FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > GS1200 Adventurer

GS1200 Adventurer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *moothshaft OP   Man  over a year ago

Coventry

Twice now, I've dropped it at zero miles per hour! I'm having real problems touching the ground, seat is at its lowest setting, but still find myself going from tiptoe to tiptoe at lights and junctions.

It's a monster of a bike to pick back up, been told there's a easy way to do it but not been shown.

I'm sure you need to be a minimum 5'11" to own one of these!

Any advice out there?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Twice now, I've dropped it at zero miles per hour! I'm having real problems touching the ground, seat is at its lowest setting, but still find myself going from tiptoe to tiptoe at lights and junctions.

It's a monster of a bike to pick back up, been told there's a easy way to do it but not been shown.

Any advice out there? "

I have a Triumph 1200 explorer. I put some new lowering links on the rear suspension, they came with a new adjuster for the electronic suspension sensor. then dropped the front forks through the yolks about an inch. Lust racing is where I bought them from. Don't know if you will get them for your BMW but worth a look. They are so easy to fit

Coventry

"Twice now, I've dropped it at zero miles per hour! I'm having real problems touching the ground, seat is at its lowest setting, but still find myself going from tiptoe to tiptoe at lights and junctions.

Any advice out there?

I have a Triumph 1200 explorer. I put some new lowering links on the rear suspension, they came with a new adjuster for the electronic suspension sensor. then dropped the front forks through the yolks about an inch. Lust racing is where I bought them from. Don't know if you will get them for your BMW but worth a look. They are so easy to fit "

Thank you so much for that mate!

I've not long had it, but I've got to do something! It's a dream to ride, it's just stopping lol. I dropped it today at a junction with Mrs on back, no harm done, both fine and laughing about it, just embarrassed!

I'll find out about what you've suggested.

Thanks very much.

By *athers123Man  over a year ago

Harpenden

Daytona make boots with an extra thick insole. They look normal on the outside but make you 2 or 3 inches taller by effectively making your legs longer.

By *athers123Man  over a year ago

Harpenden

Also it's not just the seat height you can lower. You can set the preload on the front and back to minimum somehow. At 5'11 you should easily manage. There's a woman on youtube that's 5'6 who explains how she rides hers effectively. Search for Jocelin Snow size doesn't matter. Makes for a good wank too LOL!

Coventry

"Also it's not just the seat height you can lower. You can set the preload on the front and back to minimum somehow. At 5'11 you should easily manage. There's a woman on youtube that's 5'6 who explains how she rides hers effectively. Search for Jocelin Snow size doesn't matter. Makes for a good wank too LOL!"

Cheers for this.

Yeah I might have added an inch on my profile when I wrote it!

But gonna look at lowering it today.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a GS Adventure and I am on tiptoes at times but I actually like the sheer physicality of it, Had it two years so far so good, did drop it on the drive once but I was just pushing it backwards and I slipped. The lowering links are a good idea and will help, also run it into your local BMW dealer and have a chat, I can guarantee they will have had this problem before and can offer suggestions.

Stick with it, it’s a great bike, always shied away from the GS because everyone had one. I had an explorer for three years and loved that too, I went to buy another explorer again but ended up with the GS... long story.

Coventry

"I have a GS Adventure and I am on tiptoes at times but I actually like the sheer physicality of it, Had it two years so far so good, did drop it on the drive once but I was just pushing it backwards and I slipped. The lowering links are a good idea and will help, also run it into your local BMW dealer and have a chat, I can guarantee they will have had this problem before and can offer suggestions.

Stick with it, it’s a great bike, always shied away from the GS because everyone had one. I had an explorer for three years and loved that too, I went to buy another explorer again but ended up with the GS... long story."

Nice one Karl thank you.

Yes I'm NOT giving up, I need to show it who's in charge here lol, at the moment, it's the tail wagging the dog!!

I absolutely love riding this spaceship of a bike, and can't wait for me an the Mrs to go further afield (south of France next year), but need to get this right!

By *mazon750Couple  over a year ago

Perth

Im thinking about buying one, im around 5,10". Is it even worth my while going for a test ride if im too small for it?? Any advice welcome. Good, or bad.

By *edsguyMan  over a year ago

south of Bedford

I've got a GS1200 Adenture, I can reach the floor fine but I am 6'5" !!

If anyone is thinking of buying one mine came with a standard GS seat which is about 4" lower than the Adenture, id be happy to sell the genuine BMW seats if someone needed theirs lowering

Love the bike, anyone fancy a ride out ?

Rob

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

It’s a bummer, but with the GS and where you can ride it it’s inevitable that you are going to go over. If the bike falls on it’s left side, kill the engine, turn the bars to the right so the upside bar, right bar, is pointing to the back of the bike, then squat down holding the left bar in your right hand, so you are effectively reversing into the bike, grab something with your left hand, maybe the top engine bars on the adventurer then push up with your legs. That’s using the big muscles to lift the bike. It can be done just by using the bar only but it’s hard if your fully laden with heavy panniers. Hope that helps.

Coventry

"Im thinking about buying one, im around 5,10". Is it even worth my while going for a test ride if im too small for it?? Any advice welcome. Good, or bad. "

Absolutely go for the test ride!

I'm actually the same height as you, it's a fantastic ride. But without doubt, it will go over on you one day, they're a bloody big lump!, but more or less bullet proof, they don't suffer!

You'll love it.

Coventry

"It’s a bummer, but with the GS and where you can ride it it’s inevitable that you are going to go over. If the bike falls on it’s left side, kill the engine, turn the bars to the right so the upside bar, right bar, is pointing to the back of the bike, then squat down holding the left bar in your right hand, so you are effectively reversing into the bike, grab something with your left hand, maybe the top engine bars on the adventurer then push up with your legs. That’s using the big muscles to lift the bike. It can be done just by using the bar only but it’s hard if your fully laden with heavy panniers. Hope that helps. "

Brilliant, thanks for that. I was told there is a special way. I gather there is even a course available for this to be shown and how to ride them!

By *mazon750Couple  over a year ago

Perth

"Im thinking about buying one, im around 5,10". Is it even worth my while going for a test ride if im too small for it?? Any advice welcome. Good, or bad.

I'm actually the same height as you, it's a fantastic ride. But without doubt, it will go over on you one day, they're a bloody big lump!, but more or less bullet proof, they don't suffer!

You'll love it. "

Many thanks for the reply, i already own a Triumph Rocket, so the weight wont be too much of an issue for me, just the seat height was a worry for me, but im gonna see if i can get a test ride first.

Coventry

"Im thinking about buying one, im around 5,10". Is it even worth my while going for a test ride if im too small for it?? Any advice welcome. Good, or bad.

You'll love it. Many thanks for the reply, i already own a Triumph Rocket, so the weight wont be too much of an issue for me, just the seat height was a worry for me, but im gonna see if i can get a test ride first. "

By *xplorer30Man  over a year ago

Attleborough

https://youtu.be/aMdKYH8D0OI

It works well , even with front wheel out as i found out the other week while changing tyres on my 1200 Explorer.

By *hrisy69Man  over a year ago

chester/hawarden

"Im thinking about buying one, im around 5,10". Is it even worth my while going for a test ride if im too small for it?? Any advice welcome. Good, or bad. "

Go for lower suspension I am a short arse 29" inside leg and love mine with lowered frame (factory lowered) so much so I had a low sergeant seat and have it on the high setting lol

» Add a new message to this topic