FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Sydney is going into a 2 week hard lockdown.

Sydney is going into a 2 week hard lockdown.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

How do you think a hard lockdown would be like there and in general? Could people still go out like before or would there be curfew as well?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

It just goes to show however strict the travel bans are the virus will always find a way. Vaccination is the only way out of this.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Here's a list of the restrictions in place for Sydney and surrounding areas

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-26/nsw-covid-lockdown-expanded/100246622

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"How do you think a hard lockdown would be like there and in general? Could people still go out like before or would there be curfew as well? "

Take a look at the Sydney morning herald or 9 news... Stay at home order... Deserted streets...

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here..

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-sydney-braced-for-cases-surge-lockdown-latest-covid19-case-numbers/d6fb769c-021f-4659-a6dd-6d5c09996849

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Yeah it is a news link

I have just been reading about this, they have found 18 cases so are shutting down as they know the Delta variant is rampant. On the other side of the world it looks like we are about to open up more on about 15000 cases a day

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Yeah it is a news link

I have just been reading about this, they have found 18 cases so are shutting down as they know the Delta variant is rampant. On the other side of the world it looks like we are about to open up more on about 15000 cases a day"

yes this is shocking really. Think last time Australia did a lock down it was over 3 cases.. 2 weeks hard lockdown and them they have pretty much had normality apart from that. I know I'd rather be following that sort of logic. But there lockdowns have been severely enforced too

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

Have to see what new strains the winter brings, this isn’t over

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

24% of population - single dose vaccinated

5% of population- fully vaccinated

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah it is a news link

I have just been reading about this, they have found 18 cases so are shutting down as they know the Delta variant is rampant. On the other side of the world it looks like we are about to open up more on about 15000 cases a day"

For comparison's sake, if it helps, Sydney has about 5 million people, New South Wales has about 7 million (Sydney is the capital of New South Wales, like NYC is the capital of New York). The most populous areas surrounding Sydney (south to Wollongong, west to Blue Mountains, north to Central Coast) are in a more restrictive lockdown, the rest of the state have a few new measures.

Most of my family live in the affected area.

Until sometime last week there was lockdown for those living and working in four districts of Sydney, which meant one of my parents (they live together) was locked down and the other wasn't

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Just think how much time those University researchers will have to sit at their keyboards and go through all the Fab profiles that don't have that super watertight legal notice!!!!!

Manchester (she/her)

"24% of population - single dose vaccinated

"

Yes. Scott Morrison is a useless dickhead

"Here's a list of the restrictions in place for Sydney and surrounding areas

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-26/nsw-covid-lockdown-expanded/100246622"

Ty yes. I will have a look at that link too

"How do you think a hard lockdown would be like there and in general? Could people still go out like before or would there be curfew as well?

Take a look at the Sydney morning herald or 9 news... Stay at home order... Deserted streets...

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-sydney-braced-for-cases-surge-lockdown-latest-covid19-case-numbers/d6fb769c-021f-4659-a6dd-6d5c09996849"

Ty. I will also have a look at that link too and yes I reckon the streets will be deserted as well.

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah it is a news link

I have just been reading about this, they have found 18 cases so are shutting down as they know the Delta variant is rampant. On the other side of the world it looks like we are about to open up more on about 15000 cases a day yes this is shocking really. Think last time Australia did a lock down it was over 3 cases.. 2 weeks hard lockdown and them they have pretty much had normality apart from that. I know I'd rather be following that sort of logic. But there lockdowns have been severely enforced too"

Lockdowns are decided at a state or territory level. It's the first Sydney wide lockdown in a very long time. Berejiklian (NSW premier) is facing criticism for not locking down sooner.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

UK has more vaxxed and we have more cases so your facts dont prove anything

here

UK has more vaxxed and we have more cases so your facts dont prove anything "

... these statistics are fact though.

you can check them at health.gov.au

Manchester (she/her)

you can check them at health.gov.au"

They are.

Morrison largely kept the virus out.

Johnson got vaccines.

