FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Harley advice?

Harley advice?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *olo911 OP   Couple  over a year ago

wigan

I getting a Harley but can’t decide between a low rider or a breakout any thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nceuponatimecplCouple  over a year ago

The edge of town

Depends which of you is going to ride it? Both lovely bikes but difficult to manage with short legs as the engine on both is wide and it's hard to keep your leg off the exhaust. Street Bob a better alternative if your stumpy like me... Gretel.

By *igDaddyGriffMan  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I'm not a fan of the smaller front wheel on the Low Riders. I think looks wise the Breakout looks the better of the two imo.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I getting a Harley but can’t decide between a low rider or a breakout any thoughts?"

Ive had both and now have the Low Rider S its a stunning bike 114 so nice and nippy and with twin front brake discs rides amazing too

By *ichi_acerMan  over a year ago

notts

All lads I know who’s had harleys have gone from totally in love to total hatred money pits in about 2 years

Wolverhampton

"All lads I know who’s had harleys have gone from totally in love to total hatred money pits in about 2 years

"

I do keep toying with the idea of a Harley for my next bike (currently on my first "big bike" XV535) but for the money you pay for a half decent Harley could buy me a much better example Jap bike! I keep looking at VN1500's or similar

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

Don't

Had 2 Indians before I test drove a Harley absolutely a better bike am now the owner of a fat boy best thing to do is test drive them see what suits you

Wolverhampton

"Had 2 Indians before I test drove a Harley absolutely a better bike am now the owner of a fat boy best thing to do is test drive them see what suits you "

I'm not sure how I feel about the looks of Indians machined engines. I do want to test ride a couple Harley's next year all being well! I think if I was to go for a Harley however it'll probably end up being an older 1200 Sportster. I don't think I'd bother with an 883

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"Don't "

Definitely this, just don't do it.

By *ama bamaMan  over a year ago

dalkeith

Get a Real bike instead of a harley, as you will need breakdown cover for that and a tarp to keep the rain of it.

By *oopaandchampersCouple  over a year ago

St Johns

I have owned all sorts since the late 70s got a shed full at the mo...Super motards Triumph triples Ducatis etc... love them all.... bought a 2018 Fatboy in Sept ... love it... took me a couple hrs to get used to it.... but a lovely thing to waffle about on...on a nice day but i am an moto x er... who loves bikes ...not a motorcyclist.

By *ndebs47Couple  over a year ago

Bury

There’s nothing a Harley can do that a motorcycle can do much much better..........

You buy what takes your fancy. Ride it, like it, keep it. If yiu dont like it, try something else.

No one can tell you what will be good for you but you, yourself.

Two wheels is two wheels. Enjoy.

By *WRCCouple  over a year ago

Molesey

I understand (from owners I know) that the Breakout has terrible ground clearance, grounding the footpegs with ease; that’s something to bear in mind. I rode a Low Rider early this year and found it to be a superb bike and, if I was ready to change my Fat Bob, the one I’d get without question.

I tried one once, took it back quite quickly, preferred the Bell!

By *raesolaMan  over a year ago

leigh

I've had a few over the years and all I can say is go for an older model, an evo, absolutely fantastic to ride but as in an earlier post test ride a few and get what suits you

Wolverhampton

"I understand (from owners I know) that the Breakout has terrible ground clearance, grounding the footpegs with ease; that’s something to bear in mind. "

That's a good thing though because at least you can cheat and brag about dragging peg even though it's easy as hell

By *ewcouplemidsCouple  over a year ago

walsall

I know it's not conventional but love the v rod

By *evoncream2017Couple  over a year ago

exeter

Whatever you buy if it’s a show pony don’t ride it in the winter and wet roads

The chrome and paint hate it and it’s expensive to replace.

And your waterproof trousers will melt on the pipes unless you have the Harley ones

By *evoncream2017Couple  over a year ago

exeter

"All lads I know who’s had harleys have gone from totally in love to total hatred money pits in about 2 years

"

Love harleys but that’s so true

I have a my18 48 & a my19 breakout.the breakouts great on a run (i tend to use that if were heading out on a long run out for the day) the rest of the time i take the the 48 as its smiles every moment on that. Id get out and ride all of them see what you prefer.

