FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > How would our generations cope with the Blitz?

How would our generations cope with the Blitz?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Curfews, No lights visible at night time, air raid shelters & loved ones dying.

I bet our reaction would be

Dont tell us what to do! We have rights you know!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Don’t mention the war.

By *incscarcoupleCouple  over a year ago

GRIMSBY

Very true, they couldn't cope slowly proving that the human race is doomed

majority these days definitely 'lack moral fibre' haha

By *oneyBear100Couple  over a year ago

Gatwick area

"Curfews, No lights visible at night time, air raid shelters & loved ones dying.

Dont tell us what to do! We have rights you know!"

Keep those that want lights on and their freedoms in a cluster. Nice easy target and darwinism awards at it's best

It’s like the 4 Yorkshireman sketch in here at times.

I suspect covid sceptics like myself would be very happy to fight against an evil regime that wanted to take our rights away. Unlike the bed wetting worriers who are scared to death of a flu blown out of all proportion by the government and MSM.

The current government is increasingly taking away our hard won liberties that the ww2 generation faught and died for . And for what ?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"Curfews, No lights visible at night time, air raid shelters & loved ones dying.

They'd be so busy whinging about human rights and control consipicies they'd all be speaking german in a month ffs

The stuff upper lip is well fucked

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Yes one wonders how those that are hiding behind there Sofas would have made it through the war

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a bit farcical the claimed bardships that people are under, compared to fleeing refugees, or what our we elder families endured during hardships.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

They'd be so busy whinging about human rights and control consipicies they'd all be speaking german in a month ffs

The stuff upper lip is well fucked"

there were good reasons for the lockdowns , blackouts in the blitz, if you put a light on you were risking whole cities being destroyed, having a curfew for a virus is madness knee jerk reaction from a clueless gov, trying to be seen to be doing something, does the virus only come out at night?

oh and also my grandad was a warden in london in the war, and he was plenty busy arresting the idiots who didnt follow the rules, some people wernt much better back then either, every generation has its share of stupid

By *aastyKnixWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I ain't wearing no gas mask. It's an infringement of my human rights, and don't tell me to put my lights out at night,this is becoming a totalitarian police state like Germany under the,,,,,,err hang on, I haven't thought this through properly.

In Ww2 the threat was real. Stupid analogy and insulting to the people who were there

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

It may be different as fighting a world war and a dangerous pandemic which has been handled comically bad are slightly different.

Ugh! Cause it's exactly the same eh?!

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

Simple answer. We wouldn't, I'm sure the majority would be fine, but some idiots would go dancing off into the night covered in neon glowing flashing lights just because they feel they are being forced into something. Not giving a toss that their action could kill thousands.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

The stuff upper lip is well fucked"

Lol very true ..

It seems this current generation are purely keyboard warriors very brave at typing !

Lol very true ..

It seems this current generation are purely keyboard warriors very brave at typing ! "

The irony. People of both sides have spent months busily typing away and achieving diddly squat.

Sussex

Lol very true ..

It seems this current generation are purely keyboard warriors very brave at typing !

The irony. People of both sides have spent months busily typing away and achieving diddly squat."

Some sacrificing/ risking their health on the front line of the NHS and other silly people protesting their civil rights are comprised

Today's society especiallythe younger end has shown countless times that as a whole they'd be fucked if they had to face something like society had to 70 years

Today's society especiallythe younger end has shown countless times that as a whole they'd be fucked if they had to face something like society had to 70 years"

True makes you wonder how we have an armed forces, or we have police officers running towards terrorists, or nurses working in covid wards.

But apart from that what have numerous generations of young people done for us.

Sussex

Today's society especiallythe younger end has shown countless times that as a whole they'd be fucked if they had to face something like society had to 70 years"

I think they would have soon rolled over complaint of health and safety as the bombs dropped and then learned German ...

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"Yes one wonders how those that are hiding behind there Sofas would have made it through the war"

bit of a stupid comment really, by definition of you want to get through it you have to be alive at the end.

during the war many smart people survived, most stupid people died

Your not comparing the blitz to covid surely!?

[Removed by poster at 29/09/20 16:08:01]

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Why do people confuse the blitz with covid19? Why do people assume that the current generation has less backbone and moral fibre than previous generations? How insulting towards front line workers.

