FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > You can ge the virus twice

You can ge the virus twice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he Happy Man OP   Man  over a year ago

Merseyside

When will this end?

It has now been proven you can get the virus more than once.

The virus has mutated over 30 times. One of the mutations is 10 times more infectious than the original version. The mutations mean the current vaccines being worked on will probably be useless against the mutations.

I think the only way for single people to get a sex life back is to form a relationship with one person of the opposite sex.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"When will this end?

The virus has mutated over 30 times. One of the mutations is 10 times more infectious than the original version. The mutations mean the current vaccines being worked on will probably be useless against the mutations.

I think the only way for single people to get a sex life back is to form a relationship with one person of the opposite sex.

"

But is it not the case that the much more infectious strain is much less milder? Mutations don’t necessarily mean a vaccine won’t work, it depends on what the mutation is

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Any virologists or epidemiologists on Fab care to comment? "

Microbiologist here and no. I'm sick of spending ages writing loads of valid scientific info which is backed up with evidence, only to be called a sheep or dismissed in favour of people who think lizard people rule the world. Decided just to let the conspiracy theorists explain it all because apparently they know things that no-one else does. That's why there is never any proper source material, presumably

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 30/08/20 01:29:38]

London

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon."

You don’t seem to know what you are talking about at all. You certainly have no clue.

Do you realise that at least 4 people have been recorded as been reinfected, and that they’ve had it twice now ?

"Any virologists or epidemiologists on Fab care to comment?

Microbiologist here and no. I'm sick of spending ages writing loads of valid scientific info which is backed up with evidence, only to be called a sheep or dismissed in favour of people who think lizard people rule the world. Decided just to let the conspiracy theorists explain it all because apparently they know things that no-one else does. That's why there is never any proper source material, presumably "

"When will this end?

"

Very rare case though, think there are only a handful of confirmed cases of someone contracting it twice, out of 25m confirmed cases

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

This is all abit bloody dramatic, if 4 out of 25 million people got it twice, it's not exactly time to give up swinging forever and settle down. The way the virus is going seems to be it's possibly more contagious but less deadly which is a good thing.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Sourcs for the claims?

That's a lot of claims to make. There's a thread already about the published case of the guy who has had it twice. 2 more people wer afterards started as having it again it's currently very low incidence but follows what's been predicted.

The claim making the giant leap to propose vaccines won't work is spurious possible nonsense.

The mutations also sounds dubious in its conclusion.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

single people don't need to form relationships with another for sex, a nsa bubble agreement with the same person is enough

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"When will this end?

"

Been on wiki-shit ?

By *racy_JacksWoman  over a year ago

Derby

"When will this end?

"

The opposite sex? Is a symptom of the virus that it turns everyone straight?!

There have been 4 reported reinfections so far. That is not unusual or unexpected, people's immune responses differ. There is insufficient evidence so far to determine whethere most will be succeptable to reinfection or not.

There are many strains of almost all viruses. Covid has indeed undergone several mutations and there is evidence that one has become dominant worldwide. There is not any conclusive evidence as to why yet - one theory is that the dominant strain is more infectious but research is ongoing.

There is no evidence that any of the mutations seen so far will have any impact on the efficacy or otherwise of any of the potential vaccines under development.

Those are the facts as they stand today.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"When will this end?

"

You can catch all Corona Variety Virus's (Flu. Cold. Etc.) Every year. That's why there is a Flu Jab every year.

It will be the same once a Covid-19 Jab has been found - once a year or perhaps twice a year.

"When will this end?

You can catch all Corona Variety Virus's (Flu. Cold. Etc.) Every year. That's why there is a Flu Jab every year.

It will be the same once a Covid-19 Jab has been found - once a year or perhaps twice a year."

For the sake of accuracy - Flu is an influenza virus, not a coronavirus.

By *idnight_Express69Man  over a year ago

Rochdale

"When will this end?

"

Why does it have to be the “opposite sex”?

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"When will this end?

It will be the same once a Covid-19 Jab has been found - once a year or perhaps twice a year."

Flu is not a corona virus.

Afaik those who have caught it twice have a different mutation, certainly the one who made all the headlines did.

Cases are rising but hospital admissions and deaths,are not those are the two big bonuses,

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon."
I'm part of a research project looking at immunity. I do worry that come October and later anyone with symptoms of flu/ cold or any other virus will have to isolate like if they had covid..Although on the plus side that should help with all of the afore mentioned other viruses

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"When will this end?

Do you believe all this mutation rubbish?

"

"There have been 4 reported reinfections so far. That is not unusual or unexpected, people's immune responses differ. There is insufficient evidence so far to determine whethere most will be succeptable to reinfection or not.

There are many strains of almost all viruses. Covid has indeed undergone several mutations and there is evidence that one has become dominant worldwide. There is not any conclusive evidence as to why yet - one theory is that the dominant strain is more infectious but research is ongoing.

There is no evidence that any of the mutations seen so far will have any impact on the efficacy or otherwise of any of the potential vaccines under development.

Those are the facts as they stand today."

Your penultimate paragraph could be wrong, re Singapore study

"Effects of a major deletion in the SARS-CoV-2 genome on the severity of infection and the inflammatory response: an observational cohort study"

"When will this end?

Do you believe all this mutation rubbish?

"

RNA is unstable compared to DNA, so mutations are not only possible but likely for the survival of the virus.

