FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Another Fine Mess.. LFT and NHS Staff

Another Fine Mess.. LFT and NHS Staff

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

Nurses at our local hospital are scrabbling to beg and borrow LFT testing kits from each other as they also cannot get kits locally.

Boxes of 7 tests are being split between 3 staff to get them into work today.

So much for planning as unless they can LFT, they can't go into work...

Questions as to why NHS and Care Workers are not getting priority over New Year revellers need to be asked.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the government will answer those questions just as soon as the internal tory party rift ends and the government are no longer paralyzed by the far right back benchers who now run things.

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

Nurses don’t need an LFT to go to work unless showing symptoms. Well, not at my wife’s hospital at least.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"the government will answer those questions just as soon as the internal tory party rift ends and the government are no longer paralyzed by the far right back benchers who now run things. "

By *perfectpair5050Couple  over a year ago

marlbourgh

"Nurses at our local hospital are scrabbling to beg and borrow LFT testing kits from each other as they also cannot get kits locally.

Questions as to why NHS and Care Workers are not getting priority over New Year revellers need to be asked."

. Nurses don’t need a test to go to work only need to test if they’re feeling unwell same as the rest of us

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Nurses don’t need an LFT to go to work unless showing symptoms. Well, not at my wife’s hospital at least. "

After positive contact, need a PCR to return to work and daily LFT for 10 days

We have been advised to test daily, it was twice a week, no problem getting sufficient testing kits so far.

Every Trust adopts a different policy and some are really poorly thought out.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

"the government will answer those questions just as soon as the internal tory party rift ends and the government are no longer paralyzed by the far right back benchers who now run things. "

What has this got to do with allegedly 'far right' MPs?

Anything?

all our staff at the moment test daily ... there is covid in 2 of our homes the rest are ok as for test kits we've ordered more today and told they will be here for friday/sat morning

[Removed by poster at 29/12/21 12:59:34]

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 29/12/21 13:30:02]

Longridge

"Nurses at our local hospital are scrabbling to beg and borrow LFT testing kits from each other as they also cannot get kits locally.

Questions as to why NHS and Care Workers are not getting priority over New Year revellers need to be asked.. Nurses don’t need a test to go to work only need to test if they’re feeling unwell same as the rest of us "

They do if a family member or colleague has tested positive around here or if recently tested positive.

I don't know the ins and outs, just see many nurses and staff at our local hospital pleading on social media for tests so they can go to work..

One thing that is obvious, they need tests for whatever reason, yet they cannot get hold of them.

Questions as to why NHS and Care Workers are not getting priority over New Year revellers need to be asked.. Nurses don’t need a test to go to work only need to test if they’re feeling unwell same as the rest of us

They do if a family member or colleague has tested positive around here or if recently tested positive.

I don't know the ins and outs, just see many nurses and staff at our local hospital pleading on social media for tests so they can go to work..

One thing that is obvious, they need tests for whatever reason, yet they cannot get hold of them.

"

I think the availability of tests is more an England problem, don't hold me to that though

By *irtyold manMan  over a year ago

barnsley

Put a clown in charge and you get a circuss

Time for a vote of no confidence contact youre local mp and ask to register a vote of no confidence

The same thing was done in ww2 when churchill was made pm

just seen on sky news that everything is now ok ?

Longridge

Questions as to why NHS and Care Workers are not getting priority over New Year revellers need to be asked.. Nurses don’t need a test to go to work only need to test if they’re feeling unwell same as the rest of us

I think the availability of tests is more an England problem, don't hold me to that though "

They'll be getting stockpiled for NYE so they can get into pubs and clubs.

Scotland, Ireland and Wales don't need to as the clubs will be shut.

So, if government was relying on LFT to keep the night time economy open for New Year, is it not logical to have predicted a surge in demand.

Your spot on, only here in England.

Longridge

"just seen on sky news that everything is now ok ?"

Has Father Christmas been?

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"Nurses don’t need an LFT to go to work unless showing symptoms. Well, not at my wife’s hospital at least. "

Most nhs premises are asking for tests at least twice weekly.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

Me and 2 work colleagues got some ordered on line today.

Say 3 days for delivery so we shall wait and see.

Reading

Just to clarify, my wife tests twice a week unless she’s been in direct contact and she’s a a Respiratory Nurse.

By *ngel696969Woman  over a year ago

Farnworth

"Put a clown in charge and you get a circuss

Time for a vote of no confidence contact youre local mp and ask to register a vote of no confidence

The same thing was done in ww2 when churchill was made pm"

Well as I've said before. Name one person capable of taking the reins

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Is this the WW2 that we lost?

By *mbatman2021Man  over a year ago

Southampton

Seems like piss poor planning by the NHS really.

No one to blame but themselves for that one.

Reading

Is this the WW2 that we lost?"

