FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Another unpopular opinion

Another unpopular opinion

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ust4fun555 OP   Man  over a year ago

city centre

I posted a similar question before but wanted to explore it further. Anyone else feel the world is reacting wrong to this virus. Part of me thinks vulnerable people should self isolate. Treat covid19 as a very bad flu virus and yes some healthy people will die but the whole thing would be over sooner to allow the world to resume. The world is over populated anyway, obesity is out of control and old people with serious life threatening illnesses are being kept alive to prolong a less than enjoyable life. Thoughts?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"I posted a similar question before but wanted to explore it further. Anyone else feel the world is reacting wrong to this virus. Part of me thinks vulnerable people should self isolate. Treat covid19 as a very bad flu virus and yes some healthy people will die but the whole thing would be over sooner to allow the world to resume. The world is over populated anyway, obesity is out of control and old people with serious life threatening illnesses are being kept alive to prolong a less than enjoyable life. Thoughts?"

We have a virus that's so far "incurable" very easy to transmit and spreads exponentially.

How long do you think it would take for it to run it's natural course in we do nothing, how many people would have lost their lives and how many people would have their health ruined for the rest of their lives?

Do you have an acceptable number?

E

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Would you feel that way if the 'some healthy people' were your own family?

Just like Aids, this virus does not discriminate.

And just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine

Zero immunity?

The South

"Zero immunity?"

Who said zero immunity?

E

city centre

"I posted a similar question before but wanted to explore it further. Anyone else feel the world is reacting wrong to this virus. Part of me thinks vulnerable people should self isolate. Treat covid19 as a very bad flu virus and yes some healthy people will die but the whole thing would be over sooner to allow the world to resume. The world is over populated anyway, obesity is out of control and old people with serious life threatening illnesses are being kept alive to prolong a less than enjoyable life. Thoughts?

We have a virus that's so far "incurable" very easy to transmit and spreads exponentially.

How long do you think it would take for it to run it's natural course in we do nothing, how many people would have lost their lives and how many people would have their health ruined for the rest of their lives?

E"

I think it's with us forever now but after the first few waves, the exposed vulnerable would die. Don't have the numbers but not convinced (yet!) that long covid is as widespread.

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E"

And just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine

city centre

"Would you feel that way if the 'some healthy people' were your own family?

And just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine"

Like anyone, I'd be gutted to lose a family member but like I said earlier, I think this virus is here to stay, perhaps anyone worried about catching should self isolate instead of nationwide lockdown etc

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E"

Read it again - that's NOT what I said

city centre

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

And just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine"

If the current figures are to believed, the virus is predominately killing vulnerable people. Perhaps if they are worried of dying, they should self isolate and wait for a vaccine.

"Like anyone, I'd be gutted to lose a family member but like I said earlier, I think this virus is here to stay, perhaps anyone worried about catching should self isolate instead of nationwide lockdown etc"

Isolating WILL NOT stop this virus.

Polio, Measles, Mumps and Rubella had been around for thou_ands of years. Isolation didn't stop those diseases from killing millions.

Until Vaccines for them were created.

Please come join the 21st Century - we have cookies!!

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

Read it again - that's NOT what I said"

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

If the current figures are to believed, the virus is predominately killing vulnerable people. Perhaps if they are worried of dying, they should self isolate and wait for a vaccine. "

They can't just self isolate if everyone else goes back to normal they will have to totally shield. I.e see no one. Hospital and care staff will have to isolate too. Also the vunerable make up almost 20% of the population. To get natural immunity would take years and probably decades. I don't think you have thought this through.

city centre

"Like anyone, I'd be gutted to lose a family member but like I said earlier, I think this virus is here to stay, perhaps anyone worried about catching should self isolate instead of nationwide lockdown etc

Polio, Measles, Mumps and Rubella had been around for thou_ands of years. Isolation didn't stop those diseases from killing millions.

Please come join the 21st Century - we have cookies!! "

I'm struggling to understand the above, isolating won't stop it, but a lockdown will?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Dozens and dozens of threads on this have been discussed at length, including the Great Barrington Debate.

The idea is not workable, unethical and fully rejected.

C. 40% of the population are vulnerable. BAME population members are vulnerable. Imagine pushing for racial segregation and making black and other minority ethnic people have to be closed off from the rest of the population

Many vulnerable people need medical and care services support. If you are willing to isolate and provide it, own up. Otherwise it means thou_ands of people who must isolate to care for them, splitting families up. You will pay for the thou_ands of new homes for them?

It's totally been shown as completely not achievable for many reasons.

By *edbath 5Man  over a year ago

london

"I posted a similar question before but wanted to explore it further. Anyone else feel the world is reacting wrong to this virus. Part of me thinks vulnerable people should self isolate. Treat covid19 as a very bad flu virus and yes some healthy people will die but the whole thing would be over sooner to allow the world to resume. The world is over populated anyway, obesity is out of control and old people with serious life threatening illnesses are being kept alive to prolong a less than enjoyable life. Thoughts?

E"

So incurable they told us for 4/5 months it will be over by spring.

"I'm struggling to understand the above, isolating won't stop it, but a lockdown will?"

That's not what I said at all. I never even mentioned lockdowns

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

Read it again - that's NOT what I saidAnd just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine "

"Zero permanent natural immunity"

Nobody has yet be shown to have any NATURAL anti bodies that last o er a couple of weeks

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

Read it again - that's NOT what I saidAnd just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine

Nobody has yet be shown to have any NATURAL anti bodies that last o er a couple of weeks"

Studies have shown practically everybody who catches it has immunity that lasts at least 6 months and for the vast majority who catch it, it is no more serious than flu.

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

Read it again - that's NOT what I saidAnd just like Polio, there is ZERO permanent natural immunity. It's not going away without a Vaccine

Nobody has yet be shown to have any NATURAL anti bodies that last o er a couple of weeks"

Haha what ?

Source?

city centre

Hadn't heard of the Great Barrington Debate. So yes, I am suggesting that some of the ideas in it would work.

"The idea is not workable, unethical and fully rejected.

C. 40% of the population are vulnerable. BAME population members are vulnerable. Imagine pushing for racial segregation and making black and other minority ethnic people have to be closed off from the rest of the population

Many vulnerable people need medical and care services support. If you are willing to isolate and provide it, own up. Otherwise it means thou_ands of people who must isolate to care for them, splitting families up. You will pay for the thou_ands of new homes for them?

It's totally been shown as completely not achievable for many reasons."

Yes maybe not entirely ethical, but let evolution take it course.

Slightly concerning that you quote 40% are vulnerable. Doesn't the population need a bit of a cull?