North West

Mutations in viruses rubbish???? OK. I quit. Microbiologically, I am crying inside. Of course mutation happens. It happens in all living things, FFS. There is currently limited evidence that there is any more than one strain of Covid-19 circulating here in the UK (source: the Oxford vaccine group). The vaccine group are confident that the antigen they are targeting is unchanged over time (so far) and so the vaccine should still be efficacious. Whether it gives appropriately long lived immunity, we don't know. We don't know how long the natural immunity lasts either. Why? Because the disease has only been in circulation for less than twelve months, FFS. How do you expect scientists to learn these things about long term immunity when the virus was only properly identified and sequenced in January/February this year?

The level of scientific illiteracy in the world is frankly depressing.

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon. I'm part of a research project looking at immunity. I do worry that come October and later anyone with symptoms of flu/ cold or any other virus will have to isolate like if they had covid..Although on the plus side that should help with all of the afore mentioned other viruses "

Do you think there is any chance of anybody presenting with flu-like symptoms in October/November and this coming winter? Get real. You have been had.

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon.

You don’t seem to know what you are talking about at all. You certainly have no clue.

Do you realise that at least 4 people have been recorded as been reinfected, and that they’ve had it twice now ?

"

One in China....tested positive second time but no symptoms.(not much info given CCP policy)

3 in S. Korea. None with symptoms. Scientists there tried to culture virus from 2 of these but couldn't as they had no live virus present.

Actually some evidence that they had immunity....?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"When will this end?

"

Or same sex!

By *ing_Wookie_RodeoMan  over a year ago

stockport wasteland

"Mutations in viruses rubbish???? OK. I quit. Microbiologically, I am crying inside. Of course mutation happens. It happens in all living things, FFS. There is currently limited evidence that there is any more than one strain of Covid-19 circulating here in the UK (source: the Oxford vaccine group). The vaccine group are confident that the antigen they are targeting is unchanged over time (so far) and so the vaccine should still be efficacious. Whether it gives appropriately long lived immunity, we don't know. We don't know how long the natural immunity lasts either. Why? Because the disease has only been in circulation for less than twelve months, FFS. How do you expect scientists to learn these things about long term immunity when the virus was only properly identified and sequenced in January/February this year?

The level of scientific illiteracy in the world is frankly depressing. "

if your in the know ill take note

North West

"Mutations in viruses rubbish???? OK. I quit. Microbiologically, I am crying inside. Of course mutation happens. It happens in all living things, FFS. There is currently limited evidence that there is any more than one strain of Covid-19 circulating here in the UK (source: the Oxford vaccine group). The vaccine group are confident that the antigen they are targeting is unchanged over time (so far) and so the vaccine should still be efficacious. Whether it gives appropriately long lived immunity, we don't know. We don't know how long the natural immunity lasts either. Why? Because the disease has only been in circulation for less than twelve months, FFS. How do you expect scientists to learn these things about long term immunity when the virus was only properly identified and sequenced in January/February this year?

The level of scientific illiteracy in the world is frankly depressing. if your in the know ill take note"

I'm a microbiologist

stockport wasteland

P. S mutuations happen as was said on the matrix overall the human race is a virus on this planet, and we have evolved. There for virus evolve as science shows but if the transferable part of the virus is mutating is a different matter

stockport wasteland

The level of scientific illiteracy in the world is frankly depressing. if your in the know ill take note

I'm a microbiologist "

i like it you little lab geek i like it hehe

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The level of scientific illiteracy in the world is frankly depressing. if your in the know ill take note

I'm a microbiologist "

Yeah but no but, what does that even mean..

My mates mate down the black horse said his uncles told him about a website and all the truth of all the things ever is on it..

It's none subscription too so must be pukka..

in Lancashire

"P. S mutuations happen as was said on the matrix overall the human race is a virus on this planet, and we have evolved. There for virus evolve as science shows but if the transferable part of the virus is mutating is a different matter"

I'm not sure some have evolved massively at times but hey ho..

stockport wasteland

I'm a microbiologist

My mates mate down the black horse said his uncles told him about a website and all the truth of all the things ever is on it..

It's none subscription too so must be pukka.."

the nags head woulda been a better used name haha

I'm a microbiologist "

And you help keep me and my wonky brain on track

in Lancashire

I'm a microbiologist

It's none subscription too so must be pukka.. the nags head woulda been a better used name haha"

Oi..

I resemble that remark..

North West

I'm a microbiologist

And you help keep me and my wonky brain on track "

I'll poke you with a 200 microlitre auto pipette tip and whack you round the chops with a copy of Brock Microbiology. Will that do? Or should I hook you up to the mains and run you like a gel?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon. I'm part of a research project looking at immunity. I do worry that come October and later anyone with symptoms of flu/ cold or any other virus will have to isolate like if they had covid..Although on the plus side that should help with all of the afore mentioned other viruses

Do you think there is any chance of anybody presenting with flu-like symptoms in October/November and this coming winter? Get real. You have been had. "

well I already know people that have had cold symptoms recently... quick covid test and then going on about their business

By *osyredcheeksWoman  over a year ago

Plymouth

I'm a microbiologist

I'll poke you with a 200 microlitre auto pipette tip and whack you round the chops with a copy of Brock Microbiology. Will that do? Or should I hook you up to the mains and run you like a gel? "

Just your knowledge , although I'm partial to a spanking (when I get things wrong ).

North West

I'm a microbiologist

I'll poke you with a 200 microlitre auto pipette tip and whack you round the chops with a copy of Brock Microbiology. Will that do? Or should I hook you up to the mains and run you like a gel?

Just your knowledge , although I'm partial to a spanking (when I get things wrong ). "

Well, you're welcome. And I'll put Brock down, it's probably a bit much for a spanking

[Removed by poster at 30/08/20 11:29:06]

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon. I'm part of a research project looking at immunity. I do worry that come October and later anyone with symptoms of flu/ cold or any other virus will have to isolate like if they had covid..Although on the plus side that should help with all of the afore mentioned other viruses "
That is good and how does it feel to be part of the research there?

