FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > COVID Fear factory

COVID Fear factory

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *r-Oreo OP   Man  over a year ago

Telford Wellington

Anyone else getting fed up on this doom and gloom messages from the media, saying how many cases of the Indian variant we have like that matters.

Even the government spokesmen are worse than Chris Whitty.

The media won't tell you that so far the vaccine is working and the Indian variant isn't escaping the vaccine..

The media won't tell you that among the top 10 cause of death last month, COVID was number 9..

Even Bojo today seemed optimistic because he knows the vaccines are working.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Nope. I don't watch it.

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

Given up watching the news now

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I dont watch the news either so much, when you dont hear about it for a while, it feels like you live in a parallel world.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"I dont watch the news either so much, when you dont hear about it for a while, it feels like you live in a parallel world."
Who else get that feeling too?

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Anyone else getting fed up on this doom and gloom messages from the media, saying how many cases of the Indian variant we have like that matters.

The media won't tell you that so far the vaccine is working and the Indian variant isn't escaping the vaccine..

The media won't tell you that among the top 10 cause of death last month, COVID was number 9..

Even Bojo today seemed optimistic because he knows the vaccines are working."

Is that the media (BBC/Sky etc) that reported yesterday re Covid being 9th on the list of causes in England?

Manchester (she/her)

"Anyone else getting fed up on this doom and gloom messages from the media, saying how many cases of the Indian variant we have like that matters.

Is that the media (BBC/Sky etc) that reported yesterday re Covid being 9th on the list of causes in England?"

By *nmkinkCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

The media have been constant in their reporting of how the vaccine is working

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Nope. I don't watch it."

You don't need to.

Reading this board is enough ridiculous negative pessimism.

Telford Wellington

Loool

As long as the vaccines work which they do, I'm sure by June 21st the night and swinger clubs are gonna re open and no more social distancing in those settings..

That's all I care about at the moment..

I miss going to xtasia with my mates and having a good time

I hope they are working

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

It's doom and gloom since first day...but obviously still many people believe media

By *heltenhamBiGuyMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

The media thrive on doom and gloom... it's what sells newspapers, gets clickbait and hits the tv news channels

Manchester (she/her)

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

Reading this board is enough ridiculous negative pessimism."

I'm delighted by the success of the vaccine program

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"The media thrive on doom and gloom... it's what sells newspapers, gets clickbait and hits the tv news channels"
Exactly they have now turned on the traffic light travel system saying its hard to understand ffs

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

The only covid fear factory I'm concerned about is the misinformation about being vaccinated that I'm seeing on social media as this could slow down restoration of normality.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"Loool

As long as the vaccines work which they do, I'm sure by June 21st the night and swinger clubs are gonna re open and no more social distancing in those settings..

That's all I care about at the moment..

I miss going to xtasia with my mates and having a good time "

Looking at my news feed on fab, Pandora’s in Leeds was open last night and tonight, judging by the comments everybody had a great “social meet”

Totally fed up. Literally like it’s never ending and seem like when there’s the light at the end of the tunnel, something else keeps changing the finish line...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Don't get scientific evidence from the media but from the source. No problem, it's not difficult to grasp.

Manchester (she/her)

"Don't get scientific evidence from the media but from the source. No problem, it's not difficult to grasp. "

Central

"I dont watch the news either so much, when you dont hear about it for a while, it feels like you live in a parallel world.Who else get that feeling too?"

It often seems like many of us live in an alternative reality to many, except they don't have much reality in theirs.

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

Well said!

Whatever the mainstream media may say or do, nothing is more damaging than the bollocks on social media, YouTube and conspiracy-filled forums.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Being aware of what's going on is a good thing. But agree we need a bit better balance with positive news, and also do away with the bloody conspiracy media noise that helps nobody.... The "I had a vaccine and it gave me a headache" brigade.

If you did not watch or listen to the media and walked outside your house and people were not wearing masks would you realise there was a so called pandemic?

Manchester (she/her)

"If you did not watch or listen to the media and walked outside your house and people were not wearing masks would you realise there was a so called pandemic?"

By that notion, HIV doesn't exist either, right?

Oh good, that's a pain in the arse.

Telford Wellington

Totally fed up. Literally like it’s never ending and seem like when there’s the light at the end of the tunnel, something else keeps changing the finish line... "

My point exactly. I am getting fed up of this..If by June 21st the country doesn't open up honestly I'll join the protesters. I'm sure by then the over 18s in England would've been invited to get their jab.