Both useless dickheads in their own ways.

I'd much rather Australia's disease burden and length/severity of lockdown, though.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Yeah it is a news link

I have just been reading about this, they have found 18 cases so are shutting down as they know the Delta variant is rampant. On the other side of the world it looks like we are about to open up more on about 15000 cases a day

For comparison's sake, if it helps, Sydney has about 5 million people, New South Wales has about 7 million (Sydney is the capital of New South Wales, like NYC is the capital of New York). The most populous areas surrounding Sydney (south to Wollongong, west to Blue Mountains, north to Central Coast) are in a more restrictive lockdown, the rest of the state have a few new measures.

Until sometime last week there was lockdown for those living and working in four districts of Sydney, which meant one of my parents (they live together) was locked down and the other wasn't "

For more comparison, GM's data is for around 2 and half million people so the figures in this data would have to be doubled.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/latest-coronavirus-infection-rates-greater-20915281

Manchester (she/her)

Indeed - it's a comparison I make with my family often.

Just thought a background - what the areas are, population, etc, might be useful here.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Just think, if the United Kingdom had closed its borders and had a two week lockdown at the time when our cases were only in double digits, combined with an effective process to track and isolate contacts of those very few cases... We could have had 18 months of almost normal life, interspersed with brief localised and targetted restrictions. Instead of 18 months of widespread disruption of economy and personal life, interspersed with brief periods of reduced restrictions that almost immediately lead to surges in hospitalisations. Oh and 130 thousand deaths, multiple millions of long term ill, years of knock on effects in the overall health picture for the country.

I wonder which of these two nations has done the better job of governing during a global crisis?

here

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

I'd much rather Australia's disease burden and length/severity of lockdown, though."

As i understand it the government are losing in a very precarious situation - keep citizens safe v keeping the economy open.

business crippling lockdowns don't solve the problem, but with an underperforming vaccine programme, they appear to be the only option for the country.

Manchester (she/her)

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

I'd much rather Australia's disease burden and length/severity of lockdown, though.

As i understand it the government are losing in a very precarious situation - keep citizens safe v keeping the economy open.

business crippling lockdowns don't solve the problem, but with an underperforming vaccine programme, they appear to be the only option for the country.

"

Snap lockdowns mean businesses mostly open most of the time. So, you know, much better than the situation in the UK More business, more civil liberties, less death, less disability.

And less vaccines but less of a health and economic crisis

here

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Snap lockdowns mean businesses mostly open most of the time. So, you know, much better than the situation in the UK More business, more civil liberties, less death, less disability.

And less vaccines but less of a health and economic crisis "

Totally unsustainable going forward though, for both the business and the country.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Yeah it is a news link

Until sometime last week there was lockdown for those living and working in four districts of Sydney, which meant one of my parents (they live together) was locked down and the other wasn't

For more comparison, GM's data is for around 2 and half million people so the figures in this data would have to be doubled.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/latest-coronavirus-infection-rates-greater-20915281

"

Can you imagine what aus would do with numbers like that?

Manchester (she/her)

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Totally unsustainable going forward though, for both the business and the country.

"

Of course.

That's why they can get vaccines with a lot less deaths and disability. Shame they didn't do it sooner, but hard luck that the vaccine candidate they bet on failed.

Sheer dumb luck that the UK's bets did

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Yeah it is a news link

Can you imagine what aus would do with numbers like that?"

We would never have got to them by the looks of it. Horrific they are and the new HS seems to be going for, all out as soon as possible.

It seems we could be all on our own soon so the economy can get going. Don't get me wrong, the economy has to get going so it has always been a hard decision to make, but it looks like they are going for dates rather than data even though they said they wouldn't

here

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Of course.

That's why they can get vaccines with a lot less deaths and disability. Shame they didn't do it sooner, but hard luck that the vaccine candidate they bet on failed.

Sheer dumb luck that the UK's bets did "

Luck had nothing to do with

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah it is a news link

Can you imagine what aus would do with numbers like that?"

