FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Intercom system any advice

Intercom system any advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icple4u2 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

Now the Mrs is joining me on the bike I'm looking for an intercom system. Anyone with advice on what to look for, any recommendations or what to avoid would be useful.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We use packtalk from cardo works ok. although if sat nav cuts in it sometimes refuses to go back to intercom.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Starcom or Autocom is the best we have found. Police use Autocom or they use to. I have had Starcom for many years. Great at high speed which a lot on the market let you down with on this aspect. Remember you get what you pay for. I went, and still use, the hard wire as the bluetooth just doesn't give you the volume control you need due to the restricted noise level that is required by law, again no good at high speed.

I wasted a lot of money trying to find the right product. Hope this helps

By *rivenSnowCouple  over a year ago

Uk

We both ride and use the Cardo Freecom. Great peice if kit in all weather's and had no problems with it at all. Easy to use even with thick gloves. Connects easily enough to whatever you use, other unit, satnav, phone.

Teesside

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly check them all out. I had a look on amazon but haven't heard of most of the makes they are pushing and I'm always sceptical of their reviews.

Another vote for Autocom from me, have used them a lot over the years including bike to bike always been very good. Having said that however I got hold of a relatively cheap Bluetooth set on eBay and they have been amazing, never let me down at any point and they also connect to other bikes who have Bluetooth helmets.

By *ikerbikermarkMan  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

I have the Sena 30 works very well with phone and sat nav. Also has Mesh mode which is so easy to connect up to about 8 riders or so.

I use Sena brilliant bit of kit, easy to set up and easy to use

By *YLINDERCouple  over a year ago

CARDIFF

We use cardo pactalk very good voice control FM radio works well. Although SLOW DOWN in my ear can be annoying.

"We use cardo pactalk very good voice control FM radio works well. Although SLOW DOWN in my ear can be annoying. "

By *reenman19Man  over a year ago

.....no......

Sena and cardo are both units I've had in the past.

Normally pick what your mates have already then you can mesh in.

If it's just for pillion then you don't need top end, I still have my first set of cheap Chinese freedcom units, they allow phone hookup for calls music and satnav. I paid 40 beans for that set.

I love my Sena comms! I bought the Sena SMH 10R dual so that both my pillion and I had comms while riding. When my son was big enough to come out with me I bought the individual unit for his helmet that way we could talk and I could make sure he was ok and holding on if I was about to overtake etc.

The kit is low profile and incredibly simple to install and use. Highly recommended!

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

We use senna 30. Brilliant.

Tried the cardo packtalk and could not get them to connect properly. No problems with the sienna's though.

By *annyc1978Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I've been using Freedconn t max and found it pretty reliable

By *jcukMan  over a year ago

Solihull

I had a Bluetooth one, think it was a Sena too. No complaints but near in mind ones that stick to your helmet do increase noise.

By *el_123Woman  over a year ago

portsmouth

I recently got a sena, would definitely recommend them if not a bit on the pricey side

Teesside

Finally took the plunge after reading several reviews online and in various bike mags and went with a senna system,the fact is was in the sale also helped. Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.

Durham

"Finally took the plunge after reading several reviews online and in various bike mags and went with a senna system,the fact is was in the sale also helped. Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions. "

Do let us know what its like, especially at speed, when you are all up and running and bike is back out on a tour

Teesside

"Finally took the plunge after reading several reviews online and in various bike mags and went with a senna system,the fact is was in the sale also helped. Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.

Do let us know what its like, especially at speed, when you are all up and running and bike is back out on a tour "

Will do, just need this lock down to come to an end so I can get out a look for a new bike

Durham

"Finally took the plunge after reading several reviews online and in various bike mags and went with a senna system,the fact is was in the sale also helped. Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.

Do let us know what its like, especially at speed, when you are all up and running and bike is back out on a tour

Will do, just need this lock down to come to an end so I can get out a look for a new bike "

Can't wait to get the bikes back on the road after lockdown/winter. At least the two of you can sit on the sofa with your comms conectected and learn how to get the best out of it before you get your new bike What bike you looking to get? New or used?

Teesside

Will do, just need this lock down to come to an end so I can get out a look for a new bike

Can't wait to get the bikes back on the road after lockdown/winter. At least the two of you can sit on the sofa with your comms conectected and learn how to get the best out of it before you get your new bike What bike you looking to get? New or used? "

Looking for a comfy tourer and from the various reviews I've read the BMW R1200RT is consistently up there but I've never ridden one so until garages are allowed to open and I can test one I'll be stuck reading up to see what else I may need to consider. When I do get round to it I'll be looking for a used one.