Tin town

"If you did not watch or listen to the media and walked outside your house and people were not wearing masks would you realise there was a so called pandemic?

Oh good, that's a pain in the arse."

Global warming...

Cancer...

Racism...

Football..

All cured at a stroke.... Brilliant.

Manchester (she/her)

"If you did not watch or listen to the media and walked outside your house and people were not wearing masks would you realise there was a so called pandemic?

Global warming...

Cancer...

Racism...

Football..

All cured at a stroke.... Brilliant. "

Canada. Canada is #fakenews

Global warming...

Cancer...

Racism...

Football..

All cured at a stroke.... Brilliant. "

I see you don't understand what a pandemic is then.

Manchester (she/her)

Global warming...

Cancer...

Racism...

Football..

I see you don't understand what a pandemic is then. "

I look out my window. I don't see any HIV. HIV is classed as a pandemic.

So HIV is fake?

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Media coverage is useful for one or two purposes to make those aware who are still awaiting or deciding on the vaccine, whether UK based or globally the benefits, that the vaccine is doing it's purpose protecting human life.

Newcastle

Totally fed up. Literally like it’s never ending and seem like when there’s the light at the end of the tunnel, something else keeps changing the finish line...

My point exactly. I am getting fed up of this..If by June 21st the country doesn't open up honestly I'll join the protesters. I'm sure by then the over 18s in England would've been invited to get their jab."

I heard that Boris Johnson phone number suppose to be available online this was mentioned on the news and was said in case anyone wants to contact him so I've pointed you in the right direction

Manchester (she/her)

I was offered my first two days ago, for what it's worth. I'm 36 late in the year.

Global warming...

Cancer...

Racism...

Football..

So HIV is fake?"

It's amazing you don't see the difference or even understand the point made.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

My point exactly. I am getting fed up of this..If by June 21st the country doesn't open up honestly I'll join the protesters. I'm sure by then the over 18s in England would've been invited to get their jab.

I heard that Boris Johnson phone number suppose to be available online this was mentioned on the news and was said in case anyone wants to contact him so I've pointed you in the right direction "

I think that was more for aspiring businesses women who needed a helping hand tbf

Manchester (she/her)

Global warming...

Cancer...

Racism...

Football..

So HIV is fake?

It's amazing you don't see the difference or even understand the point made. "

I think you think it's fake because you don't personally see it.

I think your point is nonsense

Newcastle

I heard that Boris Johnson phone number suppose to be available online this was mentioned on the news and was said in case anyone wants to contact him so I've pointed you in the right direction

I think that was more for aspiring businesses women who needed a helping hand tbf"

I didn't think that but I'm sure someone would still be able to give some guidance

By *ockdownerMan  over a year ago

Preston

I've not watched the news or any of Boris's announcements for over 8 months now as I refuse to be bombarded by bloody covid-19.

Manchester (she/her)

I've not watched the news or any of Boris's announcements for over 8 months now as I refuse to be bombarded by bloody covid-19. "

I've not watched the news in 13 months because I'm sick of lying politicians. I scan the news to see if I have any new legal obligations.

I follow relevant experts. Listening to an infectious disease doctor right now.

If you want real news, then make your own mind up using facts form the WHO. The media are full of noise and can make a flat tyre on a bike sound like the zebrugge disaster.

If you’re what a horror movie, you’ll get scared.

So don’t watch what you don’t want to hear.

the invisibility of the virus has been the big problem. you don't see people dying.. or ill even.. maybe that means the media message of stay at home and self isolation worked.

I've seen plenty at testing sites

Manchester (she/her)

"the invisibility of the virus has been the big problem. you don't see people dying.. or ill even.. maybe that means the media message of stay at home and self isolation worked.

I've seen plenty at testing sites "

Yes. I think most people don't see it so they're not sure it's real. Plus lack of trust in authority.

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

I've not watched the news or any of Boris's announcements for over 8 months now as I refuse to be bombarded by bloody covid-19.

I've not watched the news in 13 months because I'm sick of lying politicians. I scan the news to see if I have any new legal obligations.

I follow relevant experts. Listening to an infectious disease doctor right now."

You scan the news to see if you have any new legal obligations? And follow ‘relevant experts’ for COVID ?

