FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Lockdown and Motorbikes...

Lockdown and Motorbikes...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lim rizla OP   Man  over a year ago

Ordered a new Honda CB125R just after lockdown 1.0 was announced as was told there is a long waiting list due to Covid-19 restrictions around the world. Couldn't get a CBT course booked till middle of August due to work and family commitments and the fact there was a 2 month waiting list at the training centre. Bike finally came in July. At the end of July I had to unexpectedly work away from home for 8 weeks in another town so didn't get the chance to ride my new bike. When I got back I had to go into self isolation because someone I share accommodation with was diagnosed with Corona. When I finally come out of self isolation we are almost in Lockdown 2.0 and it's raining nearly everyday

Have only taken it out once around the block and got pulled by the cops. Got a lecture about staying indoors because there's a lockdown and was told to go home. Can't really take it to work as I still need some practice and was hoping before the frosty nights kick in I will get some practice on some back roads as I lack experience on 2 wheels. Dont think that's gonna happen now as this bloody lockdown will finish when its probably snowing and blizzards knowing my luck. Really tempted to take it out though.

A friend suggested put a ruck sack on my back with milk and bread in it and if cops stop me then say I'm out doing essential shopping. Theres about a million shops within 3 miles of where I live in the middle of Birmingham. I want to take the bike out away from home on country roads and possibly dual carriage ways. How do you explain to a pedantic cop that you came to buy bread and milk miles from where you live? Looks like the bike will have to stay put for now till life goes back to normal.

Anyway sorry for the essay and the long rant. Just thought I would share my experience of lockdown and motorbikes. Take care and ride safe.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Were you licensed, taxed and insured when you got stopped?

Most pulls are for routine checks. With yours being a new bike, and a prime target for theives I will be routine.

As far as giving you a lecture on lockdown, your bike is your mode of transport. Remember even under caution they tell you "your not obliged to say anything".

I'm not condoning breaking the rules by the way, the information above is common knowledge.

By *ichi_acerMan  over a year ago

notts

Probably the best bet is to wait until next year when the roads are dry and it isn’t so cold crashing isn’t fun

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I used mine all time

During first lockdown for shopping and just mental health days

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 13/11/20 13:20:37]

By *ack n FoxyCouple  over a year ago

Notts/Derby border

Nothing to stop you riding alone during Lockdown. Plenty of stuff on the net about it from solicitors. Cops are wrong... they can’t fine you and if they do then appeal it

Falkirk

The BMF has released a statement regarding riding through lockdown.

Will post the link when I find it again.

Falkirk

https://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/recreational-motorcycling-in-england-permitted-under-new-measures

Falkirk

So yes get out on your bike if you can.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I've done more miles on my bike this year than in a number of years because of the lockdown.

I've been comuting sometimes taking the longer routes home and just out for a ride. The police there have it wrong. When you go out next, put a ruck sack on your back, you will Look like your a commuter.

Best of luck with the Riding etc, it will be one of the best things you ever do.

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

Put your heart rate on and call it exercise.

Few hours of green laning and I’ve smashed the weekly stats.

By *scarwilde1330Couple  over a year ago

Warrington

I've never stopped riding

Commuting and if i want go out for a ride for my mental health. They cannot stop me

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

I wi ride solo I need to give the bike a run anyway to keep the battery healthy

Falkirk

"I wi ride solo I need to give the bike a run anyway to keep the battery healthy"

You not got a battery optimiser.

I got one from Amazon for £15 and it works great.

You certainly need it in the cold weather.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Get the right job, you can use the bike to commute on.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

No garage my bikes are.under a cover

Falkirk

"No garage my bikes are.under a cover "

That will certainly have a detrimental effect on battery life.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I'm riding most days and did so during the first lockdown, much to the annoyance of people on here.

Went green laning yesterday and commuting today

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

Where do you normally go green laning?

By *edyarisCouple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough or Ullswater

If I'd known lock down 2 was coming I wouldn't have sold mine, now I'm stuck for getting a test ride and I've just seen how much they are trying to sell my old bike for so I've lost out on two counts

By *ane DayTV/TS  over a year ago

Swindon

If you do a search for the "British Motorcyclists Federation" web site and go on there and look at "News" you will find what you can do on a motorcycle during lockdown. I hope this is of some use.

Jane

By *lim rizla OP   Man  over a year ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Been out and about on my bike past couple of weeks, depending on weather, and slowly building up my confidence on 2 wheels. I have clocked up a total of 93 miles on the bike since I have had it from new. In my 40's and first time I have ever owned or rode a bike and have no regrets. Thanks again

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

Well done for being adventurous , and discovering the joys (and tradeoffs ) of running a motorcycle) .as you will discover , im sure , life certainly does become more sharply focussed! Enjoy! Give us a wave, keep the wave tradition gping ! X

Cannot you use your bread and milk backpack to help a friend or relative who is shielding/frightened to go out etc

They might be a bit further away, just phone them before you set off and if plod stops you the number is on your phone, if plod wants to call them, they can confirm your story.

If you are helping people you can genuinely go out. Do not try to use this as a scam to get time on your bike and have fun. That would be very, very naughty.

Fuck that .. none of us in our biker gang have changed our biking habits last year.. nobody got stopped. Youve been unlucky bumping into a pedantic cop like you say. Just nod and smile then brush it off and get on with life. Theres far more dangerous abuses of the covid situation than a lone biker out on their own minding there own business.

» Add a new message to this topic