"This is all abit bloody dramatic, if 4 out of 25 million people got it twice, it's not exactly time to give up swinging forever and settle down. The way the virus is going seems to be it's possibly more contagious but less deadly which is a good thing. "

. this has always been the case with other viruses ... for example most kids get chicken pox once and never again... my friends son had it 4 times before he even reached school age ... everyone has different genetics so there must always be rare cases that dont fit the curve

North West

"This is all abit bloody dramatic, if 4 out of 25 million people got it twice, it's not exactly time to give up swinging forever and settle down. The way the virus is going seems to be it's possibly more contagious but less deadly which is a good thing.

. this has always been the case with other viruses ... for example most kids get chicken pox once and never again... my friends son had it 4 times before he even reached school age ... everyone has different genetics so there must always be rare cases that dont fit the curve "

Actually, he was just unlucky and his original infection reactivated several times, causing new symptoms. Once you have varicella zoster virus, you never get rid of. Most people's immune systems successfully suppress it, often for life, but some people don't. This is how shingles happens in adults - weakened immune system results in the reactivation of usually a childhood varicella zoster infection. Once you've had it, the virus remains dormant in the dorsal ganglion of nerves

"This is all abit bloody dramatic, if 4 out of 25 million people got it twice, it's not exactly time to give up swinging forever and settle down. The way the virus is going seems to be it's possibly more contagious but less deadly which is a good thing.

. this has always been the case with other viruses ... for example most kids get chicken pox once and never again... my friends son had it 4 times before he even reached school age ... everyone has different genetics so there must always be rare cases that dont fit the curve

Actually, he was just unlucky and his original infection reactivated several times, causing new symptoms. Once you have varicella zoster virus, you never get rid of. Most people's immune systems successfully suppress it, often for life, but some people don't. This is how shingles happens in adults - weakened immune system results in the reactivation of usually a childhood varicella zoster infection. Once you've had it, the virus remains dormant in the dorsal ganglion of nerves "

i knew you got shingles from dormant chicken pox virus but didn’t realise you could repeatedly get symptoms of chicken pox from same instance of virus thanks

i guess the point still stands though about him just being unlucky ... everyones body doesn’t react the same so 4 people out of 25m doesn't really help establish the new “rule”

North West

Actually, he was just unlucky and his original infection reactivated several times, causing new symptoms. Once you have varicella zoster virus, you never get rid of. Most people's immune systems successfully suppress it, often for life, but some people don't. This is how shingles happens in adults - weakened immune system results in the reactivation of usually a childhood varicella zoster infection. Once you've had it, the virus remains dormant in the dorsal ganglion of nerves

i knew you got shingles from dormant chicken pox virus but didn’t realise you could repeatedly get symptoms of chicken pox from same instance of virus thanks

i guess the point still stands though about him just being unlucky ... everyones body doesn’t react the same so 4 people out of 25m doesn't really help establish the new “rule” "

For not easy to explain reasons, probably similar reasons as to why Covid causes mild symptoms in children, this is why children (generally) get a mild illness with chickenpox vs adult shingles. And yes, he was unlucky, oerg something impacting his immune system ability to keep the virus dormant.

And agree on the reinfection with Covid too. At least two of the "reinfections" have been established to be the later shedding of dead epithelial tissue with inviable virus in it. The PCR test will still detect viral RNA, but the labs were unable to culture the viral samples so they weren't infectious. Shedding "dead" virus basically.

I'm a microbiologist

I'll poke you with a 200 microlitre auto pipette tip and whack you round the chops with a copy of Brock Microbiology. Will that do? Or should I hook you up to the mains and run you like a gel? "

I've tended to run gel electrophoresis at lower voltages...6-12v DC. Not sure AC mains would work really....the ions wkud just be doing a fast jig?

North West

I'm a microbiologist

I've tended to run gel electrophoresis at lower voltages...6-12v DC. Not sure AC mains would work really....the ions wkud just be doing a fast jig?"

It might give you a pleasant tickle

thanks kinky ... you always seem to know your stuff

out of interest are there any known viruses that leave our body completely? or do they all just stay there dormant?

thinking about herpes and stuff ... they say you always have its just probe to flares now and again , chicken pox can come back round, hiv you can suppress but not cure ... just wondering if a virus is something that once you have it you have it , it just might not be currently active

"P. S mutuations happen as was said on the matrix overall the human race is a virus on this planet, and we have evolved. There for virus evolve as science shows but if the transferable part of the virus is mutating is a different matter

I'm not sure some have evolved massively at times but hey ho..

"

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

You can ‘get’ and virus or infection a thousand times - vaccines aren’t an airtight bubble they don’t stop you catching it again

What they or indeed natural immunity do is by having something waiting for it either nail the infection with either no or minimal symptoms

That’s how most immunity works and indeed exactly what happened with the Oxford vaccine in the animal trials

By *arentsgonebadCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

I am a nurse and 100% have cared for a patient who tested positive was isolated for the 14 day period, was retested negative and then 24h before discharge to a care home was retested and again positive

North West

"thanks kinky ... you always seem to know your stuff

out of interest are there any known viruses that leave our body completely? or do they all just stay there dormant?

thinking about herpes and stuff ... they say you always have its just probe to flares now and again , chicken pox can come back round, hiv you can suppress but not cure ... just wondering if a virus is something that once you have it you have it , it just might not be currently active "

It depends on the virus. Some we clear completely eg influenza. Some integrated their genetic material into ours millons of years ago. Others, like retroviruses, integrate their genetic material into ours and can either lie dormant or remain active eg. HIV. Many herpesviruses lie dormant, we don't clear them. Viruses and some kinds of bacteria (intracellular = gets into cells) can "cloak" themselves and sit within certain cell types. If the immune system takes a hit for some reason, eg. other illness, age, drug treatment, stress, then the dormant microorganisms start to actively replicate again and cause symptoms. Examples include herpesvirus type 1 (cold sores), chickenpox virus etc.

