FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Fuck sake...

Fuck sake...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just FYI I was okay with all this self isolation and social distancing stuff, until it started personally fucking up my life...

For context:

I was made redundant in April last year when my company decided to streamline and my role was cut. Instead of falling into another dead end job I took my redundancy package and a couple of credit cards and enrolled in a (very expensive) computer programming bootcamp in London for three months over the summer. It was incredibly hard work, which didn't stop after the course was over when job hunting became my full time job, as well as continuing my learning. It took me about six months to find a company in the city willing to take a chance on a junior web developer with no commercial experience but I finally did it, and after months of not only hard work and dedication but also uncertainty and feeling like maybe I had made a massive mistake I finally felt like I was starting a career and my life was coming together; I was finally proud of my life and felt on par with my peers who were enjoying successful careers and wealth. The salary was not anything to sniff at either, after a couple of years on being on pretty basic finance admin pay.

Then COVID hit.

I have been working for this company for just over a month, and the last 3 weeks have been from home. I just got told today that because of the economic crisis surrounding COVID they have to cut some of their spending, i.e me.

I am devastated. And numb.

Not only did I finally feel like my life was coming together and getting myself into all that debt for a career change was finally proving to be worth it, but also I am now incredibly worried about money. My amazing parents had been supporting me through my job hunt and now that they are unable to work (as they are self employed) I was proud to finally be able to offer them financial help through this difficult time and look after them for a change.

Anyway, I know lots of people are in this same situation. It really seriously sucks. I guess I thought because I could do my job from home I was 100% safe, but I guess no one is in these uncertain times.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Really sorry to hear that ..it's fucking shit

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Amber........ That is a tough story but I can see you are a "fighter". You have suffered another set back not of your making. Won't be easy but you will find a way through. You are young and have supportive parents. Back in 1990 I made the transition into self-employment, certainly in easier circumstances but it did work out right. There will be something there for you....!!

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

That is really harsh. You’re not alone, many many people are in the same boat or worse.

Make sure you look into all the government help that’s available, but also the help that should be coming from your bank, re mortgage, fees, overdraft, interest etc.

It probably doesn’t feel like it, but you’ve got a fantastic and very relevant skill set for now and the future. I don’t know much about e commerce and website development, but are there more local options for customers you could sell web services to, even local tradespeople who need help with their google rankings?

Do you need to work in London, or could you look more to the tech areas around Slough for example? Best wishes

"That is really harsh. You’re not alone, many many people are in the same boat or worse.

Make sure you look into all the government help that’s available, but also the help that should be coming from your bank, re mortgage, fees, overdraft, interest etc.

It probably doesn’t feel like it, but you’ve got a fantastic and very relevant skill set for now and the future. I don’t know much about e commerce and website development, but are there more local options for customers you could sell web services to, even local tradespeople who need help with their google rankings?

Do you need to work in London, or could you look more to the tech areas around Slough for example? Best wishes "

Thank you. I am taking today and maybe tomorrow to decompress and deal with my feelings surrounding this, then I will get on it re trying to sort out my finances and job hunting etc.

I don't HAVE to work in London but it is by far easier to get a job there, especially the tech hub around Shoreditch.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

Virtual hugs to you.

I hope you find something that suits your new skills with longevity soon

"Virtual hugs to you.

I hope you find something that suits your new skills with longevity soon "

Thank you x

By *ooskiMan  over a year ago

south coast

Keep making our own luck, youve proved you can do it......

If you get any help from our gov take that as a bonus

By *hy_bangor_bi-girlWoman  over a year ago

Bangor

So sorry to hear that xx

Hope you come back stronger than ever

These certainly are challenging and scary times ahead for us all xx

By *am6691Man  over a year ago

Watford

What a sad story from someone who has made this big change in employment direction and had the dedication to spend hours learning and missing times out with friends.

I spent the last 3 years doing a degree so I know the sacrifices you had to make.

This country will bounce back and now business are getting used to people working remotely there will be a big demand for programmers to make this way of working the norm going forward

Terribly sorry to hear this. Been there and got the t-shirt in the same game.

Please do reply to my PM as I may be able to share some resources.

By *rindnbumpCouple  over a year ago

Our little world of Kinky Fuckery in Durham

Have a look on Money Saving Expert website and search 'Furlough".

It could be an option for you.

Hope you get sorted x

By *otgirl32Woman  over a year ago

Ashton Under Lyne

Lots of hugs Amber. I'm so sorry this has happened at a shite filled time. You're only 25 and gorgeous, you have LOADS more to come so this will pass

Kisses, Gail

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I understand your need to vent, honestly I do. At times life can seem very unfair, but look around...we're nearly all seriously fucked!

We're all holding pity parties of some sort but we're the only guest. The world has changed as we know it for now. To get through this look at what you have, not what you don't.

You're young, educated and ambitious. You have loving parents and health. You found a dream job, you will again. The alternative, you could be in a body bag in a freezer.

Life has its challenges at the moment for sure, but I have a feeling you'll be alright when this madness dies down.