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

First of all I find it strange of how the flu have jumped over this year and also is it just me, but I also find it unethical to first test the elderly and vulnerable with the vaccine, cos it reminds of certain regimes that have had the same mentality.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"I posted a similar question before but wanted to explore it further. Anyone else feel the world is reacting wrong to this virus. Part of me thinks vulnerable people should self isolate. Treat covid19 as a very bad flu virus and yes some healthy people will die but the whole thing would be over sooner to allow the world to resume. The world is over populated anyway, obesity is out of control and old people with serious life threatening illnesses are being kept alive to prolong a less than enjoyable life. Thoughts?"

Once again, a comment focusing on deaths. You clearly don't understand the impact of the R rate of covid and the impact that will have on health services around the world. The NHS simply could not cope without the restrictions we have in place. Have a little bit of a think about the impact that would place on the staff (both long and short term) and the care that everyone else could receive. You could be in a car crash but there isn't a doctor available to save your life.

scotland

"First of all I find it strange of how the flu have jumped over this year and also is it just me, but I also find it unethical to first test the elderly and vulnerable with the vaccine, cos it reminds of certain regimes that have had the same mentality."

What does that mean? 'flu have'? Flu has? Jumped over ? Skipped?

scotland

"First of all I find it strange of how the flu have jumped over this year and also is it just me, but I also find it unethical to first test the elderly and vulnerable with the vaccine, cos it reminds of certain regimes that have had the same mentality."

Around 100k people of all ages and all backgrounds have been vaccination with one of the first 3 vaccines. None dead. No serious side effects.

The vaccine has been tested. There is no debate there..

[Removed by poster at 25/11/20 11:56:23]

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

So If someone has a life threatening illness..we let them die?

"First of all I find it strange of how the flu have jumped over this year and also is it just me, but I also find it unethical to first test the elderly and vulnerable with the vaccine, cos it reminds of certain regimes that have had the same mentality.

Around 100k people of all ages and all backgrounds have been vaccination with one of the first 3 vaccines. None dead. No serious side effects.

The vaccine has been tested. There is no debate there.."

It takes years to test for the side effects, not just few months tho.

Central

"Hadn't heard of the Great Barrington Debate. So yes, I am suggesting that some of the ideas in it would work.

Slightly concerning that you quote 40% are vulnerable. Doesn't the population need a bit of a cull?"

We don't need 'a bit of cull'. Are you putting yourself to be culled?

The 40% is a conservative estimate. You also need to consider the partners and families of the vulnerable.

I see you didn't comment on the other aspects of what I covered. Have you read the many other threads on this? Have you studied the vast majority of experts and their comments on this and rejections of the Barrington Debate?

Why don't the tory MPs try it first

[Removed by poster at 25/11/20 12:03:02]

"First of all I find it strange of how the flu have jumped over this year and also is it just me, but I also find it unethical to first test the elderly and vulnerable with the vaccine, cos it reminds of certain regimes that have had the same mentality.

What does that mean? 'flu have'? Flu has? Jumped over ? Skipped?"

It means that somehow there havent been the flu/influenza this year either.

im with the op on this one, we cant cripple a country any more, i dont want anyone i know to die from it, but we all have to die of something.

but we cant fight nature

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Yes deffo with u on this x

Central

The vaccine has been tested. There is no debate there..It takes years to test for the side effects, not just few months tho."

Shag - hello BTW - it doesn't take years of testing for vaccines. From an initial new idea that I may have, through getting approval and funding for each stage, finding enough volunteers in the different parts of the world I travel to, getting approvals there, lots of lab work, detailed analysis of results etc, may take some years BUT, this year we have been able to build on earlier work, have funding in place and it's been the first time that experts and governments around the world have worked together so well, to remove the barriers that typically hold up new projects and research. The safety and effectiveness research has been as thorough and all of the work is more available and open to scrutiny by billions than anything before. We could have done many things more quickly in the past, to the same standards, if we'd had all of these benefits.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Like anyone, I'd be gutted to lose a family member but like I said earlier, I think this virus is here to stay, perhaps anyone worried about catching should self isolate instead of nationwide lockdown etc"

Sooo what happens to schools where 32% of staff are vulnerable? Who will teach the kids when they isolate? Same as NHS? Care workers? 60% of the adults in the UK are overweight or obese so that’s 60% of the adults without thinking about other reasons that make you vulnerable. Also long covid .. many many more people are suffering months are becoming infected.

"im with the op on this one, we cant cripple a country any more, i dont want anyone i know to die from it "
Same here

Yes deffo with u on this x"

To be honest you can't protect everyone. You have finite resources.

You have finite finances.

So aim is to minimise death.

Best use of resources,

Vaccine allows healthy ppl less at risk to work pay taxes refill coffers.

Vaccine reduces strain on medical resources.

Yes ppl will die it's life. But if best efforts are made to reduce numbers then we can do no more.

Lockdown is being used to buy time for vaccine to be found produces rolled out.

Lockdown will never get rid of Covid.

And not my job to decide what where who etc.

That's why we have elections to put ppl in places to decide.

Just my tuppence worth

Like anyone, I'd be gutted to lose a family member but like I said earlier, I think this virus is here to stay, perhaps anyone worried about catching should self isolate instead of nationwide lockdown etc

Sooo what happens to schools where 32% of staff are vulnerable? Who will teach the kids when they isolate? Same as NHS? Care workers? 60% of the adults in the UK are overweight or obese so that’s 60% of the adults without thinking about other reasons that make you vulnerable. Also long covid .. many many more people are suffering months are becoming infected. "

60 % obesity?

This is one fucked up country.

No wonder Macdonald's and all the other junk food outlets do so well here.

Yes deffo with u on this x

To be honest you can't protect everyone. You have finite resources.

You have finite finances.

So aim is to minimise death.

Best use of resources,

Vaccine allows healthy ppl less at risk to work pay taxes refill coffers.

Vaccine reduces strain on medical resources.

Yes ppl will die it's life. But if best efforts are made to reduce numbers then we can do no more.

Lockdown is being used to buy time for vaccine to be found produces rolled out.

Lockdown will never get rid of Covid.

And not my job to decide what where who etc.

That's why we have elections to put ppl in places to decide.

Just my tuppence worth "

Very well said, and all said without being sanctimonious and narcissistic unlike some

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Logans run... Its kind of what's been happening for 20 years anyway. Vulnerable people.... Fuck em... Young thrusters rule the world, get out of my way grandpa....take what you want and sod every one else.

Try doing anything without an email address, a mobile phone and amazon. Then ask how many 75vyear olds understand what they are doing with email?

There's a better way surely?

The vaccine has been tested. There is no debate there..It takes years to test for the side effects, not just few months tho.

