FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > not what you know, its who you know

not what you know, its who you know

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

all it takes is a couple of messages and you can join the covid band wagon in over pricing ....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8989427/Matt-Hancocks-neighbour-no-experience-making-medical-supplies-won-Covid-testing-kit-contract.html

wonder who else has made a killing (no pun) from it all?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"all it takes is a couple of messages and you can join the covid band wagon in over pricing ....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8989427/Matt-Hancocks-neighbour-no-experience-making-medical-supplies-won-Covid-testing-kit-contract.html

wonder who else has made a killing (no pun) from it all?"

The guy employed the right people and setup about making a product the country needed so what's your problem ?

Would you rather they had been brought in from china it india ?

So much for the brexit spirit when all people can do is slag off entrepreneurs

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"all it takes is a couple of messages and you can join the covid band wagon in over pricing ....

The guy employed the right people and setup about making a product the country needed so what's your problem ?

So much for the brexit spirit when all people can do is slag off entrepreneurs "

I'd rather it was given to someone with a proven track record in the specific field, rather than a friend of a minister...

Don't see how this is hard to understand.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Your jealous you do not have the ability or the drive to do this,hope he and others make a fortune if they create good products etc

Edinburgh

wonder who else has made a killing (no pun) from it all?Your jealous you do not have the ability or the drive to do this,hope he and others make a fortune if they create good products etc"

The point, which you seem to have missed entirely, is the suggestion that he got the job entirely because of who he knows, not his supposed ability or drive. Keep trying though.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

So much for the brexit spirit when all people can do is slag off entrepreneurs

I'd rather it was given to someone with a proven track record in the specific field, rather than a friend of a minister...

Don't see how this is hard to understand. "

Why is it so hard to understand that there wasnt enough people with a proven track record to make this stuff, it is probable that the vast majority was produced in china before March, good luck to those who got of their ass to make it, providing work for others, of course there has to be a balance to ensure the ppe is up to standard but that applies to ALL ppe, All I see is the haters moaning about anything and everything the government does, just as well the whole country isnt the same and some of us get on with things and support the efforts to overcome the problems

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The cons biggest failure - MPs wife given job of test and trace. £12 billions blown on private companies running heath services. They have failed for months to trace many people, resulting in thousands of additional infections. Additionally £6 billions more paid to them to do more of the same.

More than the costs of fire services and the police combined

And still causing more infections and deaths, not helping us.

The woman has no experience in health services. Her performance is more than enough to get her removed and replaced by someone who can do the job properly.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

The headline makes it sound like the owner of a pub won a contract to supply ppe. If you read on then you will find that he owns a packaging company so this is just typical sensationalist click bait.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

The company did not make PPE. It made/makes test tubes and funnels for the labs who test Covid samples. These are not complex items to produce.

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

wonder who else has made a killing (no pun) from it all?Your jealous you do not have the ability or the drive to do this,hope he and others make a fortune if they create good products etc"

If if it was put out to tender for anyone with that drive and ability to apply for as I'm sure there's more than 1.

Then if it was awarded to the person / company with the best mix of experience, track record, ability to deliver as promised and at the best value point for the tax payer who will ultimately pick up the bill then fair enough.

The goverments track record of funding friends, family members and colleagues etc during this pandemic suggests the above might not have been the case (again).

KJ

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

wonder who else has made a killing (no pun) from it all?Your jealous you do not have the ability or the drive to do this,hope he and others make a fortune if they create good products etc

If if it was put out to tender for anyone with that drive and ability to apply for as I'm sure there's more than 1.

Then if it was awarded to the person / company with the best mix of experience, track record, ability to deliver as promised and at the best value point for the tax payer who will ultimately pick up the bill then fair enough.

The goverments track record of funding friends, family members and colleagues etc during this pandemic suggests the above might not have been the case (again).

KJ"

That works in normal times, but when you have a health care professional on every news saying they are short of this that or the other, then you buy what ever you can get from whoever has it at whatever price. You accept that some of it will be substandard or never arrive and maybe you subsequently try to recover your money.

Why wouldn't Hancock pass on his neighbour's offer of help to his department?

the wetlands

wonder who else has made a killing (no pun) from it all?Your jealous you do not have the ability or the drive to do this,hope he and others make a fortune if they create good products etc

KJ"

have you even the slightest idea of the cost and timescale of a government tender ?

No don't bother to answer that bevause you obviously don't.

the wetlands

The point, which you seem to have missed entirely, is the suggestion that he got the job entirely because of who he knows, not his supposed ability or drive. Keep trying though. "

Body missed the "point" but used common sense to see the word "suggested" and the source and came to the conclusion it's shite.

The guy did well.

