kong where I have relatives, they say that life hasn't drastically been altered over there compared to what we are all anticipating. Do any people think that the situation here will 'blow over' and we won't suffer as greatly as anticipated?

Highly likely for us. We manage a small independent hotel near Gatwick, we was struggling before lockdown (and waiting for planning approval to turn the place into flats) so we knew our job was at risk anyway but kinda had about a year left, the boss sat us down the other day and said that he is looking at the bookings coming in for August and what other hotels in the area are doing, so far we haven't had one booking in August (apart from the 3 we had booked prelockdown).

I can't see us surviving if we can only open partly and have no functions.

We don't qualify for redundancy pay as not been here 2 years yet either and we will have to look for new jobs and home at the same time.

Danish x

"Highly likely for us. We manage a small independent hotel near Gatwick, we was struggling before lockdown (and waiting for planning approval to turn the place into flats) so we knew our job was at risk anyway but kinda had about a year left, the boss sat us down the other day and said that he is looking at the bookings coming in for August and what other hotels in the area are doing, so far we haven't had one booking in August (apart from the 3 we had booked prelockdown).

We don't qualify for redundancy pay as not been here 2 years yet either and we will have to look for new jobs and home at the same time.

Danish x"

Hello Danish. This is me if you know who me is! Sorry to hear of you guys potentially facing bad news.

"Highly likely for us. We manage a small independent hotel near Gatwick, we was struggling before lockdown (and waiting for planning approval to turn the place into flats) so we knew our job was at risk anyway but kinda had about a year left, the boss sat us down the other day and said that he is looking at the bookings coming in for August and what other hotels in the area are doing, so far we haven't had one booking in August (apart from the 3 we had booked prelockdown).

Danish x Hello Danish. This is me if you know who me is! Sorry to hear of you guys potentially facing bad news. "

Quick look at your photos, I know who you are lol.

We knew when lockdown happened that we would be lucky to have a job at the end and there are people out there far worse off than us, I mean we have had an amazing lockdown really, isolated in this place, although a tad lonely sometimes x

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Danish x"

I truly sympathise, as many hotels and Hospitality businesses are at real risk.

I can't offer you jobs, but I have very good contacts in Hospitality Recruitment agencies to whom I can refer you or at least pass on their details.

PM me if you want to follow up? Iain.

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

"Been saying on this forum for ages this lockdown would cause misery and more deaths in the long run ,there is going to be one hell of a recession, hospital waiting lists for operations horrendous "

I think we are heading for more like a depression. The toughest times in a very long time ahead.

"Well as it stands I've not earned a penny since March. I've not been self employed long enough to qualify for a grant and saving have been taking a hammering. Safe to say if the pools don't reopen soon I'm going to be in a pretty dire situation

That sucks. Presumably you haven't been sitting round moping and have been actively looking for some source of income. There is still plenty of work out there...

i know someone in similar position who took a job in morrisons and is really happy about the bit of breathing space its given her"

My work closed down March 31st, got redundancy but the line of work I'm qualified and experienced in dried up with lockdown so I took a manufacturing type job

to keep busy and even that I'm only earning around 37% of my previous salary I've hardly been spending anything so haven't really felt worse off

Start new job in a week or so which is similar to my previous role so thankfully all good here but I feel sorry for the potential hundreds of thousands that may be loosing theirs in the coming weeks

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Things will come to a head soon.

Employers wil start paying towards furlough in August, and if they can't or won't pay it, then they will have to start issuing redundancy notices dependent on contract notice leadtimes.

I notice that certain parts of the hospitality trade have said that they have to open on July 4th, or they will start mass redundancies.

Mine is safe for now , worked all through this , so many work mates went off sick or stayed at home , Don’t think they will have a job , if and when they decide to show up , it showed the bosses , that we don’t need so many people, just the right ones

By *ikingCoolMan  over a year ago

carmarthen

Not meany will release what hardship there is to come,

There will be massive job losses, food prices and everything will go up, as always we will be for it big business, s will have big help and then the banks will jump on it

People need to see this as a wake up call.

This wasn't even that big of a pandemic compared to what could have happened had the lethality been closer to something like Ebola.

Personally I just see this as a key indicator of the perils of late-stage capitalism.

For all the cr*p the government has gotten over this, you've seen them try to support the actual workers this time around and not so much the corporations. Compared to the 2008 recession where we ALL footed the bill for the mortgage lender's cock ups.

This time around not even Richard Branson can get a hand-out. At least something has sunk in from the past mistakes, thankfully.

By *ingo69Man  over a year ago

north staffs south cheshire

I think once the employers have to start paying a percentage of furlough when GOV knock the 80% down to 60% ,this is when you will see more places going into administration , but spending £900.000 painting Boris,s plane is an insult to those who who have lost jobs and passed away

Already lost mine. Trying to find another. One job i applied for had 80 other applications

By *ingo69Man  over a year ago

north staffs south cheshire

"People need to see this as a wake up call.

This wasn't even that big of a pandemic compared to what could have happened had the lethality been closer to something like Ebola.