Shag - hello BTW - it doesn't take years of testing for vaccines. From an initial new idea that I may have, through getting approval and funding for each stage, finding enough volunteers in the different parts of the world I travel to, getting approvals there, lots of lab work, detailed analysis of results etc, may take some years BUT, this year we have been able to build on earlier work, have funding in place and it's been the first time that experts and governments around the world have worked together so well, to remove the barriers that typically hold up new projects and research. The safety and effectiveness research has been as thorough and all of the work is more available and open to scrutiny by billions than anything before. We could have done many things more quickly in the past, to the same standards, if we'd had all of these benefits. "

Hi. I would still be wary of it tho, of the quickness of it.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

" 60% of the adults in the UK are overweight or obese "

Although there are some people who have medical conditions which cause weight problems, this is mostly a lifestyle choice.

The virus could therefore be classed as "natural selection".

Tin town

Sooo what happens to schools where 32% of staff are vulnerable? Who will teach the kids when they isolate? Same as NHS? Care workers? 60% of the adults in the UK are overweight or obese so that’s 60% of the adults without thinking about other reasons that make you vulnerable. Also long covid .. many many more people are suffering months are becoming infected.

60 % obesity?

No wonder Macdonald's and all the other junk food outlets do so well here."

Well think about it... If mucky dees had to close there would be riots in the streets. Eat out to help out... Cheap mcds... Yay.

Can I go and exercise? No you cant its not safe.

Can I get a 5k Cal fast food meal? Yes you can and here...have some free money too.

Priorities...

60 % obesity?

No wonder Macdonald's and all the other junk food outlets do so well here.

Well think about it... If mucky dees had to close there would be riots in the streets. Eat out to help out... Cheap mcds... Yay.

Can I go and exercise? No you cant its not safe.

Can I get a 5k Cal fast food meal? Yes you can and here...have some free money too.

Priorities... "

They would have to get off their arses to riot

Tin town

So here's a linked thought... Imagine we as a nation had invested as much money, energy and resource into say.... A healthy diet and exercise regime.... Since March? How many lives could have been saved by improving emotional well being, cardio systems and weight loss combined with improved diet?

Just imagine of the slogan wasn't stay alert manage the virus but... Walk to work, eat healthy, call a friend...

South

60 % obesity?

No wonder Macdonald's and all the other junk food outlets do so well here."

60% overweight or obese ...... anyone with a BMI over 30 plus .... which for most women is a size 12/14 depending on height.

South

Sorry bmi of 25 plus ...

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Is there a parrot in the forum

Hahahaha

Hey OP it's cool. I'm vulnerable on 3 counts. But hey, worry not, I'm happy to shield indefinitely in isolation away from everyone including my children (btw...who is going to.look after them while I shield?) I've fuck all to offer society so I don't matter anyway. And as one of those obese slobs, sure I'd be better off dead especially as the world is over populated and I'm a drain on the NHS with my three (how dare I!) co-mobidities.

That's what's being said here, right? Hitler doesn't have a fucking patch on some of you

liverpool

" 60% of the adults in the UK are overweight or obese

Although there are some people who have medical conditions which cause weight problems, this is mostly a lifestyle choice.

The virus could therefore be classed as "natural selection"."

Tin town

"Sorry bmi of 25 plus ... "

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

Over 40 is severely obese according to the nhs website.

Bmi is kind of a broad brush but a helpful indicator.

We are world leading in some things...

liverpool

"Sorry bmi of 25 plus ...

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

We are world leading in some things... "

Isnt Is quite problematic that BMI thing?

I wouldn't say 60%of the people I know are obese.

South

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

We are world leading in some things... "

Yep and a BMI of over 25 puts you at greater risk of complications. The OP is suggesting all people with a bmi of over 25 be part of his ‘natural selection’ ... sigh

South

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

I wouldn't say 60%of the people I know are obese. "

..... overweight or obese

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Hey OP it's cool. I'm vulnerable on 3 counts. But hey, worry not, I'm happy to shield indefinitely in isolation away from everyone including my children (btw...who is going to.look after them while I shield?) I've fuck all to offer society so I don't matter anyway. And as one of those obese slobs, sure I'd be better off dead especially as the world is over populated and I'm a drain on the NHS with my three (how dare I!) co-mobidities.

That's what's being said here, right? Hitler doesn't have a fucking patch on some of you "

Well put... and it shows the selfishness of some opinions in here... “I want to do my thing, don’t give a fuck what the consequences are for others”

Maybe we could put all the vulnerable in camps OP?... Or why wait for the virus to do it, let’s euthanise them?....

Tin town

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

I wouldn't say 60%of the people I know are obese. "

I dont really know enough about it. I know mine is too high and I need to move more and eat less. I know if I don't do it soon, there's a good chance that it makes me more susceptible to some illnesses.

I think our "healthy weights" have been creeping up over the years as we delude ourselves we aren't overweight.

Bmi, scales, a tape measure, a mirror... Just tools to help us I guess.

"Hey OP it's cool. I'm vulnerable on 3 counts. But hey, worry not, I'm happy to shield indefinitely in isolation away from everyone including my children (btw...who is going to.look after them while I shield?) I've fuck all to offer society so I don't matter anyway. And as one of those obese slobs, sure I'd be better off dead especially as the world is over populated and I'm a drain on the NHS with my three (how dare I!) co-mobidities.

That's what's being said here, right? Hitler doesn't have a fucking patch on some of you

Well put... and it shows the selfishness of some opinions in here... “I want to do my thing, don’t give a fuck what the consequences are for others”

Maybe we could put all the vulnerable in camps OP?... Or why wait for the virus to do it, let’s euthanise them?...."

When I read stuff like this it actually brings me to tears when I realise how little value some people place on others lives.

liverpool

That's what's being said here, right? Hitler doesn't have a fucking patch on some of you "

liverpool

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

..... overweight or obese "

Obese

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

I dont really know enough about it. I know mine is too high and I need to move more and eat less. I know if I don't do it soon, there's a good chance that it makes me more susceptible to some illnesses.

I think our "healthy weights" have been creeping up over the years as we delude ourselves we aren't overweight.

Bmi, scales, a tape measure, a mirror... Just tools to help us I guess. "

I dont go on BMI I go on my body fat percentage.

By *ohnywrongunMan  over a year ago

Epping

Body mass index ,mines low ,get a rowing machine

South

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

..... overweight or obese

Obese"

I meant 60% of the adult population of the UK are overweight or obese. So 60% of people you know will be at least overweight.