See the Melbourne lockdown for an idea, although as it's state by state, that's what a Labor (I didn't misspell) government will do. New South Wales has a Liberal state government.

Manchester (she/her)

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Of course.

Luck had nothing to do with "

You keep telling yourself that

here

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Of course.

You keep telling yourself that "

Credit where credit is due - Dame Kate Bingham

Manchester (she/her)

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Of course.

Credit where credit is due - Dame Kate Bingham "

I'll happily give the Tories all the credit for their shit show of a response to this mess.

Meanwhile I thought this thread was about Sydney.

here

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Of course.

I'll happily give the Tories all the credit for their shit show of a response to this mess.

Meanwhile I thought this thread was about Sydney."

The credit is directed at Kate Bingham - don’t know if she is a Tory, doesn’t matter if she is or not .

I’m not sure Sydney and other Oz cities will settle with the threat of restrictions hanging over them as a normal way of life going forward.

Stockport

They are.

Johnson got vaccines.

Of course.

Meanwhile I thought this thread was about Sydney.

The credit is directed at Kate Bingham - don’t know if she is a Tory, doesn’t matter if she is or not .

I’m not sure Sydney and other Oz cities will settle with the threat of restrictions hanging over them as a normal way of life going forward."

Very much remains to be seen who gets to a stable solution first. Given that it's only about 5 months since we started our vaccine rollout, subject to vaccine availability Australia could reach the same point as us in vaccination in a similar period or less. But for that period, and for the last 18 months, they have managed to achieve relatively normal economy and living compared to the UK.

We have been supremely lucky that several of the vaccines that the UK put their money on have turned out to be successful and among the more effective; Australian were unlucky, though I suppose it is arguable that they could have gone with a much higher spend and backed multiple horses like the UK did. I really do not think that at the time of placing the bets, any government had access to a crystal ball showing without doubt which vaccines would be the successful ones.

At least though, the Australian policy does mean that they have kept casualty figures remarkably low, and even if there is still some delay before they can safely open up their borders to foreigners, they are liable to come out of the global crisis with a much more sound economy than we are.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

My vaccinated friend is in hospital with covid while I, not vaccinated tested negative. I’m self isolating for the next few days.

This closest we saw to a lockdown was last March when only essential shops were open and closed at 7.30pm. Essential travel only and everywhere else was closed. We can do it but only if online shopping has more slots and flexibility.

"Just think, if the United Kingdom had closed its borders and had a two week lockdown at the time when our cases were only in double digits, combined with an effective process to track and isolate contacts of those very few cases... We could have had 18 months of almost normal life, interspersed with brief localised and targetted restrictions. Instead of 18 months of widespread disruption of economy and personal life, interspersed with brief periods of reduced restrictions that almost immediately lead to surges in hospitalisations. Oh and 130 thousand deaths, multiple millions of long term ill, years of knock on effects in the overall health picture for the country.

I wonder which of these two nations has done the better job of governing during a global crisis?"

Australia's hands aren't clean with all this. But nowhere near as bloody as ours.

Manchester (she/her)

"Just think, if the United Kingdom had closed its borders and had a two week lockdown at the time when our cases were only in double digits, combined with an effective process to track and isolate contacts of those very few cases... We could have had 18 months of almost normal life, interspersed with brief localised and targetted restrictions. Instead of 18 months of widespread disruption of economy and personal life, interspersed with brief periods of reduced restrictions that almost immediately lead to surges in hospitalisations. Oh and 130 thousand deaths, multiple millions of long term ill, years of knock on effects in the overall health picture for the country.

I wonder which of these two nations has done the better job of governing during a global crisis?

Australia's hands aren't clean with all this. But nowhere near as bloody as ours. "

No, certainly not. I'll criticise Australia all day long. But crowing about how well the UK is doing is a bit

Will the university still be stealing everybody’s pictures during this lockdown period?

