Leyland

Yes

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes hi all

By *heShyBiCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

Mr here, setting up the R1 for he track for next year after taking it on a few this year. Wanting to put it on slicks but after seeing the price of them...anybody know of part worn slicks anywhere?

Track day rider here. Not been able to get out this year but hope to get in lots this next year. Hope the rules will be relaxed just enough.

By *ouble_The_DelightCouple  over a year ago

Wakefield

Yes

I've got loads of scrubs from stock 1000 BSB if any good only want slicks when it warms right up

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

Plenty of part worn slicks on Facebook

Beware though the likes of Pirelli sc0 are only good for 10 to 15 laps as they are so soft.

I use sc1’s on the front.

Sc2’s at the back

Generally use two rears to one front.

You do need a good set of tyre warmers and a genny to run the warmers.

"Mr here, setting up the R1 for he track for next year after taking it on a few this year. Wanting to put it on slicks but after seeing the price of them...anybody know of part worn slicks anywhere?"

R1 is a big bike for only tracking a few years.

Part worns always on ebay fb etc

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

Why buy a set of second hand cast offs. You don't one the history regardless of what the seller tell you.

You don't have to spend silly money. I tried Continental ContiTrack slicks this year and have been very impressed. Sub £300 for 120/200

"Why buy a set of second hand cast offs. You don't one the history regardless of what the seller tell you.

You don't have to spend silly money. I tried Continental ContiTrack slicks this year and have been very impressed. Sub £300 for 120/200

Yeah definitely agree. Especially on a r1 you want a decent set.

"

Coventry

"Mr here, setting up the R1 for he track for next year after taking it on a few this year. Wanting to put it on slicks but after seeing the price of them...anybody know of part worn slicks anywhere?

R1 is a big bike for only tracking a few years.

Part worns always on ebay fb etc"

I tracked the R1 last year on metzler m9rr's just as a road bike. I was amongst the fastest in the inters which I didn't think was too bad for my first year of trackdays. As for the tyres, thought they were fantastic for a road tyre, had a few people come up to me and were surprised I was on road tyres. Boosted my confidence lol.

Aye that's great man. Confidence is a massive part of it

Coventry

"Plenty of part worn slicks on Facebook

Beware though the likes of Pirelli sc0 are only good for 10 to 15 laps as they are so soft.

I use sc1’s on the front.

Sc2’s at the back

Generally use two rears to one front.

You do need a good set of tyre warmers and a genny to run the warmers.

"

Yes have heard they are soft to be fair. Don't think I'm going to want anything too soft as cant afford to keep changing them and I'm no bsb rider.

Coventry

"Why buy a set of second hand cast offs. You don't one the history regardless of what the seller tell you.

"

I'll have a look at them thanks. Do you see many issues with going from a 190 up to a 200?

Pontefract

[Removed by poster at 31/12/20 01:16:22]

Pontefract

At your next trackday get suspension set up and get some instruction. With slicks you have to keep heat in the tyre. But up to you

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

I'll have a look at them thanks. Do you see many issues with going from a 190 up to a 200?"

My bike runs a 200/55 standard. I have run 200/60 SC slicks in the past, it just drops in a little quicker.

If you went 190 to 200 it might feel a little slower to turn in.

By *ibaldguyMan  over a year ago

pontefract

If the standard size is 190, you’d be better trying a 180 than a 200. It gives you a larger contact patch at a greater lean angle.

By *o la laMan  over a year ago

newcastle

I race and I have some scrub bridgestone slicks if your after used but I have a couple of sets of new ones if you want.

Pm me if you want.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"If the standard size is 190, you’d be better trying a 180 than a 200. It gives you a larger contact patch at a greater lean angle. "

Depends on the bike. If you have a GSXR750 you're better running a 180/60 rear tyre. Being a 60 profile you get a similar size contact patch as a 190 but with the quicker steering.

If you have an early R1 or ZX10 a 200/60 would be better.

I prefer the Continental Race Attacks or their slicks myself.

Coventry

Bike is a 2002 R1. For an old and what is now considered underpowered bike it can still hold it's own with no electronic assists and what not. 190/50 is the standard rear size.

The metzlers I've been using I was really surprised with. Not too bad in the wet when they needed to be but in the dry I found I could be quite cheeky with them. Never had a slip in the dry. Only time they let go was when it had started to drizzle at donington which is known for being greasy in the wet and a bit of a cheeky late brake into redgate saw the front slip but I just powered out.

Might consider leaving them on for the colder months then moving to slicks come summer time.

Lets organise a trackday orgy

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"Bike is a 2002 R1. For an old and what is now considered underpowered bike it can still hold it's own with no electronic assists and what not. 190/50 is the standard rear size.

The metzlers I've been using I was really surprised with. Not too bad in the wet when they needed to be but in the dry I found I could be quite cheeky with them. Never had a slip in the dry. Only time they let go was when it had started to drizzle at donington which is known for being greasy in the wet and a bit of a cheeky late brake into redgate saw the front slip but I just powered out.

Might consider leaving them on for the colder months then moving to slicks come summer time.

"

If you want to stick with a 190 size get a 190/55 fitted. The 50 profile is very flat, the 55 profile is ideal for track days, given quicker steering etc.

By *iker BullMan  over a year ago

leeds

Metzler rr

» Add a new message to this topic