FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Fuel tap weeping

Fuel tap weeping

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *artyanna16200 OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

I have a leaking cock(dont laugh) , which in warmer temperatures is unobtrusive, just an odour of fresh petrol, but as it was about -6 tye other night , there was a visible rivulet of petrol down the side of my bike fairing beneath the tap, i have bought a little servicing kit , with gaskets and a tiny spring (god knows where that goes), to refresh the fuel tap but i dont have tools with me as im sofa surfing in manchester. Does anyone have time and skill to help me sort this thing out, payment in kind!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"I have a leaking cock(dont laugh) , which in warmer temperatures is unobtrusive, just an odour of fresh petrol, but as it was about -6 tye other night , there was a visible rivulet of petrol down the side of my bike fairing beneath the tap, i have bought a little servicing kit , with gaskets and a tiny spring (god knows where that goes), to refresh the fuel tap but i dont have tools with me as im sofa surfing in manchester. Does anyone have time and skill to help me sort this thing out, payment in kind! "

What bike is it?

Its not difficult to remove a fuel tap. The hardest thing is probably to remove the fuel tank. Usually only one or two bolts.

Drain the fuel first. Once the fuel tank is off its usually only a couple of small bolts to remove the fuel tap. There will be a gasket or O ring there, look for any damage.

Sounds like you have a diaphragm fuel tap, usually held together with 4 bolts on the back of the tap. Undo those, you will see the spring and diaphragm and a couple of O rings. Pull them off gently and replace.

I know its easier said than done but you tube is your friend. Best of luck

By *ent in BlackMan  over a year ago

Silsden

As said above it’s a reasonable job to do.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"I have a leaking cock(dont laugh) , which in warmer temperatures is unobtrusive, just an odour of fresh petrol, but as it was about -6 tye other night , there was a visible rivulet of petrol down the side of my bike fairing beneath the tap, i have bought a little servicing kit , with gaskets and a tiny spring (god knows where that goes), to refresh the fuel tap but i dont have tools with me as im sofa surfing in manchester. Does anyone have time and skill to help me sort this thing out, payment in kind! "

You really need to get this repaired as it is a fire risk, you don't want to go up in a blue flash whilst sitting on it

Like the other posters said its not to hard of a job but I think they over looked your peril at having no tools to do the job. Hope you get it all sorted before your next trip OP

Near Wells

No special tools needed for this job. A couple of 10 or 12mm sockets or spanners, or an Allen key to remove the tank.

A screwdriver or pliers to remove jubilee clips or petrol pipe clips and either a Phillips screwdriver or a small socket for the fuel tap.

I'd ask if I could borrow if I didn't have any tools.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0l-xLZuY24

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

when a petrol leak/spill evaporates over time it smells like a gas leak. so if you think you smell gas it probably wont be.

By *artyanna16200 OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

The cold weather seems to have exacerbated the leak , have a cover for bike and that seems to have helped keep the pipe and tap from being too exposed to extreme cold, moving to leeds soon, will he re united with my tools then , will have a go , just worried about threading the four retaining screws which the filter sits between, they are cross head and dont look like they will unscrew without a fight

Near Wells

It's a shame you're up in Leeds and I'm down in Somerset.

Make sure you have a decent screw driver and it fits correctly. Ideally spray the screws with something like WD40 before hand and then again before you start.

Place the screw driver in the screw. You now need to tap the end of the screw driver with a heavy hammer two or three times This will hopefully dislodge any corrosion on the threads.

Then try and undo the screws. If the screw driver moves and the screw doesn't, stop immediately. Hopefully with enough pressure the screw will move slowly, if not more tapping.

Best of luck again

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

It was all part of riding a bike years ago, leaky petrol tank on a two stroke 250. Loads a fun

» Add a new message to this topic