Teesside

[Removed by poster at 26/11/20 15:03:48]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

KJ

have you even the slightest idea of the cost and timescale of a government tender ?

I work for a local authority so absolutely do.

You literally spend your days picking at many different people on this forum.

You really are a tool.

KJ"

1st class

Teesside

KJ

You really are a tool.

KJ

1st class "

I decide to deleted it but you quoted me so hey ho I stand by what I said so I guess its another forum ban for me no doubt. Yet he gets to chip away at people all the time.

KJ

KJ

You really are a tool.

KJ

1st class

I decide to deleted it but you quoted me so hey ho I stand by what I said so I guess its another forum ban for me no doubt. Yet he gets to chip away at people all the time.

KJ"

I've always wondered why the mods haven't picked up on his smarmy sarcastic responses to just about everybody

Teesside

KJ

You really are a tool.

KJ

1st class

KJ

I've always wondered why the mods haven't picked up on his smarmy sarcastic responses to just about everybody "

Totally buddy

He never posts more than a few lines and its usually to pick at someone, be sarcastic or just be plain rude.

KJ

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

How dare you come on here and suggest the gmnt are giving contracts out to people they know?

Absolutely scandalous accusation!

in the sticks

I actually do have experience on government/nhs/local authorities tenders and can tell anyone its quicker to walk to the North Pole ... most companies give up due to how complex it is.

I know a few PPE providers who never got a look in, a couple done every with some extra help coughs!

Mat Hancock said in March it was struggling to get PPE to the front line so I contacted my MP why this so and offered services of local transport companies. The MP thanked me and wrote to the department of health, they got a reply back 3 months later ...

liverpool

KJ

That works in normal times, but when you have a health care professional on every news saying they are short of this that or the other, then you buy what ever you can get from whoever has it at whatever price. You accept that some of it will be substandard or never arrive and maybe you subsequently try to recover your money.

Why wouldn't Hancock pass on his neighbour's offer of help to his department?"

Probally because he shouldnt get a fuck of gmnt contract simply by knowing a gmnt minister?

liverpool

"I actually do have experience on government/nhs/local authorities tenders and can tell anyone its quicker to walk to the North Pole ... most companies give up due to how complex it is.

I know a few PPE providers who never got a look in, a couple done every with some extra help coughs!

Mat Hancock said in March it was struggling to get PPE to the front line so I contacted my MP why this so and offered services of local transport companies. The MP thanked me and wrote to the department of health, they got a reply back 3 months later ..."

Always helps to have a tory on the board

"I actually do have experience on government/nhs/local authorities tenders and can tell anyone its quicker to walk to the North Pole ... most companies give up due to how complex it is.

Mat Hancock said in March it was struggling to get PPE to the front line so I contacted my MP why this so and offered services of local transport companies. The MP thanked me and wrote to the department of health, they got a reply back 3 months later ..."

SOURCES!!!! kidding mate fuck sources

the wetlands

KJ

You really are a tool.

KJ

1st class

KJ

I've always wondered why the mods haven't picked up on his smarmy sarcastic responses to just about everybody

Totally buddy

He never posts more than a few lines and its usually to pick at someone, be sarcastic or just be plain rude.

KJ"

Is it an open forum for discussion or is it by invitation only ?

Edinburgh

KJ

You really are a tool.

KJ

1st class

KJ

Totally buddy

KJ

Is it an open forum for discussion or is it by invitation only ?

"

What makes you think it isn't open? Have you been stopped from posting? Doesn't look like it..

the wetlands

Hopefully if I'm wrong the mods will correct me, but I think it's ok to have an opinion, debate and challenge other opinions but it's not ok to post about another member especially when it's abuse and others join in to abuse.

In other words play the ball not the player.

If you've no comments to make on the discussion then it's fine to scroll on past.

Just my interpretation of the forum rules and I could be wrong

And going back to the subject of the issue I noticed someone else agrees that while it would be better to tender for everything bought from the public purse it's not always practical due to cost and the time scale of the tender process.

The article states that the pub owner was not friends with Matt Hancock he simply served him a drink maybe on more than one occasion ?

This person employed british people to make or repack products in the uk and he and his employees will pay tax to the uk government which is what people want.

If he was paid more for his services than was right and proper then that could be a different matter but I didn't see any reference to that.

bournemouth

"The cons biggest failure - MPs wife given job of test and trace. £12 billions blown on private companies running heath services. They have failed for months to trace many people, resulting in thousands of additional infections. Additionally £6 billions more paid to them to do more of the same.

The woman has no experience in health services. Her performance is more than enough to get her removed and replaced by someone who can do the job properly. "

Can you name one person who has experience of running track and trace ?

liverpool

"Hopefully if I'm wrong the mods will correct me, but I think it's ok to have an opinion, debate and challenge other opinions but it's not ok to post about another member especially when it's abuse and others join in to abuse.