Do you have an acceptable number? Personally i don’t think it’s anything to do with having annacceptable number, more a case of to what extent do you wreck the economy, peoples jobs, businesses etc etc when the alternative strategy of protecting the vulnerable is possible. Remember, death isn’t curable ultimately, we all die one day of something . There is no cure !!!!! I wonder what peoples attitude to getting on with life right now would be if food was in short supply.

E"

Tin town

Over 25 is overweight

Over 30 is obese

Yep and a BMI of over 25 puts you at greater risk of complications. The OP is suggesting all people with a bmi of over 25 be part of his ‘natural selection’ ... sigh "

I suppose going in the other direction.. As there are some people who struggle with maintaining healthy weight...

Bmi 18.5 is underweight, which brings its own health risks.

I do think... Having seen evidence of how we can quickly have a nationwide panic about this virus... There is scope to invest much more effort, money and resource nationwide in "healthier" lifestyles. Treta the cause and not the symptom type approach. And I think some of us have become way too lackadaisical about taking responsibility and action for our own long term health.

Central

A workable solution to do the ops idea has still not been proposed, even by the op.

40% population minimum isolated. Plus carers, health staff. All BAME people. Detail how to do it.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Thoughts ?

Forum ban

The South

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

Read it again - that's NOT what I said"

No need to read it again, I wasn't responding to your comment.

I was asking the poster who wrote "zero immunity?" Who it was that posted that phrase.

Because I can't see anyone who wrote it, up to that point.

E

The South

E

So incurable they told us for 4/5 months it will be over by spring.

"

Which isn't the same as having a cure is it?

Personally I think this will be around for a long time and we will all have to adapt our habits to suit for some time to come.

We're learning more about Covid 19 with every week that passes, which is entirely understandable, as up to the beginning of the year no-one had ever heard of Covin 19 before.

E

Thoughts ?

Forum ban "

scotland

The vaccine has been tested. There is no debate there..It takes years to test for the side effects, not just few months tho."

What type of side effects? What proportion of people suffer from these side effect? How long would testing take to rule out these side effect?

I don't think you know. What I do know is that for most of the population, the impact of catching the virus is significantly more than the chances of

For comparision, Pandemrix is a vaccine for swine flu.

"Pandemrix was found to be associated with narcolepsy from observational studies, increasing the risk of narcolepsy by 5-14 times in children and 2-7 times in adults. The increased risk of narcolepsy due to vaccination was 1 in 18400 or 0.005%."

Now, compare that to covid where the chance of death for man in 40s is about 1 in every 200.

I'd take the vaccine thanks.

ashford

Thoughts ?

Forum ban

"

Y? X

By *ary Mary not so hairyWoman  over a year ago

Tamworth

Many dictators had similar views to people with illnesses in the past. They also grouped homosexuals in with them too. In reality its the view of selfish small minded people with zero social conscience.

By *reampie_vickyTV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

I totally agree but sadly this site is crammed full of old people who still believe the government and mass media like the pedophile riddled BBC, they are also obsessed with telling everybody else what to do and when you do not do as they say you will get called all sorts of names, save intelligent discussion for another site.

ashford

Many dictators had similar views to people with illnesses in the past. They also grouped homosexuals in with them too. In reality its the view of selfish small minded people with zero social conscience. "

Totally not true!! X

Over populated the great crap we are all told.

South

I totally agree but sadly this site is crammed full of old people who still believe the government and mass media like the pedophile riddled BBC, they are also obsessed with telling everybody else what to do and when you do not do as they say you will get called all sorts of names, save intelligent discussion for another site."

‘Intelligent discussion’ ha

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I totally agree but sadly this site is crammed full of old people who still believe the government and mass media like the pedophile riddled BBC, they are also obsessed with telling everybody else what to do and when you do not do as they say you will get called all sorts of names, save intelligent discussion for another site."

And we laughed..

The irony..

ashford

x

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"A workable solution to do the ops idea has still not been proposed, even by the op.

40% population minimum isolated. Plus carers, health staff. All BAME people. Detail how to do it. "

Not a workable solution but...

I still like the idea of isolating all of the vulnerable, elderly etc etc on a island in the Caribbean with all of their key workers and family's for six months over winter time.

Only downside will be watching the virus in the UK jump from person to person who are living their lives normally, ready to infect anyone in its path.

the wetlands

Thoughts ?

Forum ban

Y? X"

Honesty can be reported as abuse lol

By *urboTongue21Man  over a year ago

Walsall

"Hadn't heard of the Great Barrington Debate. So yes, I am suggesting that some of the ideas in it would work.

Slightly concerning that you quote 40% are vulnerable. Doesn't the population need a bit of a cull?"

That 40% includes people by age, disability, race and other ill health...look at history and ask yourself what is the difference between that view and those put forward by the Nazis?

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

It seems you are willing to risk other people's life for sex.

No one yet knows if there is any chance of re-infection or if there is immunity how long that lasts.

Things may change when the vaccines as in use but really we are learning as each week goes by

liverpool

Erm...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It's a virus that will pass and whilst some of what you've posted is dystopian in principle and clearly appeals to some in essence its more akin to the likes of previous mad men who thought it ok to march those who didn't fit their ideas of perfect into cattle cars or the killing Fields ..

The virus has really only allowed some to have a focus point to blame for what they see as global problems of which there are many yes or to blame other groups in society of which they are not yet for stopping them live their lives..

Respect there are hardships for many in relation to income and more to come and that's an understandable point but usually it's more like the sense of entitlement in some for casual sex etc..

The fuck them jack, chuck them under the bus attitude really is not a humane trait to feel proud of ..

We could make a festival out of it like the annual cull of seal cubs. Or maybe run the old disabled and obese through the street chased by marauding bulls for the craic.

By *adyinred696969Couple  over a year ago

Brecon

I think " overpopulated" is a term that's thrown around too easily.

You can fit the entire population of the world on the Isle of Wight, although there would only be room to stand.

The problem isn't the population, it's the amount of resources we each consume, and the damage being done to the planet to provide those resources.

How many people should we let die? What ,in your opinion, is an acceptable figure

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Interesting replies in this thread .

A couple of things are concerning me .

Firstly the OP seems to be using a ' strongest will survive' kind off mentality about all this and we need to dump the collateral damage .

Suggesting the world is for the younger people and the olds are sort of expendable / supposed to die and leave more space for the younger people which is the right thing to do .

Secondly obvious from some of the comments in the thread others have made ..and this really does bother me because I am seeing a lot of people adopt this ' holier than thou' approach to health these days and it's a bit irritating . Again suggesting that unless you are a gym bunny vegan skinny Minny / man .. if you get sick it's your own fault if you get sick or can't survive Covid .. also suggesting anyone with a high BMI will only bring it on themselves if they can't survive the virus etc . Seriously ?