"Have a look on Money Saving Expert website and search 'Furlough".

Hope you get sorted x"

Thank you for the suggestion. I did ask my HR department about this and because I started too late in February to be on their payroll for that month I don't qualify for furlough as whoever's payroll you were on on the 28th Feb is who you would be getting paid through. Obviously before this job I was unemployed so wasn't on any payroll at all... If I'd started literally a few days earlier I could be getting 80% of my salary right now. That's the bit I'm finding hardest to deal with at the moment.

By *andy2123Couple  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Wishing you all the luck in the world hun xx

Thank you for your kind words everybody. Obviously I am in a better position than some as I don't have kids or a mortgage to worry about (although I do have vulnerable parents who can't work at the moment and I was planning on supporting). I know there's lots of people worse off than I am and this situation sucks for everybody but I am taking a bit of time to be sad right now as it's my second time getting made redundant in a row so I'm just a bit "woe is me" right now. But I guess things can't get worse right? After every storm comes a rainbow and all that

Hope you get sorted x

Thank you for the suggestion. I did ask my HR department about this and because I started too late in February to be on their payroll for that month I don't qualify for furlough as whoever's payroll you were on on the 28th Feb is who you would be getting paid through. Obviously before this job I was unemployed so wasn't on any payroll at all... If I'd started literally a few days earlier I could be getting 80% of my salary right now. That's the bit I'm finding hardest to deal with at the moment. "

You would have been on their payroll / in their employment from the first day you started working for them so if that was before the 28th February do you not still qualify??

Hope you get sorted x

Thank you for the suggestion. I did ask my HR department about this and because I started too late in February to be on their payroll for that month I don't qualify for furlough as whoever's payroll you were on on the 28th Feb is who you would be getting paid through. Obviously before this job I was unemployed so wasn't on any payroll at all... If I'd started literally a few days earlier I could be getting 80% of my salary right now. That's the bit I'm finding hardest to deal with at the moment.

You would have been on their payroll / in their employment from the first day you started working for them so if that was before the 28th February do you not still qualify?? "

I've just emailed HR asking them this. They will probably say no but I don't want to say I didn't try

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Ah mate that’s shit especially as it looked like you were on the path you wanted to be on.

Have a look at up skilling while you are off. There are a few free courses and seminars going on in the IT world at the moment.

When this dies down there will be opportunities in joined up communication so it maybe something to research and get ahead of the game.

Lots of IT industry in the MK area if you need to look around.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Hope you get sorted x

You would have been on their payroll / in their employment from the first day you started working for them so if that was before the 28th February do you not still qualify??

I've just emailed HR asking them this. They will probably say no but I don't want to say I didn't try "

I'm definitely no expert but have been reading alot about furlouging as our company are doing the same thing to some of our employees.

If your first day of your employment was before 28th February I would stress to your employer that you can be furloughed and it will not costs them money as they can claim 80% of your wages (up to £2500) back from the government.

If 80% of your monthly wage is more then £2500 ask them if they would be willing for you to sign an agreement to take a pay deduction so that your wages is covered by the government.

They don't even have to keep you in employment when all this is over but will benefit you at no cost to them.

Hope that helps x

I’m so sorry Amber xx I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be quite common.

However after reading your story it sounds like you are going to beat it....... you managed to adapt and change your life; good on you for that xxx

I know that I might sound trite (I’m not) but just keep doing what you’ve done before. Give yourself a minute to collect your thoughts and then crack on xxx big hugs for you and everyone else that will go through this........ you will get through this x

Hope you get sorted x

I've just emailed HR asking them this. They will probably say no but I don't want to say I didn't try

I'm definitely no expert but have been reading alot about furlouging as our company are doing the same thing to some of our employees.

If your first day of your employment was before 28th February I would stress to your employer that you can be furloughed and it will not costs them money as they can claim 80% of your wages (up to £2500) back from the government.

If 80% of your monthly wage is more then £2500 ask them if they would be willing for you to sign an agreement to take a pay deduction so that your wages is covered by the government.

They don't even have to keep you in employment when all this is over but will benefit you at no cost to them.

Hope that helps x"

I've PM'd you

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

You sound like a fighter, a lot of web dev can be done remotely have you looked at online work to do?

Hope you get sorted x

Hope that helps x

I've PM'd you "

I'm sorry to ear that. You could try to find a job for one of those companies that are considered essential like financial services or telecom. Many positions are now on hold, but some companies are still recruiting. Don't give up! In the meanwhile you could think about volunteering for NHS to keep you busy. Best whishes!

By *ltra72Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Amber, don’t forget the more knocks we take makes us stronger and wiser. One good thing is that time is on your side. Never give up and keep looking forward. Xx

Sorry to hear that! I guess it will all be about applying for benefits etc to keep you a float!

At least your not having to go out and work and risk your health!

By *ondoctorMan  over a year ago

birmingham

Sad story mate,and you are sucj a fighter,i hope you come out of it after al this shit,life is hard for some of us

» Add a new message to this topic