Some viral infections are also linked to an increase risk of cancer because of the way the latent viral infection causes cells to behave. Examples include human papillomavirus (cancers of cervix and penis), Epstein-Barr virus (cancers of the face, head and neck; a type of lymphoma called Burkitts lymphoma). EBV is the causal agent of glandular fever.

Viruses are, for something that is not technically alive, bloody clever.

North West

"I am a nurse and 100% have cared for a patient who tested positive was isolated for the 14 day period, was retested negative and then 24h before discharge to a care home was retested and again positive "

This will be due to dead respiratory cells containing viral RNA being on the swab. If the lab tried to culture the viral material, it would not be viable. This phenomenon has been thoroughly investigated in South Korea.

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

BUT those symptoms of the common cold and flu are very similar to some of the covid ones, so by doing the right thing people should be isolating with a common cold, is that not correct?

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"I say you can get immunity from it, especially after a mild infection as the cells are storing information from the virus so it can fight it off again, it kind of works like other infections and viruses you get as afterwards you dont get it anymore, scientist are curently doing research on it too, having said that covid should not be confussed with normal flu symptoms as the winter months is starting soon.

BUT those symptoms of the common cold and flu are very similar to some of the covid ones, so by doing the right thing people should be isolating with a common cold, is that not correct?

"

No you go and get a covid test if positive you isolate if not go back to work.

If course it could be a skivers charter

in Lancashire

"

Someone might get away with it once but in the current and climate employers will probably just fuck someone off who tries it on without a test..

London

One in China....tested positive second time but no symptoms.(not much info given CCP policy)

3 in S. Korea. None with symptoms. Scientists there tried to culture virus from 2 of these but couldn't as they had no live virus present.

Actually some evidence that they had immunity....?"

The four cases being mentioned, refer to one person in Hong kong, one in Belgium, another in the Netherlands. And now, one in Nevada.

North West

This gives a fair assessment of the reinfection situation: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-is-a-repeat-covid-19-infection-possible/a-54700042

London

i guess the point still stands though about him just being unlucky ... everyones body doesn’t react the same so 4 people out of 25m doesn't really help establish the new “rule” "

**"...everyones body doesn’t react the same so..."**

------------------

Everyones body doesn’t react the same AND also every virus does not react the same. So you can't really compare chicken pox to covid 19.

In terms of immunity every virus reacts differently.

For example in the case of measles, when you are infected your body produces antibodies which give you immunity for the rest of your life.

On the flip side there is another virus called respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which causes mild, cold-like symptoms.

People develop antibodies in response to an RSV infection, but these antibodies only protect against severe disease over time, not re-infection. So the bottom line is you can't get any immunity from the RSV virus even though your body produces antibodies when you are infected the first time.

As you can see, their are two extremes here. One virus whose antibody response gives you life time immunity, and another virus whose antibody response gives you *no* immunity at all.

Most other virues fall some where in between these two extremes.

We don't know as yet where covid 19 immunity stands in comparison to these two viruses I've named above. We need a year or more of research and study to determine that.

It is too early to draw any conclusions at this stage.

"I am a nurse and 100% have cared for a patient who tested positive was isolated for the 14 day period, was retested negative and then 24h before discharge to a care home was retested and again positive "

False negative or false positive maybe? Aparently up to 5% of tests do that....

i guess the point still stands though about him just being unlucky ... everyones body doesn’t react the same so 4 people out of 25m doesn't really help establish the new “rule”

**"...everyones body doesn’t react the same so..."**

------------------

Everyones body doesn’t react the same AND also every virus does not react the same. So you can't really compare chicken pox to covid 19.

In terms of immunity every virus reacts differently.

For example in the case of measles, when you are infected your body produces antibodies which give you immunity for the rest of your life.

On the flip side there is another virus called respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which causes mild, cold-like symptoms.

People develop antibodies in response to an RSV infection, but these antibodies only protect against severe disease over time, not re-infection. So the bottom line is you can't get any immunity from the RSV virus even though your body produces antibodies when you are infected the first time.

As you can see, their are two extremes here. One virus whose antibody response gives you life time immunity, and another virus whose antibody response gives you *no* immunity at all.

Most other virues fall some where in between these two extremes.

We don't know as yet where covid 19 immunity stands in comparison to these two viruses I've named above. We need a year or more of research and study to determine that.

It is too early to draw any conclusions at this stage.

"

i wasnt suggesting that chicken pox and covid are similar more drawing out an example that demonstrates we can’t make conclusive assumptions based on only 4 people ... so pretty much your point that we don't have enough data yet

sheffield

[Removed by poster at 30/08/20 20:08:28]

sheffield

No such thing a a false positive its not plausable with our a contaminated swab which is again not possible, false negative yes however this was well. Past the 14 day isolation period or is possible to geth covid twice
"I am a nurse and 100% have cared for a patient who tested positive was isolated for the 14 day period, was retested negative and then 24h before discharge to a care home was retested and again positive

False negative or false positive maybe? Aparently up to 5% of tests do that...."