Kind of feel smug that gyms have been shut for a while which has hushed a few of these evangelical health freak types up ..

When all said and done ..everyone must do their own thing ,stay fit ,don't stay fit eat rabbit food or chomp on chocolate. Whatever works for you is what works ..we are all struggling in one way or another .

We all need to find a way through this and frankly people suggesting / looking to blame on ageism and fat shaming doesn't really show a lot of humanity and kindness ( which I suggest IS what will get us through this ) now does it ?

End of the day we are all of us in this and it probably isn't helpful if people start thinking some of us somehow need to be shutting ourselves away so others can go out ..

liverpool

"Interesting replies in this thread .

Firstly the OP seems to be using a ' strongest will survive' kind off mentality about all this and we need to dump the collateral damage .

Suggesting the world is for the younger people and the olds are sort of expendable / supposed to die and leave more space for the younger people which is the right thing to do .

Secondly obvious from some of the comments in the thread others have made ..and this really does bother me because I am seeing a lot of people adopt this ' holier than thou' approach to health these days and it's a bit irritating . Again suggesting that unless you are a gym bunny vegan skinny Minny / man .. if you get sick it's your own fault if you get sick or can't survive Covid .. also suggesting anyone with a high BMI will only bring it on themselves if they can't survive the virus etc . Seriously ?

Kind of feel smug that gyms have been shut for a while which has hushed a few of these evangelical health freak types up ..

When all said and done ..everyone must do their own thing ,stay fit ,don't stay fit eat rabbit food or chomp on chocolate. Whatever works for you is what works ..we are all struggling in one way or another .

We all need to find a way through this and frankly people suggesting / looking to blame on ageism and fat shaming doesn't really show a lot of humanity and kindness ( which I suggest IS what will get us through this ) now does it ?

End of the day we are all of us in this and it probably isn't helpful if people start thinking some of us somehow need to be shutting ourselves away so others can go out ..

"

Just because you go gym doesnt mean you fat Shame people.

By *ess n BenCouple  over a year ago

Didcot

I bet you are a bundle of laughs down the pub!!!

By *reampie_vickyTV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

How many people should we let die? What ,in your opinion, is an acceptable figure "

Well heart disease kills 48,000 people every single day on this planet and we all consider that acceptable, covid is killing a fraction of that per day.

Durham

How many people should we let die? What ,in your opinion, is an acceptable figure

Well heart disease kills 48,000 people every single day on this planet and we all consider that acceptable, covid is killing a fraction of that per day."

Do you think having covid is great for people with heart disease?

liverpool

Well heart disease kills 48,000 people every single day on this planet and we all consider that acceptable, covid is killing a fraction of that per day."

If we consider it acceptable why is the idea of a healthy life..in terms of diet,smoking,exercise seen as so important?

liverpool

"

And I think its largely a myth that we are all in this together.

We have been told for the last 30 years to look after no 1 and fuck everyone else (there is no such thing as society)

Are we really shocked then,that people express such inhuman views.?

Is heart disease highly contagious? Who in their right mind thinks 48,000 people a day dying of heart disease is acceptable? That is 17.5 million people a year?

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

No death is acceptable, you cant catch heart disease, ffs the attitude of some on here is unbelievable.

Life is precious it doesnt matter what age you are .

Well heart disease kills 48,000 people every single day on this planet and we all consider that acceptable, covid is killing a fraction of that per day.

No death is acceptable, you cant catch heart disease, ffs the attitude of some on here is unbelievable.

Life is precious it doesnt matter what age you are ."

Exactly, this notion that we should just ignore COVID because other diseases might kill more people is bonkers.

stafford

Just because you go gym doesnt mean you fat Shame people."

I don't think I said that ? I said/ implied ' some' people are actually doing that more and more these days ..which is true unfortunately

Central

It was a poorly thought out idea, which didn't have a workable plan each and every time it's been posted here.

liverpool

Just because you go gym doesnt mean you fat Shame people.

I don't think I said that ? I said/ implied ' some' people are actually doing that more and more these days ..which is true unfortunately "

I agree

I've seen it on here..but it doesnt necessarily come from people who like to keep in shape.Quite the opposite in fact.

liverpool

People have often asked how can normal people be complicit in something like the holocaust.

Reading through here..quite easy it seems.

By *omDateMan  over a year ago

Newton Abbot

"

Now, compare that to covid where the chance of death for man in 40s is about 1 in every 200.

"

Curious as to where you get your information from. No deaths or serious side effects? A quick search shows otherwise with even MSN outlets reporting deaths and ADRs.

Your 1 in 200 is also way out. ONS shows 55.8 out of 100k people... isn't that 0.11 per 200 people?

"

What a happy chappy you are.

Get down the gym

By *irty desireWoman  over a year ago

newcatle

All lives matter

By *scarwilde1330Couple  over a year ago

Warrington

I know we will not be getting the vaccine no matter what people say

We have flu every year and people die but they don't want to vaccinate everyone for that

By *iercedyvonneTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

Problem is that a large number of the vulnerable just aren't bothering with any precautions. (as evidenced by the hordes of old people near me and friends with asthma, immunocompromised etc)

If I were vulnerable I would be very careful and do everything I could to avoid contracting covid. Hell, I'm fit and healthy and working hard to avoid it!

Do these people think they are invincible?

It's also incredibly selfish/stupid and they are the reason the NHS is struggling which is the reason we are all (including the vulnerable) in lockdown.

I'm with the OP on this.

ashford

All lives matter "

But do they? Had a friend with face cancer start of lockdown was due to start treatment was cancelled because of covid ! Its spread and is now terminal did her life not matter? Along with all the others this happened to? People have committing suicide because of covid did their lives not matter ? So on and so on! X

liverpool

"Problem is that a large number of the vulnerable just aren't bothering with any precautions. (as evidenced by the hordes of old people near me and friends with asthma, immunocompromised etc)

If I were vulnerable I would be very careful and do everything I could to avoid contracting covid. Hell, I'm fit and healthy and working hard to avoid it!

It's also incredibly selfish/stupid and they are the reason the NHS is struggling which is the reason we are all (including the vulnerable) in lockdown.

I'm with the OP on this."

Nothing quite like wild sweeping generalisations

Tin town

"I know we will not be getting the vaccine no matter what people say

We have flu every year and people die but they don't want to vaccinate everyone for that

"

Errr...

By *andsCouple  over a year ago

south birmingham

is it really about "the virus".

"Problem is that a large number of the vulnerable just aren't bothering with any precautions. (as evidenced by the hordes of old people near me and friends with asthma, immunocompromised etc)

I'm with the OP on this."