Personally I just see this as a key indicator of the perils of late-stage capitalism.

For all the cr*p the government has gotten over this, you've seen them try to support the actual workers this time around and not so much the corporations. Compared to the 2008 recession where we ALL footed the bill for the mortgage lender's cock ups.

This time around not even Richard Branson can get a hand-out. At least something has sunk in from the past mistakes, thankfully."

the bank rescue package totaled

£500 billion

and these loans which people firms can get at the moment they are still laughing at GOV , these should have been interest free as a gesture of goodwill to the people of the UK for the baling out in 2008 ,

"Things will come to a head soon.

Employers wil start paying towards furlough in August, and if they can't or won't pay it, then they will have to start issuing redundancy notices dependent on contract notice leadtimes.

I notice that certain parts of the hospitality trade have said that they have to open on July 4th, or they will start mass redundancies. "

I think the fact that the furlough scheme is changing end of July is an indicator that EVERY sector will be back re opened by then. I feared I would have to make more redundancies than it now appears I need to. It’s shown me that I can run my business a little leaner though, with a smaller but better team. I’ve trimmed the fat and come end July I will make redundant the final staff I still have on furlough

By *ikingCoolMan  over a year ago

carmarthen

That answers it for you, re the recession 2oo8, and I was in business in the big one where I lost everything, this will be a lot worst, don't want to be doom and gloom but that is how it will go

[Removed by poster at 19/06/20 07:54:04]

We are already seeing the greedy doing things already salaries for jobs being offered are dropping, especially in construction...they say companies can work...but housing is going into slow mo mode or delaying more new builds as they assess any drop in value of houses..comapnies that want to work are struggling to get materials. So many of the factories etc are furloughed that they haven't produced anything or very limited amounts of materials there is a mass shortage so if a company cant get materials why will they return to work ? Its going to be awkward for many companies trying to open up again either because of social distancing supply chain issues or the fact that contracts are being postponed etc..the first 3 to 6 month will be a very bumpy transition from lockdown as people and companies adjust with the enviable companies going bust etc..

By *estofbothCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

We’ve seen a big decrease in business income, and D has actually stopped taking a wage so that some of the guys will be ok through this. However we’re going to be ok, it’s frustrating sure, but thankfully this won’t affect our lives too dramatically.

It’s the people who are struggling to pay for their homes and worrying about feeding themselves that we have sympathy for.

I work within Aircraft Manufacturing and it has been hit very hard.At the moment most of the workforce are on furlough.

Rumours are 1000 jobs will go where I'm based.Awaiting the dreaded email/letter of the companies intention.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

"I'm quite lucky I guess. I work in care, I'm contracted full time. The zero hour girls have no work as it's being put on the contracted staff. If they don't work they don't earn. It's like redundancy without being made redundant for them"

Zero hours contracts are a disgrace from what I have seen , not that I'm an expert.

By *orkiecplCouple  over a year ago

York

If you work in hospitality or tourism or a travel based job ,your job is at risk, but even if your job is in a connected industry like rolls royce jet engine plant your job is still at risk, in the leisure industry like cinema theatres music venues etc your job is at risk, so if you in those industry it is going to be a bloodbath estimates state between 4-6 million unemployment after this is all over , those are optimistic a realistic estimate is more like 6-10 million considering lots of shops will not re-open either. Now a really unpopular view lets say the total deaths is 120,000 by the end, was the lockdown a good idea when the consequences are a totally destroyed economy that will take a generation to recover, due to the destroyed economy how many relationship will end badly and how many extra suicides will there be, you have to ask has the lockdown been worth the price we have had to pay for it.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I’m in mental health .... hate to say it but I think I’m pretty safe

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

"

But far less than without the furlough scheme and other things brought in by Rishi"

The furlough scheme is just expensive dole to keep people of the unemployment register and get people to go along with the disastrous plan of crashing the economy.

Just wait for the Brexit double whammy.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

"If you work in hospitality or tourism or a travel based job ,your job is at risk, but even if your job is in a connected industry like rolls royce jet engine plant your job is still at risk, in the leisure industry like cinema theatres music venues etc your job is at risk, so if you in those industry it is going to be a bloodbath estimates state between 4-6 million unemployment after this is all over , those are optimistic a realistic estimate is more like 6-10 million considering lots of shops will not re-open either. Now a really unpopular view lets say the total deaths is 120,000 by the end, was the lockdown a good idea when the consequences are a totally destroyed economy that will take a generation to recover, due to the destroyed economy how many relationship will end badly and how many extra suicides will there be, you have to ask has the lockdown been worth the price we have had to pay for it."
Totally agree with you the operation was a successful but the patient died , Government will find another way to count unemployed like they did in the 80s changed it over 20 times each time figure went down.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

I really get the feeling this is just the first of several really bad years unless the government has some top secret ecinomic plans for the no deal brexit they crave so much.

I really hope they do have a plan but this pandemic has shown they don't have a lot of natural talent, especially at the top end.

I just hope that this time next year I have to eat my hat.