In other words play the ball not the player.

If you've no comments to make on the discussion then it's fine to scroll on past.

Just my interpretation of the forum rules and I could be wrong

And going back to the subject of the issue I noticed someone else agrees that while it would be better to tender for everything bought from the public purse it's not always practical due to cost and the time scale of the tender process.

The article states that the pub owner was not friends with Matt Hancock he simply served him a drink maybe on more than one occasion ?

This person employed british people to make or repack products in the uk and he and his employees will pay tax to the uk government which is what people want.

If he was paid more for his services than was right and proper then that could be a different matter but I didn't see any reference to that.

"

There is clear evidence that millions of pounds in contracts given to companies with vague explanations given.

Several of these companies have links to the gmnt in terms of advisors.

When asked in parliament where a missing £16m has gone, reece mogg simply refused to answer.

There should be an independent review because it absolutely stinks.

I'm not holding my breath.

By *layfull pairingCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

When your desperate to get stuff done and there’s not enough expertise or supply... when there’s no better option, your going to go to your mates who you can trust not to let you down for help... isn’t that what we all do ?

By *andlingswingersCouple  over a year ago

Woodbridge

"

Why is it so hard to understand that there wasnt enough people with a proven track record to make this stuff?"

Except, of course, there were companies in the UK with a proven track record who contacted government offering to make PPE who were completely and totally ignored while all normal procurement procedures were junked and contracts awarded to companies who proved NOT to be able to make anything that worked, simply on the basis of who they knew.

All of which is easy to find out if you can be bothered.

By *andlingswingersCouple  over a year ago

Woodbridge

"

Can you name one person who has experience of running track and trace ? "

Oooh, let me think..... the NHS, maybe, who seem to have been able to run STD clinics on that basis since 1947? The Institute of Tropical Diseases, who found people who had been close to people with the Ebola virus?

Gah! No, you're right, that's at least two people.

North West

"

Why is it so hard to understand that there wasnt enough people with a proven track record to make this stuff?

Except, of course, there were companies in the UK with a proven track record who contacted government offering to make PPE who were completely and totally ignored while all normal procurement procedures were junked and contracts awarded to companies who proved NOT to be able to make anything that worked, simply on the basis of who they knew.

All of which is easy to find out if you can be bothered."

This company were not making PPE. They were making test tubes and funnels for testing labs. Very simple items.

liverpool

"When your desperate to get stuff done and there’s not enough expertise or supply... when there’s no better option, your going to go to your mates who you can trust not to let you down for help... isn’t that what we all do ? "

Not sure if serious

liverpool

"

Why is it so hard to understand that there wasnt enough people with a proven track record to make this stuff?

All of which is easy to find out if you can be bothered."

Pesky facts

in the sticks

"

This company were not making PPE. They were making test tubes and funnels for testing labs. Very simple items."

It could be simple items, but its for the NHS ... so has to go through the dogma like every other contract. Places will need to be inspected, background checks done etc

Unless you know a lodge member or minister... allegedly

Well said and we’ll informed.

North West

"

This company were not making PPE. They were making test tubes and funnels for testing labs. Very simple items.

It could be simple items, but its for the NHS ... so has to go through the dogma like every other contract. Places will need to be inspected, background checks done etc

Unless you know a lodge member or minister... allegedly "

The guy filled in the form on the Dept of Health website and his company were approved to supply test tubes and funnels, not necessarily to the NHS, but to the private labs doing the vast majority of Covid swab tests. To convert, for example, a plastic moulding production line into moulding plastic funnels rather than, say, moulded plastic packaging is not a leap too far.

The fact is other posters are getting het up about PPE supplies when in fact this particular story has naff all to do with PPE.

Plenty of other suppliers filled in forms on the DfH website and were awarded temporary, emergency contracts, including garment manufacturers who did start turning out gowns and scrubs etc.

in the sticks

"

The guy filled in the form on the Dept of Health website and his company were approved to supply test tubes and funnels, not necessarily to the NHS, but to the private labs doing the vast majority of Covid swab tests. To convert, for example, a plastic moulding production line into moulding plastic funnels rather than, say, moulded plastic packaging is not a leap too far.

The fact is other posters are getting het up about PPE supplies when in fact this particular story has naff all to do with PPE.

Plenty of other suppliers filled in forms on the DfH website and were awarded temporary, emergency contracts, including garment manufacturers who did start turning out gowns and scrubs etc."

I dare say other companies were granted emergency contracts, I know a few... and they only got them as they already ticked the boxes with other government departments.

North West

"

Plenty of other suppliers filled in forms on the DfH website and were awarded temporary, emergency contracts, including garment manufacturers who did start turning out gowns and scrubs etc.