Pretty disrespectful comment.

Is this the WW2 that we lost?"

Odd comment.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

"Just to clarify, my wife tests twice a week unless she’s been in direct contact and she’s a a Respiratory Nurse. "

I John have to test daily so as I can visit Jill in ICU and all the nursing staff also have to .

Longridge

"Seems like piss poor planning by the NHS really.

No one to blame but themselves for that one. "

I fully agree, NHS management and the Health Secretary is at fault for not ring fencing test kits for staff.

Front line staff are not to blame and are the ones being again, let down.

I have given some tests I had away today to help two staff members get into work tonight. Staff should have been told to have a week in hand of tests available and not kept to fend for themselves.

Tomorrow, I'll be trying to locate and collect more for them if I can get my hands on them.

By *mbatman2021Man  over a year ago

Southampton

"Seems like piss poor planning by the NHS really.

No one to blame but themselves for that one.

I fully agree, NHS management and the Health Secretary is at fault for not ring fencing test kits for staff.

Front line staff are not to blame and are the ones being again, let down.

I have given some tests I had away today to help two staff members get into work tonight. Staff should have been told to have a week in hand of tests available and not kept to fend for themselves.

Tomorrow, I'll be trying to locate and collect more for them if I can get my hands on them."

The management really need to get there shit in order. Im sure there will be many donations made to the NHS as many big retailers and companies have spent 100’s of 1000’s of £ on them for their staff so they will donate load im sure

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

I had three negative LFTs but had a positive PCR the following day. I went for a PCR after the sudden onset of symptoms. All this use of LFTs can still put people at risk of spreading covid unwittingly. I’ve spent nearly a week in bed with Covid. It’s more than a bad cold and I’m double vaccinated.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Yeah, coz we all know what a complete muppet Churchill was.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"We have been advised to test daily, it was twice a week, no problem getting sufficient testing kits so far. "

Same here. We all test daily and have never ran out of test kits.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"We have been advised to test daily, it was twice a week, no problem getting sufficient testing kits so far.

Same here. We all test daily and have never ran out of test kits."

yeah no issue here either. We have all got a month's worth of tests

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

There's issues around our local area and have been since w/c 13 December. My brother had to drive round multiple pharmacies to find one box of tests between a household of 4 (day before yesterday).

Currently in my placement of work we have to do LFD test before every shift and PCR test weekly. We have staff out sick we are small staff team And I’m currently the only staff member left not ill. So been doing back to back sleep shift patterns as everywhere is struggling to find agency to help out.

Someone mention the LFt test being negative then pcr test positive.

That’s what happened to my staff all negative then the PCR test is positive a day or so later so so dangerous for the spreading of the virus

Longridge

Still no tests locally here for near on two weeks.

It's a joke, especially to hear at the time of highest demand.

Alliance Medical the distribution company are closed for Christmas. You couldn't write it...

I am reading that they are going to start to charge a fee for these tests in the coming weeks.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I am reading that they are going to start to charge a fee for these tests in the coming weeks."

Think it's reported that some said the tests can't be free forever and some journo picked upon it and got it in print..

Highly unlikely if they intend to charge for them they will bring that in for several months, given the current situation with numbers isolating etc plus the hit to household finances in spring..

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Well I certainly won’t be paying for them

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

it appears that it is being mooted that the un-vaxxed will have to pay for their lft tests

"it appears that it is being mooted that the un-vaxxed will have to pay for their lft tests"

I hear that it is costing the tax payer 6 billion so far and that the population will just need to live with it vaxed or unvaxed

"Well I certainly won’t be paying for them"

me neither

By *1bttmMan  over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

Questions as to why NHS and Care Workers are not getting priority over New Year revellers need to be asked.. Nurses don’t need a test to go to work only need to test if they’re feeling unwell same as the rest of us "

Actually depends on the trust. They make their own rules and policies regarding this.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"it appears that it is being mooted that the un-vaxxed will have to pay for their lft tests"

It’s being mooted that no one will get them free anymore.

Longridge

The design could be very quickly changed to a more robust plastic holder that the lid can clip off.

Supply one or two then make the plastics reusable by just changing the paper test sheet and clicking the lid back down.

Doesn't bear thinking about what 50 million test kits look like in landfill, let alone half a billion plus.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"I am reading that they are going to start to charge a fee for these tests in the coming weeks."

I thought I saw a headline like that to but no idea if it's true. Would this make us the first country to pay for the tests (not including travel requirement tests) ?

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

Not a nurse but being asked to test daily for the next few weeks regardless of symptoms

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

[Removed by poster at 09/01/22 12:40:55]

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"I am reading that they are going to start to charge a fee for these tests in the coming weeks.

I thought I saw a headline like that to but no idea if it's true. Would this make us the first country to pay for the tests (not including travel requirement tests) ?"