By *ighugs69Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

"If you work in hospitality or tourism or a travel based job ,your job is at risk, but even if your job is in a connected industry like rolls royce jet engine plant your job is still at risk, in the leisure industry like cinema theatres music venues etc your job is at risk, so if you in those industry it is going to be a bloodbath estimates state between 4-6 million unemployment after this is all over , those are optimistic a realistic estimate is more like 6-10 million considering lots of shops will not re-open either. Now a really unpopular view lets say the total deaths is 120,000 by the end, was the lockdown a good idea when the consequences are a totally destroyed economy that will take a generation to recover, due to the destroyed economy how many relationship will end badly and how many extra suicides will there be, you have to ask has the lockdown been worth the price we have had to pay for it. Totally agree with you the operation was a successful but the patient died , Government will find another way to count unemployed like they did in the 80s changed it over 20 times each time figure went down."

Sadly as painful as the lock down & the job losses are, there's not really much choice. Since the numbers involved are quite frankly scary.

Currently around 300,000 cases & 42,000 dead. That's a 14% mortality rate. Now both those figures are likely lower than the actual. But let's say it's a 3% rate and the UK population is 66 million. That could mean 2 million people dead.

Is the lockdown and all it's problems good - of course not. But the alternative would be much worse.

the wetlands

"If you work in hospitality or tourism or a travel based job ,your job is at risk, but even if your job is in a connected industry like rolls royce jet engine plant your job is still at risk, in the leisure industry like cinema theatres music venues etc your job is at risk, so if you in those industry it is going to be a bloodbath estimates state between 4-6 million unemployment after this is all over , those are optimistic a realistic estimate is more like 6-10 million considering lots of shops will not re-open either. Now a really unpopular view lets say the total deaths is 120,000 by the end, was the lockdown a good idea when the consequences are a totally destroyed economy that will take a generation to recover, due to the destroyed economy how many relationship will end badly and how many extra suicides will there be, you have to ask has the lockdown been worth the price we have had to pay for it. Totally agree with you the operation was a successful but the patient died , Government will find another way to count unemployed like they did in the 80s changed it over 20 times each time figure went down.

Sadly as painful as the lock down & the job losses are, there's not really much choice. Since the numbers involved are quite frankly scary.

Currently around 300,000 cases & 42,000 dead. That's a 14% mortality rate. Now both those figures are likely lower than the actual. But let's say it's a 3% rate and the UK population is 66 million. That could mean 2 million people dead.

Is the lockdown and all it's problems good - of course not. But the alternative would be much worse."

You might do some better research on those numbers lol

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

"I already did, back in March "

I am the same, mid March they terminated my contract, haven’t been able to find work since and the longer it takes the harder it will be.

Lily

Very lucky to work in a flour mill myself so very very busy lately, haven't stopped!

By *andyladMan  over a year ago

Hereorthere

Feel for you guys. Count myself in the lucky group

Ive been interviewing people this week for 3 full time jobs ..jobs that are normally hard to fill yet for those 3 jobs we've had over 300 people apply mainly ex retail people .. seems alot are losing jobs.

By *ad-eMan  over a year ago

Exeter

Just found out today I’m likely to be made redundant but to wait a while and hope for the best!

[Removed by poster at 19/06/20 21:30:45]

Bristol

My God. Are you in love with him? There isn’t an hour without you mentioning his first name!

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple  over a year ago

Slough

"If you work in hospitality or tourism or a travel based job ,your job is at risk, but even if your job is in a connected industry like rolls royce jet engine plant your job is still at risk, in the leisure industry like cinema theatres music venues etc your job is at risk, so if you in those industry it is going to be a bloodbath estimates state between 4-6 million unemployment after this is all over , those are optimistic a realistic estimate is more like 6-10 million considering lots of shops will not re-open either. Now a really unpopular view lets say the total deaths is 120,000 by the end, was the lockdown a good idea when the consequences are a totally destroyed economy that will take a generation to recover, due to the destroyed economy how many relationship will end badly and how many extra suicides will there be, you have to ask has the lockdown been worth the price we have had to pay for it."

The general public opinion seems to lag 2 months behind reality. As in most people have now realised that all the sacrifices since march have generated worse results than nearly every other country. So the fact that the governments approach didn't save many lives has set in. The next step is to realise that the government didn't save jobs either and really gave us the worst of both worlds. Not sure how it plays out though, mass civil disobedience peaceful or otherwise by September.

My God. Are you in love with him? There isn’t an hour without you mentioning his first name! "

you already responded to this post yesterday... quoted it and everything ... whats wrong did you not get a bite?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"I’m in mental health .... hate to say it but I think I’m pretty safe "

I think that may explode when all this is over

By *ancardiff7Man  over a year ago

Near Cowbridge

We were heading for a recession anyway. Covid-19 has just accelerated it and driven it deeper unfortunately.

I'm glad it's not my hand on the tiller trying to balance public health and the economy.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

"I’m in mental health .... hate to say it but I think I’m pretty safe

I think that may explode when all this is over"

Yep sure will

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

Offspring furloughed until government scheme ends. Told less than a week after introduction of furlough that every single employee will not return when the scheme ends as they are selling up.