sheffield

For this to be true the swab would have to be prior contaminated and as the swab is done in a sterile environment this isn't plausable. Plus the patient in question was well past the 14 day isolation period he has 2 positive covid swabs and went from been asymptomatic to symptomatic back to asymptomatic and then symptoms again I work at Sheffield were we have one of the best infections diseases labs and centres in the entire country
"I am a nurse and 100% have cared for a patient who tested positive was isolated for the 14 day period, was retested negative and then 24h before discharge to a care home was retested and again positive

This will be due to dead respiratory cells containing viral RNA being on the swab. If the lab tried to culture the viral material, it would not be viable. This phenomenon has been thoroughly investigated in South Korea. "

North West

"For this to be true the swab would have to be prior contaminated and as the swab is done in a sterile environment this isn't plausable. Plus the patient in question was well past the 14 day isolation period he has 2 positive covid swabs and went from been asymptomatic to symptomatic back to asymptomatic and then symptoms again I work at Sheffield were we have one of the best infections diseases labs and centres in the entire country I am a nurse and 100% have cared for a patient who tested positive was isolated for the 14 day period, was retested negative and then 24h before discharge to a care home was retested and again positive

This will be due to dead respiratory cells containing viral RNA being on the swab. If the lab tried to culture the viral material, it would not be viable. This phenomenon has been thoroughly investigated in South Korea. "

The South Koreans and others have demonstrated that at 21 days+ post initial positive test, with a negative test in between, further positives are possible. It's not contamination, its true Covid-19, just not viable, infectious virus. It's dead cells from the respiratory tract, containing viral RNA. When labs have tried to culture these samples to see if the patient had a mutated strain or something, they could not culture anything. Definitely not false positives, which are nigh on impossible with the PCR test for Covid-19 (unless an infected lab tech sneezed on it or something?!)

Oh the aivety of some people its hilarious!

Ok for all those who clearly dont have a fucking clue about infections here goes.

You can be infected that bit is simple.

Your body develops antibodies and the virus can be eradicated from your body.

Now those antibodies exist for a time period in your body some weeks some years there is no specific time.

Now everybody can get reinfected this goes for all viruses not just covid and test positive however the antibodies on your body quickly eradicate it you are not immune that's just a fallacy its the fact your body can quickly eradicate it.

North West

"Oh the aivety of some people its hilarious!

Ok for all those who clearly dont have a fucking clue about infections here goes.

Now those antibodies exist for a time period in your body some weeks some years there is no specific time.

Now everybody can get reinfected this goes for all viruses not just covid and test positive however the antibodies on your body quickly eradicate it you are not immune that's just a fallacy its the fact your body can quickly eradicate it.

"

Sorry, which virus are you referring to here? There is no one single immune response to all viruses. The immune system and resulting immunity or lack thereof is dependent on the causal agent, as well as the host immune system.

Many viruses are never completely cleared by the immune system, both another poster and I have given some examples. Antibody mediated immunity can be short lived or longer lived, it depends on infectious agent. There's a reason tetanus booster is given every 10 years but we do not reinoculate adults against measles virus, if they had the vaccine as a child.

Possessing antibodies against a particular antigen means either any subsequent re-exposure to exactly the same antigen (that's the important bit) results in a short lived or mild set of infections, or might result in no transmissible infection at all, but an insufficient number of cells are invaded to cause symptoms, shedding etc.

Often we are not re-exposed to exactly the same antigen, due to mutation. That's why we can get multiple colds (lots of different and rapidly mutating viruses, not only coronaviruses), we can get multiple bouts of influenza etc.

Some viruses mutate rapidly, some less rapidly and some of the vaccines are against fairly stable antigens, despite mutation.

sheffield

Agreed

Sorry, which virus are you referring to here? There is no one single immune response to all viruses. The immune system and resulting immunity or lack thereof is dependent on the causal agent, as well as the host immune system.

Many viruses are never completely cleared by the immune system, both another poster and I have given some examples. Antibody mediated immunity can be short lived or longer lived, it depends on infectious agent. There's a reason tetanus booster is given every 10 years but we do not reinoculate adults against measles virus, if they had the vaccine as a child.

Possessing antibodies against a particular antigen means either any subsequent re-exposure to exactly the same antigen (that's the important bit) results in a short lived or mild set of infections, or might result in no transmissible infection at all, but an insufficient number of cells are invaded to cause symptoms, shedding etc.

Often we are not re-exposed to exactly the same antigen, due to mutation. That's why we can get multiple colds (lots of different and rapidly mutating viruses, not only coronaviruses), we can get multiple bouts of influenza etc.

Some viruses mutate rapidly, some less rapidly and some of the vaccines are against fairly stable antigens, despite mutation. "

Sorry, which virus are you referring to here? There is no one single immune response to all viruses. "

Nobody ever said there was try reading I knows I didn't.

North West

Sorry, which virus are you referring to here? There is no one single immune response to all viruses.

Nobody ever said there was try reading I knows I didn't."

I did read and the rest either was fairly flawed or muddled science or not entirely clear whether you were referring to viruses in general or to a specific one.

An example of flawed or inaccurate science: "Your body develops antibodies and the virus can be eradicated from your body."

This is false. There are many viral infections that we never eradicate and which lie dormant within cells. Examples include herpesvirus, human papillomavirus, varicella zoster and a whole bunch of others. Please do not tell me that this is wrong, because that is what was taught to me in virology lectures during my microbiology degree and what is acceptable and long standing scientific understanding.

Sorry, which virus are you referring to here? There is no one single immune response to all viruses.

Nobody ever said there was try reading I knows I didn't.

I did read and the rest either was fairly flawed or muddled science or not entirely clear whether you were referring to viruses in general or to a specific one.

An example of flawed or inaccurate science: "Your body develops antibodies and the virus can be eradicated from your body."