Can't wait to get the bikes back on the road after lockdown/winter. At least the two of you can sit on the sofa with your comms conectected and learn how to get the best out of it before you get your new bike What bike you looking to get? New or used?

Looking for a comfy tourer and from the various reviews I've read the BMW R1200RT is consistently up there but I've never ridden one so until garages are allowed to open and I can test one I'll be stuck reading up to see what else I may need to consider. When I do get round to it I'll be looking for a used one. "

Which Senna kit did you go for?

Ive had Triumph Trophy for almost 8 yrs and I have to say its a challenger for the 1200RT. Took it round 7 countries in Europe over a week and it was brilliant. Reckon the RT would be the same, Im just not a fan of BMWs lol

Teesside

I ended up with the senna 10s. I've looked at the trophy 1200 but it seems most sites only have older models for sale, I know they stopped producing them a few years ago but I've not seen any of the later models.

Yeah was a real shame Triumph took that decision as it’s a great bike but think the newest you’d get is an 18 plate. I keep getting asked when I’m going to trade for a new bike but the answer is always the same... when there’s something on the market that does everything mine does and has lol

Hope you find a tourer to your liking

By *talianduoCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"I ended up with the senna 10s. I've looked at the trophy 1200 but it seems most sites only have older models for sale, I know they stopped producing them a few years ago but I've not seen any of the later models. "

We bought a BMW 1150 RT at the beginning of 2020. I have never ridden a BMW before and must say it is very comfortable and also very quirky and very different from Japanese bikes. Seat height is an issue, because the seat is very wide Mrs can't touch the floor so won't ride it which is a shame.

Teesside

"I ended up with the senna 10s. I've looked at the trophy 1200 but it seems most sites only have older models for sale, I know they stopped producing them a few years ago but I've not seen any of the later models.

We bought a BMW 1150 RT at the beginning of 2020. I have never ridden a BMW before and must say it is very comfortable and also very quirky and very different from Japanese bikes. Seat height is an issue, because the seat is very wide Mrs can't touch the floor so won't ride it which is a shame."

Thanks for that, the seat height might be an issue, though I'd hope I'll be able to adjust it, as I've only got short legs so until I get a chance to sit on one I'll keep my options open.

Durham

Will do, just need this lock down to come to an end so I can get out a look for a new bike "

Just been looking at the price of these senna intercoms. At that price we do hope they do the job

Tried dozens of different designs. All if them a pain in the tits and you cant hear anything clearly above 30 mph .. or my exhausts..

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

I'm old school still rely on shouting and gesticulating

By *imis3Woman  over a year ago

Bristol, South West UK

"I'm old school still rely on shouting and gesticulating"

My Dad is from the same school

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

Its worked for me for last 40+ years never had to change the batteries only service it needs is a pint now and then to keep it lubricated

Pre planned Taps, hand signals and occasion raised voice worked well for me.

Meant I got some quiet time

By *iking SoftiesCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Me and my mate got a set of cheap V6 bluetooth units from eBay a few years ago and added another when R started riding too. For about £30 each they do the job we want them to do.

You lose it with noise on the motorway at high speeds but the rest of the time we can talk fine with a 400 - 600 m range and as most of our time is touring it is great.

worth a punt for the price.

By *lyn2000Man  over a year ago

london

Me and a riding mate got the v4 which has a but in radio aswell

By * New YorkieMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Does any of these systems utilize earbuds by chance? Whether wired or bluetooth it doesn't matter.. I am a earbud fan after trying integrated speakers. I once tried an expensive Nolan bluetooth system that sucked..

By *imetomingleMan  over a year ago

merchant City

"I recently got a sena, would definitely recommend them if not a bit on the pricey side "
great bit of kit, I second sena

By * and BCouple 28 weeks ago

Durham

"Now the Mrs is joining me on the bike I'm looking for an intercom system. Anyone with advice on what to look for, any recommendations or what to avoid would be useful. "

We know this is a very old thread so we thought you would definitely know how your senna intercom went. Reason We are asking is we could be looking for a bluetooth system as we cant get hold of head sets for our Starcom, think they must have gone bust or just stopped making them. So what is the senna like at speed for rider to pillion? Thank you in advance and sorry to resurrect this post

By (user no longer on site) 28 weeks ago

I use an interphone, intercom. It works pretty well once set up. It synchs really easily and has a long battery life. It's also pretty cheap.