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 20/06/20 00:31:43]

Bristol

My God. Are you in love with him? There isn’t an hour without you mentioning his first name!

you already responded to this post yesterday... quoted it and everything ... whats wrong did you not get a bite? "

Well spotted Clouseau. I thought there were two different posts and I have slept since yesterday. Nothing to do with biting. Silly me.

By *angbangFantasyWoman  over a year ago

London

I'm actually really thankful I'm not as risk of losing my job. I actually had a pay rise and promotion before the lockdown and then our company CEO told everyone else in an email that the usual 2% pay rise in June would have to be frozen till January 2021

So I feel really lucky right now because before covid I was in a financial rut.

I do think that the more scare mongering about loosing jobs the more jobs will be lost, the economy has been hit but it will bounce back if people keep spending and no body spends when they think they are about to loose there job so it's abit of a circle which can go either way. The furlough system has helped keep things level for a bit but the sooner we can bounce back and start spending with out fear of job losses the better.

By *ovelybumCouple  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

"We were heading for a recession anyway. Covid-19 has just accelerated it and driven it deeper unfortunately. "

Totally agree with you on that one, the world economy was going for a downturn prior covid and the virus has only accelerated things. However firm believer that from 2021 onwards we'll see a huge upturn and it won't be nowhere nearer as bad as some economists are predicting.

Feel for those who are loosing their jobs right now! In fact our business is taking a massive hit, but we only have one option - keep going and look out for new opportunities.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

We both managed to do this in March. So for 3 months we have got no support from the Govt. No benefits are available as we had savings, so we have to fund ourselfs. We aren’t complaining about people who get paid whilst furloughed.

What we are complaining about is how woeful the benefit system is. If we did not have savings, we’d be absolutely screwed. Our society needs to really look at changing Personal Allowances to Universal Income. Personal Allowances work if you are employed, but if you aren’t then they are worthless.

Not looking for sympathy here, just think that as a society we should rethink how we support people.

Slough

"We were heading for a recession anyway. Covid-19 has just accelerated it and driven it deeper unfortunately.

Totally agree with you on that one, the world economy was going for a downturn prior covid and the virus has only accelerated things. "

Crickey, I don't remember a recovery from the 2009 recession!

By *cpheeCouple  over a year ago

hemel hempstead

Unfortunately I've been made redundant so we're reliant on my wife's salary. Its difficult but you have to appreciate theres people in worse positions. I'm finding it hard to find other work though. Seems fewer jobs and many more applications.

"I'm a student, paid full price for my course but haven't received a full year's tuition. My part time work is ongoing. I fear for the troubles that so many here may have yet to come. "
my daughter started uni last term too and after the teachers strike came the virus closures so il be dammed if shes paying 9k for that term. She was also contracted to pay for halls in that fist year (£130 per WEEK) but luckily they saw sence on that and waved it as nobody would be staying

the wetlands

"I'm a student, paid full price for my course but haven't received a full year's tuition. My part time work is ongoing. I fear for the troubles that so many here may have yet to come. my daughter started uni last term too and after the teachers strike came the virus closures so il be dammed if shes paying 9k for that term. She was also contracted to pay for halls in that fist year (£130 per WEEK) but luckily they saw sence on that and waved it as nobody would be staying "

Is there an option not to pay ?

I thought fees were still being charged

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

Put yourself in your employers position good on them for not putting you straight on furlough, you have had several weeks of wages. There comes a point if a company can't pay its bills there has to be a decision made, I would think your company has been an honest one.

Glad to see you have compassion and respect for the company you work for!!

I think that speciality is somehow going to be busy

[Removed by poster at 22/06/20 02:13:01]

"Only just been furloughed last week which seems quite late in the game considering my company originally got denied the scheme (funny how they got it now. No doubt the fuckers just wanted us to work through the peek of this plus even our CEO died from it) but iam guessing now orders are complete or they cant get material to start other stuff or drivers so its basically a knock on effect as in we have work but do it. I actually hope I get made redundant to be honest fucking horrible company

Put yourself in your employers position good on them for not putting you straight on furlough, you have had several weeks of wages. There comes a point if a company can't pay its bills there has to be a decision made, I would think your company has been an honest one.

Glad to see you have compassion and respect for the company you work for!! "

you have no idea pal. Also the company made 220 million pound last year and theres only 39 of us. They can well afford to pay every one for time off

"I'm a student, paid full price for my course but haven't received a full year's tuition. My part time work is ongoing. I fear for the troubles that so many here may have yet to come. my daughter started uni last term too and after the teachers strike came the virus closures so il be dammed if shes paying 9k for that term. She was also contracted to pay for halls in that fist year (£130 per WEEK) but luckily they saw sence on that and waved it as nobody would be staying

Is there an option not to pay ?

I thought fees were still being charged"

fees yes but il definitely be fighting the charges for the first year when its time to pay back

By *verage JosephMan  over a year ago

Grays & London

For once I’ve been on the lucky side. Obviously I’ve continued working through all this. But the government have told us we’ve got cut backs coming our way!