I dare say other companies were granted emergency contracts, I know a few... and they only got them as they already ticked the boxes with other government departments."

Just because you know a few companies etc doesn't mean you know about every company that received emergency contracts. Has the quality of the test tubes and funnels been questioned?

the wetlands

"

I dare say other companies were granted emergency contracts, I know a few... and they only got them as they already ticked the boxes with other government departments.

Just because you know a few companies etc doesn't mean you know about every company that received emergency contracts. Has the quality of the test tubes and funnels been questioned? "

Or the price ?

By *ugget O CassMan  over a year ago

Salt lake

So much for the brexit spirit when all people can do is slag off entrepreneurs "

Valid point but some people just like to hate they don't care about saving lives if it means they can hate.

in the sticks

Prices would of gone through the roof, many think its profiting, but most of the pricing goes up due to the time and effort to get the contract. If your company has been waiting and working for 6 months jumping through hoops, company wants the money back.

But under covid quite a lot has been profiteering unfortunately... interesting to see public accounts

liverpool

"Prices would of gone through the roof, many think its profiting, but most of the pricing goes up due to the time and effort to get the contract. If your company has been waiting and working for 6 months jumping through hoops, company wants the money back.

But under covid quite a lot has been profiteering unfortunately... interesting to see public accounts"

One man has been paid £21m to act as a broker

bournemouth

"

Oooh, let me think..... the NHS, maybe, who seem to have been able to run STD clinics on that basis since 1947? The Institute of Tropical Diseases, who found people who had been close to people with the Ebola virus?

Gah! No, you're right, that's at least two people. "

That's like saying because you have a car licence you could do the same as Lewis Hamilton

North West

"

Gah! No, you're right, that's at least two people. "

Local councils seem to have done a bloody good job compared to the centralised Track and Trace. Anyone who has supervised the above activities are also extremely well qualified to manage such a scheme.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"The cons biggest failure - MPs wife given job of test and trace. £12 billions blown on private companies running heath services. They have failed for months to trace many people, resulting in thousands of additional infections. Additionally £6 billions more paid to them to do more of the same.

The woman has no experience in health services. Her performance is more than enough to get her removed and replaced by someone who can do the job properly.

Can you name one person who has experience of running track and trace ? "

Seb Coe.......oh hang on that was track and field

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"The headline makes it sound like the owner of a pub won a contract to supply ppe. If you read on then you will find that he owns a packaging company so this is just typical sensationalist click bait."

The lawyer of the owner denied there’d been any contact with Matt Hancock. Then journalists showed proof that he had and they changed their story. Still, nothing to see here.

liverpool

"The headline makes it sound like the owner of a pub won a contract to supply ppe. If you read on then you will find that he owns a packaging company so this is just typical sensationalist click bait.

The lawyer of the owner denied there’d been any contact with Matt Hancock. Then journalists showed proof that he had and they changed their story. Still, nothing to see here. "

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Isnt it always true that the PM employs family / cronies whenever they have a ' great idea' about something .. the likelihood is someone is getting a backhander and ultimately the party in power usually make a profit ..

Thats of course if the kit works .. which it seems not to have the first time .. still someone close to the PM made some good money and it all had to be re ordered ..

Self serving has unfortunatley always been the way with this government

liverpool

"Isnt it always true that the PM employs family / cronies whenever they have a ' great idea' about something .. the likelihood is someone is getting a backhander and ultimately the party in power usually make a profit ..

Thats of course if the kit works .. which it seems not to have the first time .. still someone close to the PM made some good money and it all had to be re ordered ..

Self serving has unfortunatley always been the way with this government

"

Doesnt make it right though?

And we arent talking a few backhanders..we are looking at millions.

There was a memo leaked actually looking for people to make a profit.

By *lub F Co.DurhamCouple  over a year ago

Stanley

The takeaway next door to us and the fish & chip shop a few doors down, and bloody good luck to them I say, and too anyone else who has filled a gap, spotted a gap or seen a need during this pandemic!

the wetlands

So how much did this guy make ?

What would have been the price from another supplier?

Was there another supplier with capacity ?

Did he take work from an established uk supplier ?

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

KJ"

The normal tender routine was cut down due to there being a world shortage of PPE. The government were being castigated for not suppling PPE not only to hospitals but to other privately owned places who in normal times would source their own.

The result of the change was enough PPE to go round, problem solved.

Yes some PPE was not up to standard for covid wards but that PPE safe to be used in more normal conditions.

By *edtothecore.2.0Woman  over a year ago

Kings Lynn

Daily mail..... LOL

liverpool

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/18/ppe-suppliers-with-political-ties-given-high-priority-status-report-reveals

The facts are all here.

» Add a new message to this topic