FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > August Tour

August Tour

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ainbow_Road OP   Woman  over a year ago

Near Leamington Spa

Hey Y'all

I'm hoping, over the course of 10 days to head all the way from the south coast (prob heading up the east coast) to the Scottish Highlands and back down again (prob down the west coast) any suggestions for places to visit, roads to ride etc?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Hey Y'all

I'm hoping, over the course of 10 days to head all the way from the south coast (prob heading up the east coast) to the Scottish Highlands and back down again (prob down the west coast) any suggestions for places to visit, roads to ride etc?"

I stayed at a brilliant campsite just south of Inverness. Biker friendly, very helpful (offered me some fuel when I explained that my bike had just gone onto reserve) and good facilities.

I'll try to find the name and address for you and either add it on here or PM it to you. There's also a good site at John O'Groats. Definitely take your waterproofs though, you'll need them. Have a great time doing it, the roads in the Highlands are brilliant for bikes, just watch out for the sheep on the roads, the buggers have got a death wish

Places to visit, there's loads and you could stop every one hundred yards for photos too.

Try Smoo Caves at Durness and Dunnet Head along the top.

Also beware of camper Vans as there's loads of them.

Be prepared for longer journey times as a lot of the main roads are single track.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

If heading up the East side I would definitely say from Newcastle to Carter Bar heading up A68. If you catch it right there's a Scottish Piper on the border. We would say that stretch of road is one of the best biking roads in Britain. It's a hard call as the North East coast line is Stunning, especially when heading up Northumberland, Seahouses, Bamburgh Castle, Holy Island and Berwick. BUT A68 is most definitely the better biking road as the A1 is a nightmare.

By *urham 3 riversMan  over a year ago

Co. Durham

agreed with the above but go yo Whitby first then over the North Yorks moors then onto the A68

By *iking SoftiesCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

The A93 old Military road through the Cairngorms is a great road, amazing views and a real rollercoaster. It takes some time but a far better prospect than the A9.

Sounds a great trip, enjoy.

"The A93 old Military road through the Cairngorms is a great road, amazing views and a real rollercoaster. It takes some time but a far better prospect than the A9.

Sounds a great trip, enjoy.

Yes I erGlen Shee and The Lecht is great and a fast route if you're so inclined.

Torridon is one of the most remote places I've visited in the British Isles too.

"

» Add a new message to this topic