"For once I’ve been on the lucky side. Obviously I’ve continued working through all this. But the government have told us we’ve got cut backs coming our way! "
yeah I'd expect taxes and the price of stuff going up on everything . They have billions to recoup

liverpool

"For once I’ve been on the lucky side. Obviously I’ve continued working through all this. But the government have told us we’ve got cut backs coming our way! yeah I'd expect taxes and the price of stuff going up on everything . They have billions to recoup "

Apparently the money shelled out on furlough is buttons compared to what was spent bailing out the banks.

By *verage JosephMan  over a year ago

Grays & London

"For once I’ve been on the lucky side. Obviously I’ve continued working through all this. But the government have told us we’ve got cut backs coming our way! yeah I'd expect taxes and the price of stuff going up on everything . They have billions to recoup "

They really do and the emergency services will always be the 1st thing to cut

"For once I’ve been on the lucky side. Obviously I’ve continued working through all this. But the government have told us we’ve got cut backs coming our way! yeah I'd expect taxes and the price of stuff going up on everything . They have billions to recoup

Apparently the money shelled out on furlough is buttons compared to what was spent bailing out the banks."

apparently? or do you have numbers to back that up?

also when the banks were “bailed out” the treasury got capital assets in exchange

this is all just pure expenditure , money out the door with no future revenue stream so not really comparable either

liverpool

"For once I’ve been on the lucky side. Obviously I’ve continued working through all this. But the government have told us we’ve got cut backs coming our way! yeah I'd expect taxes and the price of stuff going up on everything . They have billions to recoup

Apparently the money shelled out on furlough is buttons compared to what was spent bailing out the banks.

also when the banks were “bailed out” the treasury got capital assets in exchange

this is all just pure expenditure , money out the door with no future revenue stream so not really comparable either "

According to full fact a trillion was spent on bailing out the banks

this is all just pure expenditure , money out the door with no future revenue stream so not really comparable either

According to full fact a trillion was spent on bailing out the banks"

Nice round number. Sounds very true

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

According to full fact a trillion was spent on bailing out the banks"

According to fullfact £137billion was spent of which £110 had been repaid by July 2019. The trillion figure was a guarantee to restore public confidence...but hey what’s £863 billion difference. Reminds me when you said the NHS has an annual budget of £6 billion

liverpool

Nice round number. Sounds very true "

They have probably let them off with the 10 pence.

Slough

According to fullfact £137billion was spent of which £110 had been repaid by July 2019. The trillion figure was a guarantee to restore public confidence...but hey what’s £863 billion difference. Reminds me when you said the NHS has an annual budget of £6 billion "

Central government net worth 2007:

-£484bn

Central government net worth 2011:

-£1,127bn

liverpool

According to fullfact £137billion was spent of which £110 had been repaid by July 2019. The trillion figure was a guarantee to restore public confidence...but hey what’s £863 billion difference. Reminds me when you said the NHS has an annual budget of £6 billion "

Glad you have got such a good memory.

Wiki says £500billion.

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

According to fullfact £137billion was spent of which £110 had been repaid by July 2019. The trillion figure was a guarantee to restore public confidence...but hey what’s £863 billion difference. Reminds me when you said the NHS has an annual budget of £6 billion

Wiki says £500billion."

Indeed, but you quoted Fullfact who’s headline is ‘£1 trillion was not spent on bailing out the banks’ but you didn’t see the not...I can’t think why

the wetlands

Apparently the money shelled out on furlough is buttons compared to what was spent bailing out the banks."

Yes, and both were vital to the survival of the economy. So should they not have done it ?

And both will probably seem insignificant when we see the spending to finance brexit

Slough

Yes, and both were vital to the survival of the economy. So should they not have done it ?

And both will probably seem insignificant when we see the spending to finance brexit

"

I agree if by "vital to the survival of the economy" you mean robbing the poor to feed the rich

liverpool

Wiki says £500billion.

Indeed, but you quoted Fullfact who’s headline is ‘£1 trillion was not spent on bailing out the banks’ but you didn’t see the not...I can’t think why "

I did.I was mistaken.

Still a hell of a lot of money.

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Sadly I think there will be a lot more than we imagine when the full truth is known. Things aren't going to be anything like 'normal' for a long time and hospitality and retail in particular are going to take a massive hit

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Sadly I think there will be a lot more than we imagine when the full truth is known. Things aren't going to be anything like 'normal' for a long time and hospitality and retail in particular are going to take a massive hit "

Yes, I work in retail and our hours have been cut back to basic and there's still people on furlough. At least I went back when given the choice, the others might not be so lucky.

Our local DW Sports is closing down I found out today

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

After 66 years it looks like Percy Ingles the bakers will be closing.I believe most of their shops are in London and Essex.I hope the staffs are able to find suitable employment quickly.

Wiki says £500billion.

Indeed, but you quoted Fullfact who’s headline is ‘£1 trillion was not spent on bailing out the banks’ but you didn’t see the not...I can’t think why

I did.I was mistaken.