This is false. There are many viral infections that we never eradicate and which lie dormant within cells. Examples include herpesvirus, human papillomavirus, varicella zoster and a whole bunch of others. Please do not tell me that this is wrong, because that is what was taught to me in virology lectures during my microbiology degree and what is acceptable and long standing scientific understanding. "

Ooo you really need to read the word "can" was used not "will" you know the difference I presume as you appear not to be able to as I see it. Maybe you should have studied English.

"

Your penultimate paragraph could be wrong, re Singapore study

"Effects of a major deletion in the SARS-CoV-2 genome on the severity of infection and the inflammatory response: an observational cohort study" "

I haven't seen that yet, thanks for the pointer. I'll look it up.

Merseyside

"When will this end?

But is it not the case that the much more infectious strain is much less milder? Mutations don’t necessarily mean a vaccine won’t work, it depends on what the mutation is"

Sadly the new 10 times more infectious strain is not milder.

The virus is getting stronger as well as more infectious.

"When will this end?

But is it not the case that the much more infectious strain is much less milder? Mutations don’t necessarily mean a vaccine won’t work, it depends on what the mutation is

The virus is getting stronger as well as more infectious."

where is the evidence of this? cases are going up again but hospital admissions and deaths are not

"When will this end?

The virus is getting stronger as well as more infectious.

where is the evidence of this? cases are going up again but hospital admissions and deaths are not "

This! Saves me typing

Merseyside

You are wrong sadly.

This is not the first coronavirus we have come up against. Dutch scientists have said a few years back they did studies into previous coronaviruses. They warned with ALL previous coronaviruses they studied immunity from reinfection only lasted between 3 - 12 months. They warned herd immunity may not be possible with the current coronavirus,

It has now been proven beyond all doubt with the current coronavirus you can get reinfected.

You are wrong sadly.

This is not the first coronavirus we have come up against. Dutch scientists have said a few years back they did studies into previous coronaviruses. They warned with ALL previous coronaviruses they studied immunity from reinfection only lasted between 3 - 12 months. They warned herd immunity may not be possible with the current coronavirus,

It has now been proven beyond all doubt with the current coronavirus you can get reinfected.

"

You do talk crap (re last paragraph). Otherwise you'd state your source.

Merseyside

"

You are right. It has been proven you can get reinfected. People have had the virus twice. It appears immunity from reinfection only lasts for about 3 months.

Merseyside

"When will this end?

Very rare case though, think there are only a handful of confirmed cases of someone contracting it twice, out of 25m confirmed cases"

The fact some people had had the virus twice proves you are wrong.

Merseyside

"This is all abit bloody dramatic, if 4 out of 25 million people got it twice, it's not exactly time to give up swinging forever and settle down. The way the virus is going seems to be it's possibly more contagious but less deadly which is a good thing. "

Believe you and me I have rad a lot about this virus. It's not getting weaker. It's getting stronger and more infectious.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

"When will this end?

"

Do you no what else you can catch more then once, the Flu.

Merseyside

"There have been 4 reported reinfections so far. That is not unusual or unexpected, people's immune responses differ. There is insufficient evidence so far to determine whethere most will be succeptable to reinfection or not.

Those are the facts as they stand today."

Apparently the virus has mutated over 30 times.

"

Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Source it!

Merseyside

You are wrong sadly.

You do talk crap (re last paragraph). Otherwise you'd state your source. "

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/another-covid-19-reinfection-this-time-second-infection-was-more-severe/

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200824/study-confirms-its-possible-to-catch-covid-twice

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/some-people-can-get-pandemic-virus-twice-study-suggests-no-reason-panic

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/mutation-may-be-helping-coronavirus-spread-more-readily/

On average, the coronavirus accumulates about two changes per month

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/pandemic-virus-slowly-mutating-it-getting-more-dangerous

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/there-deadlier-covid-19-mutation-venezuela

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/south-korea-finds-new-mutated-coronavirus/1936968

Dudley

Believe you and me I have rad a lot about this virus. It's not getting weaker. It's getting stronger and more infectious. "

Stronger? Less people are dying and getting seriously sick from it, that does not show it's getting stronger. What makes you think it's getting stronger?

Merseyside

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-reinfection-case-confirmed-us.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-reinfected-hong-kong-covid-19-study-a9685571.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/two-metre-rule-outdated-as-sneeze-droplets-can-travel-eight-metres-study/ar-BB18n52d?li=BBoPWjQ

Merseyside

Believe you and me I have rad a lot about this virus. It's not getting weaker. It's getting stronger and more infectious.

Stronger? Less people are dying and getting seriously sick from it, that does not show it's getting stronger. What makes you think it's getting stronger? "

from stuff I have readon the internet.

Dudley

[Removed by poster at 30/08/20 22:35:07]

Merseyside

You are wrong sadly.

You do talk crap (re last paragraph). Otherwise you'd state your source. "

Have I give you enough sources now?

Dudley

Stronger? Less people are dying and getting seriously sick from it, that does not show it's getting stronger. What makes you think it's getting stronger?

from stuff I have readon the internet. "

Do you believe everything you read online? Many of your links just point to research or case studies that either haven't even been published or aren't peer reviewed, until they are, they are about as trustworthy as the opinion from Bob down the pub.

"Stronger? Less people are dying and getting seriously sick from it, that does not show it's getting stronger. What makes you think it's getting stronger? "

Fewer people are dying because we know more about who is most at risk. New cases are not from vulnerable people who are shielding, they're from young people going out to raves.

There is a theory that viruses tend to become weaker because the stronger strains incapacitate the hosts and limit their ability to spread.

