FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Shingles

Shingles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hirley OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

Recently I had this virus, I wasn't at all knowledgeable of it, I had only heard of its existence. It was very painful and still, some weeks on showing signs of scaring, but I'm ok now. I found a common misconception amongst people I spoke to that it was somehow contagious, or that I infact must have caught it somewhere... this is not the case, and is just a dormant part of the chickenpox virus I had as a kid, it stays in your spine, more information on the NHS website. You can give someone chickenpox however who hasn't had that virus, so it is important to cover up.

The main point I wanted to say was that I noticed only last week I think gsk were advertising something to do with shingles symptoms awareness and I had never seen that before! It got me thinking about if there is a known increase in the number of cases and what that could be

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I got shingles back in the 90's following a bout of being particularly run down due to my father's death and the contracting glandular fever.

Shortly after I came down with shingles and as you say lays dormant in spinal fluid.

To date it was the single most painful experience of my life and very nearly lost the vision in my left eye.

The nerve pain I suffered was like nothing else.

Subsequently I have suffered from it almost yearly ever since.

With only covid surpassing the effects on my nervous system.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

I've had childhood chickenpox. Only in adult hood have I had shingles, which is quite mild. I feel a bit fluey and I have a tickling sensation under the left shoulder blades.

I think I had it this summer, but without the tickling in the shoulders, but an itch that wouldn't go away in my leg.

By *sexman1Man  over a year ago

north oxfordshire

I think you can get a jab for it

By *hirley OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

"I got shingles back in the 90's following a bout of being particularly run down due to my father's death and the contracting glandular fever.

Shortly after I came down with shingles and as you say lays dormant in spinal fluid.

To date it was the single most painful experience of my life and very nearly lost the vision in my left eye.

The nerve pain I suffered was like nothing else.

Subsequently I have suffered from it almost yearly ever since.

With only covid surpassing the effects on my nervous system.

"

I'm sorry to hear this for you, but also for me, as I've been told by several health professionals that what I had, though granted wasn't in my eye (ouch) was a fairly extreme case

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Shingles may be treatable, if diagnosed early, shortening the outbreak and reducing the severity. It's worth making yourself aware of the symptoms, so you can get treatment in time.

There are vaccines available, which the NHS provides for over 70s. You can get it privately whilst under 70.

By *r not quite virginMan  over a year ago

rochdale

I had shingles a few years ago on my back. It was diagnosed within a few days so I was given meds to prevent it spreading. People say its highly contagious which it technically is...under specific conditions. It's only contagious when it's weeping and you have to make physical contact with it. So whoever is replacing the dressing needs to be careful but it's unlikely to spread.

By *elkieWoman  over a year ago

Durham

Vaccination against shingles drastically cuts the incidence of post-herpetic neuralgia - as does treatment with antivirals. I didn’t get antivirals in time and now I have PHN and chronic fatigue.

And yes, it’s highly likely you’re going to see it more, shingles is more likely when you’re stressed and run down - and right now that’s all of us.

By *ave05Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford Essex

I had shingles a month after Covid as rather run down after the virus. If you are diagnosed and start the anti vitals within 72 hours symptoms are less severe - mine was mild along the left arm.

I’m getting the vaccine later this month privately- it’s quite expensive but is a lifetime protection and I’m not wishing a repeat of it again.

By *appytaffWoman  over a year ago

blackwood

I’ve had chicken pox twice ( yes it is possible )

And then had shingles affecting my chest and the glands in my neck . Fortunately I was able to have anti virals

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I've had a few outbreaks of shingles, which seemed to hit me while caring for my late mother in law who was prone to them too. She also seemed to "give them" to my little boy at the same time. They are sore and make you feel very miserable.

The doctor can give jabs for it now. I plan to ask if they cause me another outbreak.

Central

"I had shingles a month after Covid as rather run down after the virus. If you are diagnosed and start the anti vitals within 72 hours symptoms are less severe - mine was mild along the left arm.

I’m getting the vaccine later this month privately- it’s quite expensive but is a lifetime protection and I’m not wishing a repeat of it again."

I'm considering the vaccine privately too, after also having it. It was unpleasant enough, even though I had the antiviral treatment. I'm guessing that there's a high chance of getting shingles again, before I'm due the NHS vaccine.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"I think you can get a jab for it"

You have to be over 70 to be eligible for the shingles vaccine on the NHS.

By *esthetic21Man  over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

I had shingles a few year ago and it was by far the most painful experience of my life it literally paralysed me for a few weeks. Can see how it would kill vulnerable people. From what I can tell I only had a medium severity can't imagine what the full blown would have been like.

By *ango0505Woman  over a year ago

Dumfries

My daughter is twenty four and she has had Shingles four times this year. She’s had them in her throat, her ears and worst was in her eyes.

By *rotic_lokiMan  over a year ago

Swindon

Helps to be nudist with shingles.

Stayed in and wore nothing for 4 weeks..

Bastard GP would not prescribe antivirals only camomile I got as kid when it was chicken ?? pox.

Central

"Helps to be nudist with shingles.

Stayed in and wore nothing for 4 weeks..

Bastard GP would not prescribe antivirals only camomile I got as kid when it was chicken ?? pox.

"

I'm assuming that you had had shingles for longer than the period that antivirals are effective from. It's bad luck that you didn't get them and their potential relief

By *moothCriminal_xMan  over a year ago

Redditch

There is a link in the rise of shingles and covid by the look of things. Sometimes a viral infection can trigger off the dormant herpes that causes shingles.

I had it a few months ago. No real pain fortunately.

Fyi you can catch chicken pox from contact with a shingles rash if it is at the oozing/blistering stage. You cant catch shingles from shingles and you wont get chicken pox if youve had it before...probably

Central

It's really worth all of us who had chickenpox to be aware of the symptoms of shingles, so that we can identify it and to seek diagnosis and treatment from a Doctor.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had it a few years back doc asked me a few questions and said it was probably triggered by my work stress.

I wouldn't have disagreed either.

I had the tiniest rash however, it doesn't always end there..

I had the most horrendous chest pain opposite side considered dialling 999 but it was in the early hours.

I had a scan, ecg's several over a few months nothing however, 6 to 12 months later I find it uncomfortable to lie on either side ever since chest wise.

GP hasn't said much.

But I don't think I got off quiet scot free!!

It can lead to strokes too...

By *unandgamegeekMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I had shingles when I had chickenpox at a late age of 27 back in 2012. It nearly killed me.

I caught up while I was on holiday with my mum, dad and brother in Florida for two weeks. I was fine for the first week but I felt awful for the second week which kind of ruined our holiday. We was lucky to be able to fly home at the end of the holiday.

As soon as we got home, we went to a 24 hour medical centre and they sent us straight to the hospital when they saw it was chickenpox plus they didn't like the look of me as I looked terrible and my skin was nearly grey. I ended up there for three and a half days and hated every minute of it but was glad to go home when I recovered.

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

I rarely get the rash I do however get hypersensitive skin, generally flares up if my immune system is compromised

» Add a new message to this topic