Manchester (she/her)

You scan the news to see if you have any new legal obligations? And follow ‘relevant experts’ for COVID ? "

Yup.

If Boris says wear a yellow hat on Wednesdays or be fined £500, I'll wear a yellow hat because I quite like keeping my money.

I make my decisions, otherwise, based on virologists, epidemiologists, immunologists, and infectious disease doctors. Not all scientists are equal, not all doctors are equal - I rely on my best understanding of the scientific process.

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

You scan the news to see if you have any new legal obligations? And follow ‘relevant experts’ for COVID ?

Yup.

If Boris says wear a yellow hat on Wednesdays or be fined £500, I'll wear a yellow hat because I quite like keeping my money.

I make my decisions, otherwise, based on virologists, epidemiologists, immunologists, and infectious disease doctors. Not all scientists are equal, not all doctors are equal - I rely on my best understanding of the scientific process."

There are no other sources for legislation?

Manchester (she/her)

Yup.

I make my decisions, otherwise, based on virologists, epidemiologists, immunologists, and infectious disease doctors. Not all scientists are equal, not all doctors are equal - I rely on my best understanding of the scientific process.

There are no other sources for legislation? "

The news is quick and easily digestible. And when it comes to the law around Covid, I don't give enough of a shit as long as I'm broadly compliant. I don't care what the politicians say. I care about the science.

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Demanufacture was a banging album. The later Fear Factory stuff, less so.

By *ristoltwoCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

The data for Coronavirus jabs is updated weekly at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions

Report 13th May 2021

Pfizer – Total adverse reactions 165986 and 374 deaths

AstraZenica - Total adverse reactions 650681 and 786 deaths

Turn the TV over and don't read any tabloid rags.

Sorted

that opinion is not approved of on here here mate might want to change it

"The data for Coronavirus jabs is updated weekly at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions

Report 13th May 2021

"

what if like to know is how they concluded the vaccine caused the death. Any link or explanation to this?

Tin town

"The data for Coronavirus jabs is updated weekly at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions

Report 13th May 2021

what if like to know is how they concluded the vaccine caused the death. Any link or explanation to this?"

I imagine (but don't know) that it's the same as the covid reporting... Ie... Deaths within 28 days of positive covid test... Possible its deaths within 28 days of vaccine?

Report 13th May 2021

what if like to know is how they concluded the vaccine caused the death. Any link or explanation to this?

I imagine (but don't know) that it's the same as the covid reporting... Ie... Deaths within 28 days of positive covid test... Possible its deaths within 28 days of vaccine? "

Good point I'd like to know what the connection is. I heard something about blood clots but then later heard there was no link. Obviously on mainstream media.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Hmmm so if someone is vaccinated but then catches Covid within first few weeks and is one of those the vaccine doesn’t give sufficient protection to (reduce severity) and then dies...

Are they recorded as “within 28 days of Covid positive” or “28 days of getting vaccine”

????

Tin town

"Hmmm so if someone is vaccinated but then catches Covid within first few weeks and is one of those the vaccine doesn’t give sufficient protection to (reduce severity) and then dies...

Are they recorded as “within 28 days of Covid positive” or “28 days of getting vaccine”

????"

Did they get hit by that bastard bus?

Brighton

"Hmmm so if someone is vaccinated but then catches Covid within first few weeks and is one of those the vaccine doesn’t give sufficient protection to (reduce severity) and then dies...

????

Did they get hit by that bastard bus? "

That bus driver is fucking lethal.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Report 13th May 2021

"

People get ill and die every day. A medical condition or death arising within a period after a vaccination is not proof of an adverse reaction or death related to the vaccine. To conclude the illness and death figures quoted above are all the result of vaccination is just simply wrong and misleading! To identify if vaccines induced serious side effects or deaths you have to compare the yellow card reports against what is normal in the population and balance any increased vaccine risk from vaccination against the threat posed by the disease. On balance it remains very clear that in the population vaccination is preventing many more deaths and serious illness than any harm it causes.

Please watch UK Column news (just Google it and follow link) they speak truth and back it up with factual based evidence they can prove the truth unlike all other MSM?

Telford Wellington

I just wish we could know the actual fact

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Being aware of what's going on is a good thing. But agree we need a bit better balance with positive news, and also do away with the bloody conspiracy media noise that helps nobody.... The "I had a vaccine and it gave me a headache" brigade. "

You call description of a mild side effect 'cospiracy noise'??

actually it was on the news last night that the vaccine is protection against the Indian variant, happy days.