The RNA of the virus can mutate without affecting the 'spikes' on the outside which antibodies bind to. Influenza has two types of spikes, hence the H1N1 type designations, where H is one type of spike and N is the other. What I'm not sure of is whether each year's flu is different due to mutations in the community or if a different strain re-infects the human population from other species. Anyone know how this works?

Dudley

"Stronger? Less people are dying and getting seriously sick from it, that does not show it's getting stronger. What makes you think it's getting stronger?

Fewer people are dying because we know more about who is most at risk. New cases are not from vulnerable people who are shielding, they're from young people going out to raves.

There is a theory that viruses tend to become weaker because the stronger strains incapacitate the hosts and limit their ability to spread.

The RNA of the virus can mutate without affecting the 'spikes' on the outside which antibodies bind to. Influenza has two types of spikes, hence the H1N1 type designations, where H is one type of spike and N is the other. What I'm not sure of is whether each year's flu is different due to mutations in the community or if a different strain re-infects the human population from other species. Anyone know how this works?"

It wasn't only the vulnerable shielding people that were dying before, there's no doubt in my mind that the virus has mutated and become less deadly.

Merseyside

https://www.gulftoday.ae/news/2020/08/18/covid-19-mutation-d614g-is-10-times-more-infectious

https://www.darkdaily.com/covid-19-is-mutating-and-a-scripps-research-study-reveals-the-coronavirus-may-become-even-more-infectious/

Dudley

"https://www.gulftoday.ae/news/2020/08/18/covid-19-mutation-d614g-is-10-times-more-infectious

https://www.darkdaily.com/covid-19-is-mutating-and-a-scripps-research-study-reveals-the-coronavirus-may-become-even-more-infectious/"

Thanks for that, exactly what I said, less deadly.

Merseyside

from stuff I have readon the internet.

Do you believe everything you read online? Many of your links just point to research or case studies that either haven't even been published or aren't peer reviewed, until they are, they are about as trustworthy as the opinion from Bob down the pub. "

Lol some of the links I posted are links to scientific websites. One of the links was to a UK newspaper.

Merseyside

"Stronger? Less people are dying and getting seriously sick from it, that does not show it's getting stronger. What makes you think it's getting stronger?

The RNA of the virus can mutate without affecting the 'spikes' on the outside which antibodies bind to. Influenza has two types of spikes, hence the H1N1 type designations, where H is one type of spike and N is the other. What I'm not sure of is whether each year's flu is different due to mutations in the community or if a different strain re-infects the human population from other species. Anyone know how this works?

It wasn't only the vulnerable shielding people that were dying before, there's no doubt in my mind that the virus has mutated and become less deadly. "

Where is your proof the virus is getting less deadly?

Have you noticed that there are more positive cases then death cases, not many new cases in the hospital I work at

It wasn't only the vulnerable shielding people that were dying before, there's no doubt in my mind that the virus has mutated and become less deadly.

Where is your proof the virus is getting less deadly?"

I have been reading that their a new strain originating from south ast Asia that is 10 times more infectious but 10 times less lethal.

They guy from Hong Kong that has been reinfected has that new strain.

Surely in the scheme of things a mutated strain like that is a bonus to us all.

You are wrong sadly.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/another-covid-19-reinfection-this-time-second-infection-was-more-severe/

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200824/study-confirms-its-possible-to-catch-covid-twice

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/some-people-can-get-pandemic-virus-twice-study-suggests-no-reason-panic

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/mutation-may-be-helping-coronavirus-spread-more-readily/

"

Not peer reviewed (which is common at present cos the virus is new, hence the research is).

Third link is same story as second.

Fourth link "suggestive not decisive".

All-in-all, not proven beyond all doubt but suggests people can get reinfected but by different strains. Through what we know of immune systems and viruses, this isn't unsurprising. But as stated before in this thread, such a small number of reinfections cannot be generalised, and is more likely an anomaly (similar is stated in one of the links, the first I think).

The guy had no ill effects either time he caught the virus.

Time to work on your immune systems.

If you rely on a vaccine, you'll need a new one every 5 minutes!

You are wrong sadly.

On average, the coronavirus accumulates about two changes per month

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/pandemic-virus-slowly-mutating-it-getting-more-dangerous

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/there-deadlier-covid-19-mutation-venezuela

"

In these two links, the articles are asking if the mutations are deadlier - and guess what, they don't confirm they are!

"

Not quite. In one of your sources it states there are expected mutations of 30 in a year, and as a virus these mutations are not as rapid as many. Of the many mutations, the behaviour doesn't particularly vary. So just how many strains there are, beats me.

from stuff I have readon the internet. "

Read it more closely. BTW your links are articles about studies rather than the studies themselves.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

"single people don't need to form relationships with another for sex, a nsa bubble agreement with the same person is enough"

Not if you are in a bubble with someone else already.

Multiple bubbles arent on the list.

But ppl do what they do.

London

It wasn't only the vulnerable shielding people that were dying before, there's no doubt in my mind that the virus has mutated and become less deadly. "

**"...there's no doubt in my mind that the virus has mutated and become less deadly..."**

-----------

And do you have any peer reviewed sources which prove that the virus has mutated and become less deadly ? Or is it something that's just 'in your mind' as you put it ??

PS: I am not saying that you are definitely wrong. I just think that more time needs to be given to study and research before we can draw any firm conclusions.

Dudley

**"...there's no doubt in my mind that the virus has mutated and become less deadly..."**

-----------

And do you have any peer reviewed sources which prove that the virus has mutated and become less deadly ? Or is it something that's just 'in your mind' as you put it ??

PS: I am not saying that you are definitely wrong. I just think that more time needs to be given to study and research before we can draw any firm conclusions."

