FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Bikes out and about again

Bikes out and about again

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Had a few going past my place today and yesterday its been quiet since lockdown started but it seems some people can't resist the temptation to go for a ride.

I've been seeing a few bikes when I am on my way home from work going on "essential journeys".

I past two today who had just been nicked for speeding and were getting a roadside lecture from Mr policeman.

I've still only used mine for commuting but not for a few weeks because of the shit weather (there are no facilities at work for me to dry my gear or me if I get wet so I don't use it if its raining).

I'm off work for a week so I'll use it to go shopping but I'll still feel guilty if I just go for a ride along with the fear of getting stopped with no excuse for being out on it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Lets hope if they were just out on a jolly they got a fine for breaking lockdown laws too when Mr Police man was speaking to them

By *yronutMan  over a year ago

St Austell

Watching a tread on Facebook it ‘sounds’ like the raceways are open all over the country.... Spring has sprung and the sap is rising.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Lets hope if they were just out on a jolly they got a fine for breaking lockdown laws too when Mr Police man was speaking to them "

I'm not one for condoning law breaking and being honest my bikes haven't moved since October but I can go out to exercise, whether that be walking or out on my MTB.

So what's the difference?

If they had full tanks before they left home and didn't stop why would it be an issue?

Durham

"Lets hope if they were just out on a jolly they got a fine for breaking lockdown laws too when Mr Police man was speaking to them

I'm not one for condoning law breaking and being honest my bikes haven't moved since October but I can go out to exercise, whether that be walking or out on my MTB.

If they had full tanks before they left home and didn't stop why would it be an issue?"

And if there's an issue. Fire, Police and Ambulance to an already stretched Emergency service. Maybe ask the family of the mountain rescue guy who went to help a guy camping on a mountain, what harm was he doing? That emergency service guy is not longer able to walk. Stay Home a little longer in support of the NHS. These people breaking the rules even had the audacity to clap the NHS just before they went out for a Jolly. We despair

By *axtenMan  over a year ago

Stokesley

Bantam 175, 1971 ..good, bad or indifferent?

Fancy an oldie to amble through the sales and moors this summer if we can ..any top tips?

I'm not a beginner btw, just never had a Bantam

Stokesley

Bantam 175, 1971 ..good, bad or indifferent?

Fancy an oldie to amble through the sales and moors this summer if we can ..any top tips?

I'm not a beginner btw, just never had a Bantam

Stokesley

Dales, not bloody sales!

I'm in North Yorkshire, so great scenery and villages around here, perfect local biking

By *imBanksMan  over a year ago

Letchworth

Nothing to stop you going to get essential groceries etc on your bike OP. I commute too and run a few bits to my folks now & again as they are shielding.

It's tempting to take the "scenic route" sometimes but we have to be patient however frustrating.

"Lets hope if they were just out on a jolly they got a fine for breaking lockdown laws too when Mr Police man was speaking to them

If they had full tanks before they left home and didn't stop why would it be an issue?

And if there's an issue. Fire, Police and Ambulance to an already stretched Emergency service. Maybe ask the family of the mountain rescue guy who went to help a guy camping on a mountain, what harm was he doing? That emergency service guy is not longer able to walk. Stay Home a little longer in support of the NHS. These people breaking the rules even had the audacity to clap the NHS just before they went out for a Jolly. We despair "

The point I'm making is motorcycling is a relatively safe pass time as far as COVID transmission is concerned.

If you use your brains and ride safely there shouldn't be an issue.

Within the last lockdown rules we where allowed to ride.

As I said I'm not condoning law breaking and I have not done so myself but I can go put and put a strain on the NHS exercising by falling off my push bike or tripping over a curb.

I'm an essential working who is high risk also and that doesn't seem to matter does it?

Perhaps it is time after this is over to start pointing the finger at successive governments for the total neglect and lack of funding of the NHS that's got us in this mess to begin with instead of helping those in power get away with the mess they've made by glossing over their neglect of our paid services by snitching on each other.

By *rincess and her FrogCouple  over a year ago

congleton

Been using mine throughout (key worker) till I broke my wrist yesterday (not a bike accident). Parked up for 6 weeks now

Was walking along South Shields beach yesterday and it was like Douglas Prom in TT week. Well, not quite but loads out when they shouldn't be.