By * and BCouple 28 weeks ago

Durham

"I use an interphone, intercom. It works pretty well once set up. It synchs really easily and has a long battery life. It's also pretty cheap. "

That's all good but our experience of blue tooth intercom is once over 40 to 50mph you can't turn the volume up to compensate due to the health and safety of maximum volume. That is why we ask the question of volume at speed as if you can't hear each other what is the point. Loads have said in this thread about connectivity. We all know they all connect well due to the advances of Bluetooth

By *dy-ukTV/TS 27 weeks ago

Offenham

I use to use autocom with pmr radios.

Now I packtalk bold, great solo for listening to satnav instructions. When I'm a large group touring use mesh (upto 20 riders) that also works well.

Although I had to admit, the last tour I did to Faro and back, I led all the way and was only with another rider. He moaned that much about having to stop every 30 minutes, I just never bothered connecting out headsets together. Told him they weren't compatible and he stopped whenever I decided to

By * and BCouple 27 weeks ago

Durham

"I use to use autocom with pmr radios.

Now I packtalk bold, great solo for listening to satnav instructions. When I'm a large group touring use mesh (upto 20 riders) that also works well.

Although I had to admit, the last tour I did to Faro and back, I led all the way and was only with another rider. He moaned that much about having to stop every 30 minutes, I just never bothered connecting out headsets together. Told him they weren't compatible and he stopped whenever I decided to "

We currently use Starcom which is basically the same as Autocom, brilliant piece of kit. Trouble is headsets are staring to get old and sound quality is diminishing and can't get hold of new ones for the new helmets I've been getting. Having used Bluetooth in the past and just didn't like them for the reason I stated. Few years ago now so maybe sound quality is better so being able to hear at speed is better which is what I am trying to find out. Price isn't the issue, if the quality is there I don't mind paying

Durham

Last thing we want is to have spent £500 on two sets and find out we can't hear each other once we hit 40mph

Offenham

"Last thing we want is to have spent £500 on two sets and find out we can't hear each other once we hit 40mph "

Packtalk bold / packtalk black (same units but one had jbl speakers) I can vouch for being clear and loud at motorway speeds.

As they're now superceded with the later cardo edge, that are overpriced and subscription based, I'd tend to either look for the packtalk bold or black at a good price or boycot the later cardo offerings, in protest to paying a subscription fees, for something you should just buy and use.

Durham

"Last thing we want is to have spent £500 on two sets and find out we can't hear each other once we hit 40mph

Packtalk bold / packtalk black (same units but one had jbl speakers) I can vouch for being clear and loud at motorway speeds.

As they're now superceded with the later cardo edge, that are overpriced and subscription based, I'd tend to either look for the packtalk bold or black at a good price or boycot the later cardo offerings, in protest to paying a subscription fees, for something you should just buy and use. "

Thank you for that, SUBSCRIPTION boy do these companies know how to milk us. I'm with you, no way would I be paying a subscription. Someone did mention Sena units so would love an answer to that if good at motorway speeds. Again thank you for the advice

By (user no longer on site) 27 weeks ago

"I use an interphone, intercom. It works pretty well once set up. It synchs really easily and has a long battery life. It's also pretty cheap.

That's all good but our experience of blue tooth intercom is once over 40 to 50mph you can't turn the volume up to compensate due to the health and safety of maximum volume. That is why we ask the question of volume at speed as if you can't hear each other what is the point. Loads have said in this thread about connectivity. We all know they all connect well due to the advances of Bluetooth "

Yes you can turn the volume up

By (user no longer on site) 27 weeks ago

Vote for cardo here. Got a q3, which I will one day upgrade for a packtaalk bold

Durham

Been reading up on the cardo Bold and Black. Looking like we could be going for the Packtalk Cardo Bold

Durham

"Last thing we want is to have spent £500 on two sets and find out we can't hear each other once we hit 40mph

As they're now superceded with the later cardo edge, that are overpriced and subscription based, I'd tend to either look for the packtalk bold or black at a good price or boycot the later cardo offerings, in protest to paying a subscription fees, for something you should just buy and use. "

Been reading up on all the Cardo intercoms on offer. Apparently the subscription thing on the cardo edge was a myth. Cardo had to release a press statement back in May to counteract this claim that was doing the rounds on social media. Could end up with Cardo Edge as it states it's 30 to 40%louder on a review I was reading. Not cheap though @ £478 for a pair

Offenham

As they're now superceded with the later cardo edge, that are overpriced and subscription based, I'd tend to either look for the packtalk bold or black at a good price or boycot the later cardo offerings, in protest to paying a subscription fees, for something you should just buy and use.