"

the independent quotes rishi as estimating £14bn per month (7 months is £98bn) plus &15bn grants and £10bn self employed help

so all is approx £123bn ... for no return

compare that with the banks £137bn of which £110bn was paid back so far (the remaining TFS funding is also repayable)... so all in £27bn with more due back

yeah correct its all a hell of a lot of money... but doesnt really make the point you thought it would when you look at the facts

Slough

Wiki says £500billion.

I did.I was mistaken.

the independent quotes rishi as estimating £14bn per month (7 months is £98bn) plus &15bn grants and £10bn self employed help

compare that with the banks £137bn of which £110bn was paid back so far (the remaining TFS funding is also repayable)... so all in £27bn with more due back

yeah correct its all a hell of a lot of money... but doesnt really make the point you thought it would when you look at the facts "

If that's true then what did we spend money on for Central government net worth to go from -£484bn in 2007 to

-£1,127bn in 2011? That's net worth taken from the balance sheet that considers assets and liabilities as you correctly pointed out.

Wiki says £500billion.

I did.I was mistaken.

yeah correct its all a hell of a lot of money... but doesnt really make the point you thought it would when you look at the facts

If that's true then what did we spend money on for Central government net worth to go from -£484bn in 2007 to

-£1,127bn in 2011? That's net worth taken from the balance sheet that considers assets and liabilities as you correctly pointed out. "

tbh i took the figures from the above post that was the same source as his original comment, but the independent also quotes it as £133bn (pretty sure this is the cash loans) i didnt check the governments full balance sheet ... feel free

Slough

Wiki says £500billion.

I did.I was mistaken.

-£1,127bn in 2011? That's net worth taken from the balance sheet that considers assets and liabilities as you correctly pointed out.

tbh i took the figures from the above post that was the same source as his original comment, but the independent also quotes it as £133bn (pretty sure this is the cash loans) i didnt check the governments full balance sheet ... feel free"

To be honest it's an insanely hard calculation to do properly. As in it's not just the cost of whatever the banks got, minus what we got back. You'd have to consider the stagnant economy and the effect that had on our currency and so on. I wouldn't call the furlough expense small, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it's smaller.

I might be ... but A bit of quick thinking and now i’m a gigolo

data in the guardian also back ups the approx £130bn in cash (both loans and purchasing shares)

presumably the guarantees that were up to a trillion were recognised on the balance sheet as contingent liabilities but thats just an accounting entry its not a cost (altgough will have added to the downrating of credit rating)

liverpool

Wiki says £500billion.

I did.I was mistaken.

tbh i took the figures from the above post that was the same source as his original comment, but the independent also quotes it as £133bn (pretty sure this is the cash loans) i didnt check the governments full balance sheet ... feel free"

Saw that in the indy..saying £14m a month but it's only been 3 months.

Reckons it will be £100 billion overall.

Its costs the banking crises as £138billion though wiki estimates its nearer £200billion

So if those figures are correct there isnt that much different bit it also shows the scale of the total fuck up the banks made.

By *obdoesitMan  over a year ago

Heswall

My job is safe.

liverpool

Bit confused £14b x3 (months)=£42b

£25b in grants etc

That's only £67b?

Where does the other £33 billion go?

"Bit confused £14b x3 (months)=£42b

£25b in grants etc

That's only £67b?

Where does the other £33 billion go?"

furlough is in place til october ,

april to october is 7 months

oh and read the articles not just the headlines ... £200 bn is what was budgeted not spent (also is wiki which can be amended by anyone really the best source of data to go against what 3 other media sources have quoted which are all ball park between £125-135bn)

Slough

Wiki says £500billion.

I did.I was mistaken.

tbh i took the figures from the above post that was the same source as his original comment, but the independent also quotes it as £133bn (pretty sure this is the cash loans) i didnt check the governments full balance sheet ... feel free

Saw that in the indy..saying £14m a month but it's only been 3 months.

Reckons it will be £100 billion overall.

Its costs the banking crises as £138billion though wiki estimates its nearer £200billion

So if those figures are correct there isnt that much different bit it also shows the scale of the total fuck up the banks made."

That's not really how I'd count it, but hey ho. Aren't you supposed to be a frothing mouth commy? At least under furlough the proletariat are getting the money and therefore a good percentage of it rebounds back to the government anyway.

Not yet

By *ickDastardlyMan  over a year ago

North East

I've worked through this, as a key worker, from the beginning.

On Friday I was told I'm losing my job on July 31st via email.

I had a feeling this was coming, and have prepared accordingly or at least as best I can. But my company have handled it terribly.

I'm hoping something else will come along but the job market at the moment is dire.

liverpool

"Bit confused £14b x3 (months)=£42b

£25b in grants etc

That's only £67b?

Where does the other £33 billion go?

furlough is in place til october ,

april to october is 7 months

oh and read the articles not just the headlines ... £200 bn is what was budgeted not spent (also is wiki which can be amended by anyone really the best source of data to go against what 3 other media sources have quoted which are all ball park between £125-135bn) "

I thought most people are starting to go back to work now?

the wetlands

Here's the real figures direct from HMRC

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/hmrc-coronavirus-covid-19-statistics?utm_source=ad21db6c-731d-49ac-b4d2-e181126a2b56&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Out work now ..

