FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Loss of Smell and Taste

Loss of Smell and Taste

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi folks, anyone experienced this after testing positive? Ive lost both senses after testing positive on xmas eve, in your experience how long did it take to recover to normal or is it still not right? Cheers

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had COVID just over a year ago and lost both smell and taste. My wife did too.

Her's returned in a few days. Mine returned very slowly over about 5-6 weeks.

Had lots of spicy food. Lots of sniffing smelly things.

My smell still hasn't fully returned to normal. It's not enough to bother me but certain things just have a kind of chemical smell rather than being distinct.

It's a relief when you can taste your food again. Hope you recover soon

By *ooangel8181Woman  over a year ago

notts

July I had covid

I can smell and taste again but things still don’t taste normal and it’s like a switch. Sometime I can taste others I can’t.

Also things have a unusual smell and taste. Something I can’t explain. A creamy, burnt taste.

June had it, tastes back but still cant smell

"June had it, tastes back but still cant smell "

That's weird. I thought smell was necessary for taste. Or maybe it just enhances it?

I bought some nasal inhaler things and dropped different essential oils into them to sniff each day.

Some of them smelled of nothing to begin with.

By *avana8817Man  over a year ago

Consett

"Hi folks, anyone experienced this after testing positive? Ive lost both senses after testing positive on xmas eve, in your experience how long did it take to recover to normal or is it still not right? Cheers"

If you have a juicer or know someone who has one (not a blender). Go and get some Ginger root around 6” or 7” you know a good amount and juice it with an apple or two. Pour them into shots for morning and evening for a few days, Obviously store in the fridge mate, i bet you have some if not all of your senses back within 3 days. Ginger root is a natural antiInflammatory and its really good for you, my mate lost his on Christmas day, made him a batch and now he can taste today, similar story with my partner and a few other of my friends its yet to fail, just be patient

By *avana8817Man  over a year ago

Consett

Also good for hayfever, but only about an 1 inch or two of ginger root, if you anyone is interested in that .

"June had it, tastes back but still cant smell

That's weird. I thought smell was necessary for taste. Or maybe it just enhances it?

I bought some nasal inhaler things and dropped different essential oils into them to sniff each day.

Some of them smelled of nothing to begin with."

My taste isnt 100% for sure its bland, amplified very sweet & very salty.

By *aron_TentakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

I had the delta variant, lost my sense of smell completely for close to 8 weeks then it came back slowly in dribs and drabs over the next month. I didn't lose my sense of taste completely but eating stuff became a bit of a chore as almost everything tasted somewhere from 'a bit wrong' to 'outright nasty'. You could tell when something was bitter, sweet, salty etc but there was no nuance at all and it was pointless eating 'nice' food, so I tended to go for things that were fairly bland but had interesting textures and a lot of umami - (cheese toasties, spicy Korean ramen). One of the few things that tasted almost normal was hoppy beers, IPA and the like. My friend in the US got COVID in the first wave and didn't get his sense of smell back for nearly six months.

When it does start to come back you'll find that some days everything is pretty much back to normal but the next it's gone again.

By *olex99Man  over a year ago

Hull

I tested positive on 5th December and I still can't smell or taste anything

By *ayboii2018_12Man  over a year ago

West Midlands

I had covid in July, both smell and taste went.

Took about 3 weeks till mine came back fully. Had my 2nd dose a month later and then my smell and taste improved greatly afterwards.

My only lingering symptom was running to toilet that lasted months.

By *appychix77Couple  over a year ago

DERBY

Yes lost both a couple of weeks later my taste came back mostly but my scene of smell still hasn't come back 11 months later

By *igNick1381Man  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

I think the biggest problem with losing the sense of smell and taste is it definitely affects your appetite and I tend to eat less (even though I know I should try and eat the same when I'm ill)

It's horrible

By *RSTCouple  over a year ago

S. Northants

We both lost ours and partially returned a couple of weeks on. Seems to come and go in waves and not fully. I'm tasting different things now of some of my favourites food and drinks. It's all a very strange experience.

By *igNick1381Man  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

"I had covid in July, both smell and taste went.

Took about 3 weeks till mine came back fully. Had my 2nd dose a month later and then my smell and taste improved greatly afterwards.

My only lingering symptom was running to toilet that lasted months."

That's an odd one

I don't want to alarm you but have you had that looked at? I had a kidney issue recently and the dr asked if I'd noticed I'd been peeing more than normal

By *RSTCouple  over a year ago

S. Northants

"I think the biggest problem with losing the sense of smell and taste is it definitely affects your appetite and I tend to eat less (even though I know I should try and eat the same when I'm ill)

It's horrible"

We definitely found this too. Sometimes we'd be eating a meal and would find it quite difficult to actually swallow the food as there is no taste to it.

By *unterxMan  over a year ago

Derry

Had it in August smell is still very limited

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

My smell went 6 months ago and it’s doing my head in

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Taste came back in about a month sense of smell still not right. Used have a great sense of smell

By *ickhangingsuitMan  over a year ago

leeds

"Hi folks, anyone experienced this after testing positive? Ive lost both senses after testing positive on xmas eve, in your experience how long did it take to recover to normal or is it still not right? Cheers"

Had anosmia and ageusia, the taste came back after about a month but the smell took about 3 months to get back

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I had covid in July, both smell and taste went.

My only lingering symptom was running to toilet that lasted months.

That's an odd one

I don't want to alarm you but have you had that looked at? I had a kidney issue recently and the dr asked if I'd noticed I'd been peeing more than normal"

Could also be symptomatic of diabetes, which COVID is known to provoke. Definitely good idea to consult a doctor

By *uckoldDesiresMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Never lost my taste. My smell came back gradually after about a week and it's been 5 weeks now and I'd say I'm at about 70%

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Mine still come and go.

For example, I’m putting 3 teaspoons of coffee in my mug and it’s ok,

Then suddenly one day it’s too strong

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I had all the symptoms of Covid in January 2020 but no Covid positive results since then.

By *heeseandcucumberCouple  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I lost both smell & taste 8 months ago. Sometimes I can smell things slightly as for taste,just sweetness, hot,spicy can't taste sour not even a pickled onion.

& then that's just the basics nothing distinctive....ive had no nasty tastes or smell symptoms,

.....maybe I'm going to be one of the statistics where it may not return to the way it was ?

Mine came back after 4 weeks. I could no longer stand the taste of coffee though, something I enjoyed drinking for over 10 years....

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

I had it a year ago and I've only just started to notice a few small changes. Still can't aste or smell lemon.

» Add a new message to this topic