FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Supermarkets no more 24hour openings

Supermarkets no more 24hour openings

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Because of Covid we now go shoppinh as ee did years ago 8am ish to 10pm ish

So we now have come to terms with food shopping and the old school opening times.

Do we actually need to bring back the 24hour opening thing.!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

No. supermarkets need time to clean and sanitise products and shelves.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Yes because essential workers and those that work 12h day shifts still need to shop.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes because essential workers and those that work 12h day shifts still need to shop."

exactly this

We are a 24/7 society and some can only shop at certain times.

Thanks people

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Probably not 24 hours as they do need to clean a restock properly but I feel 8am until 10pm won’t be long enough come winter as people won’t want to be queuing out in the cold and wet weather.

"Yes because essential workers and those that work 12h day shifts still need to shop."

Yes .. but in general we work 3-4 x 12 hrs shifts so shopping can be bought in our days when not working

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

"Because of Covid we now go shoppinh as ee did years ago 8am ish to 10pm ish

So we now have come to terms with food shopping and the old school opening times.

"

yes I work really unsociable hours and struggle to buy groceries and petrol when Im working constantly all week. I need to leave the house at 7 am and get home by 11 pm. So I can't get fresh veg or fruit until my next day off. salad doesn't last for a week.

Shops open 7 days a week. No-one works shifts (as per contract) 7/7 days.

Falkirk

"Yes because essential workers and those that work 12h day shifts still need to shop.

Shops open 7 days a week. No-one works shifts (as per contract) 7/7 days. "

You can if overtime is offered or the job requires you to be there.

By *arvest 84Man  over a year ago

SCAWBY, NEAR , BRIGG.

when me and my wife go shopping now, we all ways look at the weather forcast, as we dont want to stand outside queing in the rain.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Why not let the shops themselves decide? If there is a demand for shops to be open between 10:00pm and 7:00am then some will remain open during those hours. If there is no demand then they won't.

I understand the need to clean etc but some shops are taking the Michael, yesterday Saturday Lacoste opened at 11am in the bullring Birmingham, no reason why they cannot open at a normal time

"I understand the need to clean etc but some shops are taking the Michael, yesterday Saturday Lacoste opened at 11am in the bullring Birmingham, no reason why they cannot open at a normal time "

Probably cause it not really an essential shop is it.... overpriced crap shop...

The other impact not mentioned.. thought of..is spreading the start/opening hours lightens to demand on public transport for staff...no minimum wage part time worker is gonna think it's cost effective to pay city centre parking rates when it's cheaper to get the bus or tram...and they are still t reduced capacity

"Yes because essential workers and those that work 12h day shifts still need to shop.

"

I pre-empted that response by stating as per contract!

"when me and my wife go shopping now, we all ways look at the weather forcast, as we dont want to stand outside queing in the rain. "

Might be best time to go as many people will think the same.

Falkirk

I pre-empted that response by stating as per contract! "

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

The supermarkets have to do what they consider safe, so that will mean closing for cleaning and restocking shelves, for however long it takes.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think the supermarkets have realised that it's cheaper to keep their shoes open for shorter periods and they have been doing very well from it, as people have been buying more things out of necessity, not being at work etc. Tesco express stores have readjusted to longer hours near to me but the former 24 hours stores haven't budged.

I'm not shopping at the restricted hours places, as they are too uncomfortable to visit during their current hours. They may realise at some point that people would shop there instead of competitors, if they opened longer but it will probably only be because of greed, to boost profits, as they have it fairly easy at present.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"when me and my wife go shopping now, we all ways look at the weather forcast, as we dont want to stand outside queing in the rain. "

So do we, there's normally no queue in the rain

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

No I don't think we do.

Shops open 7 days a week. No-one works shifts (as per contract) 7/7 days. "

thats just not true, if rotas are written 5/7 you could potentially be working 10 days in a row with your 2 off on either end ... and thats just 1 example

have you ever worked in a shift led environment before you talked garbage with such conviction?

I doubt it

Did many people really have to go shopping at 3.00 in the morning ?

Sure the handful who did can make other arrangements

thats just not true, if rotas are written 5/7 you could potentially be working 10 days in a row with your 2 off on either end ... and thats just 1 example

have you ever worked in a shift led environment before you talked garbage with such conviction? "

Yes! And 12 hour shifts in the NHS. You cannot be contracted to do 5/7 12 hour shifts. Oddly enough I do try to engage my (recovering) brain before I make statements. You should try it.