Questioning authority isn't a bad thing and you shouldn't believe the propaganda you're fed about compliance in WW2. It wasn't all like an Ealing comedy with cheerful cockney sparrows singing in the air raid shelters. Plenty of people said "sod it" when the sirens went and just hid under the kitchen table.

"Why do people confuse the blitz with covid19? Why do people assume that the current generation has less backbone and moral fibre than previous generations? How insulting towards front line workers.

Questioning authority isn't a bad thing and you shouldn't believe the propaganda you're fed about compliance in WW2. It wasn't all like an Ealing comedy with cheerful cockney sparrows singing in the air raid shelters. Plenty of people said "sod it" when the sirens went and just hid under the kitchen table. "

Quite right not to compare, if your neighbors hid under the table in the blitz instead of going to a shelter like instructed, they didn't get you blown up as well.

"Yes one wonders how those that are hiding behind there Sofas would have made it through the war

bit of a stupid comment really, by definition of you want to get through it you have to be alive at the end.

"

So stupid people die in wars.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Why do people confuse the blitz with covid19? Why do people assume that the current generation has less backbone and moral fibre than previous generations? How insulting towards front line workers.

Questioning authority isn't a bad thing and you shouldn't believe the propaganda you're fed about compliance in WW2. It wasn't all like an Ealing comedy with cheerful cockney sparrows singing in the air raid shelters. Plenty of people said "sod it" when the sirens went and just hid under the kitchen table.

Quite right not to compare, if your neighbors hid under the table in the blitz instead of going to a shelter like instructed, they didn't get you blown up as well. "

A good point well made.

I still don't think it's fair to compare people now to people then unfavourably.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Yes one wonders how those that are hiding behind there Sofas would have made it through the war

"

Erm... what are you basing that on. Plenty of smart military personnel died, plenty of smart civilians were bombed

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'll tell that to my 29 year old niece who has just recovered from covid, contracted while working as a critical care nurse and my nephew who's an officer in the met.

So stupid people die in wars. "

Sounds like something trump said about losers get killed in wars

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Questioning authority isn't a bad thing and you shouldn't believe the propaganda you're fed about compliance in WW2. It wasn't all like an Ealing comedy with cheerful cockney sparrows singing in the air raid shelters. Plenty of people said "sod it" when the sirens went and just hid under the kitchen table. "

It's not all of the current generation but a lot. There are many great examples of people working at risk to themselves, helping others etc etc, but you only have to read some of the comments on this site and from other sources to know that lots today are scared of anything, compared to those who fought and lived through WW1 and 2 we are a shambles,not everyone but too many, God help us if something serious came along.

covid-19 is different to the war

Youngsters more informed today

My old man enlisted as soon as he was 17 in 1944 didnt set foot again in the uk untill 1952

But youths of today would enlist like him its just they cant see the danger of covid-19

So dont worry about it

"Yes one wonders how those that are hiding behind there Sofas would have made it through the war"

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Sales as any generation

They would have coped

Lol very true ..

The irony. People of both sides have spent months busily typing away and achieving diddly squat.

Some sacrificing/ risking their health on the front line of the NHS and other silly people protesting their civil rights are comprised "

Im both

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's not all of the current generation but a lot. There are many great examples of people working at risk to themselves, helping others etc etc, but you only have to read some of the comments on this site and from other sources to know that lots today are scared of anything, compared to those who fought and lived through WW1 and 2 we are a shambles,not everyone but too many, God help us if something serious came along."

People were scared in the two world wars. My dad talks about hiding under the kitchen table when an enemy plane flew over on its way home firing its bullets indiscriminately in broad daylight. He was 14 and absolutely terrified. You'd have to be really daft not to be afraid of war.

think the modern generation would be more scared of bombs falling on their heads than an invisible illness that is so distant to most

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I genuinely don't get it. Do some people really think that nobody was scared during either of the world wars?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Rose tinted delusions, the cenotaph every year has plenty of this younger generation who are remembering their lost comrades from very recent conflicts..

my dad who grew up in the war told me there was similar anti social behaviour in the blitz as there is now... boys will be boys in any era

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Simple answer is not at all.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"I suspect covid sceptics like myself would be very happy to fight against an evil regime that wanted to take our rights away. Unlike the bed wetting worriers who are scared to death of a flu blown out of all proportion by the government and MSM.