I'm not saying it's definite, I'm saying what I think, it's called an opinion. Less people are getting seriously ill and dying, what conclusion would that lead you to? I'm basing my opinion on the facts and figures.

London

-----------

PS: I am not saying that you are definitely wrong. I just think that more time needs to be given to study and research before we can draw any firm conclusions.

I'm not saying it's definite, I'm saying what I think, it's called an opinion. Less people are getting seriously ill and dying, what conclusion would that lead you to? I'm basing my opinion on the facts and figures. "

**".. I'm saying what I think.."**

--------------

And that's exactly what I thought

North West

The RNA of the virus can mutate without affecting the 'spikes' on the outside which antibodies bind to. Influenza has two types of spikes, hence the H1N1 type designations, where H is one type of spike and N is the other. What I'm not sure of is whether each year's flu is different due to mutations in the community or if a different strain re-infects the human population from other species. Anyone know how this works?"

*Takes a deep breath*

OK, so the question is about how the flu virus mutates. Disclaimer: we know influenza viruses (all of them) are not the same as coronaviruses.

The H and the N when describing influenza viruses refer to the two types of glycoprotein that form the outer spikes. H = haemagluttinin and N = neuraminidase. I can't draw a diagram here but you can find decent diagrams on BBC Bitesize science, quite frankly. Influenza spike proteins are subject to considerable mutation - mutations occur in the viral RNA, which when "read" by the intracellular machinery of the host animal's cells, will translate into a slightly different version of the haemagluttinin or neuraminidase. Mutation in these proteins can only occur if the RNA sequence changes - all mutations are changes in the RNA or DNA sequence that encodes a specific protein. Perhaps some definitions:

Gene = a sequence of genetic material that encodes a specific, single protein

Protein = a biological molecule that is formed from amino acid building blocks, formed when a gene is "read" by the ribosomes found within cells.

Viruses lack this "reading" machinery, hence the need to invade cells, to hijack the protein assembly tools of the cell.

So, mutation always involves a change to a genetic sequence.

The sequences in influenza that encode H and N mutate fairly readily and enable influenza to continue to infect new hosts all the time, hence the need for seasonal changes to the vaccine we use.

Coronaviruses in general have fairly stable spike protein genetics and the current evidence is no different for SARS-CoV-2. Evidence from the Oxford vaccine group, who are using the coronavirus spikes for it's vaccine target, is that despite some mutations in the RNA, there is no overall antigenic change in the spike protein. This is why they are confident the vaccine will at least work in that respect. The issue is for how long will immunity last and we don't know that yet - too early.

In biology overall, mutations can be categorised in many different ways, but broadly, you can describe mutations as:

- Silent - changes in the genetic sequence cause no overall changes to the resulting protein. This is possible because biology has only 20 amino acids (think of them as "words") but far more than 20 ways of "spelling" those words. It's a bit like Ceri, Keri, Kerry - different spellings but the same name/word.

- Deletions - changes in the genetic information causes one or more amino acids to change, due to deletion within the "words". So, maybe "house" becomes "hose" because the U is deleted. The word is different and has a totally different meaning.

- Insertions - similar to deletions, except now the "spelling" changes because the original "word" has extra letters e.g. limb and limbic. Again, adding "letters" fundamentally changes the spelling and the meaning.

I hope the analogies work?

In general terms, infectious organisms are most effective when they spread from multiple hosts for as long as possible. Killing the host rapidly, perhaps before symptoms even set in, means less opportunity to spread, to infect more viable cells and the infectious agent risks dying out. Remember, viruses are not alive, they can't think, so this is not conscious decision making. Most mutations in biology are silent, so they don't cause massive changes initially. However, after many generations and accumulation of mutations, changes often do happen. It is far more likely from the pure biological sense that a virus will mutate towards enabling the host to live and to spread the disease for longer. Asymptomatic spread is an excellent way of doing this because the host stays well. Symptoms like coughing, sneezing etc are the mechanism of transmission and so that's why they aid in the spread. For effective asymptomatic spread, there needs to be a mode of transmission that doesn't result in symptoms, hence the focus on "normal" respiratory droplets from talking, singing and generally being human.

Hope this helps. I normally teach this kind of biochemistry with Post It notes and a bunch of different coloured shapes, plus other visual aids, so a little bit challenging.

North West

PS: for anyone wanting to understand how genetic information becomes protein, look at any A level Biology text about transcription and translation. That will explain it from the animal cell perspective.

Merseyside

-----------

I'm not saying it's definite, I'm saying what I think, it's called an opinion. Less people are getting seriously ill and dying, what conclusion would that lead you to? I'm basing my opinion on the facts and figures. "

Has your thinking been peer reviewed?

Dudley

-----------

I'm not saying it's definite, I'm saying what I think, it's called an opinion. Less people are getting seriously ill and dying, what conclusion would that lead you to? I'm basing my opinion on the facts and figures.

--------------

And that's exactly what I thought "

I didn't claim otherwise. However, OP is claiming he has evidence, he doesn't.

Dudley

-----------

Has your thinking been peer reviewed?"

I'm not claiming to have evidence, you are.

London

-----------

--------------

I didn't claim otherwise. However, OP is claiming he has evidence, he doesn't. "

Easy madam, nothing personal I was just pulling your leg, hence the green man after my comments. You are entitled to your opinion and I wasn’t saying your opinion was wrong.

Have a nice day.

Dudley

-----------

--------------

I didn't claim otherwise. However, OP is claiming he has evidence, he doesn't.

Easy madam, nothing personal I was just pulling your leg, hence the green man after my comments. You are entitled to your opinion and I wasn’t saying your opinion was wrong.

Have a nice day. "

» Add a new message to this topic