...Up on the Downs

I follow relevant experts. Listening to an infectious disease doctor right now."

My infectious disease doctor is better than yours.

...Up on the Downs

Report 13th May 2021

People get ill and die every day. A medical condition or death arising within a period after a vaccination is not proof of an adverse reaction or death related to the vaccine. To conclude the illness and death figures quoted above are all the result of vaccination is just simply wrong and misleading! To identify if vaccines induced serious side effects or deaths you have to compare the yellow card reports against what is normal in the population and balance any increased vaccine risk from vaccination against the threat posed by the disease. On balance it remains very clear that in the population vaccination is preventing many more deaths and serious illness than any harm it causes. "

** Other virologist, epidemiologist, infections disease specialist and world leading vaccine development specialist views which oppose are available.

...Up on the Downs

[Removed by poster at 23/05/21 12:25:38]

...Up on the Downs

Even Bojo today seemed optimistic because he knows the vaccines are working. actually it was on the news last night that the vaccine is protection against the Indian variant, happy days."

For 6 out of 10 Az cases. Make sure you're not one of the other 4.

By *ockdownerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"

."

Same here, if it's not in .gov guidance or an alert email from the HSE or IOSH then for me it either isn't doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant to me.

...Up on the Downs

Report 13th May 2021

"

And don't forget reporting of adverse events is estimated to be 1% of actual.

...Up on the Downs

????"

The former, of course. Thousands of car home residents died shortly after vaccination.

By *2123Man  over a year ago

All over

More worrying than covid is that people still live their lives in fear of what the mainstream media are portraying, especially the BBC. I trust covid more than these scaremongers, it’s a sad world we live in

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

"More worrying than covid is that people still live their lives in fear of what the mainstream media are portraying, especially the BBC. I trust covid more than these scaremongers, it’s a sad world we live in "

Well said

Manchester (she/her)

This thread is deliciously ironic

"It's doom and gloom since first day...but obviously still many people believe media "

It's funny that you're keeping the focus on the media. You're doing exactly what modem media requires, you're repeating what they say to promote debate. Every time you call out the media for being fake, for reporting one thing not another, you're encouraging more of the same behaviour. The only way to a really change the media, of you really do think it's all fake, is to ignore it. Otherwise, you're part of it. That's how the media works now.

Tin town

Report 13th May 2021

People get ill and die every day. A medical condition or death arising within a period after a vaccination is not proof of an adverse reaction or death related to the vaccine. To conclude the illness and death figures quoted above are all the result of vaccination is just simply wrong and misleading! To identify if vaccines induced serious side effects or deaths you have to compare the yellow card reports against what is normal in the population and balance any increased vaccine risk from vaccination against the threat posed by the disease. On balance it remains very clear that in the population vaccination is preventing many more deaths and serious illness than any harm it causes. "

In fairness. It is reasonable to expect that for the biggest health issue in our country for decades, and with a growing number of vaccine hesitant, and a growing body of misinformation spreading, that the govt would have some number cruncher doing exactly what you have suggested to encourage any hesitant. The fact that the govt are not putting out crystal clear numbers of serious side effects is poor / suspicious / negligent (pick one).

Tin town

"Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Being aware of what's going on is a good thing. But agree we need a bit better balance with positive news, and also do away with the bloody conspiracy media noise that helps nobody.... The "I had a vaccine and it gave me a headache" brigade.

You call description of a mild side effect 'cospiracy noise'??"

Some of the stuff absolutely is noise, some of it is relevant and some of it is reasonable and spot on. We don't have hysterical news or so I media about flu jab reactions... So yes mild side effects being blown up into a news story. Genuine and Significant side effects are news worthy.

All over

"Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Being aware of what's going on is a good thing. But agree we need a bit better balance with positive news, and also do away with the bloody conspiracy media noise that helps nobody.... The "I had a vaccine and it gave me a headache" brigade.

Some of the stuff absolutely is noise, some of it is relevant and some of it is reasonable and spot on. We don't have hysterical news or so I media about flu jab reactions... So yes mild side effects being blown up into a news story. Genuine and Significant side effects are news worthy. "

Difference is that it’s only short term side effects that are known and they are 100% expected. What are the long term effects? Nobody knows nor seems bothered. Maybe we’ll find out in 2023 when the trial period is over and the whole world population vaccinated and it’ll be to late

Flue vaccinations have been around a long time like other vaccines, we know both long and short term side effects.