I'm do fire systems loosening mine in july

By *en_Dover79Man  over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

you can lose loose change but you can't loose lose change

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

Mine has just gone

But it's a beautiful day, let's party and have some fun

borehamwood

Just had e mail from work last one saidwe would be back end july begining august.latest e mail now saying we could be back in september,myself im thinking they probgona keep us on furlough till it ends then lay us off.am already looking at other jobs so if and whenit happens i got bit of headstart.also ready to go to claim benefits and get housing and council taxbenefit.nothing new about being made redundant its happend to me in the past andsure it will happen in future.shit happens andi will just have to get on with it

By *lutchieMan  over a year ago

birmingham

I'd count myself luck to be furloughed at the moment the place I work for furloughed a load of staff but yesterday I got told there was no work for me from next week having been told 4 weeks ago there might not be any work for a couple of months. It doesn't make sense to me why I wasn't put on furlough at that time I could have been on that instead of loosing my job totally

By *londie8399Couple  over a year ago

blackpool

They made me redundant 2 weeks ago and on the job hunt at the moment

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I’ve worked (hard) through Lockdown and seem to be ok.

But we’re in for one hell of a recession, and am concerned COVID may be back later in the year.

borehamwood

"I'd count myself luck to be furloughed at the moment the place I work for furloughed a load of staff but yesterday I got told there was no work for me from next week having been told 4 weeks ago there might not be any work for a couple of months. It doesn't make sense to me why I wasn't put on furlough at that time I could have been on that instead of loosing my job totally"

yep lucky to be furloghed till wenever but longer i am the more likley it is i not gona have a job to go back to.there was talk of a cpl if redundancys before lockdown was a thing so im guessing those couple of redundancys are still on the table plus however many more from lockdown.our busiest period is between easter and september so that pretty much takes care of thus years profits not coming in

By *asmartsCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

"I've worked through this, as a key worker, from the beginning.

On Friday I was told I'm losing my job on July 31st via email.

I had a feeling this was coming, and have prepared accordingly or at least as best I can. But my company have handled it terribly.

I'm hoping something else will come along but the job market at the moment is dire.

Good luck to you this must be terrible

"

"I'd count myself luck to be furloughed at the moment the place I work for furloughed a load of staff but yesterday I got told there was no work for me from next week having been told 4 weeks ago there might not be any work for a couple of months. It doesn't make sense to me why I wasn't put on furlough at that time I could have been on that instead of loosing my job totally

yep lucky to be furloghed till wenever but longer i am the more likley it is i not gona have a job to go back to.there was talk of a cpl if redundancys before lockdown was a thing so im guessing those couple of redundancys are still on the table plus however many more from lockdown.our busiest period is between easter and september so that pretty much takes care of thus years profits not coming in"

Are u actively seeking a new job ?

borehamwood

"I'd count myself luck to be furloughed at the moment the place I work for furloughed a load of staff but yesterday I got told there was no work for me from next week having been told 4 weeks ago there might not be any work for a couple of months. It doesn't make sense to me why I wasn't put on furlough at that time I could have been on that instead of loosing my job totally

yep lucky to be furloghed till wenever but longer i am the more likley it is i not gona have a job to go back to.there was talk of a cpl if redundancys before lockdown was a thing so im guessing those couple of redundancys are still on the table plus however many more from lockdown.our busiest period is between easter and september so that pretty much takes care of thus years profits not coming in

Are u actively seeking a new job ?"

while im furloughed cant take another job but yes am looking into a few things been at current job 10yrs and there good employers so rather stay but will hqve to wait and see

I wonder if it would be wise to step up your search. There’s nothing to stop u applying/interviewing for new jobs. See what’s out there & try and get ahead of this. I appreciate its tough out there but will be much harder I feel in 6 weeks time when a huge amount of employees also join the job search

By *lutchieMan  over a year ago

birmingham

I have already started looking applied for 30 or so posts at the same level and above and below where I am in my career and not had anything other than the standard "if you don't hear anything more...." Automated reply emails so the current market place is looking shit

borehamwood

"I wonder if it would be wise to step up your search. There’s nothing to stop u applying/interviewing for new jobs. See what’s out there & try and get ahead of this. I appreciate its tough out there but will be much harder I feel in 6 weeks time when a huge amount of employees also join the job search "

was talking to my m.d yesterday he is at our warehouse every other day for a few hours sending out the few online orders we are getting in.he was saying on the industrial estate we are in he hqs seen the offices of four different buildings being emptied out in the last cpl of weeks. so who knows whqts gona happen.reakon anyone who loses there job are gona be lucky to find anything this side of christmas

