FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Anti-malaria drug legal claim

Anti-malaria drug legal claim

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *obleroneToShare OP   Man 11 weeks ago

Cypress Avenue, nr Bristol

Article in Telegraph online...

Veterans and military personnel who suffered debilitating side-effects from the controversial anti-malarial drug Lariam (Mefloquine) have launched a groundbreaking legal battle against the Ministry of Defence.

From Wikipedia

"Mefloquine was formulated at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in the 1970s shortly after the end of the Vietnam war. Mefloquine was number 142,490 of a total of 250,000 antimalarial compounds screened during the study.

Mefloquine was the first Public-Private Venture (PPV) between the US Department of Defense and a pharmaceutical company. WRAIR transferred all its phase I and phase II clinical trial data to Hoffman-LaRoche and Smith Kline. FDA approval as a treatment for malaria was swift. Most notably, phase III safety and tolerability trials were skipped.

The drug was first approved in Switzerland in 1984 by Hoffmann-LaRoche, who brought it to market with the name Lariam.

However, mefloquine was not approved by the FDA for prophylactic use until 1989. This approval was based primarily on compliance, while safety and tolerability were overlooked.

By 1994, medical professionals were noting 'severe psychiatric side effects observed during prophylaxis and treatment with mefloquine'.

In 2013, the US Army banned mefloquine from use by its special forces such as the Green Berets. In autumn 2016, the UK military followed suit with their Australian peers after a parliamentary inquiry into the matter revealed that it can cause permanent side effects and brain damage.

In 2020 the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) admitted to a breach of duty regarding the use of Mefloquine by acknowledging numerous instances of failure to assess the risks and warn of potential side effects of the drug."

Will the COVID-19 vaccinations be the next Mefloquine?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lik and PaulCouple 11 weeks ago

Flagrante

Will the COVID-19 vaccinations be the next Mefloquine

Probably not.

By *ldgeezermeMan 11 weeks ago

Newcastle, Throckley

I don't believe they give any protection against malaria

By *eadingCouple1963Couple 11 weeks ago

Reading

"I don't believe they give any protection against malaria"

Brilliant

By *hristopherd999Man 11 weeks ago

Brentwood

"Article in Telegraph online...

Veterans and military personnel who suffered debilitating side-effects from the controversial anti-malarial drug Lariam (Mefloquine) have launched a groundbreaking legal battle against the Ministry of Defence.

From Wikipedia

"Mefloquine was formulated at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in the 1970s shortly after the end of the Vietnam war. Mefloquine was number 142,490 of a total of 250,000 antimalarial compounds screened during the study.

Mefloquine was the first Public-Private Venture (PPV) between the US Department of Defense and a pharmaceutical company. WRAIR transferred all its phase I and phase II clinical trial data to Hoffman-LaRoche and Smith Kline. FDA approval as a treatment for malaria was swift. Most notably, phase III safety and tolerability trials were skipped.

The drug was first approved in Switzerland in 1984 by Hoffmann-LaRoche, who brought it to market with the name Lariam.

However, mefloquine was not approved by the FDA for prophylactic use until 1989. This approval was based primarily on compliance, while safety and tolerability were overlooked.

By 1994, medical professionals were noting 'severe psychiatric side effects observed during prophylaxis and treatment with mefloquine'.

In 2013, the US Army banned mefloquine from use by its special forces such as the Green Berets. In autumn 2016, the UK military followed suit with their Australian peers after a parliamentary inquiry into the matter revealed that it can cause permanent side effects and brain damage.

In 2020 the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) admitted to a breach of duty regarding the use of Mefloquine by acknowledging numerous instances of failure to assess the risks and warn of potential side effects of the drug."

Will the COVID-19 vaccinations be the next Mefloquine?"

No

By *melie LALWoman 11 weeks ago

Peterborough

Such a sarcastic little bugger you are

By *naswingdressWoman 11 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh I'd love to see them try. That shit would be fucking hilarious.