"If you did not watch or listen to the media and walked outside your house and people were not wearing masks would you realise there was a so called pandemic?"

people wearing them because they are told to, not because they are worried about the virus. They day they say we don't have to wear them is the day they will be no more for the majority.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"Please watch UK Column news (just Google it and follow link) they speak truth and back it up with factual based evidence they can prove the truth unlike all other MSM?"

They speak their truth and sometimes the evidence is super sketchy to say the least .Quite a lot of what they say is supposition but that does also apply to most of the media in one way or another!

My money and belief is with the other 50 million people agreeing to take part in the biggest experiment ever and run the risk of it going wrong too ..

Because they or I don't want the planet as we know it to shut down...which one way or another it would..

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Some of the stuff absolutely is noise, some of it is relevant and some of it is reasonable and spot on. We don't have hysterical news or so I media about flu jab reactions... So yes mild side effects being blown up into a news story. Genuine and Significant side effects are news worthy.

Difference is that it’s only short term side effects that are known and they are 100% expected. What are the long term effects? Nobody knows nor seems bothered. Maybe we’ll find out in 2023 when the trial period is over and the whole world population vaccinated and it’ll be to late

Flue vaccinations have been around a long time like other vaccines, we know both long and short term side effects."

Its a risk..personally I don't really care about the relatively short period ..I'd argue most people know this too and are happy to take it for the greater good of us all .. A very unselfish act.. Arguably the biggest one in decades.

Just think.. Without me and lots of us doing this you wouldn't be getting into a pub, live concert, restaurant, gym or even an airplane this year

You're are welcome

All over

Flue vaccinations have been around a long time like other vaccines, we know both long and short term side effects.

Its a risk..personally I don't really care about the relatively short period ..I'd argue most people know this too and are happy to take it for the greater good of us all .. A very unselfish act.. Arguably the biggest one in decades.

Just think.. Without me and lots of us doing this you wouldn't be getting into a pub, live concert, restaurant, gym or even an airplane this year

You're are welcome

"

I’ll start by thanking you for your donating your health to the research of the covid vaccination

It’s a risk yeah, I’m not anti vax personally but Considering I’m relatively young and a lot of time to suffer the long term affects I’ll hang on a while. The short term effects aren’t a worry to me at all. I’ve had jabs in the past and have paid for extra jabs when going abroad, each time looked in to if they’re necessary and the risks and made my own mind up. In the future if a jab is still the answer for covid it’ll be on my list of jabs.

I don’t think that’s true, the reason things are opening back up is due to the recent most stricter lockdowns. Hence infections low and things opening, a little something like last time. I have no doubt numbers will start to rise a month after June 21st, especially with another new “super strain” on the horizon. After all you can still catch covid, spread it, need to social distance and wear masks after being vaccinated.

It’ll turn out like the flu, get vaccinated if your elderly or high risk. If not the survival rate is so high and the chances are you won’t even know you have it. I remember the early days the BBC showing people dropping dead in the street etc..

All over

You're are welcome

"

Just to clear it up I don’t have a issue with people being vaccinated, it’s personal choice. If your elderly or high risk you would be silly to not chance the vaccine and chance covid people know the risk and know their personal circumstances enough to make their minds up.

By *lashers500Couple  over a year ago

lisburn. don't judge lol

They are working as euthanasia...

Telford Wellington

I know the vaccine is safe and also the results from the large public events in Liverpool have proven that we can safely reopen. Why does the BBC still only portray the number of those with cases.. the number of deaths was 6 yesterday and those in the hospital still remained less than 1000.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"They are working as euthanasia... "

Who/what are?

Manchester (she/her)

"I know the vaccine is safe and also the results from the large public events in Liverpool have proven that we can safely reopen. Why does the BBC still only portray the number of those with cases.. the number of deaths was 6 yesterday and those in the hospital still remained less than 1000. "

Not a clue. I look on the government site directly if I need information on the stats, I don't wait to be told.

Tin town

people wearing them because they are told to, not because they are worried about the virus. They day they say we don't have to wear them is the day they will be no more for the majority. "

In this country perhaps. As we don't have a great sense of responsibility to others. In other countries, mostly Eastern, they have routinely wore masks to protect others and will continue to do so. Hopefully we can live and let live without the aggression that some feel is necessary.