"I wonder if it would be wise to step up your search. There’s nothing to stop u applying/interviewing for new jobs. See what’s out there & try and get ahead of this. I appreciate its tough out there but will be much harder I feel in 6 weeks time when a huge amount of employees also join the job search

was talking to my m.d yesterday he is at our warehouse every other day for a few hours sending out the few online orders we are getting in.he was saying on the industrial estate we are in he hqs seen the offices of four different buildings being emptied out in the last cpl of weeks. so who knows whqts gona happen.reakon anyone who loses there job are gona be lucky to find anything this side of christmas"

alot of that will be companies who are going to keep their employees at home and save the lease costs, an empty office doesn’t necessarily mean all those jobs are gone

intu going into administration is going to be huge though, apparently up to 6000 jobs in glasgow alone

borehamwood

should re phrase that.the buildings are being emptied.warehouse out back offices out front.bout 50 units on our site hopefully no more will be going.know it not on the same scale as some but if our firm goes thats 130 odd pweps out of work.as for intu they own a massive centre in a nearby town to me if that goes it will be a good thousand gone from just that one centre

i work in aerospace we are losing a third of our workforce

borehamwood

"i work in aerospace we are losing a third of our workforce "

thats wat is worrying me.most of our trade is through airports around the uk and we usually have hundreds through the doors everyday with the distancing that just aint gona happen.will defo be lay offs at our place.only silver lining is ive been there years so hopefully that counts fir something wen the axe falls

borehamwood

so got an e mail from work yesterday informing us we are being kept on furlough till. end of september.so question is do i hang it out till then in the hope job is still there or i get some redundancy or cut my losses and try find something else now

"so got an e mail from work yesterday informing us we are being kept on furlough till. end of september.so question is do i hang it out till then in the hope job is still there or i get some redundancy or cut my losses and try find something else now"
Obvious answer to me would be to look and see what there is about whilst you're on furlough. Give yourself potential options. Or just watch Homes Under the Hammer and Tenables daily before you have your third wank of the day before a well earned nap. Then wake up and eat coco pops whilst still in your pants browsing Fab.

The problem has I see it will be jobs becoming vacant which are at present done by eastern Europeans low payed a lot of them are returning home with Brexit coming people may have to take these jobs with huge pay drop covid and Brexit are real disaster for the working man

"

while im furloughed cant take another job "

You can unless your contract with your current employer specifically states you can't have a second job.

"The problem has I see it will be jobs becoming vacant which are at present done by eastern Europeans low payed a lot of them are returning home with Brexit coming people may have to take these jobs with huge pay drop covid and Brexit are real disaster for the working man"

What ? You think it’s a problem for the economy that people will leave the country and open up jobs available for people to fill ? How is that a problem ?

borehamwood

"The problem has I see it will be jobs becoming vacant which are at present done by eastern Europeans low payed a lot of them are returning home with Brexit coming people may have to take these jobs with huge pay drop covid and Brexit are real disaster for the working man"

way i see it if as you say all these peeps are gona leave the country if the jobs are that low paid people wont do them until yhe rmployers pay a decent wage.if worst comes to the worst i could always work wiyh my brother lol

Minimum wage is minimum wage. I’m sure there will be plenty of people desperate to take those jobs rather than earn nothing

borehamwood

"so got an e mail from work yesterday informing us we are being kept on furlough till. end of september.so question is do i hang it out till then in the hope job is still there or i get some redundancy or cut my losses and try find something else now Obvious answer to me would be to look and see what there is about whilst you're on furlough. Give yourself potential options. Or just watch Homes Under the Hammer and Tenables daily before you have your third wank of the day before a well earned nap. Then wake up and eat coco pops whilst still in your pants browsing Fab. "

god no.ive managed to avoid daytime t.v for the most of furlough.if its pissing down t.v gies on if its not raining i try to be out most of the day

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

Yep been jobless since lock down. Fantastic.

borehamwood

"Minimum wage is minimum wage. I’m sure there will be plenty of people desperate to take those jobs rather than earn nothing "

ahh but stuff like the fruit pickin aint really minimum wage is it after they take all there bits away for sticking u up in a caravan.anyway they dont want settled peeps doing those jobs. see that from wen people applied for the jobs a cpl months back.no you must live on site ect ect.fuck it may get a few things lined up but qait and c if my job there still.if not well the bit of redundancy i get will at least clear my debts im getting into since furlough started

I potentially could...

I work in the theatre industry, with no dates set for when theatres are actually reopening, it really puts my job at risk.

Worked throughout, but getting parts is getting crazy hard right now. Everything comes from abroad. Work has slowed down since lockdown has been relaxed. Less moving round as people are saving more. Still ticking over but for me the supply issue will be the biggest killer for my job if it gets worse.

With the low pay issue, mimimun wage doesn't stretch too far when you actually have to live here. I know people who work here and send their wages back home and are able to support a family of many. These workers are willing to work hard and nothing else but work. They have a goal where they know that a few years of sacrifice working hard will mean security and opportunities for themselves later on. For us here, being stuck on that hamster wheel could mean a lifetime of hard work with no end in sight.

I risk losing my job as I was only new in January and am currently shielding, so doubt they’ll want me after this.

Lost my job last week !

I got sacked during lockdown for not being a 'yes' man, luckily landed another job with better terms but had to fight of 56 others for the job, its a tough world at the moment.