FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Nails

Nails

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *luebell888 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I wear acrylic nails which are neither long or sharp but look good. My boss has now asked me to get them taken off as feels they could help spread the virus. I get acrylics on as i am a nail biter so without them on my fingers will constantly be in my mouth which i feel is more of a risk to myself and everyone else. I will need to do what i have been asked but do you think he is overreacting?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes!

Glasgow

"Yes! "

I thought so too.

Wear latex glove...that will stop the biting

I have two acrylic nails on my thumbs as they tend to split down the middle if I'm not careful. I don't understand how they can make a risk for infection control. I have them plain so not really noticeable unless I mention it to people . Maybe you could have clear ones done . Ask your local nail bar and see what they say?

Glasgow

"Wear latex glove...that will stop the biting "

I wear latex gloves most of the time at work but not prepared to wear them outwith work. Will just ask advice at the nailbar.

Is it in your contract... Op must take nails off. Poor you op. Hope you get it sorted out with your boss.

By *rgoodnbadMan  over a year ago

greenock

Depends on the environment you work in. Are they quite long?Hospitals are a nono as they can harbour germs, bacteria underneath much like rings, bangles etc which are all supposed to be removed before starting your shift.

Glasgow

"Depends on the environment you work in. Are they quite long?Hospitals are a nono as they can harbour germs, bacteria underneath much like rings, bangles etc which are all supposed to be removed before starting your shift. "

Yes i work in a hospital. My nails are short and never been an issue before. There are several females with nails the same as me. I just know without them i will always be biting my nails so fingers will be in my mouth more which obviously will also spread germs.

greenock

"Depends on the environment you work in. Are they quite long?Hospitals are a nono as they can harbour germs, bacteria underneath much like rings, bangles etc which are all supposed to be removed before starting your shift.

Yes i work in a hospital. My nails are short and never been an issue before. There are several females with nails the same as me. I just know without them i will always be biting my nails so fingers will be in my mouth more which obviously will also spread germs.

"

feel like I should offer you a substitute or maybe a dummy but try dipping your fingers in marmite before your shift begins.

Aren't there stuff out there you can coat your nails with to prevent you biting, some hideous tasting substance?

"I wear acrylic nails which are neither long or sharp but look good. My boss has now asked me to get them taken off as feels they could help spread the virus. I get acrylics on as i am a nail biter so without them on my fingers will constantly be in my mouth which i feel is more of a risk to myself and everyone else. I will need to do what i have been asked but do you think he is overreacting?

"

Definitely overreacting but I believe you'd have no choice.

Sorry OP

Glasgow

"Depends on the environment you work in. Are they quite long?Hospitals are a nono as they can harbour germs, bacteria underneath much like rings, bangles etc which are all supposed to be removed before starting your shift.

feel like I should offer you a substitute or maybe a dummy but try dipping your fingers in marmite before your shift begins.

Aren't there stuff out there you can coat your nails with to prevent you biting, some hideous tasting substance?"

Yes but i quite liked it. I have tried everything. I do not realise i am biting my nails half the time. Just a bad habit i have always had. Oh and i love marmite too.

"

Admin or health are worker? If health are worker then they must come off. I believe where infection control is concerned it's regarding chipped polish hence the no nail varnish policy. A previous poster has already stated about nails being short.

Glasgow

Healthcare worker. Looks like i best do as i am told

" Healthcare worker. Looks like i best do as i am told "

Afraid so.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

How do you continuously bite your nails whilst wearing a mask ?

Glasgow

"How do you continuously bite your nails whilst wearing a mask ? "

I do not wear a mask 24hrs a day. What meant my nails will get chewed at every opportunity.

I’m a fellow healthcare worker and unfortunately your boss is correct. Hygiene levels have never been higher than they are at the moment. We’ve never been allowed to wear nail polish or artificial nails and they’ve had to be kept as short as possible.

Part and parcel of the job we do. I feel for you but now is the ideal time to break that habit!

V

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury

Your boss means well but is overreacting. Good hygiene (consider using a nail brush) is all that's required; this in line with government instructions.

Even though my nails are quite short, dirt does get under them,I wouldn't be prepared to cut them any shorter but I'm more than happy to scrub them.

greenock

Aren't there stuff out there you can coat your nails with to prevent you biting, some hideous tasting substance?