Brighton

One by product of mask wearing...

I have noticed how beautiful some people’s eyes are (no idea about the face but those eyes!!!!!)

Manchester (she/her)

people wearing them because they are told to, not because they are worried about the virus. They day they say we don't have to wear them is the day they will be no more for the majority.

In this country perhaps. As we don't have a great sense of responsibility to others. In other countries, mostly Eastern, they have routinely wore masks to protect others and will continue to do so. Hopefully we can live and let live without the aggression that some feel is necessary. "

I've already been shouted at several times for wearing my mask between shops.

Goodness, imagine (this was winter both times) covering your face. Imagine not wanting to change your mask for several corner stores.

Imagine the outrage of putting some cloth on my face other than out of compulsion. It obviously mortally offends total strangers and I should desist at once

Tin town

You're are welcome

Just to clear it up I don’t have a issue with people being vaccinated, it’s personal choice. If your elderly or high risk you would be silly to not chance the vaccine and chance covid people know the risk and know their personal circumstances enough to make their minds up. "

I think that's a massive assumption to make. I don't believe there are many people who know or understand risk. Hence why we need to be nannied through much of this. What are your chances of being hit by that bloody bus that keeps killing people after covid tests? Or injured in a traffic accident, of having a stroke or heart attack, of choking on food, of having an accident doing some DIY... And yes of catching and having symptoms of covid, of winning the premium bonds, the lotto etc.

People generally take the path of least resistance and most empathy to their "knowledge" so if their mate in mumsnet or at the pub tells them something they want to believe, or the BBC for that matter, they believe it and don't require any further evidence.

Tin town

You're are welcome

Just to clear it up I don’t have a issue with people being vaccinated, it’s personal choice. If your elderly or high risk you would be silly to not chance the vaccine and chance covid people know the risk and know their personal circumstances enough to make their minds up.

I think that's a massive assumption to make. I don't believe there are many people who know or understand risk. Hence why we need to be nannied through much of this. What are your chances of being hit by that bloody bus that keeps killing people after covid tests? Or injured in a traffic accident, of having a stroke or heart attack, of choking on food, of having an accident doing some DIY... And yes of catching and having symptoms of covid, of winning the premium bonds, the lotto etc.

People generally take the path of least resistance and most empathy to their "knowledge" so if their mate in mumsnet or at the pub tells them something they want to believe, or the BBC for that matter, they believe it and don't require any further evidence. "

To add to that, left to our own devices, many of us make poor choices in our health, that's why we are one of the unhealthy, unhappy, consume the most alcohol, smoke, eat till we burst, nations and its why we pay "experts" to deliver health policies for us....how good "team UK" are at doing health is a debate worth having.

By *estman for the jobMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Captain mannering were all doooomed I tell ya

I would say the influence and power of MSN is more damaging than any youtube or fake Facebook news article can be. The manipulation is not just in the headlines you read. Let's not forget CNN caught saying how Covid is "gangbusters" for ratings and hey would routinely exaggerate the figures. Please wake the F up people and do your own research.

Manchester (she/her)

"I would say the influence and power of MSN is more damaging than any youtube or fake Facebook news article can be. The manipulation is not just in the headlines you read. Let's not forget CNN caught saying how Covid is "gangbusters" for ratings and hey would routinely exaggerate the figures. Please wake the F up people and do your own research."

Have done, ta

Will keep masking and avoiding people at least until I'm fully vaccinated.

I've stopped listening to it now. I would never leave my house again and end up dying a old lonely frightened woman if i took it all in day after day. Enough is enough.

I've followed the rules, done everything that's been asked of me, had both jabs, time to live again and do my own risk assessment while enjoying the precious life i have been given!!!

Mrs

"I would say the influence and power of MSN is more damaging than any youtube or fake Facebook news article can be. The manipulation is not just in the headlines you read. Let's not forget CNN caught saying how Covid is "gangbusters" for ratings and hey would routinely exaggerate the figures. Please wake the F up people and do your own research.

Have done, ta

Will keep masking and avoiding people at least until I'm fully vaccinated."

Good luck with your last jab. I'm not getting the vaccine myself unless it becomes essential for travel but I'm no anti-vaxxer. I'm trusting my own immune system which dealt with covid once already with no issues.