I can wait another few weeks before I get mine out.

Anyone fancy a meet up when we can. Regular around Carter Bar and Keilder.

Oops, spelt Kielder wrong.

Durham

"Was walking along South Shields beach yesterday and it was like Douglas Prom in TT week. Well, not quite but loads out when they shouldn't be.

I can wait another few weeks before I get mine out.

Anyone fancy a meet up when we can. Regular around Carter Bar and Keilder."

Best Biking roads in Britain. We've took a few on that route over the years. Biker mates from down south who have stayed with us over the years were blown away with the route from Newcastle to Carter Bar (A68)

By *hrough the looking gla55Couple  over a year ago

Cheam

So many about now

Durham

"So many about now "

Wonder how many of these people out for a jolly criticised a certain somebody for a jolly to Barnard Castle.

"So many about now

Wonder how many of these people out for a jolly criticised a certain somebody for a jolly to Barnard Castle. "

I think in all honesty most folks adhered to the lock down rules until the Barnard Castle incident and because he got away with it, with such a poor excuse, some folks thought did it if he can do it so can I.

If he'd been prosecuted with the full weight of the law, perhaps so many folks wouldn't be out on needless journeys.

Durham

"So many about now

Wonder how many of these people out for a jolly criticised a certain somebody for a jolly to Barnard Castle.

I think in all honesty most folks adhered to the lock down rules until the Barnard Castle incident and because he got away with it, with such a poor excuse, some folks thought did it if he can do it so can I.

If he'd been prosecuted with the full weight of the law, perhaps so many folks wouldn't be out on needless journeys."

Wow, like we have said before, people find all kinds of excuses to justify them having no regard for others well being. Stay Home and protect the NHS. How many clapped in support of the NHS but because one idiot got away with it, they were the next idiots to just go out in their cars or on their bikes, well after they finished clapping

Looking forward to getting back out on the bike

Durham

"Looking forward to getting back out on the bike "

Our excitement is boiling over. 29th March, but the weekend after that is Easter. We posted we'd be off to a well known seaside resort without thinking 'Easter Weekend'. We calmed ourselves of our excitement and decided we'd stay away from the hotspots. We'll be out but not a crazy busy area. Maybe somewhere a bit more secluded and quiet but we will be out on the bikes

"So many about now

If he'd been prosecuted with the full weight of the law, perhaps so many folks wouldn't be out on needless journeys.

Wow, like we have said before, people find all kinds of excuses to justify them having no regard for others well being. Stay Home and protect the NHS. How many clapped in support of the NHS but because one idiot got away with it, they were the next idiots to just go out in their cars or on their bikes, well after they finished clapping "

Not an excuse at all, certainly not from me as I've not been out since before lockdown started but an observation yes.

People will follow some one who leads from the front, obviously government cronies didn't want to do that.

Spend every weekend cleaning her suppose I can wait a bit longer, see you out there

"Spend every weekend cleaning her suppose I can wait a bit longer, see you out there "

Ditto, been nothing but a garage fest since the lockdown started and I still have loads to do on one bike....

Mine needs a service before I go out, any recommendations around northeast on a 09 z1000?

It was the same over here last weekend all the seaside towns rammed and lots of bikes about. Two guys from the bike group I'm admin for crashed there bikes while out for a jolly thankfully no injuries, but could've been a different story then adding to the strain our NHS hero's are already under. Anyway I've also been doing lots of work to mine since before Christmas and it's sitting roaring to get out, but not for abit yet.

"Been using mine throughout (key worker) till I broke my wrist yesterday (not a bike accident). Parked up for 6 weeks now "

Ouch! Sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery, but you might find it will take longer than 6 weeks for a wrist #

Durham

"Been using mine throughout (key worker) till I broke my wrist yesterday (not a bike accident). Parked up for 6 weeks now

Ouch! Sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery, but you might find it will take longer than 6 weeks for a wrist #"

I broke my wrist one year at TT, not a bike accident, wouldn't let them put a plaster on it as I wouldn't have been able to ride the bike. They gave me a wrist support, it was sore riding home but I never stopped riding my bike. It was the height of summer, no way was I stopping riding.