No, before the lft tests were made available free loads of places including lidl were selling them

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The Education Minister has publicly denied the story about charging for LFTs.

North West

"The design could be very quickly changed to a more robust plastic holder that the lid can clip off.

Supply one or two then make the plastics reusable by just changing the paper test sheet and clicking the lid back down.

Doesn't bear thinking about what 50 million test kits look like in landfill, let alone half a billion plus."

It wouldn't be accurate to apply fresh test solution to a cartridge that's already contaminated with sample from a previous test, even if it was washed in the sink and left to dry.

They could provide the test buffer solution already in the vials, rather than a separate one in its own plastic bag, and there's no need to put the vials in another plastic bag inside the box. They could be in a cardboard sleeve, for example.

North West

"I am reading that they are going to start to charge a fee for these tests in the coming weeks.

I thought I saw a headline like that to but no idea if it's true. Would this make us the first country to pay for the tests (not including travel requirement tests) ?"

It wouldn't. In Spain, some autonomous communities are making free LFTs available to people who show their NIE card but there's limited amounts of free test kits. If you're happy to pay €10, anyone can buy test kits from pharmacies. Apparently free kits are in fairly short supply where they are available but €10 kits are not (they're the same kit!)

Yes n these kits all made in China,I don't need to say nothing about that

Longridge

"The design could be very quickly changed to a more robust plastic holder that the lid can clip off.

Doesn't bear thinking about what 50 million test kits look like in landfill, let alone half a billion plus.

It wouldn't be accurate to apply fresh test solution to a cartridge that's already contaminated with sample from a previous test, even if it was washed in the sink and left to dry.

They could provide the test buffer solution already in the vials, rather than a separate one in its own plastic bag, and there's no need to put the vials in another plastic bag inside the box. They could be in a cardboard sleeve, for example.

"

Either way, the amount of single use plastic plus PPE ending up in landfill is shocking in the quantities they've given out. Then the heat energy required to inject the plastics.

The first kits given to NHS had a single dropper bottle and mixing pot. Soap and water is more than adequate to wash kits - 20 seconds they've been telling us for two years for hands.

If positive contamination is an worry then after having one, be able to order a new base.

1,000m3 of landfill = 65,000,000 LFT trays stacked neatly. Then the plastic film, mixing pot and dropper on top.

North West

I don't disagree with you on plastic waste, but from a medical diagnosis perspective, you can't reuse a cartridge like the ones in LFTs by washing it and putting new test strips in.

I'm not sure what is being referred to about original kits having a dropper bottle etc. Have a single bottle of buffer and tubes for mixing buffer with sample would reduce waste a bit but reusing the same vial for tests (after washing) is also not accurate. It's less of an issue if previous negative tests have been produced but if a positive test has been generated, even washing with soap and water might not expunge all traces of viral genetic info that might generate further positives.

Washing your hands to prevent whole viral particles from being transferred is very different to cleaning equipment used to detect small amounts of viral RNA. RNA on your hand cannot infect another person with COVID but residual viral RNA on your test cartridge or vial will generate another positive test. Also any residual soap may impact on the accuracy of the test.

North West

The medical diagnosis, pharmaceutical and scientific research industries have always been very plastics intensive. The vast majority is incinerated at specialist disposal centres though.

milton keynes

I thought I saw a headline like that to but no idea if it's true. Would this make us the first country to pay for the tests (not including travel requirement tests) ?

No, before the lft tests were made available free loads of places including lidl were selling them"

Thank you

milton keynes

It wouldn't. In Spain, some autonomous communities are making free LFTs available to people who show their NIE card but there's limited amounts of free test kits. If you're happy to pay €10, anyone can buy test kits from pharmacies. Apparently free kits are in fairly short supply where they are available but €10 kits are not (they're the same kit!)"

Thank you

By *1bttmMan  over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

"Yes n these kits all made in China,I don't need to say nothing about that "

Exactly why I think trade embargoes against a country that supplies us with important equipment will never happen.