The current government is increasingly taking away our hard won liberties that the ww2 generation faught and died for . And for what ? "

By *rx1Couple  over a year ago

Okehampton

"Simple answer. We wouldn't, I'm sure the majority would be fine, but some idiots would go dancing off into the night covered in neon glowing flashing lights just because they feel they are being forced into something. Not giving a toss that their action could kill thousands. "

But the amount of houses bombed in the last hour has reduced considerably and it's mainly the elderly who are dying so they should have blackout blinds, not people like me.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I suspect covid sceptics like myself would be very happy to fight against an evil regime that wanted to take our rights away. Unlike the bed wetting worriers who are scared to death of a flu blown out of all proportion by the government and MSM.

The current government is increasingly taking away our hard won liberties that the ww2 generation faught and died for . And for what ? "

I doubt you would say it was fake news,your lives have been to soft

upton wirral

But the amount of houses bombed in the last hour has reduced considerably and it's mainly the elderly who are dying so they should have blackout blinds, not people like me."

Selfish bastards

upton wirral

"

Maybe partially true

"It’s like the 4 Yorkshireman sketch in here at times."

Lots of people could only hide under their kitchen tables because Anderson shelters were the preserve of the well off.

People were banned from using the underground to shelter and the gates were locked until they were forced open by the working class desperate for some protection.

The rich were safe and the poor were left to fend for themselves, so rather like any period of Conservative government before or since, really.

Lots of people could only hide under their kitchen tables because Anderson shelters were the preserve of the well off.

People were banned from using the underground to shelter and the gates were locked until they were forced open by the working class desperate for some protection.

The rich were safe and the poor were left to fend for themselves, so rather like any period of Conservative government before or since, really."

By *yesgreenMan  over a year ago

north and south

The rich were safe and the poor were left to fend for themselves, so rather like any period of Conservative government before or since, really. "

Its a big fire would anyone deliberately Walk through the centre without at least trying to avoid it

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Gotta be honest.

Mr.J and I watched a programme on something like this last year about modern era coping with the 1940s methods of coping during wartime England and for a laugh we gave it a go on our own.

No phones, no Internet, no tablets or laptop, literally boxed all the tech and went to basics.

I made it through the first day and cracked. Mr.J could have still been going with this now.

The conclusion is... I have no resolve and would have been dead the first day of the war.

Covid is bad enough but wartime era... Not a chance

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"Don’t mention the war. "

Wow another post like this

bournemouth

"I genuinely don't get it. Do some people really think that nobody was scared during either of the world wars? "

Of course they were scared but they just got on with it, heard some students on the radio saying the government had ruined their life by bringing in these restrictions and compared the uni quarantine to being in prison, FFS it's two weeks those growing up during ww2 had five years of restrictions.

Hong kong flu caused an estimated million deaths from a world population half of today's. We didnt cause such damage to the economy as this has.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

My Dad was in the London East end during the war, as a child, he's says Covid is far worse than the war...

bournemouth

"My Dad was in the London East end during the war, as a child, he's says Covid is far worse than the war..."

The uk suffered 450 000 deaths from a population of 46 million that would equate to 650, 000 deaths from covid, young people lost five years of their youth, rationing etc etc, I doubt many would swap

"My Dad was in the London East end during the war, as a child, he's says Covid is far worse than the war...

The uk suffered 450 000 deaths from a population of 46 million that would equate to 650, 000 deaths from covid, young people lost five years of their youth, rationing etc etc, I doubt many would swap"

Ah but they didn't have them figured 8 months into the war did they...let's see where we are in 4 and a half years time eh...

bournemouth

"My Dad was in the London East end during the war, as a child, he's says Covid is far worse than the war...

The uk suffered 450 000 deaths from a population of 46 million that would equate to 650, 000 deaths from covid, young people lost five years of their youth, rationing etc etc, I doubt many would swap

Ah but they didn't have them figured 8 months into the war did they...let's see where we are in 4 and a half years time eh..."