Been reading up on all the Cardo intercoms on offer. Apparently the subscription thing on the cardo edge was a myth. Cardo had to release a press statement back in May to counteract this claim that was doing the rounds on social media. Could end up with Cardo Edge as it states it's 30 to 40%louder on a review I was reading. Not cheap though @ £478 for a pair "

Thats interesting about the subscription, and the statement made in May.

I went to Faro, Portugal on my bike (ferry Plymouth to Santander) in July. I was going with 4 mates but two dropped out. Anyhow, around February when they were still very much going, they needed comms and wanted to all be compatible so they went with packtalk bold (so all had same as mine).

I actually looked for their comms and that's where I found out about subscription and it alienating a large number. I'm sure I actually saw it on their website too, maybe they've backttacked?

My black seems plenty loud enough.

A guy I know use organise trips to Normandy and used packtalk, recommended people joining without comms to get the same units. That's was the sole purpose of getting mine. We had 16 riders on that tour and all had great comms the whole time.

The only thing I didn't like, but didn't really look into it, as was only a week to put up with and didn't want to mess with the groups mesh connection, which was faultless at auto connecting every time.

Anyhow in mesh comms, I lost sat nav audio instructions, so had to keep checking the screen for direction. No biggy really.

You'll not be disappointed, whichever you choose.

At least the edge is newer technology

Durham

Been reading up on all the Cardo intercoms on offer. Apparently the subscription thing on the cardo edge was a myth. Cardo had to release a press statement back in May to counteract this claim that was doing the rounds on social media. Could end up with Cardo Edge as it states it's 30 to 40%louder on a review I was reading. Not cheap though @ £478 for a pair

Thats interesting about the subscription, and the statement made in May.

I went to Faro, Portugal on my bike (ferry Plymouth to Santander) in July. I was going with 4 mates but two dropped out. Anyhow, around February when they were still very much going, they needed comms and wanted to all be compatible so they went with packtalk bold (so all had same as mine).

I actually looked for their comms and that's where I found out about subscription and it alienating a large number. I'm sure I actually saw it on their website too, maybe they've backttacked?

My black seems plenty loud enough.

A guy I know use organise trips to Normandy and used packtalk, recommended people joining without comms to get the same units. That's was the sole purpose of getting mine. We had 16 riders on that tour and all had great comms the whole time.

The only thing I didn't like, but didn't really look into it, as was only a week to put up with and didn't want to mess with the groups mesh connection, which was faultless at auto connecting every time.

Anyhow in mesh comms, I lost sat nav audio instructions, so had to keep checking the screen for direction. No biggy really.

You'll not be disappointed, whichever you choose.

At least the edge is newer technology

"

Yes maybe a backtrack by cardo like you say. Thanks for all the info, helps a lot

Durham

Aha, been reading more. Cardo brought out a packtalk custom this year which is subscription based. The edge isn't which is the statement they made, THE EDGE IS NOT SUBSCRIPTION. Hadn't even see the card custom model till I was just digging about subscription. It's a flaming minefield. I'll get there in the end

Offenham

Yeah I just looked myself and the cardo custom is subscription based, on their website.

It still alienates me and makes me think they could start to force that in future. Still think it's a bad move on their part, and shows how much control they have, over all their devices using apps.

I see you're in Durham, I do the Storm'in the Castle and Into The Valley up that way.

Durham

"Yeah I just looked myself and the cardo custom is subscription based, on their website.

It still alienates me and makes me think they could start to force that in future. Still think it's a bad move on their part, and shows how much control they have, over all their devices using apps.

I see you're in Durham, I do the Storm'in the Castle and Into The Valley up that way. "

We used to do them both. Don't really do rallies anymore though. Never liked Stormin, only went as we were part of a club. Into the Valley was one of our favourite.

Durham

We have bit the bullet and bought the Cardo Edge, one for each helmet. Now to connect all the pairing stuff up on apps and all that crap. This may take some time

» Add a new message to this topic