By *exy4youxxWoman  over a year ago

Pontefract

Yes .. but in general we work 3-4 x 12 hrs shifts so shopping can be bought in our days when not working "

You still need daily essentials though like bread and milk they wont last a week and if your like me you always forget to get something

have you ever worked in a shift led environment before you talked garbage with such conviction?

Yes! And 12 hour shifts in the NHS. You cannot be contracted to do 5/7 12 hour shifts. Oddly enough I do try to engage my (recovering) brain before I make statements. You should try it. "

1 not all shift workers work 12 hours

2 not all shift workers have the same terms and conditions as you , working time regulations have an opt out clause

3 try working management in retail/ hospitality and see how much a contract actually applies to real life ... ironically the people most likely to be working these shift patterns are the duty managers and department managers in supermarkets ... although knowing hotel management their situation often isnt much better

Supermarkets arnt open 24hrs here in Co Durham so makes no difference!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

have you ever worked in a shift led environment before you talked garbage with such conviction? "

Have you ever read the forum rules?

https://www.fabswingers.com/content/forum-rules

Can people remember to be civil when posting or you may find yourself on the wrong side of the rules.

By *aimeDWoman  over a year ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

Need to ? Probably not

Will do ? Probably will

Reason? Most of the shops that open 24hours already have staff in them stocking and cleaning etc anyway and with the rise of self service checkouts, it’s very little work/effort to open to customers at this time and creates extra income at the same time.

It’s a no brained r for the bigger shops that results in a win win for them

"Supermarkets arnt open 24hrs here in Co Durham so makes no difference! "

Thanks for your imput

Have you ever read the forum rules?

https://www.fabswingers.com/content/forum-rules

Can people remember to be civil when posting or you may find yourself on the wrong side of the rules."

Thanks.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To the question, not for me, I go shopping at around half 7 of a night as there are no queues and less people to try and avoid going the wrong way up an aisle and it is bad enough getting fresh stuff at that time so it doesn't fill me with confidence that all shelves would have fresh stuff at two in the morning.

"To the question, not for me, I go shopping at around half 7 of a night as there are no queues and less people to try and avoid going the wrong way up an aisle and it is bad enough getting fresh stuff at that time so it doesn't fill me with confidence that all shelves would have fresh stuff at two in the morning."

but thats because at the moment their distribution and restock routine is based on their current opening hours, ... the shop closes and a nightshift come out and restock the whole shop in ind go in time for opening

if opening hours are changed then so will the restock hours, much like it did when 24 hour shops existed before covid

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Not from my experience it isn't. Before lockdown we had to change our shopping time as if we went after a certain time there wasn't much fresh food on the shelves, mainly fruit and veg

By *ickDastardlyMan  over a year ago

North East

I lived in Australia for a while and over there supermarkets shut around 9/10pm at night, maybe an hour or two later in CBD's.

They have 7/11's which are the same as an off license open 24/7.

I'm someone who often shops at strange hours, so its an adjustment. But not a major one, I'm coping fine.

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

lots of couples in shops when there is no need obviously be one or two exceptions one person is enough to do the shop young uns take note and get responsible lol

Falkirk

"lots of couples in shops when there is no need obviously be one or two exceptions one person is enough to do the shop young uns take note and get responsible lol

"

I don't think there is a restriction on how many can go shopping. Maybe wrong.

chelmsford

"lots of couples in shops when there is no need obviously be one or two exceptions one person is enough to do the shop young uns take note and get responsible lol

"

In our supermarkets, it's one per household, unless you have to bring your young children with you.

Yes! And 12 hour shifts in the NHS. You cannot be contracted to do 5/7 12 hour shifts. Oddly enough I do try to engage my (recovering) brain before I make statements. You should try it.

1 not all shift workers work 12 hours

2 not all shift workers have the same terms and conditions as you , working time regulations have an opt out clause

3 try working management in retail/ hospitality and see how much a contract actually applies to real life ... ironically the people most likely to be working these shift patterns are the duty managers and department managers in supermarkets ... although knowing hotel management their situation often isnt much better

"

I was responding to a post about 12 hours and thought to myself the person has a point, until I realised that 12 hour shifts are not a 7/7 occurrence.