Manchester (she/her)

"I would say the influence and power of MSN is more damaging than any youtube or fake Facebook news article can be. The manipulation is not just in the headlines you read. Let's not forget CNN caught saying how Covid is "gangbusters" for ratings and hey would routinely exaggerate the figures. Please wake the F up people and do your own research.

Have done, ta

Good luck with your last jab. I'm not getting the vaccine myself unless it becomes essential for travel but I'm no anti-vaxxer. I'm trusting my own immune system which dealt with covid once already with no issues."

Ok. I'll keep doing my own research and will rely on that to guide me.

My own research leads me to being vaccinated, to avoiding people until I have a full immune response, and to knowing (not trusting) that on a population level, the vaccine is much safer and more effective than leaving it to chance.

...Up on the Downs

You're are welcome

People generally take the path of least resistance and most empathy to their "knowledge" so if their mate in mumsnet or at the pub tells them something they want to believe, or the BBC for that matter, they believe it and don't require any further evidence. "

Very true. The subjective selection of evidence is a powerful bias too.

Dudley

Have done, ta

Good luck with your last jab. I'm not getting the vaccine myself unless it becomes essential for travel but I'm no anti-vaxxer. I'm trusting my own immune system which dealt with covid once already with no issues."

You do realise the vaccine is to contribute to herd immunity which will protect the most vulnerable people too, it's not just about protecting yourself.

By *oojCouple  over a year ago

exeter

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

Well said! "

Second this

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

I have to say OP, yes, I am sick and tired of it all now, reporting this and that, I have tried to avoid it of late but it seems to be getting pushed into our faces again. I totally understand its a major talking point and headline news but the thought of more lockdowns and restrictions really isn't going to do me any good or many others for that matter.

I'm starting to wonder the effectiveness of our vaccine campaign and the poi t of us all having it if the few that aren't getting the vaccine are going to stop the return to normally. At what point do we say enough is enough.

Dudley

I have to say OP, yes, I am sick and tired of it all now, reporting this and that, I have tried to avoid it of late but it seems to be getting pushed into our faces again. I totally understand its a major talking point and headline news but the thought of more lockdowns and restrictions really isn't going to do me any good or many others for that matter.

I'm starting to wonder the effectiveness of our vaccine campaign and the poi t of us all having it if the few that aren't getting the vaccine are going to stop the return to normally. At what point do we say enough is enough. "

Totally agree, it's the few that are going to ruin things for the many because they can't get their heads out of their arses long enough to see sense.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm starting to wonder the effectiveness of our vaccine campaign and the poi t of us all having it if the few that aren't getting the vaccine are going to stop the return to normally. At what point do we say enough is enough. "

Yes, it is wearing on me a bit. Have so many of us made so many sacrifices only to be pissed away by the few?

By *ngel696969Woman  over a year ago

Farnworth

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

Wouldn't that make it optimism?

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

Wouldn't that make it optimism? "

How come?

Manchester (she/her)

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

How come?"

Disclaimer: this is not criticising anyone's grammar. It's just explanation of a grammatical point.

A double negative, in English, becomes a positive.

So "I am not dishonest" means "I am honest".

So one could argue that "negative pessimism" could be read as "optimism".

(It could also be tautology, however - redundancy. The usual example of tautology is "she gave birth to two twins" - because twins automatically means two)

Brighton

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

How come?

Disclaimer: this is not criticising anyone's grammar. It's just explanation of a grammatical point.

(It could also be tautology, however - redundancy. The usual example of tautology is "she gave birth to two twins" - because twins automatically means two)"

(Not a comment on anyone specifically)

Grammar lessons on Fabswingers LOL. So many people who don’t seem to know the difference between:

There, Their, They’re

Your, You’re

So good luck with that!!!!

Manchester (she/her)

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

How come?

(It could also be tautology, however - redundancy. The usual example of tautology is "she gave birth to two twins" - because twins automatically means two)

(Not a comment on anyone specifically)

Grammar lessons on Fabswingers LOL. So many people who don’t seem to know the difference between:

There, Their, They’re

Your, You’re

So good luck with that!!!!"

I hesitated for that very reason.

But I hope I'm simply answering the question. Ha

Telford Wellington

I think its just a numbers game..im just watching the daily vaccine count for both first and second jobs .

We've got a winner in FAB bingo! Sooner or later every discussion or debate is answered by 'its a numbers game!'