By *edcar_guyMan  over a year ago

Redcar

I came to Harley's late in life. Had just about everything going previously from big tourers (BMW K1600) to sports bikes, sit up n begs to maxi scooters. Got my Fat Boy Harley 3 years ago and love it. Only a fair weather rider nowadays so a weekend toy but still do camping rallies etc. Ground clearance crap but you get used to it and ride accordingly leaving sparks for those behind. OE seat crap but aftermarket one sorts that. Love the riding position and character it has and always makes me smile when I ride it. Anybody up in North East message me let's get out on 2 wheels

By *iscreet-is-paramountMan  over a year ago

everywhere and somewhere

Awful shit things. Over priced junk. Anything else is much better.

My mate just bought a street bob. He loves it. He changed it for a 883 Harley and his other one he has is a super glide.

If buying new the 2021 Street bob with the bigger motor is better value.

It's gone up by only £500 over the last model and your getting a few extra parts with it as well as the bigger motor.

With all the Harley's I've had if always changed out the battery cables and installed a lithium Ion battery.

The battery's Harley put on them don't stand up to being left sitting around for a while which explains why so many have them on trickle charge.

Lithium Ion battery has greater cranking amps so kicks them big motors over with ease and doesn't draw the top off the battery.

Just something to consider if only buying to ride when it's dry.

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

"I getting a Harley but can’t decide between a low rider or a breakout any thoughts?"

The low rider will handle a lot better than the breakout, I have had both.

I have a street glide special now, best bike I ever had, despite looking big, it is not heavy and I can throw it around like a small bike. It is great for 2 up long trips and keeps the most of the shit weather off you,

I have been to faro and back in the summer of 19, ah remember those days, the smell of freedom ha ha.

But as with any Harley, the aftermarket is huge, so you can change any of them around to suit yourself.

By the way I have a Kawasaki and a Yamaha and a Honda so I am not just a Harley fan.

[Removed by poster at 03/02/21 13:13:15]

"That’s interesting i like the breakout as the riding position is better I imagine, which is better for longer runs ? I used to have sports bikes but no longer got that need for speed. "

Harley advice..... avoid, simply awful motorcycles

By *edyarisCouple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough or Ullswater

"Harley advice..... avoid, simply awful motorcycles"

I've never understood the fascination with them

By *ree-dom69Man  over a year ago

park gate

Have to admit don’t go don’t stop new ones appalling build quality

Sound just beautiful look good

Would a buy another probably not

Good luck with your bike it’s all personal choice

By *asseurMan  over a year ago

shrewsbury

I have a Harley Softail with detachable screen so got the best of both worlds

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

Nah don't bother with any of the new ones,over rated ,over priced and poor quality

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Only two Harley’s I’d ever spend my own money on & they are 50 & 80 yr old models.

S

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

[Removed by poster at 19/02/21 22:35:14]

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"I have a Harley Softail with detachable screen so got the best of both worlds

what a dreary twat

its not like a sunroof moron.

V"

Spat my vodka out when I read that, so funny but so true

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

A colleague had a new one, rode it to Italy and back, 'only broke down twice' my 45 year old Norton all the way to Austria and back, didn't brake down once.

I like the look, the sound, but just could not justify owning one as there are bikes further up my list. Surprised the quality of the non US made bikes are bad, would have thought they might be better than the US made models.

Although I’ve owned a Harley, it wasn’t really a Harley.. so not much help here.

Don't do it

Get a Triumph so much more fun

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"I getting a Harley but can’t decide between a low rider or a breakout any thoughts?

Don't do it

Get a Triumph so much more fun "

I went to a Harley shop to take a mate to pick up his new Harley a few years back. The salesman said to me 'What's standing out for you?' I said nothing. He came back at me saying there's a bit of Harley in everyone. I said yes maybe as I have a bike similar, a Kawasaki VN1500 Meanstreak, bit like a Harley but better built and more reliable, he just walked away knowing he had no argument

Indian Harley

» Add a new message to this topic