FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Motorbikleists

Motorbikleists

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *00STER OP   Man  over a year ago

nearby

Hello there - I’m thinking for me next year will be he year of the motor bike I want to get my cbt done and see how I get on - this has been met by my non motorbike friends mostly with questions about which music I’d like at my funeral - so I’m here for some advice / information from the other side of the fence. Am I just heading for an early grave

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There's a biker page on the forum if you scroll down plenty folk that'll help

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

Riding isn’t dangerous. Crashing is dangerous

It’s possible to be very good at it, just cut out the victim mentality and “doesn’t matter how good you are, what about the other bloke” bullshit and you can ride safely for years.

It’s also huge fun, which is worth remembering in this sanitised world

By *ibbleyanutsMan  over a year ago

Eastwood /Leigh on sea

Get some good training and proper gear..helmet leathers etc..and ride within your limits and you should be fine. Have a look in the bikers section of forums further down list and say hallo....plenty of experience there I'm sure

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

No you’re not, I got my license in the 90s only come off three times. Twice in bad weather conditions, once with a car pulling out on me.

You choose to ride safe or dangerously, fast or slow. One thing for certain if you get a taste for it, it’ll never leave

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I think motorcyclist is the usual term. By CBT are you referring to riding round a few cones or cock & ball torture ? chains & sprockets motorbike, chains BDSM

nearby

"No you’re not, I got my license in the 90s only come off three times. Twice in bad weather conditions, once with a car pulling out on me.

You choose to ride safe or dangerously, fast or slow. One thing for certain if you get a taste for it, it’ll never leave "

It does feel like the sort of thing where a lot of the risk is controllable to an extent - yea there will always be the unknown and the idiot, but this will be as a toy - fair weather and weekends, not really commuting.

By *J35mcrMan  over a year ago

Leigh

Love getting out there on the bike, but it can be dangerous especially with these car drivers who just don't care and when they knock you off they all say "sorry I didn't see ya mate".

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"No you’re not, I got my license in the 90s only come off three times. Twice in bad weather conditions, once with a car pulling out on me.

You choose to ride safe or dangerously, fast or slow. One thing for certain if you get a taste for it, it’ll never leave

It does feel like the sort of thing where a lot of the risk is controllable to an extent - yea there will always be the unknown and the idiot, but this will be as a toy - fair weather and weekends, not really commuting.

"

Unlike learning to drive a car, when you have someone next to you telling you to change gear, brake etc..on a bike you’re on your own. But the biking community is very inclusive, you breakdown at the side of the road eventually someone will stop and help. Almost guaranteed that they will be a biker or an ex biker who’s looking out for you.

Welcome to the club (plus you get to wear leather and look cooool )

nearby

Looking over the triumph website has not helped ... roll on 2021 !

By *urham 3 riversMan  over a year ago

Co. Durham

ride safely and think of all four wheel drivers as killers of bikers and you will survive, have fun and join us all free spirits

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Advice is, as with any post like this, is once you have passed your test and chose your bike go for some advance training from IAM. Mrs F and I did this a while ago. I was so impressed I trained as an Observer. The best riding skills I ever had the fortune to be taught.

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

I have been riding for over 40 years & still here to tell the tale.

Don't ride like a teenage arse, trust nobody & keep your eyes wide open

By *oldenfoxMan  over a year ago

chester

I've ridden a motor bike and raced them as well for 50 years the throttle turns both ways you can make it as safe or as dangerous as you want when my sons first rode motor bikes I told them treat all car drivers as idiots 9 out of 10 drivers will pull out infront of you and with that thought in your mind you will survive good luck and enjoy the best pastime in the world

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Ive been riding since about 14yrs old & was a London DR for twelve years.

I’m a fatalist had lots of accidents but then you’d expect that riding eight/ten hours a day five days a week in London. Most were minor, a scrape, a fracture, the one that got me proper was totally beyond my control but I’m still here.

Still riding sports bikes thirty odd years later & had my first accident last year for over ten years.