"Been using mine throughout (key worker) till I broke my wrist yesterday (not a bike accident). Parked up for 6 weeks now

Ouch! Sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery, but you might find it will take longer than 6 weeks for a wrist #

I broke my wrist one year at TT, not a bike accident, wouldn't let them put a plaster on it as I wouldn't have been able to ride the bike. They gave me a wrist support, it was sore riding home but I never stopped riding my bike. It was the height of summer, no way was I stopping riding. "

That's great! You were lucky, but obviously it depends on the type of #.

It's healed by 6wks, but range of movement and strength can be an issue and rehabilitation will/can take time.

Durham

I broke my wrist one year at TT, not a bike accident, wouldn't let them put a plaster on it as I wouldn't have been able to ride the bike. They gave me a wrist support, it was sore riding home but I never stopped riding my bike. It was the height of summer, no way was I stopping riding.

That's great! You were lucky, but obviously it depends on the type of #.

It's healed by 6wks, but range of movement and strength can be an issue and rehabilitation will/can take time. "

I had to learn to change gear without clutch as it was hurting like hell when using clutch, worked out for me but I cried a lot with the pain

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I never understood why if you ride a motorbike you may put extra pressure on the NHS.

I have been riding for over 40 years and have never had to use the NHS for motorcycle road accidents. If I thought I would, I would be questioning my ability to ride a motorbike. True motorbikes can be dangerous but so can cars and lorries etc. I'm still riding most days to work and yes occasionally I'll take the long way home and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Unfortunately I've had a couple of racing accidents that have caused me to use the NHS, but motorsports are not starting until at least the 12th April. Track days though begin on the 29th March. Now that will mostly likely add to the NHS workload.

Durham

"I never understood why if you ride a motorbike you may put extra pressure on the NHS.

I have been riding for over 40 years and have never had to use the NHS for motorcycle road accidents. If I thought I would, I would be questioning my ability to ride a motorbike. True motorbikes can be dangerous but so can cars and lorries etc. I'm still riding most days to work and yes occasionally I'll take the long way home and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Unfortunately I've had a couple of racing accidents that have caused me to use the NHS, but motorsports are not starting until at least the 12th April. Track days though begin on the 29th March. Now that will mostly likely add to the NHS workload. "

March 29th is end of lockdown so legal to travel again as the numbers being admitted to hospital are reducing dramatically.

I wouldn't say its a generalisation putting pressure on the NHS but at this very moment we are asked to stay home to protect the NHS as not to put any extra pressure on NHS. Essential travel whether it be on a motorbike, car or pushbike is not what we are all on about. I for one used to be an advanced instructor and never would tell anyone you shouldn't ride a bike thinking you have the ability to stay out of trouble. We teach to watch out for the dangers the road throws at you and never to believe once you are fully trained you will never be involved in an accident, even though passing an advanced course reduces being involved in an accident reduces by 75%. Having road craft is an excellent way forward to improve your riding, even those that think they know it all it will blow your mind

I'll admit throughout the lockdown 2 & 3 I've been riding the bike still..

I'd literally not long got the bike when 2 was imposed, but I was still working from the office so going in everyday. Was stopped a few times but explained what part of my job was and was just told to ride safe etc.

With Lockdown 3 I only use the bike if going for shopping or if im needed to sort a tech issue out /office issue, as I've been furloughed...

For those who are riding though stay safe!

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Just a point here. Motorcycling is a proven beneficiary for mental health.

This fact has been known for years. So Sunday I improved my mental health.

I was out Sunday up to Keilder and back a68 although was freezing by time I got back it was bloody good to get out on it

By *dinspleasureCouple  over a year ago

Dorking

Been using the bike for work on the few dry sunny days we have had, rather embarrassed though as it’s been like the TT on my local roads past few days in the warmer weather and know full well it’s non essential travel. Hard to defend.

Durham

"Been using the bike for work on the few dry sunny days we have had, rather embarrassed though as it’s been like the TT on my local roads past few days in the warmer weather and know full well it’s non essential travel. Hard to defend. "

Yes hard to defend as people always say bikers are respectful. Diddly Wacks everywhere though. Not everyone has everyones well being at heart.

» Add a new message to this topic