Manchester (she/her)

"We've got a winner in FAB bingo! Sooner or later every discussion or debate is answered by 'its a numbers game!' "

Either that or Hitler

Telford Wellington

[Removed by poster at 26/05/21 21:51:12]

Telford Wellington

"We've got a winner in FAB bingo! Sooner or later every discussion or debate is answered by 'its a numbers game!' "

Not all the time duck

By *ngel696969Woman  over a year ago

Farnworth

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

How come?

(It could also be tautology, however - redundancy. The usual example of tautology is "she gave birth to two twins" - because twins automatically means two)"

Thank you

i no longer watch the news for covid as im kept up to date daily from all angles due to my job...

Telford Wellington

Now we are hearing June 21st isn't happening

"Nope. I don't watch it.

You don't need to.

This

By *icence_2_Thrill_006.9Man  over a year ago

Sussex Bi The Sea

Exactly

If you want any info on what todo or where to travel go to the Gov.uk site not Facearse

By *antingmore72Woman  over a year ago

Hastings

Maybe if you'd lost someone to covid you'd be thinking differently?! My father died alone and probbaly terrified after contracting covid in hospital. And all you're concerned about is June 21st.....lucky you!

Manchester (she/her)

"Maybe if you'd lost someone to covid you'd be thinking differently?! My father died alone and probbaly terrified after contracting covid in hospital. And all you're concerned about is June 21st.....lucky you! "

I'm sorry for your loss

"Maybe if you'd lost someone to covid you'd be thinking differently?! My father died alone and probbaly terrified after contracting covid in hospital. And all you're concerned about is June 21st.....lucky you! "

I lost family to covid too. I gotta ask what is your point? Do you expect the world to stop?

Central

"Now we are hearing June 21st isn't happening "

The dates for each of the relaxations were the easiest dates for them and subject to the conditions at the time. That we have rising infection numbers, especially of the new variant, is cause for concern. We probably should have delivered the last relaxation, as things were getting worse before that. The only things we have had delayed are starting restrictions, meaning that they have had to be more restrictive and far longer. Or they delayed taking decisions. Overall, we damaged the economy more and lost thousands more lives than we needed to.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Not frightened just fascinated at how people are starting to thinking like the goverment did when this all started, they didn't think it would get here from China, it's just a flu virus, let herd immunity take care of it tough if the old and afflicted die.

I suppose it's down to personal choice no one can force you to watch the news, or take the vaccine or even stop you socialising. All the goverment care about is they don't get the blame if you die, that's why we kept getting the disclaimer speil last year. You can go out but don't socialise, go to work but stay home, go to pub but don't go to the pub.

Dudley

"Now we are hearing June 21st isn't happening "

Are we?

"Now we are hearing June 21st isn't happening

Are we?"

Where??

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The UK vaccination programme is necessary; working well; scientifically based; efficacious; extremely costly; well organised; well accepted in spite of the anti xax conspiracy nutters; a major strategic success for Boris & co; a life saver for millions.

Millions in other jurisdictions such as India and Africa will not be so fortunate; we should count our blessings.

I do; every day.

"The UK vaccination programme is necessary; working well; scientifically based; efficacious; extremely costly; well organised; well accepted in spite of the anti xax conspiracy nutters; a major strategic success for Boris & co; a life saver for millions.

Millions in other jurisdictions such as India and Africa will not be so fortunate; we should count our blessings.

I do; every day. "

Well said

Tin town

"The UK vaccination programme is necessary; working well; scientifically based; efficacious; extremely costly; well organised; well accepted in spite of the anti xax conspiracy nutters; a major strategic success for Boris & co; a life saver for millions.

I do; every day. "

In terms of lives saved.... Let's have it right... 13200 I think was the number public health England have estimated to have saved so far. Its a good number but it isn't millions. We will only know how well its worked when it's done and reviewed, it's far too early to say if its a success or not yet after only a few months in the summer. I'd personally have given it to the mobile groups after group 1 were done and id have aligned the unlock down dates with the vaccine delivery dates..... But yes it seems to have been a success for the 5 months its been up and running so far. Let keep fingers crossed and when we are in winter hope it's similarly suvcessful when we know how long protection is offered for.

By *arahspiceCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

It's great the figures are lower yes !

But its vital we dont screw up again and get another massive wave

» Add a new message to this topic