FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Nc500

Nc500

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now lockdown is easing I’m looking at doing the 500 I love the west highlands and know them very well but not so sure about the north east .. any tips on places worth seeing .. going in 2 weeks time .. thanks folks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I'm planning on driving this early next summer. I asked in the Scotland forum and got loads of advice.

By *iking SoftiesCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

We did a big part of it last year, the west coast is better than the east. We stayed one night in Wick, we would have been better trying somewhere else. Inverness has some good pubs but how it will be with covid we couldn't say. Not sure if it is part of the NC 500 but the Old Military Road through the Cairngorms is a cracking ride.

Yeah I agree .. done the west as far as durness and I know Inverness is ok just wasn’t sure of the bit invetween lol

By *jcukMan  over a year ago

Solihull

I was planning on doing it this year but, well enough said. Hopefully next year though, would be interested in overnight recommendations though. I was told to do it anti-clockwise, save the best till last.

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

This is on my bucket list too, I was going to do it this year but its looking doubtful now. 5 or 6 days and take in some sightseeing too.

By *artin ramseyMan  over a year ago

kendal

Me and the wife doing it first two weeks of September

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

Doing it soon, long ride up and back from Essex but can't wait

By *lancmangecplCouple  over a year ago

farnborough

I done most of it a few years back apart from the cross country bit. Instead we started at Loch Lomond, went through Skye and took the ferry to Harris for a couple of days. Carried on the route and also went over to Orkney. rather than coming across country at Inverness we carried on down to Edinburgh. Took 10 days altogether to travel up and get round and was possibly the best holiday I’ve (mr) had.

Don’t really think there’s tips for things to see as it’s all amazing. The roads, views and wildlife.

Not sure what you’re planning to do for accommodation but we went in early July and there was perpetual light even though the sun had gone down. We were intending to camp out but had to alternate between camping and bed and breakfasts to get a good nights sleep.

Take a go pro and something to upload the videos to. You’ll regret not doing so in my opinion.

Feel free to pm if you want to see some of the pics!

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. There's really not much between JoG and Inverness, so you're better off exploring inland.

The Loch Shin road (Laxford Bridge to Lairg), and the Oykel Bridge road (Lairg to Ledmore) are definitely worth including.

By *iking SoftiesCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"I was planning on doing it this year but, well enough said. Hopefully next year though, would be interested in overnight recommendations though. I was told to do it anti-clockwise, save the best till last. "

Having done most of it in the other direction I would agree with this, save the best til last ??

By *scarwilde1330Couple  over a year ago

Warrington

Done it 3 times now we always finish at sleeperz in rogart

You get to sleep in a train carriage

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

The breach na has is one road you have to do, and the Applecross Inn does the most amazing steak.

We Rode the bealach and spent the night at the inn. Amazing road. Amazing food and the most beautiful views.

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

Bloody auto carrot.

Should read bealach na baa.

Videos on youtube

By *othighlander2Man  over a year ago

North Inverness

I'm lucky enough to live on the route and love it but I'd avoid just now cos camoervan madness and they don't know how to use mirrors!! If anyone needs any ingo give me a shout and would gladly meet up if I'm around

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

"The breach na has is one road you have to do, and the Applecross Inn does the most amazing steak.

We Rode the bealach and spent the night at the inn. Amazing road. Amazing food and the most beautiful views."

Also wild camping on the Loch side (a short walk from the inn). Public toilets are fine for washing and there's a tap for drinking water. And, a fuel pump that takes credit cards so 24hrs.

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

I live in Central Scotland and have ridden bikes most of my life, still do.

I've ridden the nc500 a good few times long before they gave it a name and know a few people who live and work in the area.

They tell a different story of road blockages, waste left lying everywhere, speeding bikes and a big rise in accidents that small community police force and ambulance services are struggling to cope with.

If you are going please think of the locals and drive carefully.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/travel/2019/may/25/dark-side-scotland-north-coast-500-route-speeding-congestion-protest

By *eelgoodfactorMan  over a year ago

Highlands

I live on the NC500. In a usual summer it can be busy, but most locals love the bikers and the money they bring to this financially challenged part of the world. It's campervans, caravans and lorries that cause the congestion. If you don't freak locals out with mad overtaking you will be welcomed in the Highlands.

Recommend anti clockwise, though either way it's a great ride and stunning views

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

Drive bits of it most days for work.

At the moment I would say careful planning is needed as many shops, eateries and facilities are shut or reduced hours/services

"Bloody auto carrot.

Should read bealach na baa.

Videos on youtube"

Yeah it’s a stunning road I agree

By *scarwilde1330Couple  over a year ago

Warrington

Didn't do that road last year as we came off the bike on the wsy there

Last 2 times nearly came off on the bends but good fun

Maybe do it again next year