Yes but i quite liked it. I have tried everything. I do not realise i am biting my nails half the time. Just a bad habit i have always had. Oh and i love marmite too."

Thing is I've never met any girl who bites their nails, been with a few pillow biters though.

I'll get my coat

Malmesbury

Missed the bit about you being a health worker... I think you have no other option than to comply with your bosses instructions. I was a nail biter untill I bought clippers, still takes a lot of restraint though.

By *rx1Couple  over a year ago

Okehampton

[Removed by poster at 29/09/20 15:59:36]

Okehampton

Sorry OP, if you work as a clinician or have hands on with patients, you would already know that this is against policy due to infection control.

Glasgow

"Sorry OP, if you work as a clinician or have hands on with patients, you would already know that this is against policy due to infection control. "

I work in a care home and it has always been allowed and even the seniors had their nails done. Now even the residents are not allowed to get their nails painted due to this virus.

Malmesbury

"Sorry OP, if you work as a clinician or have hands on with patients, you would already know that this is against policy due to infection control.

I work in a care home and it has always been allowed and even the seniors had their nails done. Now even the residents are not allowed to get their nails painted due to this virus."

If the residents are complying,you don't have a choice. Super glue is good for preventing nail biting... A few drops on each lip

Okehampton

"Sorry OP, if you work as a clinician or have hands on with patients, you would already know that this is against policy due to infection control.

I work in a care home and it has always been allowed and even the seniors had their nails done. Now even the residents are not allowed to get their nails painted due to this virus."

Well you need to ask for the policy document. In an earlier post you put down you work in a Hospital, that is why people are referring to Infection control.

Glasgow

I work in a care home and it has always been allowed and even the seniors had their nails done. Now even the residents are not allowed to get their nails painted due to this virus.

Well you need to ask for the policy document. In an earlier post you put down you work in a Hospital, that is why people are referring to Infection control. "

It is run by the council but in partnership with the NHS. As i said we are not really meant to wear them but it has only been a big issue now due to covid.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Fake nails are not aloud if nursing ,sorry but your boss is right

Its a case of vanity opposed to potential virus spreading I guess. I very much doubt management would ask people not to wear them without a valid reason.

By *un4us2getherCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Well you need to ask for the policy document. In an earlier post you put down you work in a Hospital, that is why people are referring to Infection control.

It is run by the council but in partnership with the NHS. As i said we are not really meant to wear them but it has only been a big issue now due to covid.

"

Well its not a hospital then, so you work in a care home are you a carer or a cleaner? If carer then no false nails as being doing personal care and infection control comes into play.

By *ebel Red HotWoman  over a year ago

York

Just grow your own then everyone can be happy.

even pre covid they were banned as they are a risk to skin tears and other problems ...look at it another way if you had someone washing you would you want them with long nails ... its alway been in our policy false nails or even normal nails that are too long some of our residents have skin like tissue paper

By *ngels of Sin 69Couple  over a year ago

High Wycombe

[Removed by poster at 30/09/20 15:02:58]

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Tell him no they are your real nails and to stop talking to you as the particles coming out his mouth are a health risk - he should sign or write down all instructions going forward.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"even pre covid they were banned as they are a risk to skin tears and other problems ...look at it another way if you had someone washing you would you want them with long nails ... its alway been in our policy false nails or even normal nails that are too long some of our residents have skin like tissue paper "

But they aren’t long. I’d rather have someone with acrylic than bitten nails, it’s more hygienic and safer

By *nmgCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

I have had to set up 33 separate work locations for Covid compliance.

Provided you maintain good hygiene (as we all should!) this is not deemed to be an elevated risk. You boss is talking crap!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Tell him no they are your real nails and to stop talking to you as the particles coming out his mouth are a health risk - he should sign or write down all instructions going forward. "

Good way to get along with your boss

there will be no way around it .. your registered manager has a responsibility for the duty of care for the residents and staff if they flout the rules then its them that takes the heat ... there are plenty of guidelings on the net via google that are non covid related and covid related ...

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

* I’m assuming it’s a rule imposed for all staff and residents

* naked nails - wash hands, virus killed

* acrylic nails - wash hands, virus still trapped underneath, in gaps etc

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable request for the greater good

Sadly they are indeed an infection risk, if you’re in contact with patients etc then it’s probably a very valid request...

If It’s any consolation Ms Grace is also gutted by this fact x

» Add a new message to this topic