FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Changing the colour of your bike.

Changing the colour of your bike.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oldswarrior OP   Man  over a year ago

Falkirk

Out of all the bikes I've owned i have always stuck to the factory colours and decals.

Was pondering today that I wouldn't mind changing the colour of the big K.

Now I can do this two ways, I can buy alternative fairings and plastics or I can have it painted.

(I would add having it wrapped but a mate of mine had his R1 wrapped and it looked like a bag of shit after a couple of months)

So whats the opinion ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

I done it once with a GSXR.

It was yellow and black but i wanted the classic Suzuki Racing stripes like the old slab sides.

I was going to send it to Dream Machine to get done but opted for Bike Paints in Cuper Fife.

They done a fantastic job.

I never changed the colour of the bike officially, however I was randomly stopped coming back from the NEC and the policeman got all excited thinking it was a stolen bike on different plates. Luckily my insurers were notified and they also had the frame and engine numbers.

I think you should at least notify your insurers for official records.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd be tempted to get replica fairings and have those painted. Drastic step respraying the originals if you decide you don't like it.

I wrapped my own bike, pig of a job and some bits work far better than others on bikes so I understand you not wanting to go down that route, but it made me realise I actually preferred the original colours and at least the wrap was easy to remove.

By *uskymotoMan  over a year ago

Cumbria

I had a regular FB i met on here, she was a red head. I fitted a replica fairing ordered from China in ginger. My R1 has remained ginger and black and looks amazing. Gets plenty of comments about the colour scheme and nobody knows the reason i chose it. The fit was 99.9% perfect but i didn't fit the tank cover. It cost less than 1 brand new fairing panel and I'd definitely recommended one from a reputable supplier. Have a look for LKK Motor and see what you find. Import is no problem at all.

By *uskymotoMan  over a year ago

Cumbria

Forgot to say, their main sales and advertising channel is "fairing master" do a Google for that to see more of what's available off the peg. LKK motor is the parent company and do the more custom stuff.

Falkirk

"I had a regular FB i met on here, she was a red head. I fitted a replica fairing ordered from China in ginger. My R1 has remained ginger and black and looks amazing. Gets plenty of comments about the colour scheme and nobody knows the reason i chose it. The fit was 99.9% perfect but i didn't fit the tank cover. It cost less than 1 brand new fairing panel and I'd definitely recommended one from a reputable supplier. Have a look for LKK Motor and see what you find. Import is no problem at all. "

Years ago I had this issue when my mate dropped my ZXR accidentally.

I couldn't get the graphics or the fairing panel anywhere in the UK at the time.

I ordered one of the panels pre painted online. The fit was absolutely shocking with the bolt recesses not lining up and the panel gap it caused between the nose cone and new fairing was huge.

In the end Bike Paints in Fife (can't rate this guy enough) plastic welded the original panel and then painted the fairing in the original factory colours and decals.

That must have been about 2004 ish.

The replica kits may have come on from then.

Falkirk

"Forgot to say, their main sales and advertising channel is "fairing master" do a Google for that to see more of what's available off the peg. LKK motor is the parent company and do the more custom stuff. "

On it now

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’d say buy plain white or black (or another colour) fairings and then paint over those maybe. Stock fairings are pretty expensive to buy if you ever decide to go back to it.

Mate did this with his old R6 and got some nice custom drawings on the sides. Was very unique and always got attention anywhere he stopped.

» Add a new message to this topic