FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Long way up..

Long way up..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ad habit to break OP   Man  over a year ago

South manchester

Just watched this series.. would you buy an Electric Bike if you had the chance....Discuss

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *jcukMan  over a year ago

Solihull

If an electric bike met my needs then I'd have no qualms owning one. As it is I can't see that happening until range is improved AND the country sorts out it's charging infrastructure.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

For me, my bike is about the noise it makes. I don’t think I could go electric even if it would go 500 miles between charges.

[Removed by poster at 24/11/20 08:52:14]

Yes. I love the combustion engine sound and all but electric bikes/cars are the future. Tech generally evolves for the better like phones, computers, buildings so it's just natural vehicles do too.

Loud pipes can warn other road users that a bike is coming, I won’t being getting a bike that makes little or no noise anytime soon!!

By *itolderguy48Man  over a year ago

Newport

We all know the saying Loud pipes save lives, i won't be swapping my harley for a electric bike anytime soon, quiet bike= boring bike!

Solihull

When I did a bike safe course they challenged the loud pipe saying, in that most of the noise goes backwards. And you want people in front of you to hear it. But I've never had more than stock pipes so couldn't overly say myself.

As for electric bikes being boring, electric motors have more torque that combustion generally...

At the end of the day, combustion engines are going to stop being sold, so things will have to improve.

By *reenman19Man  over a year ago

.....no......

I would buy electric. However I don't really like the way new bikes are heading, I like simple systems and bikes are becoming incredibly complex. Fortnine do a comparison between a new and older 300cc and I happen to agree with the veiws there....

I hate abs

TFT displays tend to go invisible in the right light

I wouldn't know how to use half the features they now include...

I require:

Wheels

Engine petrol or electric

Brakes

Suspension

By *reenman19Man  over a year ago

.....no......

I do think electric bikes are a little soulless but that can change. Pipes and the rumble of a petrol engine add to the feel of the bike.

I prefer a lot of the homemade electric bikes over the new ones, they have a bit more of a personality.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I love the concept. I'm not sure if electric vehicles will be a bit of a fad.

Either way, it couldn't be my only bike, and even then would have to be something special to earn a spot in the stable.

By *D2015Couple  over a year ago

Wokingham

I love an engine, however if you haven’t had a go on an electric bike, do so. You will be very surprised, 100% torque from zero rpm makes for an amazing experience. And very little noise is lovely.

Those that say ‘loud pipes save lives’ do not know what you are talking about. I am an engineer in the industry and can 100% say that this is rubbish. And the reason is because the noise created by an exhaust pipe is non directional. This means that a car driver does not know where the noise is coming from, similar to an emergency service siren. You could argue that this means that the driver will look to see where you are but in reality, they don’t, don’t care and are complacent to the sound of a motorcycle. The major reason they look around for a siren is because it could be for them....

I love the noise of my bike. Loud pipes do work to announce your presence sometimes, like when filtering. Electric bikes have their own niche and are the future. Electric vehicles are overly expensive at the moment and its a case of, not financialy viable to most.

Harley Davidson surprisingly have put one over on the other big manufacturers by having an all electric bike for sale. It is not a pig in a poke either. That has been proved by the program, The Long Way Up and they were pre production prototypes, which is extraodinary.

Electric bikes and cars will be the future till they decide that batteries and associated components are actually more harmful and difficult to dispose of safely for the environment and the use of plastics and other materials made to manufacture them cause more harm than good

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

They are way to expensive atbthe moment.

And as pointed out the infrustrucure isnt there to support owning one

I pressed the Harley dealer if the livewire was, 'future proof' with regard to newer charging and battery technology coming along. He looked a bit perplexed and didnt think so.

Can not be upgraded!!

Why would i pay £30K for a bike that takes too long to charge and has a limited range when, within months or a year, i can have a much better version.

"Electric bikes and cars will be the future till they decide that batteries and associated components are actually more harmful and difficult to dispose of safely for the environment and the use of plastics and other materials made to manufacture them cause more harm than good "

Agree whole heartedly with that.

The environmental devastation caused by battery production and disposal is s lot worse than is let on in the green adverts. Also a lot more could be done to use infinately recyclable plastics in body panels and parts. Utilising the existing plastic waste laying around the planet at the moment would be a start.

Solihull

"Agree whole heartedly with that.

The environmental devastation caused by battery production and disposal is s lot worse than is let on in the green adverts. Also a lot more could be done to use infinately recyclable plastics in body panels and parts. Utilising the existing plastic waste laying around the planet at the moment would be a start."

I guess a lot of that is true with non-electric bikes, regarding panels etc. There's still plenty of research and improvements going into batteries, including stuff that doesn't involve mining rare metals, so we should see things get better there. It's the charging issue that's a real kicker for me, wonder if hydrogen will take off next...

By *am450Man  over a year ago

North Kent/Greater London

Issues relating to the electric vs fossil fuel debate are extremely valid and won't be resolved any time soon (hardly a bold statement and I'm an expert on the bleedin' obvious) however I can see myself considering the elastic trickery option; having had a stroke on 30th December last year I cannot use my left arm or hand or raise my left foot so the removal of needing to change gear has an unexpected appeal I love the sound of my XSR900 and as for my 350LC both

the smell and sound

which I won't get from an electric " plug and play" bike but unfortunately neither have been started for nearly a year so yes I could see myself doing the unthinkable and cashing on the value of my LC which would help with the currently ridiculous cost of one of the new breed....

» Add a new message to this topic