By *urious ButtonMan  over a year ago

LEICESTER

The NHS is no longer a Priority! If the so-called NHS were a limited company run and operated as a business, or even a PLC with Shareholders, it would have been bankrupt a long time ago. What people fail to realise is the NHS is not fit for purpose any longer. The business model it was based upon in 1948 is no longer fit for purpose in 2022. We are all living longer, the population has increased by 35% and the waiting list on the NHS makes “free at the point of use” a complete failure and shambles. 80% of the NHS is propped up by NON UK Nationals whose prime objective and motivation is MONEY and not providing CARE! As I said before, if this was a PLC, the shares would have plummeted and the board would have taken drastic action centuries ago. Instead it is run and operated by an incompetent government who are probably more focused on their own interest and popularity than taking a long hard look at the serious failings of the NHS.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The NHS is no longer a Priority! If the so-called NHS were a limited company run and operated as a business, or even a PLC with Shareholders, it would have been bankrupt a long time ago. What people fail to realise is the NHS is not fit for purpose any longer. The business model it was based upon in 1948 is no longer fit for purpose in 2022. We are all living longer, the population has increased by 35% and the waiting list on the NHS makes “free at the point of use” a complete failure and shambles. 80% of the NHS is propped up by NON UK Nationals whose prime objective and motivation is MONEY and not providing CARE! As I said before, if this was a PLC, the shares would have plummeted and the board would have taken drastic action centuries ago. Instead it is run and operated by an incompetent government who are probably more focused on their own interest and popularity than taking a long hard look at the serious failings of the NHS."

That's a very long but pointless statement.

You can't compare the NHS to a business, businesses are not financed by government funding. They can't put their prices up, or reduce the size of their product to become more competitive.

Obviously there are things they could do to be more efficient, but when politicians (with their own business interests) are making the decisions... efficiency isn't a priority.

Cal

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Dont suppose its helped much that members of the public have been ordering free kits every other day for weeks so they now have cuboards full of them at home

Longridge

As a number of family members and friends are soon having to provide their own at their own cost, plus significant rises in infection that the government seems to ne ignoring, other places within the UK have been extended until July.

There is £13billion missing due to government incompetence from COVID. So, as for the fact that I have 85 kits to distribute between them.

Do I feel guilty - not one feckin bit. NHS and care staff, should be given them free so they can safely care for those that rely on them.

They're not for me, I'll use a couple if needed, they are being held and handed ot to critical care staff already struggling financially.

Far right??

I’ll have some of what you’re smoking!

Same at my other halves too.

Longridge

"Nurses don’t need an LFT to go to work unless showing symptoms. Well, not at my wife’s hospital at least.

Same at my other halves too."

Don't need and should do are two different scenarios.

Friend of mine, if asymptomatic went into work with COVID, would almost certainly risk the lives of some of the patients she was working with, if passed it on.

The rules don't match simple common sense. Then again, like everything else, let's throw caution to the wind and be damned with the consequences!!

Oh wait for it, here come the "you don't know that" comments. Simple, it's happened already on at least two occasions.

It also depends on what type of field of nursing as its already been requested that staff continue testing after April 1st due to vulnerability of patients. Should she tell them to go stuff themselves or do the right thing?

'They' also say you no longer need to isolate if infected. That's great too, go into work and make everyone else feel shit for four to six days..

All trusts have different policies, it's not mandatory but advisable.

"Nurses don’t need an LFT to go to work unless showing symptoms. Well, not at my wife’s hospital at least.

Friend of mine, if asymptomatic went into work with COVID, would almost certainly risk the lives of some of the patients she was working with, if passed it on.

The rules don't match simple common sense. Then again, like everything else, let's throw caution to the wind and be damned with the consequences!!

Oh wait for it, here come the "you don't know that" comments. Simple, it's happened already on at least two occasions.

It also depends on what type of field of nursing as its already been requested that staff continue testing after April 1st due to vulnerability of patients. Should she tell them to go stuff themselves or do the right thing?

'They' also say you no longer need to isolate if infected. That's great too, go into work and make everyone else feel shit for four to six days.."

Mines the manager of the local covid unit.

'They' also say you no longer need to isolate if infected. That's great too, go into work and make everyone else feel shit for four to six days..

Mines the manager of the local covid unit."

I should also add the death rate is more or less through the floor these days. Not to mention the treatment is more manageable now.

Then on top of that the variants have lost thier edge so to speak. The threat and panic is basically over at this stage. Think you need to calm down a bit and not be so worried about it.

Longridge

You should have that conversation with an immune suppressed patient or parents of a child on chemotherapy.

It's right for many, others still die from this version of the 'cold'!!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"You should have that conversation with an immune suppressed patient or parents of a child on chemotherapy.

It's right for many, others still die from this version of the 'cold'!!"

I have a young adult who falls into the immune suppressed category. And yes it's still scary but less so with the vaccines

Longridge

Mines the manager of the local covid unit.

I should also add the death rate is more or less through the floor these days. Not to mention the treatment is more manageable now.

Then on top of that the variants have lost thier edge so to speak. The threat and panic is basically over at this stage. Think you need to calm down a bit and not be so worried about it."

It might have lost it's "edge" for many but I'd only accept these arguments would be valid if the rates of death was absolutely ZERO.

There are still people at risk, there is still the risk of more pathogenic variants.

Therefore anyone infected, vaccinated or not, are still putting patients and vulnerable family members at risk, at the very least, health and care workers should be aware of their status - at NO cost to themselves.

- or are these number acceptable to some?

» Add a new message to this topic