Might just be a Glasgow ‘thing’

"

They literally have a flu vaccine every year

is it really about "the virus"."

Yeah, unless you have another ‘theory ‘?

newcatle

All lives matter

But do they? Had a friend with face cancer start of lockdown was due to start treatment was cancelled because of covid ! Its spread and is now terminal did her life not matter? Along with all the others this happened to? People have committing suicide because of covid did their lives not matter ? So on and so on! X"

Of course they all do but I read the ops comment as obese, old and terminal illness shouldn’t be kept alive .. sorry if i got it wrong

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

We have been told for the last 30 years to look after no 1 and fuck everyone else (there is no such thing as society)

Are we really shocked then,that people express such inhuman views.?"

Thatcher actually said. “They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

Where does that say fuck everyone else?

Central

Op's from Cork, so not even in the UK, so perhaps he was proposing it for the Republic of Ireland?

Though when the idea was suggested internationally, eg Barrington Debate, it was completely refuted as impractical, expensive and totally lacking in any practical details. Nothing going for it.

ashford

All lives matter

But do they? Had a friend with face cancer start of lockdown was due to start treatment was cancelled because of covid ! Its spread and is now terminal did her life not matter? Along with all the others this happened to? People have committing suicide because of covid did their lives not matter ? So on and so on! X

Of course they all do but I read the ops comment as obese, old and terminal illness shouldn’t be kept alive .. sorry if i got it wrong "

Well as controversial as that is u can see his point no? A example my dear old beloved stepfather had kidney failure the

Y gave him dialysis he got good again in meantime found he had cancer the kidneys were still in failure so he went down hill to the point he needed dialysis again I said is this an option ? They said no on the basis of cost/ etc.,and the fact we would b at this point again in few months as sad and harrowing as it was we sat with him as he saw that week out x

stafford

Get down the gym "

Hardly relevent reply or even point to raise that adds to the discussion

Would suggest you in particular don't try too hard to live up to the level of intelligence expected of a stereotypical gym freak ..

Of course . Before anyone starts ..there are exceptions !

liverpool

Thatcher actually said. “They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

"

You obviously know very little about thatcherism

newcatle

All lives matter

Of course they all do but I read the ops comment as obese, old and terminal illness shouldn’t be kept alive .. sorry if i got it wrong

Well as controversial as that is u can see his point no? A example my dear old beloved stepfather had kidney failure the

Y gave him dialysis he got good again in meantime found he had cancer the kidneys were still in failure so he went down hill to the point he needed dialysis again I said is this an option ? They said no on the basis of cost/ etc.,and the fact we would b at this point again in few months as sad and harrowing as it was we sat with him as he saw that week out x"

Yes i get that on a personal level for you.. my father died of parkinsons and at the end of his life I would agree with you. But you can’t just let the virus kill the obese, old and ill to save the healthy. It s like saying ah he /she is older they have had there life, he/she going to die anyway and the obese they should die.. that don’t sit right with me

Get down the gym

Hardly relevent reply or even point to raise that adds to the discussion

Would suggest you in particular don't try too hard to live up to the level of intelligence expected of a stereotypical gym freak ..

Of course . Before anyone starts ..there are exceptions !

"

Haha ok

Not here

"

Being the age I am, I know a hell of a lot about Thatcherism, which is why I know the way in which you interpreted her quote was utter crap.

If you’re going to politzise a thread about Covid-19 with your usual malevolent hatred at least get your facts correct.

liverpool

Being the age I am, I know a hell of a lot about Thatcherism, which is why I know the way in which you interpreted her quote was utter crap.

If you’re going to politzise a thread about Covid-19 with your usual malevolent hatred at least get your facts correct."

Malevolent hatred

Not here

If you’re going to politzise a thread about Covid-19 with your usual malevolent hatred at least get your facts correct.

Malevolent hatred

"

Did I understate it?

Who said the worlds over populated??

liverpool

Malevolent hatred

Did I understate it?"

Its taken it out the topic so I'll walk away.

But if you really dont think Thatcherism was about the individual (buying shares, the age of the yuppie, rampant consumerism)you really should do some reading.

Not here

Malevolent hatred

Did I understate it?

But if you really dont think Thatcherism was about the individual (buying shares, the age of the yuppie, rampant consumerism)you really should do some reading."

I’m probably a damn site better read than you and I actually lived through Thatcher’s years as an adult, so experienced it first hand.

liverpool

Malevolent hatred

Did I understate it?

But if you really dont think Thatcherism was about the individual (buying shares, the age of the yuppie, rampant consumerism)you really should do some reading.

I’m probably a damn site better read than you and I actually lived through Thatcher’s years as an adult, so experienced it first hand.

"

I remember what She did vividly.

Anyway its off topic.

Not here

Malevolent hatred

Did I understate it?

I remember what She did vividly.

Anyway its off topic."

You introduced into the topic!

the wetlands

"

Time to put the shovel down

Time to put the shovel down "

With covid they are vaccinating the exact same group as the one that gets the flu

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Someone put a post up a while ago, they did some number crunching on the virus. If we didn't have the lockdowns and tiers systems in place, things would grind to a halt a lot quicker due to the virus spreading virtually unchecked.

By *r_FaustusMan  over a year ago

Northampton

"Someone put a post up a while ago, they did some number crunching on the virus. If we didn't have the lockdowns and tiers systems in place, things would grind to a halt a lot quicker due to the virus spreading virtually unchecked."

Well, if we go for Dominic Cummings’s preferred approach of herd immunity as the main tactic, which seems to be the rationale behind the ‘pro-business’ (and also anti-mask / anti-lockdown) folks:

To achieve herd immunity, we would need 80% of the population infected (~48 million across the UK)

If we assume that only 1% of those infected actually die, that’s ~480000 deaths. (Plus 5-10 times that for hospital admissions; 2-3 times that for ICU admissions)

“But it’s only the old and frail and those with underlying issues”: well, only if you count those over 50 as ‘old and frail’; and tablet-controlled high blood pressure or being overweight (not obese) as ‘underlying issues’. The youngest really ill patients I’ve seen (so far) were in their late 20s-early 30s (and no risk factors).

This *isn’t* ‘flu’; and we need vaccines that work in practice. (The ones being developed look promising; we need to get 80+% of the population vaccinated.)

Newton Abbot

"Someone put a post up a while ago, they did some number crunching on the virus. If we didn't have the lockdowns and tiers systems in place, things would grind to a halt a lot quicker due to the virus spreading virtually unchecked."

Have you seen the studies carried out by the CDC on Parris Island, South Carolina, The Chinese in Wuhan and the collation of smaller studies published by WHO? If not, you should probably take a look. They have actual and verified transmission, detection and immunity figures based on real world observations.