Again it wasn’t my time & i’m still riding.

Get it done! despite it being responsible for nearly killing me (I died twice in the big one) & leaving me damaged, It’s also been responsible for meeting H & for the best memories outside of family I have.

S

By *rystal DreamtimeTV/TS  over a year ago

horsham

My Granny used to shout at me “ you will kill yourself on them things “ .. nah still here .. My one bit of advise would be .. Do your cbt and stay on the 125 for a while .. if you do need to go up and get your full licence , don’t buy to big and overbike your self .. I’m actually moving back down the cc range now . Big modern bikes have huge power outputs relatively speaking . Still only got two tiny tyres to keep it all under control ... Do enjoy though , it’s a great way to travel

West Wales

"My Granny used to shout at me “ you will kill yourself on them things “ .. nah still here .. My one bit of advise would be .. Do your cbt and stay on the 125 for a while .. if you do need to go up and get your full licence , don’t buy to big and overbike your self .. I’m actually moving back down the cc range now . Big modern bikes have huge power outputs relatively speaking . Still only got two tiny tyres to keep it all under control ... Do enjoy though , it’s a great way to travel "

Don’t, My mum used to say ring if you are going to be late! My dad did shift work, no mobiles, many public call boxes didn’t work so I’d end up not ringing & we’d argue about it.

In the end they got me an SOS Talisman necklace (Still got it) & we sort of agreed that when the phone rang it would mean I’m in bother. After all what’s the point ringing from sixty miles away to tell them you’d be late but you’re OK?

S

"I have been riding for over 40 years & still here to tell the tale.

Don't ride like a teenage arse, trust nobody & keep your eyes wide open"

This, and dont over power your first couple of bikes

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly, and you'll be OK.

35 years riding now, other than putting my foot down to find no road or surface, an Riding gear caught on foot peg, nothing major. Be visible, command your roadspace, understand the limit of a bike and you'll be fine.

I ride with the attitude off everyone is out too kill me.... best advice is buy the right gear once you have passed your DAS the best advice i give any new rider is dont jump on a massive bike go too a 600 for a while and do a trackday you will learn the bike better and you will learn how good you are once youve been on the track you will look at road riding better not as in blasting round the roads but you will realise what the bike is able to do and you wont be nervouse out on the road you will be more confident i ride a gixer 1000 k1 and love track days make me a better more confident rider on the road ??

Also forgot to say a bike is like a horse if it sences fear it will take the piss you have to command your bike also where your eyes look your hands follow

West Wales

"I ride with the attitude off everyone is out too kill me.... best advice is buy the right gear once you have passed your DAS the best advice i give any new rider is dont jump on a massive bike go too a 600 for a while and do a trackday you will learn the bike better and you will learn how good you are once youve been on the track you will look at road riding better not as in blasting round the roads but you will realise what the bike is able to do and you wont be nervouse out on the road you will be more confident i ride a gixer 1000 k1 and love track days make me a better more confident rider on the road ?? "

Agree 100% about the gear, I bounced down the road last year at around 50-55mph didn’t hit anything & got up & walked away with a cut & a few bruises.

Trashed £700-800 of gear but it all did it’s job well.

S

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

"I ride with the attitude off everyone is out too kill me.... best advice is buy the right gear once you have passed your DAS the best advice i give any new rider is dont jump on a massive bike go too a 600 for a while and do a trackday you will learn the bike better and you will learn how good you are once youve been on the track you will look at road riding better not as in blasting round the roads but you will realise what the bike is able to do and you wont be nervouse out on the road you will be more confident i ride a gixer 1000 k1 and love track days make me a better more confident rider on the road ?? "

Thats a bit of a myth to be honest. I went and got an R1 on finance the day after I passed my test.

I was certainly aware of its power and capability. Had it for 4 years and done 30k on it, and never dropped it or put it down the road once.

Track days or race schools are great and certainly would recommend it to anyone. I done the weekend one at knockhill which highlighted loads of bad habits I had.