Falkirk

In our supermarkets, it's one per household, unless you have to bring your young children with you."

Asda in Grimsby I've seen full family's shopping. There is a restriction on how many can be in the shop at the one time so customers are counted in and out.

"I lived in Australia for a while and over there supermarkets shut around 9/10pm at night, maybe an hour or two later in CBD's.

They have 7/11's which are the same as an off license open 24/7.

I'm someone who often shops at strange hours, so its an adjustment. But not a major one, I'm coping fine. "

People who can adjust to change cope better than those who don't. We humans like routines and change can be seen as a dirty word/concept.

chelmsford

In our supermarkets, it's one per household, unless you have to bring your young children with you.

Asda in Grimsby I've seen full family's shopping. There is a restriction on how many can be in the shop at the one time so customers are counted in and out.

"

It's obviously better if one can cope from a household. If you have a family of 4 go in, it's 3 less people can go in, so the queues build up.

Falkirk

It's obviously better if one can cope from a household. If you have a family of 4 go in, it's 3 less people can go in, so the queues build up."

Its been not bad but then I go later in the evening.

I wouldn't attempt it during the day, especially at the weekend.

chelmsford

It's obviously better if one can cope from a household. If you have a family of 4 go in, it's 3 less people can go in, so the queues build up.

Its been not bad but then I go later in the evening.

I wouldn't attempt it during the day, especially at the weekend."

That's the best thing to do

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

We never used to have 24 hour shopping and, despite the reduced hours, people have still managed to eat.

This all started because supermarkets could get a few customers self serving while staff stocked the shelves.

I don't see any burning need to be able to buy Kenyan strawberries in December, let alone at 3am in the morning...

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"Because of Covid we now go shoppinh as ee did years ago 8am ish to 10pm ish

"

Yes. Bring back 24 hours opening. It provides jobs and commerce.

If you don't use 24 hour shopping - then don't. I don't use McDonalds lol - but I don't mind them being there.

If you have religious reasons for shops not opening 24 hours then do ask youself why Churches should be allowed to open on Sundays? lol.

All 24 hour shops will open once the pandemic is (more or less) over.

By *aimeDWoman  over a year ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

"We never used to have 24 hour shopping and, despite the reduced hours, people have still managed to eat.

This all started because supermarkets could get a few customers self serving while staff stocked the shelves.

I don't see any burning need to be able to buy Kenyan strawberries in December, let alone at 3am in the morning..."

Maybe there’s not a burning need but I can say that I found it massively helpful when I was on late shifts.

I’ve always been a night owl anyway so when I was in shifts that finished at 2/3am it was bliss to be able to pop to work afterwards and get what I need then rather than having to completely alter my body clock to get some food in.

Burning need? No

Convenient and what appears not much extra effort from the shop? Definitely

By *pmsldCouple  over a year ago

kettering

If the company has the demand for it then yeah should go back to normal hours once they can. Shops wouldnt open if they didnt have the customers who wanted the service and if people want it what's wrong with that ? It creates extra jobs that otherwise wouldnt be available.

"We never used to have 24 hour shopping and, despite the reduced hours, people have still managed to eat.

I don't see any burning need to be able to buy Kenyan strawberries in December, let alone at 3am in the morning..."

We never used to have 24hr shopping because it wasnt needed

Most women didnt work. They shopped daily and made home made pies for their husbands

That isnt the case anymore

By *ancs_tgirl_38TV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

24hr will be back by Christmas

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

Most women didnt work. They shopped daily and made home made pies for their husbands

That isnt the case anymore"

You're jumping back to the 1970's.

24 hour shopping is a far more recent thing.

Falkirk

"24hr will be back by Christmas "

This

"

24 hour shopping is a far more recent thing."

Why do you think that is? Whats changed in our society in the last few years?

With regard to people " still managing to eat" given the supermarket reduced hours. The majority of the population have been at home for three months

They have had all the time in the world to do food shopping

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"

24 hour shopping is a far more recent thing.

Why do you think that is? Whats changed in our society in the last few years?

With regard to people " still managing to eat" given the supermarket reduced hours. The majority of the population have been at home for three months

They have had all the time in the world to do food shopping"

Food for thought... Some of the European countries with a better quality of living than we, don't have 24*7 shopping.

