FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Why PCR?

Why PCR?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aui. OP   Man  over a year ago

around here

So this is a serious question and doesn’t need and preachy responses. Only sensible answers please.

I’ve had Covid before so know how it all works etc. On Sunday I started feeling ill. Similar symptoms to last time I had Covid. I then did a LFT which came back as positive. Ok so I know I have Covid, doesn’t take a genius to work that out.

So I’ve now informed everyone I’ve seen and am isolating. But....

Now I’m being told by people I MUST get a PCR test. Why? Will it make me feel better? Will it stop me passing on the virus? I mean surely going out for a PCR increases the risk of that.

So genuinely what are the benefits/need to do this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ixey and CopperCouple  over a year ago

exeter

We were literally saying the same, Mrs positive 5 days ago via LFT and PCR, Mrs is now negative but Mr is now positive by LFT but can't get a PCR test booked, non available.

Was thinking just do LFT each day until negative for 2 days

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

PCR tests are the definitive Covid tests and are more accurate than LFTs.

By *umlad74Man  over a year ago

Staines

Watch Royal Institute Christmas Lectures on iPlayer - covering viruses this year and explained how PCR and LFT differ. For kids, so easy to understand, and given by the people who actually helped develop the techniques / vaccines we now have.

around here

"PCR tests are the definitive Covid tests and are more accurate than LFTs. "

Yes I understand that but... I’m ill with the same symptoms as Covid, a LFT says I have Covid. Do I really need it confirming any further?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Small risk of false positive. Also, from a public health perspective, we need to confirm via a gold standard method in labs operating to ISO standards. Isolates are also used for sequencing allowing identification of variants.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

The American CDC is stopping using it's PCR test for coronavirus from 31 December 2021

Think it’s so they can detect which variant you have, so they can better understand the spread etc

"Think it’s so they can detect which variant you have, so they can better understand the spread etc"

And your also on the record for having it for future reference

"The American CDC is stopping using it's PCR test for coronavirus from 31 December 2021"

I wasn't aware they produced their own reagents. Are they moving to commercial kits?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The American CDC is stopping using it's PCR test for coronavirus from 31 December 2021

I wasn't aware they produced their own reagents. Are they moving to commercial kits?"

They're moving to a multiplex PCR for multiple pathogens and it's been turned into "the CDC have confirmed that PCR is useless"

Doubt you'll get one today anyway. Apparently they've run out!

I never went for a test. My wife had already done one. We were ill at the same time, same symptoms etc. Seemed stupid to go back out and potentially infect others when I knew I should isolate so that's what I did.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"So this is a serious question and doesn’t need and preachy responses. Only sensible answers please.

I’ve had Covid before so know how it all works etc. On Sunday I started feeling ill. Similar symptoms to last time I had Covid. I then did a LFT which came back as positive. Ok so I know I have Covid, doesn’t take a genius to work that out.

Now I’m being told by people I MUST get a PCR test. Why? Will it make me feel better? Will it stop me passing on the virus? I mean surely going out for a PCR increases the risk of that.

So genuinely what are the benefits/need to do this?"

You don’t need to have a PCR if you have symptoms, a clear LFT test result and are happy to isolate, unless you’ve been asked to by a health professional.

around here

"Doubt you'll get one today anyway. Apparently they've run out!

I never went for a test. My wife had already done one. We were ill at the same time, same symptoms etc. Seemed stupid to go back out and potentially infect others when I knew I should isolate so that's what I did.

"

This is exactly my point. I know I have Covid, I know when and where I got it. It actually seems irresponsible to go out for a PCR

I thought that within 3 months of previously catching it that a pcr was useless? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My work won't pay me to be off unless I've got a positive pcr test.

By *sBlueWoman  over a year ago

Up North

This is exactly my point. I know I have Covid, I know when and where I got it. It actually seems irresponsible to go out for a PCR "

U you oh don’t have to get one if your isolating. It’s now 7 days if you test neg on days 6 and 7

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

This came up for me recently as a family member caught covid. When they had their PCR test they were told if it's positive then don't have another for 90 days as its so sensitive it detects even dead covid in your body. They were told for isolation and returning to work purposes, use LFT as these tell you if your still infectious and therefore a danger to others. If your PCR test is negative and you become ill at a later date you can have another PCR regardless of time lapsed to check

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"Think it’s so they can detect which variant you have, so they can better understand the spread etc"

This one and to confirm LFT isn't false positive.

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

"So this is a serious question and doesn’t need and preachy responses. Only sensible answers please.