"I ride with the attitude off everyone is out too kill me.... best advice is buy the right gear once you have passed your DAS the best advice i give any new rider is dont jump on a massive bike go too a 600 for a while and do a trackday you will learn the bike better and you will learn how good you are once youve been on the track you will look at road riding better not as in blasting round the roads but you will realise what the bike is able to do and you wont be nervouse out on the road you will be more confident i ride a gixer 1000 k1 and love track days make me a better more confident rider on the road ??

Thats a bit of a myth to be honest. I went and got an R1 on finance the day after I passed my test.

I was certainly aware of its power and capability. Had it for 4 years and done 30k on it, and never dropped it or put it down the road once.

Track days or race schools are great and certainly would recommend it to anyone. I done the weekend one at knockhill which highlighted loads of bad habits I had.

"

I wouldnt say its a myth at all....ive been riding since i was 5yrs old and thought i had experience untill i had a bad off in 10yrs ago and did a track weekend at knockhill and learned a lot and a lot off crotch rocket riders agree lmao

nearby

Going through the 125 stage was part of my equation ... the scoop I see seem to do a course over 5 days that takes me from a cbt to a full A licence (assuming I don’t fuck it up) which in the long run works out cheaper than getting a 125. And 6 months on the road - however I feel that experience would be rather invaluable - no matter how much a nice triumph calls to me

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"I ride with the attitude off everyone is out too kill me.... best advice is buy the right gear once you have passed your DAS the best advice i give any new rider is dont jump on a massive bike go too a 600 for a while and do a trackday you will learn the bike better and you will learn how good you are once youve been on the track you will look at road riding better not as in blasting round the roads but you will realise what the bike is able to do and you wont be nervouse out on the road you will be more confident i ride a gixer 1000 k1 and love track days make me a better more confident rider on the road ??

I wouldnt say its a myth at all....ive been riding since i was 5yrs old and thought i had experience untill i had a bad off in 10yrs ago and did a track weekend at knockhill and learned a lot and a lot off crotch rocket riders agree lmao "

Track day is part of what advanced riding recommends. Knowledge and experience is so valuable. IAM used to organise track days for members when times were better

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I bought a decent crash helmet before I did my CBT, I got the piss taken out of me by the instructor for it as it was a foggy rep.

Buy the best gear you can afford, it will protect you in a crash.

My advice

Good helmet

Good leather jacket

Good Kevlar jeans

Good training

Good road sense

And ride like no one can see you and assume every car driver is an idiot ( last piece of advice has come from my CBT instructor)

Stay safe and keep it shiney side up

By *jcukMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Heh, my DSA instructor spent two days saying "law of the jungle, biggest thing wins". Feel they're good words to live by when on a bike.

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

We all die sometime. Why not have some fun beforehand.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Lots of good advice.

Proper gear

Manageable bike size and power

Track sessions are good to develop your riding ability.

By far, the best, £ per hour value, is advanced training.

There's a lot of bullsh1t from folks that know nothing about it.

It's not all theory and speed limits.

The practical training will transform your riding and safety.

Stay safe

By *var The BonelessMan  over a year ago

Buntingford

"Advice is, as with any post like this, is once you have passed your test and chose your bike go for some advance training from IAM. Mrs F and I did this a while ago. I was so impressed I trained as an Observer. The best riding skills I ever had the fortune to be taught. "

ALWAYS wear all the gear! ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time), no matter how short the trip.

Ride defensively, as though ANYTHING that might happen will happen and you'll be prepared for it if it does.

Don't rely on you doing the right thing, anticipate everyone else doing the wrong thing. Any direction something can come at you from is where your eyes need to be. Check, re-check and then check again. Nothing up front?...Then look behind!

By *D2015Couple  over a year ago

Wokingham

"Advice is, as with any post like this, is once you have passed your test and chose your bike go for some advance training from IAM. Mrs F and I did this a while ago. I was so impressed I trained as an Observer. The best riding skills I ever had the fortune to be taught. "

Can’t recommend this highly enough

» Add a new message to this topic