By *lym4realCouple 11 weeks ago

plymouth

Nope is the simple answer !! and i'd like to sue them because we got the ones without the chips though as we have no idea where we are and what we are doing or even where we are going and what we are supposed to doing when we get where ever we are going or have been and so that tracking chip would have come in damn handy and we now have to rely 100% on Mrs4 Smart phone and google maps/sat nav function ( anyone notice the flaw in the chip thingie ??) xx

By *I TwoCouple 11 weeks ago

all around

They don't, I messaged a YouTube doctor guy who's an expert

Reading

"I don't believe they give any protection against malaria

They don't, I messaged a YouTube doctor guy who's an expert "

Which Dr.?

By *naswingdressWoman 11 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

They don't, I messaged a YouTube doctor guy who's an expert "

Yes. Obviously the terrain effects that result in Covid are very similar to those which result in malaria. The humoral analysis is also very similar.

(Is Hippocrates too mainstream to be believed these days? Or the fact he influenced Shakespeare?)

By *ophieslutTV/TS 11 weeks ago

Central

"Article in Telegraph online...

From Wikipedia

Will the COVID-19 vaccinations be the next Mefloquine?"

Almost certainly not, as they had very different research and development pathways. Every medicine can have side effects, of course, and there will always be some that will be affected more seriously.

By *pandjMan 11 weeks ago

yeovil

Used to get mega vivid sex dreams about my gf at the time on these.

Then I'd wake up in the middle of the desert with the lads.

By *oyrMan 11 weeks ago

Birmingham

Years ago I had to take Larium for a job abroad. The medical advisor was often challenged about the side effects but her answer was always the same.

"Larium gives hundreds of people some unpleasant side effects, but without it thousands more would die of malaria."

Seemed a fairly clear cost : benefit analysis to me

By *I TwoCouple 11 weeks ago

all around

Which Dr.? "

nah .. witch not Which

Reading

Which Dr.?

nah .. witch not Which "

Bloody autocorrect

Peterborough

" Nope is the simple answer !! and i'd like to sue them because we got the ones without the chips though as we have no idea where we are and what we are doing or even where we are going and what we are supposed to doing when we get where ever we are going or have been and so that tracking chip would have come in damn handy and we now have to rely 100% on Mrs4 Smart phone and google maps/sat nav function ( anyone notice the flaw in the chip thingie ??) xx "

Would save a lot of money re patients with dementia going walkabout

Peterborough

Which Dr.? "

I know a song...

By (user no longer on site) 11 weeks ago

I have army mates that took lariam and they aren't right from it.

By *ondiego85Man 11 weeks ago

nottingham

Oh ffs

Can somebody please tell me why this site is full of antivaxxers?

Guys, your stupidity sets you on such a different level from other people that we should treat you like a special needs group.

Peterborough

"Oh ffs

Guys, your stupidity sets you on such a different level from other people that we should treat you like a special needs group."

Have a chill pill m'dear.

I shall fight the good fight about making an informed decision. Neither pro or anti should insult the other side.

By *ondiego85Man 11 weeks ago

nottingham

"Oh ffs

Guys, your stupidity sets you on such a different level from other people that we should treat you like a special needs group.

Have a chill pill m'dear.

I shall fight the good fight about making an informed decision. Neither pro or anti should insult the other side."

LOL. No.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 10 weeks ago

Cumbria

We need to give them to mosquitoes to see if they stop transmission.

By *ldgeezermeMan 10 weeks ago

Newcastle, Throckley

We need to give them to mosquitoes to see if they stop transmission."

Are you crazy?

What if it alters their DNA and we end up with mosquitoes the size of houses?

By *uriousCouple 200Couple 10 weeks ago

leeds

We need to give them to mosquitoes to see if they stop transmission.

Are you crazy?

What if it alters their DNA and we end up with mosquitoes the size of houses?"

we could vote them into parliment probably do a better job

» Add a new message to this topic