"How do you think a hard lockdown would be like there and in general? Could people still go out like before or would there be curfew as well?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-sydney-braced-for-cases-surge-lockdown-latest-covid19-case-numbers/d6fb769c-021f-4659-a6dd-6d5c09996849"

Yep, Australia now over a $Trillion in debt and growing with China waiting on the sideline to take over. Oz is economically done now I'd forget them now. The UK meanwhile is now over £2 Trillion + in debt with a recession on the horizon with clowns at the helm still thinking of extending the lockdown.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"Will the university still be stealing everybody’s pictures during this lockdown period? "

Yup they will have extra time to do so now as will be working from home 24/7

Manchester (she/her)

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-sydney-braced-for-cases-surge-lockdown-latest-covid19-case-numbers/d6fb769c-021f-4659-a6dd-6d5c09996849

Yep, Australia now over a $Trillion in debt and growing with China waiting on the sideline to take over. Oz is economically done now I'd forget them now. The UK meanwhile is now over £2 Trillion + in debt with a recession on the horizon with clowns at the helm still thinking of extending the lockdown. "

If a country a third of the size of the UK, with a quarter of the debt, is fit only to be forgotten because it's in such dire straits, then what does that say about the UK?

Hung, drawn, quartered, and the vultures have nothing left to feed on?

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

Yep, Australia now over a $Trillion in debt and growing with China waiting on the sideline to take over. Oz is economically done now I'd forget them now. The UK meanwhile is now over £2 Trillion + in debt with a recession on the horizon with clowns at the helm still thinking of extending the lockdown.

If a country a third of the size of the UK, with a quarter of the debt, is fit only to be forgotten because it's in such dire straits, then what does that say about the UK?

Hung, drawn, quartered, and the vultures have nothing left to feed on?"

apparently so, I have noticed an increase in vultures circling on the fens recently

Manchester (she/her)

Hung, drawn, quartered, and the vultures have nothing left to feed on?

apparently so, I have noticed an increase in vultures circling on the fens recently"

Lol. Maybe we should work out how to upgrade to only being forgotten.

What has Australia done differently. Hmm.

Closed its borders and less lockdowns, but harsher ones.

Maybe that'll at least give the vultures some British economy corpse to feed on.

Stockport

Yep, Australia now over a $Trillion in debt and growing with China waiting on the sideline to take over. Oz is economically done now I'd forget them now. The UK meanwhile is now over £2 Trillion + in debt with a recession on the horizon with clowns at the helm still thinking of extending the lockdown. "

Yes it does seem that Australia is really in trouble...

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australias-covid-19-win-help-fuel-economic-growth-this-year-2021-04-20/

"The Australian economy will grow this year at its fastest pace since 2007, driven by massive stimulus and as the country has largely been able to contain the transmission of the novel coronavirus unlike its rich-world peers, a Reuters poll showed."

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The other thing is that their lockdown is a proper lockdown, and it is properly enforced!!!!

People here would freak if Australia lockdown rules applied here! They know it is worth it for the freedoms they have!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"The other thing is that their lockdown is a proper lockdown, and it is properly enforced!!!!

People here would freak if Australia lockdown rules applied here! They know it is worth it for the freedoms they have! "

yeah kinda makes me laugh when people here go on about lockdown... as we have never had a proper one

Manchester (she/her)

"The other thing is that their lockdown is a proper lockdown, and it is properly enforced!!!!

People here would freak if Australia lockdown rules applied here! They know it is worth it for the freedoms they have! yeah kinda makes me laugh when people here go on about lockdown... as we have never had a proper one"

So much

By *readsOfValhallaCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

As long as the university doesn't start studying fab again I wouldn't worry

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

They have followed a great policy of eradication, which we never decided to pursue - perhaps because we knew that the decision makers were slow to think and act here

And would be persistent in doing everything slowly and too late.

The cbd in Sydney is ultra quiet and has charm that way.

Short, sharp action is better than dithering and then struggling for months. We should have done that, as experts advised, last autumn. I think the UK citizens would have been behind it fully, more so than a half-baked effort, that had no end point.

» Add a new message to this topic