False positives can occur, particularly through accidental contamination ( acidic solutions wine/coffee)so PCR is the confirmatory standard but agree this could be revised. There is the self isolation issue also, I would imagine those who only do lateral flow tests may consider a negative test after 4/5 days as an ok period of isolation when we know omicron is more likely to cause false negatives on LFT.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

That is a very good point which I totally forgot myself. The data gathered is helping in the overall assessment in the country. I do think it's commendable of the OP to not want to take any unnecessary risks in spreading the virus.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The American CDC is stopping using it's PCR test for coronavirus from 31 December 2021"

No it isn't... the CDC have withdrawn "Emergency Use" licence application for one brand of PCR test, because they are commercially available and therefore don't need the Emergency license.

The Emergency licence allows the product to be used by "normal people" instead of just medical staff.

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

You can get a pcr test delivered to your home if you don’t want to go out to get one. These were still available earlier today.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

This

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

They issued a standards directive update, notified to producers, to be applied from that date, as was exhaustively discussed in comprehensive details, when someone tried to claim that last week.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

They are not stopping testing they are switching to a better type of test that will test for other things such as flu and not just covid.

They will still be doing testing.

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

because LFTs cannot 100% tell the difference between a cold and covid so are not 100%. They are a good indicator to take a Accurate PCR test. PCR tests are also checked for variants

Have you registered your positive LFD?

If you’ve registered that it will ask you to do a PCR. I can’t remember whether it explains why though.

If it was me I’d just get the PCR so there’s an official record. You never know when you might need it. You might get to find out the variant too.

By *atenaWoman  over a year ago

Hyde

It's interesting and I totally see why you or anyone would question why one is needed....

I guess I would also suggest for potential other contacts to be traced? Maybe you went to a shop and can't inform those whom are deemed close/possible contacts but track and travel can?

I guess so then we have accurate data on infection rates too.... and ofc variants in case another emerges.

Imagine if everyone didn't go and get a PCR now... how would we know we're having such a huge spike again?

All interesting thoughts

By *iratedave2Man  over a year ago

dartford

"Have you registered your positive LFD?

If you’ve registered that it will ask you to do a PCR. I can’t remember whether it explains why though.

If it was me I’d just get the PCR so there’s an official record. You never know when you might need it. You might get to find out the variant too."

Apparently the LFT results are not counted and added to the daily totals!

That probably suits Boris, get a PCR done to check

By *asterandGenieCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

So genuinely what are the benefits/need to do this? because LFTs cannot 100% tell the difference between a cold and covid so are not 100%. They are a good indicator to take a Accurate PCR test. PCR tests are also checked for variants "

Most viruses in circulation that cause common cold are not coronavirus they are rhinovirus

Norfolk

"I thought that within 3 months of previously catching it that a pcr was useless? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"

I don’t think it’s that they’re useless you’re advised not to take another pcr in that time unless you have new symptoms because you could get a positive pcr due to residual virus and then you’ll be back to self isolating

By *affygt61Man  over a year ago

rhondda

They recommend you have a pcr test, more accurate.

I've taken lft since Xmas day, my sinusis has been playing up since Monday, all tests negative, from different boxes. Should I do a pcr test?

If you report a positive lft test, and then have a positive pcr test, does that count as 2 positive tests?

Norfolk

This is exactly my point. I know I have Covid, I know when and where I got it. It actually seems irresponsible to go out for a PCR

U you oh don’t have to get one if your isolating. It’s now 7 days if you test neg on days 6 and 7"

It’s day 6 and 24hrs later with both negative as long as you don’t have a temperature

Because LFTs are not accurate, if it comes up positive you should get an appointment for a PCR, isolate and if you can drive only yourself to the appointment, then straight back home again

Norfolk

"They recommend you have a pcr test, more accurate.

I've taken lft since Xmas day, my sinusis has been playing up since Monday, all tests negative, from different boxes. Should I do a pcr test?

If you report a positive lft test, and then have a positive pcr test, does that count as 2 positive tests? "

If you have any of the Covid symptoms then yes

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

"I thought that within 3 months of previously catching it that a pcr was useless? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don’t think it’s that they’re useless you’re advised not to take another pcr in that time unless you have new symptoms because you could get a positive pcr due to residual virus and then you’ll be back to self isolating"

you are told not to take a PCR test within 90 days of a positive PCR test

By *mbatman2021Man  over a year ago

Southampton

If you don’t want to than don’t. Simple really.

If you have been asked by doctor or work for one and your uncomfortable going out than do a home test. Order it online it comes within a day and you can get collected or post it off.

By *affygt61Man  over a year ago

rhondda

"They recommend you have a pcr test, more accurate.

If you report a positive lft test, and then have a positive pcr test, does that count as 2 positive tests?

If you have any of the Covid symptoms then yes"

Thanks,

Norfolk

I don’t think it’s that they’re useless you’re advised not to take another pcr in that time unless you have new symptoms because you could get a positive pcr due to residual virus and then you’ll be back to self isolating you are told not to take a PCR test within 90 days of a positive PCR test "

Unless you have new symptoms and then you should

» Add a new message to this topic