FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid and work

Covid and work

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittlemiss1985 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Lansing

Feeling a bit salty with my employer, a grocery store chain, over how we were treated during the worst of the pandemic.

We were the last of the stores in the area to get any kind of hazzard pay, and the first to get rid of it. All while our company made money hand over fist, literally making a 2 billion dollars in 2020, a billion more than 2019.

And with our current union contract passing, all our raises were a dollar or less while the CEO got over 20 million in bonuses. We kept the store open and running, making sure people had food. Many of us were working 7 days a week and 10+ hour shifts during the worst, and they're wondering why people are leaving.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Feeling a bit salty with my employer, a grocery store chain, over how we were treated during the worst of the pandemic.

We were the last of the stores in the area to get any kind of hazzard pay, and the first to get rid of it. All while our company made money hand over fist, literally making a 2 billion dollars in 2020, a billion more than 2019.

And with our current union contract passing, all our raises were a dollar or less while the CEO got over 20 million in bonuses. We kept the store open and running, making sure people had food. Many of us were working 7 days a week and 10+ hour shifts during the worst, and they're wondering why people are leaving."

Wow! I wish we got hazard pay!

NHS clinician here.

Lansing

" Wow! I wish we got hazard pay! NHS clinician here."

Agreed, you guys don't get paid enough.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Work in supermarket didnt get hazard pay! Did get free tea and coffee from vending machine! Back to paying for it as of 19th july lol x

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I don't think any retail workers in the UK got any hazard pay. I think a few got a (small) bonus from their employer.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"I don't think any retail workers in the UK got any hazard pay. I think a few got a (small) bonus from their employer."

Yes we got a 10% bonus as well as the coffee only for the actual lockdowns x

Lansing

"I don't think any retail workers in the UK got any hazard pay. I think a few got a (small) bonus from their employer."

We did in the US, though our chain only did it after backlash when they were the only ones no doing so.

"Feeling a bit salty with my employer, a grocery store chain, over how we were treated during the worst of the pandemic.

And with our current union contract passing, all our raises were a dollar or less while the CEO got over 20 million in bonuses. We kept the store open and running, making sure people had food. Many of us were working 7 days a week and 10+ hour shifts during the worst, and they're wondering why people are leaving."

I wish I'd got hazard pay !

I reckon you should get a job with a more respectful and more appreciative company.

Never a good idea imo to remain working for anyone who you feel hasn’t treated you right…. The resentment builds up overtime.

“Death by a thousand cuts” is what a friend of mine calls it.

Education worker here. No hazard pay, no key worker freebies and worked all through as schools didn't actually ever close. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

No hazzard pay, no furlough, no perks or bonuses. I just went to work and did my job (sometimes I did other people's jobs too) I'm just very thankful I was still being paid and not at risk of losing my career like so many others have.

By *ob rodMan  over a year ago

lancaster

I work for in of the major utilities

Secure job had to work in peoples houses all the way through

Demand for our service shot up never been so busy last year

In Many many many jobs covid has been a risk to people to them

You can argue who’s most at risk but it’s pointless

Teachers but they say kids don’t transmit as much

Nhs but they have proper procedures and Ppe ( my sister works for the nhs yes Poe tight and low stock but never actually run out)

Or the person in the corner shop with randoms in no ppe

Personally I just cracked on with they job I’m paid for

Last year has been tough for everyone

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

My perk was working from home which was more than good enough for me. The cost I saved and continue to save on fuel and wear and tear on the car are enormous.

My company spent a fortune ensuring that the infrastructure was in place buying laptops and software to enable this to happen that I imagine we will in most cases be allowed to continue some sort of blended work system even once this is all over.

By *otleyMan  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

Wow, who got hazard pay? Was that even a thing? NHS staff never got hazard pay.

Your pay is nowhere near retail workers in the UK.

That in itself should definitely be looked at - soo bad

Hazard pay. I wish. I was in ppls houses that had covid, no extra pay. Extra hours, loads cos everyone was off sick. And I had families rude enough to ask if their family was safe having me go care for them.

And what happened when I caught covid because a patient grabbed my mask when they panicked during a coughing fit.... I went sick for 14 days without pay.

So OP please don't feel salty about no hazard pay, when some of us were being coughed on for minimum wage

By *urora1912Woman  over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

Work in a supermarket didn't get hazard pay

Got free food and drinks,did get our discount put up too. And we did get a little bonus for all our hard work.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Isnt there a limit on what hours you can work?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"I work for in of the major utilities

Secure job had to work in peoples houses all the way through

Demand for our service shot up never been so busy last year

In Many many many jobs covid has been a risk to people to them

You can argue who’s most at risk but it’s pointless

Teachers but they say kids don’t transmit as much

Nhs but they have proper procedures and Ppe ( my sister works for the nhs yes Poe tight and low stock but never actually run out)

Or the person in the corner shop with randoms in no ppe

Personally I just cracked on with they job I’m paid for

Last year has been tough for everyone

"

Well apart from the people who made millions out if it.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Our company introduced video calls, instead of visiting clients.

They furloughed people, I got 3 months. Then had to go back to visiting people in their business, their homes, etc.

No hazard pay as such, but the company provided an employee assistance program to use.

Lansing

And with our current union contract passing, all our raises were a dollar or less while the CEO got over 20 million in bonuses. We kept the store open and running, making sure people had food. Many of us were working 7 days a week and 10+ hour shifts during the worst, and they're wondering why people are leaving.

Isnt there a limit on what hours you can work?"

Technically there isn't any set limit on how much they can ask on overtime, but 40 hour work week is standard. We just had a Frito-Lay warehouse end a 20 day strike over an 80 hour work week Though our company was pretty anal about overtime before Covid

Lansing

"Hazard pay. I wish. I was in ppls houses that had covid, no extra pay. Extra hours, loads cos everyone was off sick. And I had families rude enough to ask if their family was safe having me go care for them.

And what happened when I caught covid because a patient grabbed my mask when they panicked during a coughing fit.... I went sick for 14 days without pay.

So OP please don't feel salty about no hazard pay, when some of us were being coughed on for minimum wage "

I actually do make minimum wage as well.

I lost the vast majority of my work since the pandemic. As a zero hours contractor I received no furlough payment, no benefits and my income for last financial year came in at the grand amount of just over £4,000. That’ll teach me to have savings.

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

No hazard pay, no furlough options... is what it is and I’m totally fine with it.

I’m just thankful I had a guaranteed income during a time when lots of people struggled.

The worlds opening up again, if you don’t like it, leave.

Business is business to them.

Sorry to hate but I'm a little tired of hearing "I worked through it, I want a pay rise" crap. Well, congratulations, you kept your job and fed your family.

A friend of mine was overjoyed to get a job at a supermarket when she had to shut down her business due to covid as it helped her keep going. Be thankful for what you have and if you want more stop moaning, making excuses and go get it.

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"Sorry to hate but I'm a little tired of hearing "I worked through it, I want a pay rise" crap. Well, congratulations, you kept your job and fed your family.

A friend of mine was overjoyed to get a job at a supermarket when she had to shut down her business due to covid as it helped her keep going. Be thankful for what you have and if you want more stop moaning, making excuses and go get it. "

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

Your pay is nowhere near retail workers in the UK.

That in itself should definitely be looked at - soo bad "

Don't hold your breath on that one. This is a country that pays some of its staff such a low wage that tipping is not a sign that you've done a good job, it's pretty much expected.

» Add a new message to this topic