Parris Island is published in the NewEngland Journal of Medicine.

Wuhan study, English translation is available from WHO or rt.com

Masks do reduce infection rates. Studies from WHO, NEJoM, Lancet, BMJ, Columbia University

Newton Abbot

"

Masks do reduce infection rates. Studies from WHO, NEJoM, Lancet, BMJ, Columbia University"

correction. that should read 'Masks do NOT reduce infection rates.'

Central

"

Masks do reduce infection rates. Studies from WHO, NEJoM, Lancet, BMJ, Columbia University

correction. that should read 'Masks do NOT reduce infection rates.'"

Are they the latest meta-analyses and include other research that has shown positive results from masks?

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

[Removed by poster at 26/11/20 01:16:28]

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

correction. that should read 'Masks do NOT reduce infection rates.'"

So that'll be public information and the whole world are wearing masks for no purpose whatsoever and only you are smart enough to see through it.

Yeah.

Right.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Interesting comment from a student of mine in Shanghai today: "hardly anyone wears masks in Shanghai now". Quite the opposite to what we envision of China. I was very surprised.

Newton Abbot

"

So that'll be public information and the whole world are wearing masks for no purpose whatsoever and only you are smart enough to see through it.

Yeah.

Right.

"

It is indeed public information. Search the studies and read for yourself, I would put direct links but forum rules forbid it.

Newton Abbot

"

Are they the latest meta-analyses and include other research that has shown positive results from masks? "

Can you give me a publication to search to read these positive research studies?

Also... are the holes in the fabric of your mask bigger or smaller than 0.125Mircons?

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

There was a recent study called Danmask that showed that wearing a mask made no statistically significant difference to whether you caught the virus. However it is much more difficult to determine whether masks stop an infected person giving it to other people (source control). It is interesting to note that when masks were introduced in the UK it made no difference to the rate at which the cases decreased.

By *oycoupleCouple  over a year ago

Rotherham

You cannot compare covid 19 to polio,rubella,mumps,measles..

Completely different..Just remember when we have an effective vaccine for covid 19 the virus will mutate into another making vaccine less effective, just like the flu jabs..

So where does it end.When covid 19 turns into covid20 does the world shut down again...Be no business left or jobs .

"Like anyone, I'd be gutted to lose a family member but like I said earlier, I think this virus is here to stay, perhaps anyone worried about catching should self isolate instead of nationwide lockdown etc

Please come join the 21st Century - we have cookies!! "

Newton Abbot

" However it is much more difficult to determine whether masks stop an infected person giving it to other people (source control). "

A possible answer to that question might be another question. Can a chainlink fence stop a mosquito?

Size matters after all...

Newton Abbot

"

"

You haven't heard about the polio outbreaks in Africa then? Caused by the liquid vaccine?

A couple of MSM newspapers ran the story...

"You cannot compare covid 19 to polio,rubella,mumps,measles..

Completely different..Just remember when we have an effective vaccine for covid 19 the virus will mutate into another making vaccine less effective, just like the flu jabs..

So where does it end.When covid 19 turns into covid20 does the world shut down again...Be no business left or jobs .

"

Those involved in the recent successful vaccine have said that once a vaccine is established it will be easier to tweak to combat future mutations, which is exactly what happens with the flu vaccine every year.

Incidentally as an aside, Covid 19 will not turn into Covid 20...that's not how it works

By *oycoupleCouple  over a year ago

Rotherham

Think you need to do your homework..Flu jabs are only 40 to 60% effective.

And yes covid 19 will turn into another strain giving it another name like I did example covid 20..

Influenza/flu strains change every year

North West

"Think you need to do your homework..Flu jabs are only 40 to 60% effective.

And yes covid 19 will turn into another strain giving it another name like I did example covid 20..

"

What do you know about the genetics of SARS-CoV-2 vs influenza viruses?

"

I absolutely don't but you work away

Tin town

" However it is much more difficult to determine whether masks stop an infected person giving it to other people (source control).

A possible answer to that question might be another question. Can a chainlink fence stop a mosquito?

Size matters after all... "

That's a nice analogy. Can it stop some of a handful of gravel thrown at it? Yes some of it.

Nobody has ever claimed masks stop transmission. All people have said is it will reduce transmission.

If we do several things that reduce transmission by a few percentage points, they compound to make a significant difference.

Central

"

This current virus will mutate, as they all do. It doesn't show great levels of mutation that are an issue - The important thing is having vaccines that are effective.

The current flu vaccine is a selected mix of Influenza A and B types that are predicted to be most prevalent and a risk and don't need mutation for the mix to be changed by us, as we just do that based on our predictions.

Having the current vaccines for Sars cov 2 gives us the base to tweak a modification if needed.

It's likely that other novel viruses will jump from animals to us in future, posing a risk, as our current vaccines may be significantly unmatched to them.

Newton Abbot

"

Nobody has ever claimed masks stop transmission. All people have said is it will reduce transmission.

"

Even though several studies (ways to find them have been given elsewhere so I wont repeat) have shown that wearing a mask can actually put you at a greater risk? Not only from the virus, but also other health problems including bacterial pneumonia

As for the 'handful of gravel' thrown at a chainlink fence.. why dont you try it and document the amount of gravel that passes through, I'd be willing to bet 95%+ of it does.

the wetlands

"

Even though several studies (ways to find them have been given elsewhere so I wont repeat) have shown that wearing a mask can actually put you at a greater risk? Not only from the virus, but also other health problems including bacterial pneumonia

As for the 'handful of gravel' thrown at a chainlink fence.. why dont you try it and document the amount of gravel that passes through, I'd be willing to bet 95%+ of it does."

Try taking a piss with your trousers on and see how far it goes

Newton Abbot

"

Try taking a piss with your trousers on and see how far it goes "

Innaccurate analogy as the liquid is larger than the holes in the material and reacts differently than a virus or fragment of one.

Durham

"

Innaccurate analogy as the liquid is larger than the holes in the material and reacts differently than a virus or fragment of one. "

Correct it won't stop airbourne transmission of lone virus particles but it stop a fair amount of waterbourne virus transmission via coughs and sneezes which is a more common way to transmit these types of diseases. Especially in places with transient contact such and shops and supermarkets.

By *edtothecore.2.0Woman  over a year ago

Kings Lynn

Wow... lets just let people you think worthy of dying die.... how do we choose? Tell you what.. you choose members of your own family.. they can be first in line.

This isn't just an unpopular opinion its downright nasty. Insensitive at best.

Yeah let's kill off the fat and the old...they are holding us back!