Around 43 000 died in the blitz which lasted 8 months 2 million house were destroyed

Ah but they didn't have them figured 8 months into the war did they...let's see where we are in 4 and a half years time eh...

Around 43 000 died in the blitz which lasted 8 months 2 million house were destroyed "

So we are on par with the deaths then so far...I know we've not lost the houses.

But the war has ended. This hasn't so it's hard to make to many comparisons at this stage.

liverpool

Presumably there have been no young people working in the nhs etc.?

liverpool

People also haven't heard of the thriving black market at the time.

liverpool

"I genuinely don't get it. Do some people really think that nobody was scared during either of the world wars? "

Its incredible isnt it?

Apart from the fact that the comparison being utterly ridiculous.

Today's society especiallythe younger end has shown countless times that as a whole they'd be fucked if they had to face something like society had to 70 years

I'll tell that to my 29 year old niece who has just recovered from covid, contracted while working as a critical care nurse and my nephew who's an officer in the met. "

I'm on about society in general, you're taking it personal and applying it to someone you know.

Big difference really and more to the point you're totally missing my gist.

liverpool

I'll tell that to my 29 year old niece who has just recovered from covid, contracted while working as a critical care nurse and my nephew who's an officer in the met.

I'm on about society in general, you're taking it personal and applying it to someone you know.

"

Or maybe its easier to stigmatise 1 sector of society.

After all its what we do best.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

I'm not missing your gist, you're claiming that the younger members of society couldn't cope with WW2. I don't agree and was using individual examples.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

True makes you wonder how we have an armed forces, or we have police officers running towards terrorists, or nurses working in covid wards.

But apart from that what have numerous generations of young people done for us.

"

Some kids put a lot of people to shame.

9-year-old from Bremerton, Washington, her inspiration came from meeting a homeless man named Edward on the side of the street. Hailey asked her mom if they could help him, so they bought him lunch. But helping one man wasn't enough for this extraordinary little girl: She then started a garden to donate produce to those in need, the beginning of Hailey's Harvest.

By *indobona_1TV/TS  over a year ago

Tring

I think that the courage of today's generation may be underestimated faced with a similar situation to WW1 and WW2. There was also the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-20 which killed many more than WW1 worldwide. In WW2, after May 10 1940, the homeland was under direct threat. People were (rightly IMHO) scared of gas attacks, terror bombing as seen in the Spanish civil war and Poland, bombing and potential invasion. Government propaganda (including ridiculous feature films) helped raise spirits in the worst of times. Recovery both in infrastructure and finance from WW2 took decades (mind you, it was great fun playing as a child on a bombsite!).

But times are different. Apart from the current bug which is terrifying the nation and quite inept government propaganda, we have weapons of mass destruction unimaginable in WW2. Gas attacks like Sarin or other nerve agents are available, nuclear weapons on ICBM's, germ warfare are possibilities that could destroy the planet. (Personally I was sh*t scared of being nuked in the 62 missile crisis or just after JFK's assassination in Nov '63)

I similar conditions to WW2, I think today's generation would be as brave faced with the threats of invasion, whether volunteers or conscripts. And remember it wasn't just men that were conscripted in WW2.

That’s nice of you to say... the NHS and care service has actually lost over 100+ more people whilst fighting for COVID patients lives than the British army lost during the entire occupation of Afghanistan. Add on a whole heap more on long term sickness or forced to leave their job through the affects of the virus.

We’ve also seen the small matter of over 40,000 people die in our wards mainly over an 8 week period.

I hope to god you didn’t have the audacity to stand on your doorstep and clap on those Thursdays in April... That would honestly just take the piss.

"Today's society especiallythe younger end has shown countless times that as a whole they'd be fucked if they had to face something like society had to 70 years"

I can’t being to tell you the number of under 25’s I’ve worked alongside treating COVID-19 patients. None of them refused to work during the weeks where we had missing, incorrect or just plain shonky PPE. From my experience the younger generation I’ve met have been and continue to be outstanding.

That speaks volumes about you. Obviously you would be more worried about your rights than having a bomb dropped on you. And we would not have a Blitz in modern times, we would all be getting nuked. Don't presume to speak for other people, all my family are following the rules.

» Add a new message to this topic