FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > HPV / oral cancers

HPV / oral cancers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *otsossie OP   Man  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

Anyone see the article yesterday about the massive rise in oral cancers caused seemingly by HPV?

I was expecting it to be about vapes, but nope.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've not seen the news. Here's some info from Cancer Research -

There are over 100 types of HPV and each one has a number. The main type of HPV found in mouth and oropharyngeal cancer is HPV 16. HPV causes around 25 out of 100 mouth and oropharyngeal cancers (around 25%) in the UK.

The link to HPV is much stronger for oropharyngeal cancers than it is for mouth cancers.

In recent years there has been an increase in HPV positive oropharyngeal cancer. Compared to HPV negative oropharyngeal cancer, people with HPV positive oropharyngeal cancers:

are generally younger

do not usually smoke

drink little or no alcohol

People with HPV positive oropharyngeal cancer usually have a better outlook (prognosis) compared to those with HPV negative oropharyngeal cancers.

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"Anyone see the article yesterday about the massive rise in oral cancers caused seemingly by HPV?

I was expecting it to be about vapes, but nope. "

I read an article mentioning it. Since the cases have zoomed up in the last decade I still can't help thinking vapes are involved somehow, I mean HPV isn't really a new thing is it.

By *aussageMan  over a year ago

Stalbridge

In the us cervical cancer is also increasing. This is a head scratcher because Merck's fast tracked hpv vaccine was supposed to have solved this problem.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think with all of these it's usually down to detection improvements. That and infections have a peak curve. The more people infected the more people can be infected. While the vaccine is great annually it changes to cover new strains so the strains that were not covered are still causing risk. Also countries like Ireland with Catholic ethos have only just started vaccinating boys. There are lots of possible reasons for the rise in numbers. Let's just hope the drop is coming soon.

By *ond Jimmy BondMan  over a year ago

London

Is it the case that by your 30,s or 40’s most people have HPV or have been exposed to it? So maybe it’s more about what is causing HPV to turn cancerous?

I may have got this wrong but it’s my understanding

By *ond Jimmy BondMan  over a year ago

London

Of course vaccines where supposed to offer some protection though

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Knowing somone who has it and suffered the awful surgery to go with it, it can turn cancerous long after infection, many years apparently. From what I can gather the infection is found in nearly everyone, but males are more susceptible for it becoming cancerous.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Anyone see the article yesterday about the massive rise in oral cancers caused seemingly by HPV?

I was expecting it to be about vapes, but nope. "

Very old news.

» Add a new message to this topic