Having some down time is necessary.

By *r NeilMan  over a year ago

mobile

Resetting this country especially is needed think it will be reverting back to a 3 day week.

A supermarket on every corner is not needed....

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Hi john here

Worked for a large supermarket chain perm nights for a few months over a xmas time and to be honest saw very few people after 11pm until 7am most nights so think 7-11 may be more than adequate for shops to be open also think shops should go back to being closed on bank holidays especially around xmas

By *ounty durham bbw coupleCouple  over a year ago

darlington

My local supermarket is only closing 6 hours a day now we soon be back to 24 hours opening its convenient for shift workers

Hi All

Everyone has valid points of views.

Thanks

"No. supermarkets need time to clean and sanitise products and shelves.

"

Tell that to McDonald’s, they’re going back to 24 hour in the next couple weeks

"Resetting this country especially is needed think it will be reverting back to a 3 day week.

A supermarket on every corner is not needed....

"

i assume you drive and wont be including less cars on the road in this reset of the country

".

Tell that to McDonald’s, they’re going back to 24 hour in the next couple weeks "

For the millions of junk-food addicts out there.

By *lack UhuruMan  over a year ago

Leeds/London

Once everyone goes back to work we will need to go back to 24 hour opening's of shopping stores.

We all work at different times during the day and night. A chef finishing at midnight who has just done a 12 - 14 hour day may want to go shopping at 12:30 in the morning because they've got a 5 day working week and kids.

On the otherhand someone like myself who does office work and will finish at 5, 6 or 7 in the evening can shop in the evening or weekend unless I have my son.

We are a 24 hour society and businesses need to be able to make choices according to public needs. So if we ever go back to normal I think 24 hour stores (Tesco's, Asda, etc.) will return.

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

They get days off though. As a Supermarket manager, I'd sling my hook if they tried to make us go 24 hour (we never have been.)

I'd argue the opposite to be fair. Close on Sundays and maybe extend opening times on the other days. Give workers a day with their families rather than a Tuesday and Thursday off while the people they love have to work.

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

By the way, not saying I dont think they will re open. They'll 100% reopen because there's profit there unfortunately.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"By the way, not saying I dont think they will re open. They'll 100% reopen because there's profit there unfortunately."

And what's wrong with profit? Profit makes for jobs. Profit makes for taxes. Profit pays your morgage or rent or lease. Profit pays you holiday pay. Profit pays your sickleave. Profit pays your childcare. Profit pays for healthcare. Profit pays for education.

It's not a dirty word. It's a doing word.

By *ighugs69Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

Did some part-time shop work mostly at nights moving shelving around & restocking.

The DIY stores were great since they were shut. The open supermarkets were a right pain in the rear. Couldn't leave any tools or equipment around, since some shopper would trip over it & make a claim.

It'll be hard enough doing that work & keeping your distance from other workers. Having the shop open as well would be a nightmare.

"Probably not 24 hours as they do need to clean a restock properly but I feel 8am until 10pm won’t be long enough come winter as people won’t want to be queuing out in the cold and wet weather."

And it won't be cold and wet at midnight?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

They get days off though. As a Supermarket manager, I'd sling my hook if they tried to make us go 24 hour (we never have been.)

I'd argue the opposite to be fair. Close on Sundays and maybe extend opening times on the other days. Give workers a day with their families rather than a Tuesday and Thursday off while the people they love have to work."

I'm with you buddy. Unfortunately the sense of entitlement we are breeding is not helping

.. Just because we want something.. Therefore it must be made available to me. I want my local coffee shop to open at 7am... But it doesn't. So guess what? I go when it's open.

Falkirk

I'd argue the opposite to be fair. Close on Sundays and maybe extend opening times on the other days. Give workers a day with their families rather than a Tuesday and Thursday off while the people they love have to work.

I'm with you buddy. Unfortunately the sense of entitlement we are breeding is not helping

.. Just because we want something.. Therefore it must be made available to me. I want my local coffee shop to open at 7am... But it doesn't. So guess what? I go when it's open. "

I fail to see the logic. The public demand is clearly there for 24h supermarkets as they exist.

Most of you seem to be living in your own ideal world scenarios.

It wasn't an issue before covid and as soon as they big chains get the go ahead, it won't be an issue after.

» Add a new message to this topic