Good lord! Everyone has a right to live dont they? The vulnerable include people undergoing cancer treatment, asthma sufferers, people who have had transplants etc.

No on has the right to decide who to throw to the lions.

liverpool

Yeah let's kill off the fat and the old...they are holding us back!

Good lord! Everyone has a right to live dont they? The vulnerable include people undergoing cancer treatment, asthma sufferers, people who have had transplants etc.

No on has the right to decide who to throw to the lions.

"

Newton Abbot

"

Innaccurate analogy as the liquid is larger than the holes in the material and reacts differently than a virus or fragment of one.

Correct it won't stop airbourne transmission of lone virus particles but it stop a fair amount of waterbourne A wet mask virus transmission via coughs and sneezes which is a more common way to transmit these types of diseases. Especially in places with transient contact such and shops and supermarkets."

Except that research shows it doesnt (scroll up for where to find the studies)

The reasons as to WHY masks don't work are really simple.

Durham

"

Correct it won't stop airbourne transmission of lone virus particles but it stop a fair amount of waterbourne A wet mask virus transmission via coughs and sneezes which is a more common way to transmit these types of diseases. Especially in places with transient contact such and shops and supermarkets.

The reasons as to WHY masks don't work are really simple."

Just googled mask virus transmission and everyone of the first page says none surgical masks have some effect on virus, covid and none covid. The links include ncbi, Lancet, nature and cdc. What reputable research should i be looking at.

By *oriarty99Man  over a year ago

London

Like Groundhog Day this forum.

By *edtothecore.2.0Woman  over a year ago

Kings Lynn

"

Correct it won't stop airbourne transmission of lone virus particles but it stop a fair amount of waterbourne A wet mask virus transmission via coughs and sneezes which is a more common way to transmit these types of diseases. Especially in places with transient contact such and shops and supermarkets.

Just googled mask virus transmission and everyone of the first page says none surgical masks have some effect on virus, covid and none covid. The links include ncbi, Lancet, nature and cdc. What reputable research should i be looking at."

Aaaand BOOM.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Thoughts.

If this is the 'research' you mention in your profile, I don't think you have given it too much thought yourself.

"Zero immunity?

Who said zero immunity?

E

If the current figures are to believed, the virus is predominately killing vulnerable people. Perhaps if they are worried of dying, they should self isolate and wait for a vaccine. "

How would said people work, many jobs cant be done from home, how would they get food, its often difficult to get a home delivery slot even with priority booking, get medicines, see a doctor, go hospital, exercise etc ?

Newton Abbot

"

Just googled mask virus transmission and everyone of the first page says none surgical masks have some effect on virus, covid and none covid. The links include ncbi, Lancet, nature and cdc. What reputable research should i be looking at."

Look at my posts further up, publications and search terms given.

Durham

"

Just googled mask virus transmission and everyone of the first page says none surgical masks have some effect on virus, covid and none covid. The links include ncbi, Lancet, nature and cdc. What reputable research should i be looking at.

Look at my posts further up, publications and search terms given."

You must be hand picking your the vast majority of research even in most of the publications and sources you quote, i would say at least 90%, says non surgical masks do make some difference to transmission of viruses.

Newton Abbot

"

Look at my posts further up, publications and search terms given.

You must be hand picking your the vast majority of research even in most of the publications and sources you quote, i would say at least 90%, says non surgical masks do make some difference to transmission of viruses."

The most common phrasing is 'little statistical difference'

NewEngland Journal of Medicine, look at the Parris Island study.

By *iker boy 69Man  over a year ago

midlands

People ask what an acceptable number of deaths is, and obviously the lower the better. But when it comes to oil, then going to war with thou_ands upon thoussnds of civillian deaths seems acceptable to a certain few. Seems death is acceptable in certain circumstances but not others. Just a devils advocates view point

I'm struggling to understand the above, isolating won't stop it, but a lockdown will?"

Who has said lockdown will STOP it? Only those uneducated about how virus work and who haven't been listening would say such a thing.

Lockdown is primarily to restrict the spread and to save the NHS from collapsing. It's been doing exactly what its intended, however the government can't control Covidiots who just do as they please and ignore the restrictions and respect others.

The South

I'm struggling to understand the above, isolating won't stop it, but a lockdown will?

Who has said lockdown will STOP it? Only those uneducated about how virus work and who haven't been listening would say such a thing.

Lockdown is primarily to restrict the spread and to save the NHS from collapsing. It's been doing exactly what its intended, however the government can't control Covidiots who just do as they please and ignore the restrictions and respect others."

This. ^

I don't understand what it is that some people don't understand.

I think some people are deliberately obtuse.

E

North West

Lockdown is primarily to restrict the spread and to save the NHS from collapsing. It's been doing exactly what its intended, however the government can't control Covidiots who just do as they please and ignore the restrictions and respect others.

This. ^

E"

I genuinely think some people lack the education and/or intelligence to understand. I'm a science educator and am appalled at the fundamental science illiteracy of the general public in this pandemic. Even very basic Biology from the first year of senior school seems outside the comprehension of many (and I'm talking across the various media platforms I look at, not just here).

The South

This. ^

E

I genuinely think some people lack the education and/or intelligence to understand. I'm a science educator and am appalled at the fundamental science illiteracy of the general public in this pandemic. Even very basic Biology from the first year of senior school seems outside the comprehension of many (and I'm talking across the various media platforms I look at, not just here)."

As a professional educator, do you think our standards are slipping?

Also, I think there's an element of being politicaly obtuse. I suspect some people deliberately misinterpret and confuse advice and information from those who hold an opposite political position.

Red good = blue bad or blue good = red bad, so I'll deliberately find a "flaw" in the logic to justify my position and prove how bad the other side are. Unfortunately it often shows how biased/obtuse they are.

I'm not sure I've explained my thoughts adequately, it's early, I need tea and desperately need sex, my heads a bit fuzzy.

E

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"I posted a similar question before but wanted to explore it further. Anyone else feel the world is reacting wrong to this virus. Part of me thinks vulnerable people should self isolate. Treat covid19 as a very bad flu virus and yes some healthy people will die but the whole thing would be over sooner to allow the world to resume. The world is over populated anyway, obesity is out of control andif old people with serious life threatening illnesses are being kept alive to prolong a less than enjoyable life. Thoughts?"

The South

What does that mean? 'flu have'? Flu has? Jumped over ? Skipped?

It means that somehow there havent been the flu/influenza this year either."

Maybe, just maybe, it's because for most of the year we've only ventured out when it's absolutely necessary, in the main we've stayed 6 feet away from anyone else, we've not socialised and when we have gone out we've been wearing face masks.

It's really not rocket science.

E

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

well theres 2 for the cull